Total: 111
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
I honestly wasn't going to post this first thing but as is often the case some people just need to have their say, that's not going to change, and better here than derailing other topics.

I maintain that:
1. Bestiality is not inherently immoral
2. Anything which is not inherently immoral should not be illegal.

I'll respond to relevant arguments against those assertions. I have no burden of proof for the first statement, I do for the second and will provide an argument upon request.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@badger
I have zero interest in being on the same site as some dude arguing for fucking his dog. That's 4chan shit. It's ugly humanity and not needed in my day. 
As we all know society progresses primarily by not challenging preconceptions and firmly entrenching ourselves in emotional prejudice. Carry on sir! May I suggest not bringing topics you are uninterested in up if you don't want to hear about them?

I don't know how that's a here we go again, dude. I don't know what moral good you think you're championing here or what argument of his swayed you, but the dude fucks his dog. You dismiss these weirdos out of hand always or you're also a weirdo. Being a debater doesn't save you. 
Guilt by association, another sound and ancient principle. Never let those philosopher wierdos confuse you with their so called "reason".
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lunatic

I am not going to morally defend dog fvcking, like I am not going to morally defend the torture of animals in factories before we eat them. Hunting for survival is one thing but mass torture of our food is probably worse than someone screwing an animal. I don't like either of them, but I'd rather just acknowledge that morality is non-existent, and still enjoy a cheeseburger and not think about what went into making that burger happen.
Unfortunately I can't craft a moral argument in the face of the proposition that "morality is non-existent".

If that was really true then nothing is worse or better and the statement:
mass torture of our food is probably worse than someone screwing an animal.
Has no concrete meaning.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
That's true if you are a Christian.
badger
badger
You're a creep dude and you know it. A hyper-anonymous profile,  your only attempt at being accepted into polite society conning internet dummies about "freedom" and "truth". 

The world will forever think you're a freak. Do fuck off. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I will continue to hold that animals cannot consent. I don't feel because of that they should get to be raped by human beings. They also in general do not breed for pleasure you have to be in heat in order to attract a male species.   Humans have sex at will so I do not believe that animals and people were meant to engage in sexual acts at all together. And I think that anyone that finds an animal attractive has something seriously wrong with them they are on the same level as a pedophile. There is an inherent element of dominance and the degradation of the victim on the receiving end that makes it unattractive as possible. Even in the BDSM community there is a level of consent and a level of restraint.
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I am not going to morally defend dog fvcking, like I am not going to morally defend the torture of animals in factories before we eat them. Hunting for survival is one thing but mass torture of our food is probably worse than someone screwing an animal. I don't like either of them, but I'd rather just acknowledge that morality is non-existent, and still enjoy a cheeseburger and not think about what went into making that burger happen.
Unfortunately I can't craft a moral argument in the face of the proposition that "morality is non-existent".

If that was really true then nothing is worse or better and the statement:
mass torture of our food is probably worse than someone screwing an animal.
Has no concrete meaning.
My "moral system" is probably pretty unique is why. Ultimately I don't believe in the existence of morality. I don't look at it from the pessimistic view point that people automatically associate nihilism with. I see personal value in holding "moral" standards, as long as in the long run I acknowledge that they don't exist, and that my opinion isn't objective. You could call me a subjectivist, but there are deeper reasons that I don't think morality exists. 

So in context to this conversation, you are right that saying "one thing is worse than another" is virtually meaningless for the sake of debate and convincing others. It's more of a personal standard of valuing one thing as deplorable, and the other as distasteful and repugnant IE murder, over animal "rape". 

When I last discussed this with you on DDO I believe that's about where our conversation on this topic had stagnated. I accepted your argument that "we do worse thing to animals all the time".

I don't think I ever remained convinced that it wasn't essentially rape though, more just so that you were saying it should be okay because other worse things are accepted by society. I think you should have the freedom of speech to defend your idea though, and that I will always fight for.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@FLRW
@badger
That's true if you are a Christian.
It's true regardless. The bible as often published is ambiguous on the issue since god first suggested every form of bestiality before Adam objected (Genesis), yet later it is forbidden to lay with a beast in Leviticus. You could be saying that since Christians believe all morality flows from the will of god none of it is inherent, I find that understanding of the word "inherent" oblique.

You're a creep dude and you know it.
I do not know that.

A hyper-anonymous profile
Yes
your only attempt at being accepted into polite society conning internet dummies about "freedom" and "truth".
It is my only attempt and the only attempt I can make. It is however not a con.

The world will forever think you're a freak.
Forever is a long time. Unlike previous history these posts may well endure uncorrupted for thousands of generations. I will probably die before it happens but I would be extremely surprised if some future generation does not see my beliefs as innovative and my sexual orientation as harmless. They may of course find the cause of sexual deviancy and correct it though.

Do fuck off. 
No
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
+1 Poly and well said
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I will continue to hold that animals cannot consent. I don't feel because of that they should get to be raped by human beings. They also in general do not breed for pleasure you have to be in heat in order to attract a male species.   Humans have sex at will so I do not believe that animals and people were meant to engage in sexual acts at all together. And I think that anyone that finds an animal attractive has something seriously wrong with them they are on the same level as a pedophile. There is an inherent element of dominance and the degradation of the victim on the receiving end that makes it unattractive as possible. Even in the BDSM community there is a level of consent and a level of restraint.
I ultimately agree here, but the one thing I would discern differently is that humans are animals too. The reason you have to apply a difference here is the human intelligence and capability of understanding. At our most basic and primal instinct, sex is for breeding for us as well. We have just evolved enough as a species where we engage in it for pleasure too, where many animals don't.
badger
badger
It is however not a con.
It is a con. All you have is the debate and every response you get legitimises you. But these are noble ideas for a noble humanity. Humanity's got to the truth about you already.

You're just an unwelcome dog-fucker. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I will continue to hold that animals cannot consent.
Do you believe you can prove that to be the case with a specific definition of consent? If you can will the rest of your world-view survive the definition and its implications?

They also in general do not breed for pleasure you have to be in heat in order to attract a male species. 
The animal kingdom is vast. It includes worms and humans so there are very few generalizations. Worms don't breed for pleasure I'll grant. Humans do I assume you'll admit.

The question you then pose is which animals breed for pleasure.

I reject the formulation, it implies binary motivations [mechanistic vs willful] which do not accurately predict the behavior of intelligent animals. We need only look at ourselves to see how primordial pheromones/hormones interact with learned behavior and adaptive intelligence.

Humans have sex at will
We certainly do, but why do we have sex at will?

Does it send nerve signals to our brain which register as pleasure and therefore motivate us to engage in it? Yes.
Is that objectively true of a horse or a dog? Yes.

Are we influenced by pheromones & hormones which ratchet up our instincts, what we call "horny" and thus motivate us to get into situations where sex may occur? Yes.

Is it not the simplest explanation that animals whom (relatively speaking) broke off from our evolutionary line recently operate the same way? We need only imagine heat cycles as exaggerated versions of our own cycles to explain what we observe.

Not only that, but evidence makes it impossible to believe that pheromones alone are a necessary or sufficient cause of sexual behavior in higher animals:

A sufficiently violent female will not be approached by a male who has been hurt too many times, even during heat. The males learned and they decided. That indicates urges but not clockwork.

Males will mate with other males, males don't produce heat pheromones, and even if a female was nearby clearly the pheromones aren't target specific.

Pheromones make them horny, once they learn it feels good, they'll do again without the pheromones. Not only that but they prefer friends to strangers. Just like humans; It all makes perfect sense provided you look at the facts objectively.

so I do not believe that animals and people were meant to engage in sexual acts at all together.
"meant" implies an intention. There is only the pseudo-intention of evolution, and clearly neither bestiality nor condoms are intended in that sense.

Fellatio isn't meant to happen, but it works and that's what matters.

And I think that anyone that finds an animal attractive has something seriously wrong with them
What is that thing?

they are on the same level as a pedophile.
You could say they are on the same level as Hitler but that would not defeat a single argument.

There is an inherent element of dominance and the degradation of the victim on the receiving end that makes it unattractive as possible.
Some people definitely do roleplay in their own minds, but that is not inherent.

Even in the BDSM community there is a level of consent and a level of restraint.
You make assumptions about the typical act of bestiality and its participants, but it doesn't really matter to the core of the issue. Neither the law or morality have any sane application based on arbitrary groups of people. You deal with categorized behavior. Condemning some types of behavior and not others.

In the BDSM community you say a "level of consent" a "level of restraint", the average "level" thereof is meaningless in moral calculus. If there is no consent in one particular instance that is a problem. If there is consent there is not a problem. You can't say "too many BDSM stuff is done with insufficient consent therefore you (specific person who did nothing wrong) aren't allowed to consent anymore"
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lunatic
When I last discussed this with you on DDO I believe that's about where our conversation on this topic had stagnated. I accepted your argument that "we do worse thing to animals all the time".

I don't think I ever remained convinced that it wasn't essentially rape though, more just so that you were saying it should be okay because other worse things are accepted by society.
One can make arguments within the scope of a framework of premises that one does not personally hold. For instance an atheist can make arguments to Christians based on the bible, even if those Christians refuse to entertain the idea that the bible is not entirely and essentially correct.

If you think "rape" is as subjective as morality there is nothing more to say. If you believe you can define it and its predicated concepts objectively and consistently with the common understanding, I would show you that bestiality is not necessarily rape.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
If you think "rape" is as subjective as morality there is nothing more to say. If you believe you can define it and its predicated concepts objectively and consistently with the common understanding, I would show you that bestiality is not necessarily rape.
What is your stance on rape first of all? If you are willing to make arguments that bestiality is not the same thing I assume you do not support it correct? Correct me if I am wrong.

I do not want to engage in a semantics conversation with you, more an debate of ideas. Before we start this discussion could you explain in your own words what your stance on rape is and why it is or isn't "wrong". 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@badger
It is a con.
Con implies deception.

All you have is the debate and every response you get legitimises you.
Debate does legitimize the truth over falsehood. I don't gain legitimacy my beliefs do.

Humanity's got to the truth about you already.
Like they got to the truth about gays and jews before. You should learn to speak for yourself and not humanity, that's a dangerously incorrect notion to have.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lunatic
What is your stance on rape first of all? If you are willing to make arguments that bestiality is not the same thing I assume you do not support it correct? Correct me if I am wrong.

I do not want to engage in a semantics conversation with you, more an debate of ideas. Before we start this discussion could you explain in your own words what your stance on rape is and why it is or isn't "wrong". 
The fruitless semantic discussions are what occurs when you don't precisely define what you're talking about.

If you are willing to make arguments that bestiality is not the same thing I assume you do not support it correct?
I really don't know what an amoral meaning of "support" would be in this context.

I believe in an objective universal morality that (if pushed) could be condensed to single words like "liberty" or "consent" (they are avatars of the same concept). So I don't support non-consent, ever. The only time I ever encourage ignoring someone's consent is to prevent them from ignoring consent themselves. i.e. punishment/justice.

bestiality is not the same thing
It's definitely not the same thing, it has different definition. There are three possibilities (from the classic venn diagram):

All rape is bestiality
All bestiality is rape <- the real contention
Some rape is bestiality, some bestiality is rape <- I agree

They would only be the same thing if all rape is bestiality and all bestiality is rape (at the same time).

could you explain in your own words what your stance on rape is
You didn't actually ask for a definition of rape, I can't tell you my stance on [undefined].

Rape is sexual intercourse where at least one being possessing a discernible autonomous will at some point in its existence does not provide implied or express consent.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Animals cannot consent. That's why people are able to purchase them and breed them and do all sort of things without the animals having any say in it. I would not approve of an abusive dog owner, I would not approve of an abusive cattle owner. Bestiality is rape therefore it's abuse whether you think the animal is complying or not. A lot of times pedophiles will say well the children didn't say no and that's because children don't know that they can. They are trusting the person older than them to do what's in their best interest and therefore they allow things to be done with them without saying yes or no because they don't know what's going on. An animal can be conditioned to do the same thing to basically submit not hurt the person hurting them and take the abuse. You are a rapist as far as I'm concerned you are an abuser of a being that has lesser ability to understand and communicate than you. That makes you seriously compromise morally and mentally as far as I am concerned. These are all just my personal opinions and obviously I'm not the only one to think them because they're all laws preventing this from happening because in general society of use it as sickness. The difference between that and two consenting adults engaging in a relationship where there's a dominant and a submissive and possibly even abuse is they have discussed it they have consented to it they have safety words in place to stop it when it becomes uncomfortable. It is not the same thing as a rape or sexual assault.
Lunatic
Lunatic
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The fruitless semantic discussions are what occurs when you don't precisely define what you're talking about.
My understanding is that semantics are largely about deciphering meaning though as opposed to picking a part a definition so it suits the narrative of your argument.

I really don't know what an amoral meaning of "support" would be in this context.

I believe in an objective universal morality that (if pushed) could be condensed to single words like "liberty" or "consent" (they are avatars of the same concept). So I don't support non-consent, ever. The only time I ever encourage ignoring someone's consent is to prevent them from ignoring consent themselves. i.e. punishment/justice.
Good to know. So you think you can substantiate that the animals you have sex with consent and understand exactly what you are doing to them when you have sex with them?

It's definitely not the same thing, it has different definition. There are three possibilities (from the classic venn diagram):

All rape is bestiality
All bestiality is rape <- the real contention
Some rape is bestiality, some bestiality is rape <- I agree

They would only be the same thing if all rape is bestiality and all bestiality is rape (at the same time).
I don't want to pull a Cathy Newman and do the whole "so your saying" thing, but am I misunderstanding you by assuming you are breaking this down argumentatively by saying not all bestiality is rape because, but in cases where you feel an animal has not consented, you feel it is not okay? 

If that understanding is incorrect I may ask you to dumb that down for me. I hate arguments in the style of "If x means this than y means that" for exactly this reason lol.

You didn't actually ask for a definition of rape, I can't tell you my stance on [undefined].

Rape is sexual intercourse where at least one being possessing a discernible autonomous will at some point in its existence does not provide implied or express consent.
I didn't ask for the definition of rape because I don't want to me manipulated into a semantics debate. I simply want to determine if your ideas of rape are consistent with humans as they are with animals, and if not understand why one is different to you than the other. Just because worse things are "legally" allowed to be done to animals, I feel like that isn't a good argument for partaking in something especially if you feel it is wrong. But in my own words with eating a cheeseburger that was the result of an animal being tortured in a factory, I can justify that by being so far removed from the torture itself that I can enjoy the product. A vegan could argue I am part of the problem because corporations will continue torturing animals as long as I purchase the product and continuously provide them the money to do so, they will continue to murder animals in the fastest most profitable way regardless of the harm done to the animals. I feel that even if I rioted and advocated with the vegans, there would never be enough support to make people care, especially over populated countries, or starving countries. There simply will always be a market for this, and whether I do or do not stop eating cheeseburgers, nothing will change or come of it, so why not eat the burger while admitting I think they way they are produced is horrible and wish it was changed? The act of eating a cheeseburger isn't wrong to me if the killing of the animal is done humanely, but considering I have no control over that process, I think it's okay to do it. 

In the case of bestiality though, that is something we have control over, and just because it's mostly legal, doesn't mean your participation doesn't directly harm the animal. 

This whole debate is a matter of ideas and philosophy at its core, and I want to understand from you without playing the argumentative games that miss the point. I want to understand what your morals are telling you and how you aren't contradicting them. 
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi

I maintain that:

I have no burden of proof for the first statement.

False.  Wikipedia advises:

When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim especially when it challenges a perceived status quo.   This is also stated in Hitchens's razor, which declares that "what may be asserted without evidence, may be dismissed without evidence."
Let's agree that the statement "Bestiality is not immoral" challenges the perceived status quo in any well known culture or time period.

To the extent that you have brought no evidence, the onus of proof is on you and this claim may be dismissed without argument until that onus is met.
I do for the second and will provide an argument upon request.

Anything which is not inherently immoral should not be illegal.
Disagree- depends on the framework governing that "should"  For example it would not be inherently immoral to assassinate Vladimir Putin today.  Such an act would save tens of thousands of live, preserve democracy in the West, preserve Ukrainian and Russian sovereignty, and avoid the threat of nuclear showdown.  But assassination should and of a right ought to be illegal in the context of state sovereignty.

Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@RationalMadman
Lol, you called it with this guy
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
And I think that anyone that finds an animal attractive has something seriously wrong with them
What is that thing?
They lack the tender ministrations of a judicial apparatus willing to punch an 8mm hole in their skull.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Sum1hugme
The part that is peculiar is he aimed (this was years ago so idk if he changed) at making male dogs hump him if I recall correctly.

I just find it pointless to entertain this shit but whatever, debate him. I just think it is pointless.

To me, his variation of bestiality is the equivalent of a power bottom who thinks no male human will want him that way. I don't want to ridicule him and dig deep into whatever trauma(s) and memories caused this.
coal
Debates: 6
coal
Dude's been grinding this ax for years.  I guess he hasn't come to terms with societal norms against fucking household pets yet. 
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Animals cannot consent. That's why people are able to purchase them and breed them and do all sort of things without the animals having any say in it.
Yet people have purchased other people and bred them and did all sorts of things without the slaves having any say in it. That does not prove consent is not possible, and if consent was impossible then it would not be needed.

Bestiality is rape therefore it's abuse whether you think the animal is complying or not.
Choose definitions for rape and abuse and I shall disabuse you.

A lot of times pedophiles will say well the children didn't say no and that's because children don't know that they can. They are trusting the person older than them to do what's in their best interest and therefore they allow things to be done with them without saying yes or no because they don't know what's going on.
This is essentially true.

An animal can be conditioned to do the same thing to basically submit not hurt the person hurting them and take the abuse.
Depending on the species and character of the animal this can be true. Certainly many dogs will sit and let a vet use needles on them. If they were not punished extensively beforehand every time they whined, they will whine.

You are a rapist as far as I'm concerned you are an abuser of a being that has lesser ability to understand and communicate than you. That makes you seriously compromise morally and mentally as far as I am concerned. These are all just my personal opinions and obviously I'm not the only one to think them because they're all laws preventing this from happening because in general society of use it as sickness.
Yet if you cannot substantiate your beliefs I have no reason to agree to them.

The difference between that and two consenting adults engaging in a relationship where there's a dominant and a submissive and possibly even abuse is they have discussed it they have consented to it they have safety words in place to stop it when it becomes uncomfortable. It is not the same thing as a rape or sexual assault.
BDSM isn't rape when it was consented to. Bestiality isn't rape when it is consented to. Animals have body language and vocalizations which can be used to communicate, and failing those action. A safe word only needs to be agreed upon when roleplaying non-consent because when said roleplay is not involved the safe word is "no". If the humans don't share a common language: body language such as frowning, angry yelling, pushing away, slapping, or running away cannot be misinterpreted.

Just as I believe there is no way to accidentally rape a human even if you don't speak the same language I believe there is no way to accidentally rape a domesticated animal. There is an exception in both cases: if the animal/person has been viciously conditioned to never object to anything. That is very atypical. People don't call animals "stubborn" because they are unfailingly cooperative.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lunatic

really don't know what an amoral meaning of "support" would be in this context.

Good to know. So you think you can substantiate that the animals you have sex with consent and understand exactly what you are doing to them when you have sex with them?
I didn't say I have sex with non-humans, let us say hypothetically that I have in some jurisdiction where it would be legal to do so. I could in that case know that I had the animal's consent by applying an inductive argument to their behavior (including vocalizations) in the context of my knowledge of their personality and history. That description technically describes the assessment of consent from humans as well, it is never known with 100% certainty; one simply must eliminate the absurd in order to live.

Understanding exactly what I am doing to them (or in my case what they are doing to me) is a different matter entirely. We both know that bit is going in that hole. We both know that the other endorses this procedure. The animal may understand fluid is being transferred. The animal definitely doesn't understand that the fluid contains tiny machines called cells. There is no doubt something I don't understand about it as well, I can't tell you what that is but if I had lived 200 years ago I would not know about the cells.

I don't want to pull a Cathy Newman and do the whole "so your saying" thing, but am I misunderstanding you by assuming you are breaking this down argumentatively by saying not all bestiality is rape because, but in cases where you feel an animal has not consented, you feel it is not okay?
If Cathy Newman was doing it honestly there wouldn't be a problem.

I believe not all bestiality is rape, but some bestiality is rape. It is rape when it is not consensual. I find that unacceptable, however regardless of whether I found it acceptable or not it would be rape given the definition of rape I gave.

A legal definition of rape might not hold non-consenting bestiality to be rape because animals aren't persons under the law. That is why I am very careful about definitions, words serve a purpose and when a word has moral connotations like "rape" its definition must be carefully tailored to reflect the morally relevant concept, in this case consent regardless of some legal notion of personhood.

Just because worse things are "legally" allowed to be done to animals, I feel like that isn't a good argument for partaking in something especially if you feel it is wrong.
That is essentially correct and I am total agreement. Even a perfect liberal set of laws allows plenty of room for vice. However in this case this isn't something "worse" it's something considerably better than average.

But in my own words with eating a cheeseburger that was the result of an animal being tortured in a factory, I can justify that by being so far removed from the torture itself that I can enjoy the product. A vegan could argue I am part of the problem because corporations will continue torturing animals as long as I purchase the product and continuously provide them the money to do so, they will continue to murder animals in the fastest most profitable way regardless of the harm done to the animals. I feel that even if I rioted and advocated with the vegans, there would never be enough support to make people care, especially over populated countries, or starving countries. There simply will always be a market for this, and whether I do or do not stop eating cheeseburgers, nothing will change or come of it, so why not eat the burger while admitting I think they way they are produced is horrible and wish it was changed? The act of eating a cheeseburger isn't wrong to me if the killing of the animal is done humanely, but considering I have no control over that process, I think it's okay to do it. 
I agree that it is unlikely that beef or pork eating will end anytime soon. It is far more likely that that meat will become lab-grown before people give it up. I would caution against believing everything vegan activists say. I have been to many local farms and there is very little in the way of torture (especially for dairy). I know there are mega-corp farms where the vegans get their shock-footage but I would be wary of their statistical math.

There is no nice way to kill, and I don't eat beef or pork (or any other mammal), but I do still eat chicken and turkey. Not sure about that, but I have zero reservations about eggs, milk, fish, and arthropods.

In reference to over-populated or starving countries, cattle farming is a terrible idea if you're actually in a calorie deficient. Just feed the people corn instead of feeding the bovids and then the people. I say that like it is novel advice but nobody needs to be told, poor people do eat less meat because meat is hard to produce compared to grain and tubers.

If you do believe there is an intractable moral problem in the production of a product then I would agree with the vegans that you are part of the problem if you consume it. In your case however the problem could equally be said to be a lack of transparency in allowing you to choose to buy "humane" beef.

In the case of bestiality though, that is something we have control over, and just because it's mostly legal, doesn't mean your participation doesn't directly harm the animal. 
It's not mostly legal in most places in the west. The legality has no bearing on the actual reality of harm or non-harm. I know there is no harm by observation and inference in the context of all my knowledge. That's the only way to know anything.
This whole debate is a matter of ideas and philosophy at its core, and I want to understand from you without playing the argumentative games that miss the point. I want to understand what your morals are telling you and how you aren't contradicting them. 
Without conceding that requiring common definitions is "playing the argumentative games that miss the point" I'll try to answer in brief.

My values are liberty, knowledge/truth/reason, life, prosperity, beauty, and pleasure more or less in that order.

I don't always pursue my values to the best of my ability, if I did that would mean I was perfectly virtuous and nobody is perfect.

There are many temptations and apparent conflicts between values that come up in my life and always come up in people's lives.

If I were to make a list of disappointing or frustrating elements where the correct course of action isn't obvious bestiality would not make the top 50. Why? It's actually very simple and straightforward concept. Above polytheist was talking about BSDM and safewords. That's a human making things as complicated as possible. A dog doesn't make things complicated they make things simple. They want food, they want to explore, they want to play, and they want what feels good to them.

It's not rocket science and there is not that much room for error. Communicating future intention is hard. Communicating current opinion [good or bad] is very easy. Anyone who has interacted with domestic animals can attest to this.

With the basest of good sense in selecting activities and times sex can be more than something they tolerate it can be something they look forward to, beg for. Not always, every one of them forms their own ideas (which is the reason their consent can be said to exist). Some won't even let the first time happen. Some won't let the second time happen. Some will try to make it happen every day.

There have been experiments which attempt to evaluate relative motivations in animals by forcing them to choose between doors after they have learned only one will open.

Through such experiments they have established that some cats or dogs or horses will actually choose playing a simple game with a human over food. Many cats and some dogs are mortal enemies of bathtime and they will let you know it. I have no doubt that if an experiment was setup in which they were to choose (and it happened enough times that they understood what they are choosing) between a treat, playing with a human, and mating with a human a significant number would choose mating.

There is no tradeoff, there is no "greater good" or "lesser evil" it's just good. There is no contradiction on the horizon so if you thinking of one you're going to have to say it.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
I maintain that:

I have no burden of proof for the first statement.
False.  Wikipedia advises:

When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim especially when it challenges a perceived status quo.   This is also stated in Hitchens's razor, which declares that "what may be asserted without evidence, may be dismissed without evidence."
Let's agree that the statement "Bestiality is not immoral" challenges the perceived status quo in any well known culture or time period.

First, Wikipedia is wrong, I know unimaginable, yet true. Such a formulation of BoP is based on the arbitrary cultural perspective of the time and almost random happenstance of how an assertion may have come to in a conversation. It is thus absurd in the context of any kind of serious rational inquiry.

The only epistemologically sound BoP is based on the evidentiary pattern of existence vs non-existence. The non-existent does not present evidence of its non-existence. The existent only sometimes presents evidence of its existence.

The BoP is on the positive assertion, that is the assertion of existence. Never on the assertion of non-existence. Observe:

This is also stated in Hitchens's razor, which declares that "what may be asserted without evidence, may be dismissed without evidence."
What if the assertion is that there is no evidence? Shall we search for evidence of non-evidence lest we be dismissed?

To the extent that you have brought no evidence, the onus of proof is on you and this claim may be dismissed without argument until that onus is met.
Explain the burden of proof for this assertion:

The claim that there is a flying spaghetti monster is without support.

Second,
I don't agree: ancient Egypt, classical Greece, or a period in India during which a temple depicting bestiality was constructed... but then again education isn't great so you might claim those aren't well known cultures.

Anything which is not inherently immoral should not be illegal.
Disagree- depends on the framework governing that "should"  For example it would not be inherently immoral to assassinate Vladimir Putin today.  Such an act would save tens of thousands of live, preserve democracy in the West, preserve Ukrainian and Russian sovereignty, and avoid the threat of nuclear showdown.  But assassination should and of a right ought to be illegal in the context of state sovereignty.
An example is most often effective as a reduction to absurdity, but the greater absurdity to me would be asserting that if someone is threatening the life and liberty of tens of thousands of others you are obligated to slaughter his goons before you let him off the hook. In short this example failed because I see no reason assassination should be illegal if it is the only practicable way to avoid the deprivation of rights to the innocent.

You seem to assume that I would consider this scenario morally different from a sniper taking out a hostage taking bank robber, but I don't.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Sum1hugme
Lol, you [RationalMadman] called it with this guy
He caused it.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
@RationalMadman
The part that is peculiar is he aimed (this was years ago so idk if he changed) at making male dogs hump him if I recall correctly.
I have not changed, "letting" would be a more accurate word, and "aimed" implies it's some kind of complicated project that could take years to come to fruition. You know people have to train some dogs to not hump your leg right?
To me, his variation of bestiality is the equivalent of a power bottom who thinks no male human will want him that way. I don't want to ridicule him and dig deep into whatever trauma(s) and memories caused this.
Each individual has their own charms and let downs. Each biology has benefits and drawbacks. One is not a substitute for the other. It is not for lack of access real or imagined that I have done or desire to do anything. After all I'm sure you're aware that male prostitutes can be hired if I was so desperate.

I am not aware of any trauma that could be related to my sexuality.

I am curious why you would create this baseless speculation? Why in the world would it make you feel better to think of me as essentially a tragic and lost homosexual than a zoosexual?
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
The reality is that what can be done can be done.

And inherency is a physiological proposition.

Is postnatally acquired data, inherently acquired data?

Not really, so morality and consequently immorality become preponderant make believe.

So in reality, fucking whatever, isn't actually moral or immoral, it's just the manifestation of the real needs of inherency.

But it's been a long time since we left the trees, and started making up and remembering stuff.

Perhaps it would be better to adopt the sperm bank and castration system of population management.

Along with quotas and gene scrutiny.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
RM caused you to make a post about how it's not wrong to fuck dogs? How's that exactly?