How should the US handle the Ukraine War?

Author: Sum1hugme

Total: 40
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Sum1hugme
Consequences entail unnecessary loss of life
Not necessarily. The consequences of America's unjust war in Iraq is a world that ignores America.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Greyparrot
I didn't say consequences are limited to loss of life. Just that unnecessary loss of life is entailed in the consequences of unjust wars. 
Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@zedvictor4
I was just curious what exactly his research was that led him to the conclusion that America caused Russia to invade 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Sum1hugme
It was probably all Biden's fault because he stole the Presidency from the amazing orange guy and Vlad was miffed.

He probably read it on some Republican conspiracy theory website.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Greyparrot
we are in decline. and thats a good thing
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Dr.Franklin
It is what it is. Who coulda figure hypocritical virtue signaling isn't a coherent foreign policy?
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Greyparrot
Not me
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Sum1hugme
I remember this conversation.  Here's a debate I did on the invasion of Crimea from 8 years ago:

Now that Russia has actually invaded, what do you think the US should be doing? If you were president, what would you do? Would you respond to international pressure to punish Russia at all? 
The question is oddly retrograde.  The US response has been highly engaged in the past six weeks and the punishments laid on Russia already are pretty deep- the Russian stock market will partly re-open today after being closed for a month,  GDP forecast for 2022 has swung from 2% growth to 7% shrinkage, the Russian internet has been reduced to ballet performances and fishing shows, the Russian people are showing escalating signs of rebellion.  Biden has demonstrated a lot of leadership in uniting NATO against Russia while also denying Putin any legitimate new grievance  in Europe.  Biden led Congress to a bi-partisan condemnation of Russia (splitting off the radical anti-democracy faction) and a giant rapid response arms package. 

To ask what we should be doing seems to ignore that we've already done pretty much everything on the list of things we can do short of going to war.

To ask whether we should respond to international pressure suggests that the US was not the nation leading the international pressure over the past six weeks, which we were to a significant extent.

I think Biden has done what he can and should do up to this point,  diplomatically & economically.  Now it is time to listen to the generals.  If I was a general, I might point out that Putin's own life is the single point of failure in all of this genocide and destruction.  The minute Putin is gone, this whole crisis ends.  However much such a suggestion violates international law, if I was a general I would definitely be offering my President some stealth assassin drone options, some cyanide tea options, etc.  I don't think any International court would really fault the assassination of a mad dictator carelessly threatening to nuke everybody.

Sum1hugme
Sum1hugme
-->
@oromagi
To ask what we should be doing seems to ignore that we've already done pretty much everything on the list of things we can do short of going to war.
  Im not ignoring what we've done. And I have agreed with the US response so far. I'm just curious what others think the US should have done and should be doing. 

32 days later

Jeff_Goldblum
Debates: 13
Jeff_Goldblum
Here is my open debate on how the US should respond to the potential use of chemical weapons in Ukraine: https://www.debateart.com/debates/3416-us-military-response-to-russian-chemical-weapon-use-in-ukraine