it is irrational to argue that there's no evidence for the afterlife

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 256
n8nrgim
Debates: 0
n8nrgim

i organized my thoughts from another thread, and thought i'd share it here. i'll probably take the debate to other debate websites too, to get a feel for a wide range of opinions. i have trouble logging in so i wont be able to respond as consistently as i'd like. 

----------

dr. jeffrey long wrong a book, 'evidence of of the afterlife'.  a smart and capable doctor writing a book like that should be sufficient to establish evidence, but i know some peeps are too stubborn to leave it at that. 

let's look at some lines of evidence: 

philosophically, it's just plain stupid to argue that it's common for people to hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories when they die. why would this even happen? drugs, dreams, and other hallucations dont cause people to hallucinate elaborate afterlife stories in any other aspect of life... why should we assume there's something special about dying that causes this? 

out of body experiences are commonly verified as accurate, to the point of almost always being accurate. doctors and professionals are often some people verifying things that occurred when someone was dead, when what the dead person knew was impossible to know. if ya'll want a start in researching out of body experiences, 'evidence for the afterlife' by doctor jeffrey long does a short literature review of some highlights. there's lots of studies that look at the accuracy of those experiences and they're always shown to be accurate. there's whole scientific journals out there dedicated to this stuff, the evidence is basically too overwhelming to just ignore. even the AWARE study where they tried to measure out of body phenomenon, had two examples where someone who was dead knew what happened out of their body. and there was some measurement of auditory ability when they were dead. now, yes this isn't the level of evidence that leaves no room for doubt, and this isn't exactly being able to be measured in a lab on demand.... but this is all evidence that is being measured and can be repeated. it's basic science.  

dead family members. when people experience beings on the other side, the beings met are almost always dead and almost always family members. if this was just a random hallucination, there should be many more examples of living people and people other than family members. this consistency is a strong point. 

there are plenty of examples of blind people seeing when they die, often for the first time ever. the examples who people who are coming to grips with a new sense, it takes time to process and that's exactly what we see. 
some other lines of evidence: 
-another good piece of evidence is that when experiencers are surveyed, they say their 'life reviews' are always accurate, 100% of the time. if this was just a brain going hay wire, we'd expect lots of false memories.
-i think this also goes along with the idea that if this was a brain going hay wire, people would experience lots of random images, like a hallucination or dream. instead, they see lucid clear after life experiences that they have no doubt about and that are more real to them than their earthly lives. 
-also, people often see images in their life review, that they've long forgotten. it's not as likely just a brain going hay wire if it's showing the whole life even the forgotten stuff. 
-it's also good evidence that the same sorts of NDEs happen to people who have never heard of these experiences, and to children who are too young to know about it either. 
-it's also good evidence, that across all cultures, the themes in the experiences happen the same. that is, tunnels, light being, life  reviews and such... all these things happen at the same rate regardless of country or culture. i realize humans are similar, so the argument that we just have similar experiences is possible. but if this just a brain going hay wire, it wouldn't be so consistent and would be a lot more like random images or random experiences. 

more on consistency. 
-almost every person who has these experiences after the exerperience then believes in the afterlife. if these were just hallucaionations, you'd expect this not to so consistent. 
-it's also worth noting, that a majority of atheists even come back believing in God... it's almost never the case that theists end up becoming atheists. the atheists who dont convert, just had no special insight on the matter, the ones who gain knowledge of something end up becoming believers. (this is also a line of evidence for the existence of God)
-it's very rare to find a non christian religion NDEs by the way. the experiences are so rare, that i challenge anyone to find just a few of them. the only ones i've seen are too open to interpretation to draw too many conclusions from. 

the skeptic arguments against NDEs being authentic are at best hunches, it lacks specificity in science. there's no known afterlife gene or something in our brain that we know of that would cause this. yes, we are all similar so maybe our survial gene is facilitating all this. but like i said, it's all just a big hunch. we have lots of science and scant evidence to support skeptics. there's simply not enough evidence to be a skeptic about whether there is even evidence to begin with.  this is all evidence, so skeptics have a repubuttable presumption against them and they are bad and providing actual evidence to support their claims. 

philosophically, if it's common for people to experience elaborate afterlife stories when they die, that's prime facie evidence that an afterlife might exist. even if i were to admit that an afterlife isn't most probable... it's objectively possible based on that evidence and all the other lines i've provided. that's why it's objectively irrational to say there's not even evidence for an afterlife. 

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgim

Your afterlife will be the same as your beforelife. Without a brain, you do not exist.
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@FLRW
let me know when you're ready to actually debate something
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgim
it is irrational to argue that there's no evidence for the afterlife

Why is it?
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Stephen
if out of body experiences are true, that's evidence the afterlife is true. if what i said about out of body experiences is true in my above post, that's evidence that out of body evidences, and therefore the afterlife. 

in another debate i just had on this topic someone argued my points are too subjective. i guess i can't deny there are alternative ways to interpret what i posted. (other than the out of body info) so at the very least, it lacks common sense to argue there's no evidence for the afterlife.  maybe my own subjective views are not strong enough for me to use an objective standard like 'irrational' here. that's plausible, but it's still extremely stupid not to think there's evidence of the afterlife after reading all that stuff i posted. i think it would be fair though to call it all circumstantial evidence at the very least, objectively.   
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
i was kinda rambling in the last post, but i think it's objectively circumstantial evidence what i posted. i think a reasonable person could hold an irrational view and say it's too subjective to call it evidence. evidence is evidence though, however you want to look at it. this is all splitting hairs too much for something so obvious as a matter of common sense. 
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgim
The latest studies position OBEs squarely in the court of the temporoparietal junction of the brain (TPJ). So, what do we know about this region of the brain?
The TPJ is an area that collates a range of information. It is a hub of activity, with inputs from the thalamus (which relays sensory information) and the limbic system (which is important in emotion and memory). It also takes data from the visual, auditory, and somatosensory (bodily sensations) systems.
The TPJ integrates information from the external environment as well as from within the body. It is thought to play a part in the distinction between self and other, which makes the TPJ a prime contender for the seat of OBEs.
Why OBEs should happen to people who are otherwise healthy is still a mystery. But perhaps the illusion is, physiologically, no more significant than many other tricks of the mind that we take in our stride, such as déjà vu. The difference with OBEs is that they attack our sense of self, something that we hold dear yet take for granted.
For a moment, we feel ethereal – we feel as though we are not one, sensing our flimsy transient nature. Of course, our personalities, emotions, memories, and desires are all little more than peaks and troughs in energy levels and surges of chemicals. We know this, but our brains do not normally allow us to feel it.
We have all seen ourselves from outside, in mediums such as photos and mirrors. We have all seen rooms from above, and weaved fairytales in our minds. Therefore, it is not such a push to imagine that our brains could manufacture an OBE and present it to us as a fleeting reality.
Our brain does a mighty job of hiding the truth from us. We feel as though we are a solid, singular entity, with our mind and body combined and secure in their rightful places, a monolith in the cosmos. OBEs unravel this sense of self, proving that we are little more than a skillful neurological illusion after all.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgim
if out of body experiences are true,

They are true. I have experienced them myself. It is known as Sleep Paralysis. It happens just has one is falling to sleep. By all accounts it is a natural  occurrence and a safety mechanism to stop us physically acting out our dreams. Only in some people the paralysis kicks in before one is fully a sleep . 

that's evidence the afterlife is true.

[A] No. It isn't evidence of life after death simply because I  hadn't died but woke up in my bed after the frightening experience had passed. I have suffered this condition from my early teens and it is/can be extremely frightening. It wanes as one gets older and I haven't had an episode for over 30+ years but it is an experience one doesn't forget. 
The same is experienced by those on the operating table that are not fully anesthetised. Or have been in an accident and are losing consciences. One can be paralyzed and see yourself out of your body. 

if what i said about out of body experiences is true in my above post, that's evidence that out of body evidences, and therefore the afterlife. 

No.  See [A] above.

From the Sleep Foundation;

"Sleep paralysis is a temporary inability to move that occurs right after falling asleep or waking up. Individuals remain aware during episodes, which frequently involve troubling hallucinations and a sensation of suffocation.
These episodes of sleep paralysis involve elements of both sleep and wakefulness, which is part of why they can give rise to distressing symptoms".

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgim
Sooooooo.

If out of body experiences are true.

If out of body experiences are not true.

If anything really.

Though:

If people had out of body experiences when they were dead, how would you know?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Stephen

I had an OBE when I was in college and had taken some psilocybin.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Otter body , inner body. Experiences we dont do round here

What happens when ya die is not a question FULL STOP  
Apart from the visual  (  body decay )  
Soooooooooo.
What ever you think happens when you die is correct.  

Good game. 
Good game. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Imagine haveing the ability  freshly think about what happens when ya die.  

Theists painted jesus REAL REAL THICK LIKE. 
Brush in paint and no wipes what so ever.  
COAT AFTER COAT 

SO YEAH .
Thanks for that guys.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
To have it a guess  
It woukd be in between 
Going to heaven for fun times. 

Going to hell to for roasting.  

These two things theists think are like the very end of the scales. 
Fun o'clock party time. 
Orrrrrrrrrr
Burning from the inside out.  
You get EVERYTHING  OR   NOTHING.

not just . 
The same thing happens to everyone no matter what. 
Because it sure does appear that way. 

But dare not mention the same thing might happen to everyone no matter what stance on god. 
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Don't  even say those things.  
Thinking nonsense like this jeopardizes your  " afterlife accommodation " 
It must suck not being able to have your very own opinions on stuff. 

Give this life you are living to god and your afterlife will be awsome 
Orrr
Live this life according to you and afterlife will be Shlt. 

What package did you go with? 

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
u guys are missing the point. it might be possible to have an artificial out of body experience, but the thing that is being measured in all those science journals, is people accurately describing what happened out of their body when they are dead, on a consistent basis. 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
"In a little over 40 percent of my surveys, NDE"rs observed things that were geographically far from their physical body, that were way outside of any possible physical central awareness. Typically, someone who has an NDE with an out-of-body experience comes back and reports what they saw and heard while floating around, it"s about 98 percent accurate in every way. For example, in one account someone who coded in the operating room had an out-of-body experience where their consciousness traveled to the hospital cafeteria where they saw and heard their family and others talking, completely unaware that they had coded. They were absolutely correct in what they saw."
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@n8nrgim
u guys are missing the point. it might be possible to have an artificial out of body experience,

And you are grasping at straws.

"In a little over 40 percent of my surveys, NDE"rs observed things that were geographically far from their physical body, 

That will be  - N - for near but not dead.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgim

The people were not dead.  What happens when a patient codes? Technically, there's no formal definition for a code, but doctors often use the term as slang for a cardiopulmonary arrest happening to a patient in a hospital or clinic, requiring a team of providers (sometimes called a code team) to rush to the specific location and begin immediate resuscitative efforts. What percentage of code blues survive? Overall survival was 26%. Survival in patients with cardiac arrests was 11.13%. Factors such as age, presenting rhythm, and duration of CPR were found to have a significant effect on survival. Problems encountered were personnel and equipment related.

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
you guys are playing word games. the folks who have NDEs actually died. by standards of modern medicine. their brain and heart stopped.  who's the one grasping at straws when you reject science to pursue an agenda? 
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
you guys also are ignoring that if they are accurately describing things when they are out of it, consistently... that'd be impossible unless they actually out of their bodies. 

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
n8nrgim
people are literally dying and telling us that they visited the afterlife. this happens over and over. and yet you guys are literally saying there's absolutely no evidence for the afterlife when it's plainly right in front of you. it's like arguing with elementary kids. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
When you die there is a lull of sorts.  10 mins  to sometimes 4 hrs.      This is due to the numbers of pods they can have running at once. 
Pods being the capsule that take everyone to the promised land.  
This is rough on anyone involved. It is confusing and scary. The unknowing.  
Ya don't want your Nana going through this. 

Soooooooo.
For a small fee .
We have a team of fully qualified dead dudes standing by ready to help make that most terrifying time much more comforting.
Our team get to you within one minute after death.   That is 100%  Guaranteed or ya money back. 

These guys know exactly what to say and do to make you at ease and come to terms to your knew life.
I mean death.  

Sooooooo
If you dont want your loved ones being scared out of there minds .
Get someone there for em when they unfortunately pass. 

We got a standard $275.00 package  to the much more personalized  $1155.00 pack. 
Thats cheaper then a real dear cup of coffee a day for not even one year. 

Send cash. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgim

So I reiterate the question.

How is it possible to know what dead people are experiencing on a consistent basis?

I think what you are referring to is what is known has NDE......Whereby all information was actually derived from not dead people.

People who may have experienced an intense electro-chemical response to a total system failure. Which manifested as vivid, internal, self generated imagery.

Subsequently resuscitated, so not dead, and with a more or less accurate memory of the experience.

And given the human lack of ability to remember accurately the most recent of not near death events.....I would therefore suggest  that the recollection of near death imagery is more likely to be less accurate.

Call me sceptical and irrational if you like.

And as for an afterlife.....For sure.....If that's what rationally floats your boat.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Is an "Otter body" experience, that which a semi-aquatic mammal experiences?

Just needed to be clear on this.

Is it something like a Platypus body experience?

Though the Platypus body experience is somewhat freaky.

Half Duck, half kangaroo as it were.

But more Duck in terms of forwards propulsion.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I don't gnome. 
Thats pronounced  ( ga-nome ) 

You otter know. 

You bring up a good point. 
I mispelted it. 

You are correct on a otter body experience. That  being what one experience es  when they are a platypus 
A otter body experience. 

Exactly Like a Giraffe body experience but otter 
Ha 
But otter. 

BUT OTTER.,
Wow that's awsome to say. 
But otter.

Say it real fast

But otter. 

Cool

Alright 
Sorry about confusing you zed. 
Are we clear.

Not otter body but outer body. 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I haven't been told that i am going to burn in hell when i die for a long time. 

I sure wouldn't mind it. 

One week ago something was said and  it reminded me about  how ALLLLL fhe atheists,  when they die, go to hell. 
And thats like getting cooked from the inside out. 
For a eternity. 
Thats like a long long long time.   

It slipped my mind for easy over a year.   

Anyway Since then ive joined a dozen or so religious  groups sooooo.   I am all good now. 
I'm good to go. 

Im hell Immunized.  
Hell proof 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
I believe atheists often secretly ponder about .
WHEN DO WE GET TOLD WHO THE WINNERS ARE. 

HOW LONG AFTER DEATH IS IT BEFORD WE HEAR THAT  ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE OFFICIAL  RELIGIOUS GROUP WINNERS. 

NO ATHEIST WANTS DO BE SENT TO HELL WITHOUT KNOWING THE GOD THAT SENT THEM THERE.

REST ASSURED ME ATHEIST FREINDS. 
FOR THE RELIGIOUS GROUP WINNERS ARE announced withing the first  three minutes after death. 

Dont sweat it. 

Example. You just died and on a crackly PA system you hear a msg announced
A message of congratulations 
To The (  seventh day adventist. )  they are correct. 
And so on. 

So when all the atheists find themselves somewhat endlessly falling downward and backwards , JUST KNOW. 
Just know that them fuking stupid seventh days were infact  correct .
And you are like . " well I'll be " 

Then ya cooked.  
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Try telling the atheists nicely that they are going to burn in hell. 

For just a few dollars a week 
After life accommodation is accessible to ALLLLLLLLLL. 

It just so happens that .   JESUS FUCKlNG LOVES CASH. 

Actually i myself can remove " common " sins for  $37 .80  per sin . 

Send cash

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
JESUS FUCKlNG LOVES CASH. 

He certainly does , Deb. 

"Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”Matthew 19:21

I wonder, what good would be giving to" the poor " serve, if the end of the world is coming to an end? What will "the poor "do with all of that hard earned cash and hard earned life times belongings of others that has just landed on their laps?

The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.1 Peter 4:7

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
In this current climate i bet he is a bit short. 

Picture a church trying to keep a pastor for the last two years.

I do love picturing a " church owner  "  interviewing pastors/ speakers for " There church "  
They Know what they are looking for. 

I bet a lot of churches are now congratulations  i mean  (  con gra grating )  word .
Con gragrating. 
back with a different head. 

Picture alllll the job titles,   job availabilities running a church. 
Oh the Ruthless jobs in operating a successful church.