Total: 175
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@oromagi
->
@Shila
More people know and have seen VanGogh’s work than care to follow Putins war.

color me skeptical re: that assertion

The Van Gogh Museum has passed the milestone of 2 million Instagram followers! ..

Is Van Gogh the greatest artist of all time?
Image result for Van Gogh followers
Vincent van Gogh was a Dutch painter, generally considered to be the greatest after Rembrandt van Rijn, and one of the greatest of the Post-Impressionists. He sold only one artwork during his life, but in the century after his death he became perhaps the most recognized painter of all time.

Vincent van Gogh lived more than 115 years ago, and yet his artwork is still altering the way mankind views beauty, persona, individuality, and style in art. His thousands of paintings and drawings have various characteristics that have been copied by thousands and duplicated by none. Van Gogh's unique life has inspired millions to become active in art. In fact, what many people today consider to be the archetypical "artist persona" is largely a result of his influence. Perhaps the most impressive aspect is that artists continue to mimic the style that Van Gogh created over one hundred years ago.

Do you want to be coloured stupid?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Shila
-->@Shila

The Van Gogh Museum has passed the milestone of 2 million Instagram followers! ..

80% of US voters are following the War in Ukraine, that's .8 x 168 million = 134,400,000 which is more than 67 times 2 millon and that's just in American.  I would assume most of Europe is paying attention and significant percentages of the rest of the world.

9 days later

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Most people are paying attention to the recessions that are funding the war of oligarchs to end all oligarchal wars.
The age of imperial hawkishness is at an end. 2016 is calling, and they want their standard of living back.

See Italy for Exhibit A.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Got that folks?  Putin's lapdog wannabe thinks 

• Putin is fighting to end oligarchies
  • Putin is fighting to end imperial hawkishness on the day he forced Ukrainians at gunpoint to vote to become Russia and like magic got 99% of the vote
Orwellian doublethink doesn't get more backwards than Greyparrot's cucked up reasoning, does it? 

Shila
Shila
-->
@oromagi

--> @Shila
-->@Shila

80% of US voters are following the War in Ukraine, that's .8 x 168 million = 134,400,000 which is more than 67 times 2 millon and that's just in American.  I would assume most of Europe is paying attention and significant percentages of the rest of the world.
80% of Americans voted to invade Iraq. But they could not point to Iraq on a map. It turned out no WMD were  found in Iraq. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
It turned out no WMD were  found in Iraq. 

After America votes out the warhawks, it will be the case that there were no Ukrainian speaking people in the Donbass. Despite what the media says.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
It turned out no WMD were  found in Iraq. 

After America votes out the warhawks, it will be the case that there were no Ukrainian speaking people in the Donbass. Despite what the media says
There are very few Native Indian speaking  people in most states in America. That doesn’t prove America didn’t once belong to them.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
That doesn’t prove America didn’t once belong to them.
Exactly, nor does the lack of Ukraine speakers in the Donbass prove that Ukraine owns the Donbass. Quite the opposite.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
That doesn’t prove America didn’t once belong to them.
Them as in Native Indians. America once belonged to Native Indians.
Exactly, nor does the lack of Ukraine speakers in the Donbass prove that Ukraine owns the Donbass. Quite the opposite
Russia already called the Donbas annexed land by Russia. The referendum was to have the locals in that region accept the land as annexed and now belong to  Russia and therefore should be defended as Russian territory.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Russia already called the Donbas annexed land by Russia. The referendum was to have the locals in that region accept the land as annexed and now belong to  Russia and therefore should be defended as Russian territory.

With the important condition that Western Ukraine has no say as to what the future of the Donbas will be.
Only the people of Donbas are allowed to decide this.

Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila

With the important condition that Western Ukraine has no say as to what the future of the Donbas will be.
Only the people of Donbas are allowed to decide this.
Which was the result of forced referendum on the Donbas Ukrainians to recognize the Donbas as annexed territory now part of Russia and be willing to defended it as Russian territory.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Donbas is not  Ukranian anymore.

Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
Donbas is not  Ukranian anymore.
The international body  still  see Donbas as Ukraine territory and not Russian.
The president of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy vows to fight Russia till  every inch of Ukrainian territory is recovered. And that includes Crimea which Russia annexed in 1914.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
And the people of Donbas will continue to fight western Ukraine as they did in 2014.

This time, Western Ukraine will lose. The people of Donbas will win.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
In 2014, Donbas separatists did not have 300,000 troops backing them.

2022 is a whole different war from 2014 with a much different outcome.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
In 2014, Donbas separatists did not have 300,000 troops backing them.

2022 is a whole different war from 2014 with a much different outcome.
The Russians have already suffered heavy casualties like 120,000 soldiers dead.
That was unheard of in 2014. Nor is the quality of weapons and AID Ukraine is receiving from America and NATO countries. 
Russia was forced to withdraw from Afghanistan. Ukraine is many times more harder to face.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Many of the weapons shipped to Ukraine were sold on the black market. Ukraine has neither the troops, nor the money to win in the Donbas like they did in 2014.

The fact that so many died so far is simply more proof of this.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
To state that Ukraine has the resources to take back the Donbas in 2022 or that the world is in a financial or military position to offer the amount of military aid required to do so is a lie.

Straight up lie.

Western Ukraine knows this, but they still haven't milked the last drop of international aid to sell on the black market. Peace will only come when the corruption ends.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Something’s happened quite suddenly where to speak like that is now seen as a betrayal.
It’s what happens when war begins: we lose our head. Warmongering becomes cool and mainstream. Now, I have no doubt that there are cooler heads around Europe who are despairing. But they can’t speak out. I can see it in Germany, I can see it within the government of the Federal Republic: there are people who are besides themselves. They are pulling their hair out. Because if they speak out they will be immediately taken to task by the warmongers who are having a field day.
This is why it’s important that we band together to bring a modicum of rationality back to the debate and to focus on the only thing that matters at the moment. It’s not money. It’s not trade. It’s not natural gas. It is human lives in Ukraine. How can we stop people from dying? Because if they continue — the ones who put the theoretical right of Ukrainians to be members of Nato above the life of people in Ukraine, and above the opportunity of Ukraine to prosper as a Western democracy, which is inside the EU and outside of Nato — we’re going to be creating a quagmire that will ensure two things. Firstly, that thousands of people will die who could be saved, and secondly, that Ukraine is going to be a desert.
Do you observe that the people leading this warmongering, as you call it, would mainly describe themselves as liberals?
Yes. I can see that. But it’s not the first time. I remember when the United States were about to invade Iraq, even Left-wingers like Christopher Hitchens, a man that I admired all my life, became liberal imperialists. He was gung-ho about invading Iraq and spreading democracy. If you think of the early 1960s, it was JFK who initially showed a degree of enthusiasm for taking over Vietnam.
I do fear that it’s not just some liberal imperialists or liberal supporters of victory — of war until the final victory is achieved, as if it is possible to imagine invading Moscow. I feel that there’s something else there: a missing ingredient. Follow the money. The United States is a very complex economy. And it’s not homogeneous. Segments of the American economy are suffering as a result of the war, with the increasing price of oil. I believe Silicon Valley is not happy, because they’re being put in a very difficult situation. Even the banking sector, Wall Street, can’t really be enjoying what’s going on.
But if you are selling weapons, you are having a party. You have Olaf Scholtz, the German Chancellor, about to order 100 billion euros worth of American equipment, because the Germans are not making the stuff. If you are providing fracked oil and gas from New Mexico, from Minnesota, from Texas, you are looking at the new deals that are being struck between the European Union and the United States for LNG (liquefied natural gas), and you are rubbing your hands with glee. Because what was a dying industry in the United States now suddenly has been given a huge lease of life. This is not a conspiracy. If you have liberal imperialists, and you’ve got people that are going to make a lot of money out of this liberal imperialism, and you bring these together, you have a very powerful constituency in favour of maintaining the conflicts.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
A lot of people will listen to what you’ve just said and think that it is verging on conspiracy: evil Americans in suits sitting around board tables, trying to create wars in order to profit from them. 
There’s no conspiracy; nothing of what I said is conspiracy. It’s the truth that if you’re selling arms, you are making a lot of money. If you’re selling oil and gas that is fracked in the United States, you are making a lot of money. We know that.
It’s not causation though, is it? It’s one thing to observe that, but those people aren’t in charge of making the decisions.
Of course. Because why didn’t they do it ten years ago? They would have had an interest in doing this ten years ago. Nobody forced Putin to invade. It wasn’t Nato’s fault that he invaded, even if Nato created circumstances for him to be powerful, in my view. It was Putin’s criminal choice to invade Ukraine. And that gave rise to military resistance by the Ukrainians, which I applaud. And then on the coat-tails of these developments that have nothing to do with them, people come in with particular axes to grind, political ones, and financial agendas. So the whole thing acquires momentum. This is not a conspiracy theory. That is, I think, a solid rational analysis of what was going on.
How, then, should we treat the very popular and successful president of Ukraine? He has been incredibly effective at generating international attention. Should we support him? Should we be critical of him?
We should be critically supportive. Look, I followed Zelenskyy’s career. It was interesting that he was elected on a platform for making peace with Moscow, and for sidelining the oligarchic and ultra Right-wing elements within Ukraine. We have to note that. It’s also true that he failed in doing this to a very large extent: the oligarchs that he was going to wage war against effectively had him. His reign has not been easy. And the oligarchs managed to maintain their control over the country, some would say, forcing Zelenskyy to succumb.
The neo-Nazi Azov battalion in Mariupol and so on maintain their swastikas. I’m sure that Zelenskyy wanted to get rid of them, but he couldn’t. But none of this matters. Because when a country is invaded, I feel a natural duty to support the people who have been invaded and to support their leader — even if it’s somebody I would not have voted for, had I been one of them.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
But what about this overt campaign by Zelenskyy to encourage more direct Western military intervention?
He’s the leader of a country that is being invaded: it is perfectly natural for him to be calling upon the rest of the world to come to their assistance. I’m sure he would have loved it if Nato waltzed in, even though I’m sure he understands that it would bring us to the precipice of a nuclear catastrophe. It is his job to ask for us to step in.
But to his credit, he’s done something else as well. He’s embraced the neutrality solution. And he is participating in discussions with Russians, and negotiations. Let’s face it, the European Union is a figment of our imagination. We’re so fragmented, we are a non-player, really. It’s only the United States that can provide Zelenskyy with the backing he needs in his negotiations with Putin.
What people object to about that is that it has the whiff of people making decisions for smaller countries over their heads. What the people of Ukraine want is neither here nor there.
My own country would not exist if we didn’t have such an arrangement back in the late 1820s. We were under the Ottomans for 400 or 500 years. We had our own revolution, our own resistance against the Ottoman armies. In the end, how did Greece come about? It came about because the great powers — the English, the French, and the Russians — sat down with the Ottomans. And they said: “Greece becomes an independent state, it’s a kind of buffer zone between the Ottoman Empire and the West”. And we were given a chance to exist.
What is your message, then, to people who object to the invasion of Ukraine but also feel deeply uneasy about the West’s involvement? How should they react when they are called Putin supporters?
Be kind. I don’t think you should antagonise anybody these days, because there is so much antagonism already. Maintain your cool, support the Ukrainian resistance against Putin’s armies. Do not succumb to the silence of militarism and perpetual war. And always keep your eye on the trophy, which is immediate peace, withdrawal of Russian troops and Ukrainian troops from the Donbas — and a Donbas that we all help get back up on its feet.

Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
But what about this overt campaign by Zelenskyy to encourage more direct Western military intervention?
He’s the leader of a country that is being invaded: it is perfectly natural for him to be calling upon the rest of the world to come to their assistance. I’m sure he would have loved it if Nato waltzed in, even though I’m sure he understands that it would bring us to the precipice of a nuclear catastrophe. It is his job to ask for us to step in.
But to his credit, he’s done something else as well. He’s embraced the neutrality solution. And he is participating in discussions with Russians, and negotiations. Let’s face it, the European Union is a figment of our imagination. We’re so fragmented, we are a non-player, really. It’s only the United States that can provide Zelenskyy with the backing he needs in his negotiations with Putin.
What people object to about that is that it has the whiff of people making decisions for smaller countries over their heads. What the people of Ukraine want is neither here nor there.
My own country would not exist if we didn’t have such an arrangement back in the late 1820s. We were under the Ottomans for 400 or 500 years. We had our own revolution, our own resistance against the Ottoman armies. In the end, how did Greece come about? It came about because the great powers — the English, the French, and the Russians — sat down with the Ottomans. And they said: “Greece becomes an independent state, it’s a kind of buffer zone between the Ottoman Empire and the West”. And we were given a chance to exist.
What is your message, then, to people who object to the invasion of Ukraine but also feel deeply uneasy about the West’s involvement? How should they react when they are called Putin supporters?
Be kind. I don’t think you should antagonise anybody these days, because there is so much antagonism already. Maintain your cool, support the Ukrainian resistance against Putin’s armies. Do not succumb to the silence of militarism and perpetual war. And always keep your eye on the trophy, which is immediate peace, withdrawal of Russian troops and Ukrainian troops from the Donbas — and a Donbas that we all help get back up on its feet.
The Ukrainians are making the decisions and fighting the Russians to defend and recover their land annexed by the Russians.
America and NATO countries are aiding the Ukrainians to face the Russians by responding to calls by Ukrainians for aid and weapons.

Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
What appalls me about those who purport to support Ukraine and who are attacking the anti-war position, is that they seem to be seriously considering the possibility that Ukraine is going to win the war and overthrow Putin. Now that’s completely pie in the sky. Anybody who believes that is jeopardizing the lives of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians as we speak.

At best, you’re going to have a stalemate. Now a stalemate is terrible for the people of Ukraine. Because we know what Putin is going to do. He’s going to do what he did in Grozny. He’s going to raze to the ground areas that he needs to abandon.
The Ukrainian army has been very heroic, and I applaud them for having resisted.
But they cannot win the war.
Do we really want this painful, murderous stalemate go on and on and on? Do we really want to invest in regime change in Russia that is instigated by the United States? Whenever the United States has tried to regime change we’ve had complete catastrophe. Look at Afghanistan, look at Iraq, look at Libya. And this is a nuclear power. Do we want to play with this fire, with this nuclear fire?
We should have an immediate ceasefire. President Zelenskyy, to his credit, has now adopted the very clear proposal that ant-war advocates have been making from day one: that we should have an agreement between Joe Biden and Vladimir Putin — of course, with Zelenskyy, and the European Union participating — that makes a very simple trade, a deal. Russia withdraws from Ukraine, and Ukraine withdraws from the Donbas, in exchange for an end to the sanctions and a commitment, by the West, that Ukraine is going to be part of the West but not part of Nato.

The alternative is a very, very, very, very, cold and deadly winter for Ukraine.
If the Ukrainians drive out the Russians like Afghanistan did with the Soviet invasion. We saw how quickly the Soviet Union collapsed.
If Putin is forced out of office because of massive military losses and sanctions, we can see a weakened Russia further isolated as more countries join NATO.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Despite what the Ukrainian president and American generals say, there is no valid military basis on which to support the hope that Ukraine will win its war. Consider the situation that has unfolded in the Eastern part of the country.

At the outset of the Battle of Donbas in mid-April, Russia started with substantial advantages in manpower, tanks, personnel carriers, artillery, rockets, and combat aviation. Russia has exploited its advantages over the past two-plus months grinding down the Ukrainian defenders. Many in the west routinely describe Russia’s progress as “tiny advances” and “plodding,” but when viewed over time, the more accurate terms should be: methodical and relentless.

Since April, Russia has captured major towns and cities such as Izyum, Rubizhne, Kreminna, Poposna, Zolotoe, Severodonetsk, and as of Sunday, Lysychansk.

In some ways, however, the biggest setback for Ukraine hasn’t been the loss of territory so much as the loss of its best-trained and experienced troops. Russia has been imposing up to 1,000 total Ukrainian casualties per day in the Donbas. Reports suggest that Ukrainian troops evacuated Severodonetsk and Lysychansk by rubber boats. Because the Ukrainian General Staff waited too late to order the evacuation, their forces left without their equipment, abandoning large quantities of tanks, personnel carriers, and most critically, artillery pieces.

The sum total of all heavy weapons delivered or promised by the West to Ukraine has been only a small percentage of what’s actually needed but will not likely be enough to offset the substantial losses Ukraine suffered in its recent defeats, much less enable a counteroffensive in mere weeks from now. A senior Ukrainian military official admitted that even before the twin defeats in Severodonetsk and Lysychansk, the UAF had lost approximately 50% of its pre-war stocks of heavy weapons. Even the arrival of a few modern Western rocket launchers will not come close to replacing these losses.

Russia, meanwhile, also suffers losses in the Donbas fight, but likely at a lower rate for two key reasons. First, they learned from their initial debacles of the invasion in February in which they made large scale advances with armor that were not adequately supported. Now, Russia prioritizes heavy bombardment, rockets, and air strikes and only brings in ground forces to fight Ukrainian troops when Russian commanders believe their enemy has been sufficiently ground down.

Second, Russia enjoys at least a 10 to 1 advantage in artillery and rocket ammunition – and a dramatic advantage in air sorties over the Donbas – and the Kremlin’s troops are able to hit the Ukrainian troops with a far greater density of bombs. The New York Times reported on Tuesday that the “artillery war in Ukraine’s east is seemingly never-ending,” noting that “the shelling is constant — wounding and killing and driving those soldiers cowering in trenches and foxholes slowly insane.”

These Russian advantages have proven decisive in allowing Putin’s forces to capture large swaths of Ukrainian territory in the Donbas. It is important to acknowledge, however, that these advantages still exist. The Slavyansk/Kramatorsk grouping of Ukrainian troops appears to be next in the Russian firing line, as both are already being relentlessly shelled. Military fundamentals imply strongly that Russian troops will continue their methodical drive west.

The idea that by next month the UAF could both halt Moscow’s offensive and then launch its own counteroffensive has no realistic basis. It is therefore time to consider the unthinkable: Ukraine may not be able to stop the Russian offensive and could lose the war.

Overwhelming numbers of Ukrainian citizens tell pollsters they do not want Zelensky to trade territory for peace. That sentiment is certainly understandable; any people who were the victims of unprovoked invasion would detest the idea of surrendering any of their land to the aggressor. But the leadership in Kyiv and its Western backers must now face the sobering realities that diplomacy and a negotiated settlement may be the only way to prevent even more Ukrainian territory from falling to Russia.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
What appalls me about those who purport to support Ukraine and who are attacking the anti-war position, is that they seem to be seriously considering the possibility that Ukraine is going to win the war and overthrow Putin. Now that’s completely pie in the sky. Anybody who believes that is jeopardizing the lives of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians as we speak.

At best, you’re going to have a stalemate. Now a stalemate is terrible for the people of Ukraine. Because we know what Putin is going to do. He’s going to do what he did in Grozny. He’s going to raze to the ground areas that he needs to abandon.
The Ukrainian army has been very heroic, and I applaud them for having resisted.
Do we really want this painful, murderous stalemate go on and on and on? Do we really want to invest in regime change in Russia that is instigated by the United States? Whenever the United States has tried to regime change we’ve had complete catastrophe. Look at Afghanistan, look at Iraq, look at Libya. And this is a nuclear power. Do we want to play with this fire, with this nuclear fire?
We should have an immediate ceasefire. President Zelenskyy, to his credit, has now adopted the very clear proposal that ant-war advocates have been making from day one: that we should have an agreement between Joe Biden and Vladimir Putin — of course, with Zelenskyy, and the European Union participating — that makes a very simple trade, a deal. Russia withdraws from Ukraine, and Ukraine withdraws from the Donbas, in exchange for an end to the sanctions and a commitment, by the West, that Ukraine is going to be part of the West but not part of Nato.

The alternative is a very, very, very, very, cold and deadly winter for Ukraine.

Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot

Ukraine is going to win the war. Putin is already showing desperation by trying to draft 300,000 volunteers into the army. At the same time Russians are fleeing Russia to avoid the draft and face the Ukrainians military.
This is all happening in Russia under Putins failed leadership and the losses in the war with Ukraine.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
Ukraine is going to lose the war. Putin is already showing determination by trying to draft 300,000 volunteers into the army. At the same time Russians are fleeing Russia to avoid the draft and face the Ukrainians military, many others are ready to fight.
This is all happening in Russia under Putin's leadership and during Russia's gains in the Donbas in East Ukraine.
Putin is shown desperation by calling up 300,000 reservists. He miscalculated the determination of the Ukrainian people. 
Russians are leaving the country to avoid the draft or face the Ukrainian army.
Putin has lost all credibility. His dreams of restoring the Soviet Union was dashed to the ground. His own survival is threatened.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
Putin’s threats are not working or deterring the Ukrainians. 
Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelenskyy has more credibility than Putin.
Why are you rooting for Ukraine to fail?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila