The most toxic gas in the atmosphere.

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 32
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Is Oxygen. Most life is plant based. Oxygen is expelled as waste.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
I am not sure that you know what toxic means.

Also are we talking O(small 2) or the elememt oxygen in compounds like CO(small 2) and hydrocarbons as a gas?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
So much wrong with this statement.

Probably why you made it.

Most life is plant based.
Most life is life based or carbon based.

And living processes are reliant upon O as a molecular component.

H2O or CO2 for example.

Any expert chemists out there?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Try not breathing. You will die.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
Oxygen over 99% saturation in humans also causes the rapid formation of Free Radicals and certain death. Oxygen is very reactive and can break down healthy cells if not managed in safe levels.

That's why you can never give a healthy person pure oxygen for prolonged periods as it will destroy them on a cellular level. A nasty way to die from Oxygen poisoning.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Intelligence_06
Try breathing in 100% Oxygen.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
The nature of oxygen is such that it readily combines with other elements to form essential life sustaining chemical molecules. All within the tenuous stability of Earth's atmosphere.

Try breathing in outer space.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
Oxidization is mostly a destructive process. In most cases, it's an explosive hazard around many materials in high concentrations. Very dangerous. Very toxic

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
I also hope you have read up on anti-oxidants and why old people especially need to consume them.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Greyparrot
Try living in a filled concrete house. You will suffocate. Who would be stupid enough to do that? No one. No one would try to breathe in 100% oxygen. However, at 21% oxygen most of us are still alive.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Intelligence_06
 No one would try to breathe in 100% oxygen.

You obviously haven't met young kids looking to get high.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@Greyparrot
This Orange-Grey-Parrot doing his Trumpanzee act on his oxygenated high bar.  Will he fall off his high bar?

Or will he continue to mislead, and misdirect  humanity away from  greenhouse gases concern?

Oxygen, like most things, is a double-edged sword.  Too much is deadly and too little is deadly.

Remmeber the lady in CA who was egged on by the radio Dj's that you cant drink too much water? She did and died during or after having this phone call with the radio station DJ's.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ebuc
Do you consume antioxidents? Why or why not?
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Every person who has died, had breathed oxygen 🤷‍♂️
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
I just wanted to see the confirmation bias on Oxygen as a gas 🤷‍♂️
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Greyparrot

Like humans, fish need oxygen to survive—but water contains far less oxygen than an equal volume of air. The oxygen that fish breathe is not the oxygen that is chemically combined with hydrogen to form water molecules, but oxygen from the air that is dissolved in the water.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Greyparrot
Do you consume antioxidents? Why or why not?
Yes. 1} because anti-oxidants are some foods I eat, and 2} because at some time there was common belief that taking antioxidant pills were healthy.

Are you addressing anything I last stated to you?

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
2} because at some time there was common belief that taking antioxidant pills were healthy.

But now you don't willingly consume anti-oxidants? Do you think they make you sick?

Are you concerned about free radicals destroying your body on a cellular level?
ComputerNerd
Debates: 15
ComputerNerd
-->
@Greyparrot
Toxic:  
1. poisonous 
2. very harmful or unpleasant in a pervasive or insidious way.

Note the proposition was The MOST toxic gas in the atmosphere.

Most:
1. greatest in amount, quantity, or degree.

Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Greyparrot
I pity those people that do not completely understand the properties of Oxygen. Still, Oxygen is beneficial at low concentrations and only becomes harmful in high concentrations. Carbon monoxide is already harmful at any concentration.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Intelligence_06
Do you support dietary anti-oxidants?
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Greyparrot
Yes if it makes me healthy.

However, the oxygen that is being reduced is not oxygen gas, it is the oxygen element in some other compound that makes humans unhealthy. Oxygen is not a toxic gas. It is just an element that is present within some toxic molecules.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Greyparrot
And by reducing, I mean to lessen the amount of, and not the opposite of oxidation.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Nonetheless, it all makes for an alternative discussion topic.

So well done.
ComputerNerd
Debates: 15
ComputerNerd
-->
@Greyparrot
I see you have replied to Intelligence's questions but not mines, even though I'm SURE you must have read it.

Can't think of a comeback?
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Greyparrot
Your argument amounts to "too much oxygen will kill you," which is a point that applies to basically everything.

Up to 60% of our bodies are composed of water, but if you drink too much water, it can be actively harmful or even deadly. A good deal of our atmosphere is water vapor.

Nitrogen is the gas that is present at the highest concentrations in our atmosphere. We breathe it in all the time at higher concentrations than oxygen. However, unlike with CO2, if you drink pure nitrogen, your body doesn't recognize that what it's taking isn't breathable oxygen. You'll die apparently breathing normally.

In fact, most of the gasses in the atmosphere would be toxic at high concentrations. Argon, which is present at 0.9%, would asphyxiate you in the same way that nitrogen would because they are both inert gases. So would methane. Inhaling either CO2 or nitrous oxide at high concentrations, since neither are inert, can also stop a person from breathing but does so much more violently, causing a person's throat to spasm.

All of these, at high concentrations, will kill you much faster than pure oxygen. So if oxygen is the most toxic gas in the atmosphere, I have to ask: by what metric? The evidence you've provided of oxidation and free radicals are much slower means of harm and our bodies have active mechanisms to address them. If we were anaerobic organisms, I might agree with you, but we're obligate aerobes. We're built for an oxygen-rich atmosphere.

But I know all of this is pointless because I know that this post was just made to rile people up over an absurd claim that you have no intention of seriously defending.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@whiteflame
From a plant's point of view though...

The entire point of this thread was to expose confirmation bias when looking at Oxygen, and you didn't fail to disappoint.
FLRW
FLRW

FYI, a red blood cell takes oxygen from the lungs to the tissues in your body. Your cells use oxygen to produce energy.
FLRW
FLRW

But surprisingly, amongst all the toxic, corrosive, and otherwise nasty gases that exist in industry, the most deadly of them all is the one we breathe in the most - nitrogen. Nitrogen (N2) is an inert and invisible gas that makes up about 78% (by volume) of the air we breathe.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Greyparrot
From a plant’s point of view, there are lots of toxic gases. I did my PhD in plant pathology, dude. Oxygen is still low on the totem pole and they have an awful lot of ways to address its toxicity. You’re still wrong.