Russia and Ukraine

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 483
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Yassine
It wasn't real sure why that response was aimed at me because I haven't really said anything about a US response or how it would play out. My point was that Russia felt they had justification and invading the Ukraine because the areas of the Ukraine are going into are culturally and language wise aligned with Russia more than the Ukraine. The video from the Kenyon rep basically explains that the borders have been established pretty much since world war II and almost all countries and that those borders need to be respected because that's what they are now. And that in Africa many areas that were aligned culturally and language wise were split up without any concern and obviously that's what happened with the Ukraine. I have no idea why the huge tirade went on aimed at me I don't know why you would call it fake news that's that man's opinion and I feel his opinions legit. As far as the US getting involved the thing is as a member of the UN and NATO if we're asked we probably will. Whether or not anybody should and this should just be between Russia and the Ukraine that's up to the world to decide. I was simply noting that borders are borders and that attitude of colonization where I'm a superpower I just get to go in and take you over it doesn't really fly in this modern age borders are established if they want to work out some sort of like actual legal agreement between themselves like East and West Germany did decide to tear down the wall that would be different. The rest of it I really don't know where that came from from you so that's your opinion, that's my opinion and that's the guy from Kenya's opinion there we go.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
Well, Putin has finally done it. He is invading a sovereign nation for no reason other than greed and conquest. He is a villain of history. Anyone who says "But America has done bad things too" is completely missing the point.  Invading foreign countries without provocation is wrong, no matter who does it. There are no moral equivalencies or equivocations. What Putin has done is evil. No ifs, buts, or whataboutisms. Unprovoked* invasions are evil. Period.

*And no, NATO expanding is NOT a provocation. Defensive alliances are only a threat to an aggressor.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I'm going add on to the rancid take

This is a horrible, stupid, idiotic, misjudged, and a rancid take
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

I think Russia will nuke Kjiv when the Parliament is meeting there.

Putin will use the USA nuking Japan as justification.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Vader
Agreed. There is no justification for supporting Russia in this situation.
FLRW
FLRW

Dr. Franklin called Putin 'genius' and 'savvy' for Ukraine invasion.  Oh,sorry, that was Trump.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@SirAnonymous
America insisted that the South 'stay in the Union,
Though the Confederacy 'did shoot first, so to speak.

It 'sounds, though I am unsure, that Crimea, wants to be part of Russia,
Though that was in 2014.

Justification. . .
I'm not sure I can call it conventionally good,
But I 'can understand conquest for self survival,
Mastery of one's surroundings, that one's tribe does not falter.
It's a reasonable justification, though it may not match up to one's 'morals.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@SirAnonymous
Welcome back!
Castin
Castin
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I probably have more cultural and ideological ties to the average Russian than the average American. Which is why I am supporting Russia.
It's not easy to trigger my complete contempt. Congratulations.
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@FLRW
It's funny how he still lives rent-free in your head. From what I can tell, I don't think he's endorsing the invasion.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Tf? It is strongly against American interests for Russia to expand their sphere of influence given their natural hostility to the US. Why would you ever take their side, even if you believe Russia has an argument for the territory?
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I probably have more cultural and ideological ties to the average Russian than the average American. Which is why I am supporting Russia.
And just when I was about to get back on this site ...

This comment goes against democracy (which the Ukraine is), against an international treaty that Russia swore to uphold, against decency and against what the Ukrainians WANT FOR THEMSELVES!

Over 90% of their country voted to become a democracy, to become independent. That is 44 million people who DO NOT WANT a dictator telling them what to do.

I am not a regular here, so I can say this.
ANYONE WHO SIDES WITH OUR LONG-TIME ENEMY, PUTIN, OVER A DEMOCRATIC NATION IS A TRAITOR.

If I get banned for this, I get banned. Democracy is WORTH IT!
Castin
Castin
-->
@lady3keys
And just when I was about to get back on this site ...

This comment goes against democracy (which the Ukraine is), against an international treaty that Russia swore to uphold, against decency and against what the Ukrainians WANT FOR THEMSELVES!

Over 90% of their country voted to become a democracy, to become independent. That is 44 million people who DO NOT WANT a dictator telling them what to do.

I am not a regular here, so I can say this.
ANYONE WHO SIDES WITH OUR LONG-TIME ENEMY, PUTIN, OVER A DEMOCRATIC NATION IS A TRAITOR.

If I get banned for this, I get banned. Democracy is WORTH IT!
✊ Respect.

If you do not respect a democratic nation's right to self-determination, you do not respect freedom.
Vader
Vader
-->
@Dr.Franklin
You have just united the site for how terrible this opinion of yours is
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Dr.Franklin
The US bullies countries on the regular. 
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Mharman
Republican congresswoman Liz Cheney has accused Donald Trump of aiding America’s “enemies” after he called Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine both “genius” and “savvy”.
Ms Cheney tweeted on Tuesday night: “Trump’s adulation of Putin today – including calling him a ‘genius’ – aids our enemies.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@FLRW
That's cool and all, but the man literally gave Ukraine advanced military technology, and the point of the remark he made was to illustrate the simple idea that yes, if Russia wants to commit an evil against Ukraine, now would be the time to do it with weak-ass Biden in charge.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@FLRW
Even if one disagrees with the morality of another's actions,
One can acknowledge intelligence, understanding,
I'd think.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@Mharman
From what I can tell, I don't think he's endorsing the invasion.
He’s doing what he always does, have it every way all at the same time.

On the one hand he’s gushing over how smart and savvy he thinks it is in clear admiration of the cleverness of Putin’s gaslighting. When someone executes on your specialty better than you, admiration is one typical response.

On the other hand he’s trying to play it tough as if Putin was so afraid of Trump that he never would have tried this if he were still in office, even though he’s gushing over it now as he has over Putin for the prior four years.

Trump doesn’t have political positions, he has emotional calculations of what’s best for him which he defines as whatever makes him look strong and like a winner. Why people think there is more to this man is beyond me.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Mharman

Why does Trump have a wife born in a Communist country?  To impress Putin?
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Double_R
On the other hand he’s trying to play it tough as if Putin was so afraid of Trump that he never would have tried this if he were still in office
Which is the main point of the quote. And honestly, I think Trump in office over Biden would've resulted in a tougher America with a better chance of peace (albeit uneasy) between the two countries.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@FLRW
Imagine having TDS when he's not even the current president. She met him in 1998, long after Slovenia was no longer communist. Are we to judge all those who marry immigrants based on what country said immigrant came from?

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Mharman

So you too, think that a US First Lady should have been born in a Communist Country?
FLRW
FLRW

Remember that there is a conspiracy theory floating around that first lady Melania Trump is really a Russian spy. The President has to be born in the USA, why not the First Lady?
Vader
Vader
Biden just laughing during his speech and Q and A. This is what we voted for lol
FLRW
FLRW

Putin must have learned a lot from Hitler invading Poland in 1939.
At that time the President of the United States Franklin Delano Roosevelt sends an appeal to all European powers involved in the crisis asking them to abstain from bombing civilian and unfortified cities. Germany's FührerAdolf Hitler, answers immediately assuring the American chargé d'affaires Alexander C. Kirk that the Luftwaffe will only attack military targets. The British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain also promises to abide to the request, as does Poland's ambassador to the US Jerzy Antoni Potocki.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@FLRW
I personally do not care where she was born. You’re essentially arguing her merits are decided by her country of origin.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Mharman
@FLRW
One of you is being needlessly xenophobic about first ladies and the other is comfortably blind to the fact that Trumpism is at the root of opinions like Dr.Franklin's.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Castin
Define “Trumpism”
lady3keys
lady3keys
-->
@Mharman
And honestly, I think Trump in office over Biden would've resulted in a tougher America with a better chance of peace (albeit uneasy) between the two countries.
Seriously?
Putin and Trump were not equals. 
Trump was Putin's stooge.

Until Trump's last days in office, he lobbied for getting Russia back into the G7. Remember Russia was kicked out for invading the Ukraine in 2014 and annexing Crimea.

The Ukraine had the 3rd largest nuclear arsenal in the world after the US and Russia. We ALL brokered a deal and the Ukraine gave up its nuclear weapons with our SIGNED promise NOT to invade. 
Russia has proven their promises and treaties mean nothing!

Trump wanted to let Russia back in the G7, despite breaking these treaties. 

Yesterday Trump called Putin a genius. You actually think Trump would broker peace? 

Trump worships autocrats, especially Putin. He would have supported Putin's desire to squash democracy and bully the Ukraine. 

TRUMP WISHES HE WAS AN AMERICA  AUTOCRAT, SUPPORTED BY HIS HAND-PICKED GOP OLIGARCHY!