Ozark Mafia Endgame

Author: Lunatic

Total: 50
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
theme tip: If Jacob snell is a highly powered townie, Marty Byrde is as scum as it gets.
badger
Debates: 0
badger
Mods need to quietly do away with theme analysis also tbh. It's a tricky one because it gets people talking, but I don't know what sort of game some people are playing at all. But mostly I just hate the thought of rolling mafia and having to read a bunch of shit and scramble for a decent fake claim. 

Theme analysis is a crutch. People are entirely readable and fun to read. 
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@RationalMadman
The fact that the daughter of the Byrdes was thirdparty was a huge, huge clue that if the theme-split was straightforward, byrdes were scum.
Makes sense.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Vader
Ok. I will some time after work today
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@badger
I get that. It feels like finding a fake claim is entirely random as mafia. If you aren’t gutsy enough to pick a major-ish character, you have to be really good at blending in that game to survive. Get too aggressive with your fake claim pick and you get CC’d. Even if your pick is picked with the right amount of aggression, it may not fit the theme perfectly and you get lynched anyways. If the mod gives fake claims, they have to perfectly be not too detectable, but not a free pass for the rest of the game either.

But yeah, it gets people talking. This game too. Disc’s idea of gender claiming was the center of DP1 and kickstarted the game. Without one, DP1 can feel like a glorified RVS.

I did find something interesting while digging through Lunatic’s past games. In Overwatch Mafia, he gave the scum team a pool of safe fake claims to choose from. I like this and I think the solution may lie in an evolved form of this idea.

What if we gave the mafia a pool of fake claims, but specifically designed some of the claims to be better than others, and made sure mafia was aware that some are better than others? Sure, they still have to do a bit of research to pick a good fake claim, but with some fake claims already on the table, it becomes less random when picking one since you know the choices provided aren’t going to be CC’d. It would, in theory, encourage mafia to try to get town to claim first so they can see which fake claim picks from the pool are the best, and it would mean they have to try to get more out of town while avoiding the suspicions of town.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@badger
Oh and a side note: I know mafia teams will try to have town claim first to see what town characters are already in the game to avoid getting CC’d. But this would be different because in my idea they would be using town claims to gauge the benefits of each fake claim already given to them. It would make fake claiming a little easier on mafia teams, but still require some skill to pick the better ones from the pool.
badger
Debates: 0
badger
-->
@Mharman
I think your idea is pretty much spot on dude. 
Mharman
Mharman
Again, thank you for putting this game on. I didn’t like everything about it, but I had fun and it was still well designed. It was pretty balanced power role wise despite being compete role madness, which is really hard to do and I am impressed by your game crafting skills.

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@badger
Thanks. Just don’t give mafia every possible fake claim so that they still have the freedom to craft one of their own if they want to. Forgot to mention that.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Lunatic
Nvm I looked at my schedule wrong I have 2nd shift not 1st shift today. Going to post my sign-ups rn.

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Lunatic
@Vader
Meant to tag Supa not you in the previous post.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
I got shooted =/
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Mharman played well
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Mharman
@badger
Luna gave us 3 fake claims and 3 fake roles
Incel-chud
Debates: 6
Incel-chud
-->
@badger
But mostly I just hate the thought of rolling mafia and having to read a bunch of shit and scramble for a decent fake claim. 
Agreed. This is why most of the time as mafia, I just claim my real character.  If I get caught because of theme analysis, the game was fucked anyway
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@badger
Mods need to quietly do away with theme analysis also tbh. It's a tricky one because it gets people talking, but I don't know what sort of game some people are playing at all. But mostly I just hate the thought of rolling mafia and having to read a bunch of shit and scramble for a decent fake claim. 

Theme analysis is a crutch. People are entirely readable and fun to read. 
I actually agree with you there, but theres only a few people who actually agree with you and me on that note. Games with theme analysis tend to be a lot more active and garner more interest unfortunately. Games I've done where theme didn't matter tend to flop activity wise. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Mharman
Again, thank you for putting this game on. I didn’t like everything about it, but I had fun and it was still well designed. It was pretty balanced power role wise despite being compete role madness, which is really hard to do and I am impressed by your game crafting skills.

I appreciate that, thanks for playing and putting a lot of effort into it!
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@RationalMadman
Theme split was "The Byrdes vs everyone else" because in the show the Byrdes (while their intentions are innocent) completely destroy the lives of everyone they encounter in the Ozarks.
I knew this the moment that Earth's character was town.

Not sure why others didn't pick up on it.

Figured it would be a pretty easy theme split to figure out. I am surprised they outright lynched earth from his claim considering there were many other townies with "bad characters" to back that up. Though inactivity from them might have had something to do with that. Max was helen pierce for example, who is just as bad as snell in some ways. 
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@badger
If Max wasn't inactive, I called this entire game D1. 
His claim would have vindicated earth too, and caught sui in dp2. huge shame. 
Mharman
Mharman
Game 355 in the archives. Marking it here so I don't lose track