Are Christians bootlickers?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 106
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
It sounds like to me that they are.

For example, their bible states that most people will burn in hell forever (Matthew 7:13-14)

When pointing this out, Christians say, "They deserve to burn in hell if God puts them there"

This is bootlicking; because God can do something as horrible as burn people in hell forever and the Christians have no problem with it.

There is not a single crime you can do that is so horrible the just penalty is an eternity in hell.  The worst crime you can do (murder) can be punished by hell for only a minute because hell is extremely painful.  Rape (possibly the 2nd worst crime you can do) can be punished with 24 seconds in hell and given the painfulness of hell, 24 seconds would be justified.  But anyone who is not a murderer or a rapist should not spend one instant in hell without their consent.  To disagree and advocate that your typical Joe and Jane deserve to burn in hell forever because the bible says so is bootlicking God, and bootlicking is unamerican.

Christians also have said, "Just repent and change your ways and God will send you to heaven".

However, they should NOT be forced to repent.

Lets say someone genuinely hates Joe Biden because of a political disagreement.  Now lets say Joe Biden said, "Anyone that hates me should change their ways or else I will jail them the rest of their life and give them white room torture.  Keep in mind that I love these people and I give them free will but their options are support me and everything I do or life in jail with white room torture".  If Joe Biden said this, it would be incredibly tyrannical and authoritarian and anyone who likes Biden at that point would be a bootlicker.

If you happen to dislike Trump, imagine the same scenario as above, except Trump is saying that to a never Trumper.  Anyone who likes Trump at that point is a bootlicker to Trump.

If you agree with someone torturing someone in hell forever because the prosecuted merely dislikes the person in charge, then you are a bootlicker.  Bootlicking is unamerican and anti liberty.

n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
Ah yes... but what if we actually support Joe biden torturing his enemies?
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Let's agree that any superbeing who would create hell is no good Christian.

I wouldn't call it bootlicking because bootlicking is "excessive obedience, excessive servileness" but if you believe in all powerful being who will judge you according to a fairly vague and uncertifiable set of rules and may sentence you to eternal torture and misery if he finds you wanting, then I submit that no degree of obedience or servility would qualify as excessive under those circumstances.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@n8nrgmi
Then your a bootlicker.  Torturing people because you disagree with them is evil.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
The definition is, "an obsequious or overly deferential person; a toady.".  (bootlicker definition - Search (bing.com)).  Being deferential to somebody that burns people in hell forever is bootlicking.
oromagi
oromagi
Being deferential to somebody that burns people in hell forever is bootlicking.
it is certainly deferential but if the entity that you are deferring to is all powerful then how can we make the judgement of "overly?"  If someone is holding a pistol to your head, then nobody would judge you as being overly deferential for doing whatever your assailant demands.  Therefore if the pistol is everlasting and the pain of being shot is eternal, so much more the appropriateness of any degree of  deference demonstrated.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
No,
Christian is too wide and vague a belief,
To say they all believe the same concept of God, Afterlife.

There's also not an issue with honoring one's father or mother,
Why an issue with honoring God?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@TheUnderdog

Remember that you can make a lot of money off bootlickers telling them that you will pray for them. Televangelist Kenneth Copeland has an estimated net worth of $750 million.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Matthew 25:21
His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

So Christians are often refer to themselves as servants. And there are quite a few Bible verses the fact that up one is above. Is a servant a boot licker? And the people look at butlers and think I'll look that's that guy's boot licker? I feel like boot licker implies a person is trying to gain favor with someone. But if a Christian is saved and they're guaranteed their place in heaven then their actions would be that of a servant and not necessarily a boot licker. And technically that's the point of witnessing is to convince people to join them so they don't burn in hell so Christians don't necessarily want someone to burn in hell though I'm sure there are Christians that want certain people to burn in hell though they've never say that. So I think the term boot licker isn't quite hitting the nail on the head. Maybe stormtrooper would be more appropriate, like in the Star Wars sense. Willfully serving the dark side

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@FLRW
 Kenneth Copeland has an estimated net worth of $750 million.
Wow.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
There's also not an issue with honoring one's father or mother,
Why an issue with honoring God?
Mom and Dad don't burn you in hell forever.  My parents personally don't care what I think of them.

God is more like communist China than he is mom or dad; he can't take criticism.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
If I believed in God,
I would not believe he burns humans in Hell forever,
Even when I 'did believe in God, I did not hold such a belief.

I believe that many who believe in God,
Have faith, that he is good, just, 'worthy of their devotion, for more than fear, 'BAH on the fear.
Though they do not know 'everything about God, existence, or why.

If the fear matters, it's in how an unjust and evil life harms oneself, and those around them.
Though I admit not all hold my perspective.

. . .

Well, perspective of what Christianity is, and aspires to,
'Still an atheist myself, and prefer serving 'myself.
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@TheUnderdog

TheUnderdog,

YOUR QUOTE: "Christians also have said, "Just repent and change your ways and God will send you to heaven."

Biblically, a pseudo-christian's "Past Sins" at the time they accepted my serial killer Jesus the Christ as their Savior are only forgiven, and NOT future sinsBeing justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.” (Romans 3:24-25)

Otherwise, if a pseudo-christian thinks that they can continually sin, repent, and be forgiven, then there is no incentive NOT to sin again, that goes directly against Romans 3:24-25 that says ONLY past sins are forgiven at the time of understanding the truth of accepting Jesus!  Therefore, any Christian that does not accept this biblical axiom is subject to HELLFIRE! Praise Jesus' revenge upon the ungodly!

If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,” (Hebrews 10:26) 

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
If I believed in God,
I would not believe he burns humans in Hell forever,
That's what the bible says though.  It would be nice if this weren't the case, but I have to be honest.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheUnderdog
There are plenty of other gods and traditions and spiritual paths to choose from. Just because the Bible says something doesn't mean you have to do it or that you have to follow that God that is one choice out of how many. If you want to say I don't want to worship the Christian God because of the Bible I would understand that but to say I don't worship God cuz the Bible says so like the Bible actually true and factual is kind of silly.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
I don't agree with your interpretation of the Bible, or the Abrahamic Religion.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas
The notion that any God would torture anyone in hell forever for any crime is horrible.  Such gods aren't worthy of worship.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
My argument is that Christians are bootlickers, not inherently people of other faiths, although any god that burns people in hell forever is unfit for worship.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@oromagi
If someone is holding a pistol to your head, then nobody would judge you as being overly deferential for doing whatever your assailant demands.  Therefore if the pistol is everlasting and the pain of being shot is eternal, so much more the appropriateness of any degree of  deference demonstrated.
If someone holds a gun to me head and demands something, I wouldn't be loving the person that did that to me.  But for some reason, people love God, even though he does stuff to people that is worse than murder.

We need to stop worshipping out of fear, especially from entities that aren't threatening us right now.  Lets make Christainity a myth just like the greek gods.  At least the greek gods (most of them) never burned you in hell forever for refusing to worship them.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@TheUnderdog
It sounds like to me that they are.

For example, their bible states that most people will burn in hell forever (Matthew 7:13-14)
My position as many people in the church is that most people in history will end up in Heaven and that only a minority of people will end up being judged in Hell.  The Book of Revelation tells us that the number of people in Heaven is number without count.  Admittedly there are some people who hold to the  erroneous view that more people will go to Hell.  The passage you refer to in the Sermon on the Mount talks about the many and the few. It is a parable of course - and it was speaking in general terms to those people in Jesus' time and more or less to a time prior to the incarnation. The world's population was much smaller than it is now - and since that time - the numbers of believers have grown exponentially around the world for a significant period of time. My view is that such numbers will continue to grow. Yes, I have seen the numbers in the West suggesting christians are reducing in number. But have you seen the numbers in Africa, and China, and Asia, and South America? Exponential growth is still occurring.  

When pointing this out, Christians say, "They deserve to burn in hell if God puts them there"
I think you will find that Christians generally say - that EVERYONE - christian or non-christian deserves judgment from God - for all have sinned and fallen short of his requirements. That's why Jesus is significant. Because he is the only one who did not deserve judgment because he alone did not sin.  Since Christians hold to the view that God is good and just - we take the view that since we know the punishment for our sin and do it anyway that - we have no excuse. And we have no defense.  Noone forces us to sin - we choose to do it ourselves - knowing full well it will have consequences. 

Moreover - you need to flip this upside down to try and understand it better.  If Hellfire is the punishment - why is it so severe and harsh? In normal legal systems - the more severe and heavy the punishment - the greater the value of what is being protected.  We value life as a rule so someone who takes away someone else's life is given a punishment appropriate to that - which is mitigated only by circumstances and intent. We value the sanctity of the marriage which is why rape, and adultery and other forms of sexual offences are given heavy sentences (at least historically).  Incidentally, one way to show marriage is not valued anymore in the west is the fact we don't in many countries have punishment for adultery. 

The question you need to ask is what is the offence that deserves the most terrible and awful judgment? And the answer is interestingly, even on most legal books the most serious offence- treason. Go and have a look at the various legal systems around the world. One of the few offences which still carries the death penalty in most cases is treason.  Sometimes expressed by attempting to pull down the authority of the king or queen or president. Sometimes expressed in spying to other nations and giving away secrets or attempting to gain secrets. Sometimes expressed by means of desertion within the military.   Conspiring against the authority, disregarding the prevailing power. In Thailand - treason is expressed simply saying something negative about the king. 

Treason of course is in many respects the most serious offence against the STATE.  Murder is against individuals within the state. As is rape. But treason is must more serious in the larger scheme of things in our world today.   

I suggest to you that sin - is treason against God. It is the most vile and offensive thing.  And we do it knowing the consequences - and still sinning  anyway.  

This is bootlicking; because God can do something as horrible as burn people in hell forever and the Christians have no problem with it.
Nope. It is not bootlicking.  God can do anything he chooses to do.  Personally I think the idea of eternal Hell is a metaphor. Judgment is what it is a metaphor of. And as for Christians, I don't know any Christian who wants anyone to burn in Hell.  Are there some? Probably. Most of us - do have a problem with Hell even if we don't have a problem with the justice of God. How can I say that? Because we are constantly warning people how they can avoid going to Hell.  We don't guild the lily. We don't pretend it is not true. We don't say that one is better than another. All of us deserve God's punishment.  We need God's mercy. And his grace. But this is not bootlicking. It is a recognition that even though God does not have too do anything for us - he graciously has.  He sent Jesus. 

There is not a single crime you can do that is so horrible the just penalty is an eternity in hell.  The worst crime you can do (murder) can be punished by hell for only a minute because hell is extremely painful.  Rape (possibly the 2nd worst crime you can do) can be punished with 24 seconds in hell and given the painfulness of hell, 24 seconds would be justified.  But anyone who is not a murderer or a rapist should not spend one instant in hell without their consent.  To disagree and advocate that your typical Joe and Jane deserve to burn in hell forever because the bible says so is bootlicking God, and bootlicking is unamerican.
See above. I reject your assertion that there is no offence that deserves judgment in Hell.  The bible clearly indicates there there is an offence and that all of us have broken it.  You might not like the rules - that is a different matter altogether. How about you go and create your own world and make the rules.  Then you really could make such a silly statement. 

Christians also have said, "Just repent and change your ways and God will send you to heaven".

However, they should NOT be forced to repent.

Lets say someone genuinely hates Joe Biden because of a political disagreement.  Now lets say Joe Biden said, "Anyone that hates me should change their ways or else I will jail them the rest of their life and give them white room torture.  Keep in mind that I love these people and I give them free will but their options are support me and everything I do or life in jail with white room torture".  If Joe Biden said this, it would be incredibly tyrannical and authoritarian and anyone who likes Biden at that point would be a bootlicker.

If you happen to dislike Trump, imagine the same scenario as above, except Trump is saying that to a never Trumper.  Anyone who likes Trump at that point is a bootlicker to Trump.

If you agree with someone torturing someone in hell forever because the prosecuted merely dislikes the person in charge, then you are a bootlicker.  Bootlicking is unamerican and anti liberty.
There is a difference between a crime against a person and a crime against the State - even in our world. To say that this does not apply on a larger and more universal manner is arguing from silence. It is not an argument. People cannot be forced to repent. If people were going to be forced to repent - then no one would be in Hell and everyone would be in heaven. But that is not the case, is it? And if it is - then this entire post is redundant. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
@Poly

There are plenty of other gods and traditions.

Exactly.

Any amount of nonsense available, or just make up your own.

Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@Tradesecret
I suggest to you that sin - is treason against God. It is the most vile and offensive thing.  And we do it knowing the consequences - and still sinning  anyway. 
Treason is held in such high regard in terms of seriousness not because it is vile or immoral, but rather because it threatens the state itself. Nothing can threaten God, so this analogy does not work.

I reject your assertion that there is no offence that deserves judgment in Hell.  The bible clearly indicates there there is an offence and that all of us have broken it.  You might not like the rules - that is a different matter altogether. How about you go and create your own world and make the rules.
Hell is eternal torture for a finite crime. That makes it infinitely unjust. Logic 101.

If I created your own world I would create far more just rules, which is the point here. If I can see the imbalance here why can’t God?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Tradesecret
My position as many people in the church is that most people in history will end up in Heaven and that only a minority of people will end up being judged in Hell.
What biblical verse proves this?

The Book of Revelation tells us that the number of people in Heaven is number without count.
Where?  What verse?

and it was speaking in general terms to those people in Jesus' time and more or less to a time prior to the incarnation
This interpretation requires evidence.  Jesus did a lot of future predicting.

Yes, I have seen the numbers in the West suggesting christians are reducing in number. But have you seen the numbers in Africa, and China, and Asia, and South America? Exponential growth is still occurring.  
How is the popularity of christainity (which I think is decreasing) relevant to the proportion that burn in hell forever?

I think you will find that Christians generally say - that EVERYONE - christian or non-christian deserves judgment from God - for all have sinned and fallen short of his requirements. That's why Jesus is significant. Because he is the only one who did not deserve judgment because he alone did not sin.  Since Christians hold to the view that God is good and just - we take the view that since we know the punishment for our sin and do it anyway that - we have no excuse. And we have no defense.  Noone forces us to sin - we choose to do it ourselves - knowing full well it will have consequences. 
Agreeing with God's horrible view of burning in hell forever for a sin is bootlicking.

If Hellfire is the punishment - why is it so severe and harsh? In normal legal systems - the more severe and heavy the punishment - the greater the value of what is being protected.
In our legal system, even the worst of the worst of murderers (if your country/state has the death penalty) is a relatively painless death and torture violates the 8th amendment.  If we don't burn murderers at the stake for murder (when they die after a few hours), then it is even more horrible to burn someone forever for not keeping the sabbath day holy.

We value life as a rule so someone who takes away someone else's life is given a punishment appropriate to that - which is mitigated only by circumstances and intent. We value the sanctity of the marriage which is why rape, and adultery and other forms of sexual offences are given heavy sentences (at least historically).  Incidentally, one way to show marriage is not valued anymore in the west is the fact we don't in many countries have punishment for adultery. 
Rape and adultery should not be punished with an eternity in hell.  Rapists and murderers deserve to be shot, but this is less severe than an eternity in hell.  Adultery committers should be whipped 30x in the presence of their spouse, but not burn in hell forever.

And the answer is interestingly, even on most legal books the most serious offence- treason. Go and have a look at the various legal systems around the world. One of the few offences which still carries the death penalty in most cases is treason. 
Our justice system doesn't burn people alive who commit treason.  However, God burns people forever for even trivial sins if they are unrepentant.

In Thailand - treason is expressed simply saying something negative about the king. 
Do you really want the justice system to emulate anti first amendment Thailand?

I suggest to you that sin - is treason against God.
God is as thin skinned as the monarch of Thailand; not someone to be emulated.

Nope. It is not bootlicking.  God can do anything he chooses to do.
Letting God burn your relatives in hell forever once they die is bootlicking.  Otherwise, what is bootlicking?

How about you go and create your own world and make the rules.
It is impossible for a human to create a world.  But if God is going to create us just to torture the majority of our species, then that's an evil god.

I also noticed that you contradicted yourself.  First you said that most people aren't burning in hell forever.  Then you claimed that burning in hell was justified if Mr. Sky Wizard deems that you should burn in hell forever.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Out of curiosity, what's your connection/history with Christianity?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
I change religious views a lot.  I grew up catholic, then became an atheist in 7th grade.  Then I flipped between Christianity and atheism a lot.

There is evidence that the universe was created (I see this in mathematics(phpjo8mOy.png (910×568) (d2vlcm61l7u1fs.cloudfront.net))), but if God is burning people in hell forever for trivial things like not keeping the Sabbath day holy, then he is unworthy of worship.  I hope we are living in a simulation so the simulation overlords presented the signs in mathematics that could be seen as evidence of a creator.  I hope the people running this simulation aren't too cruel like the Gods they have presented us with. 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@TheUnderdog
Are Christians bootlickers?

Sycophantic sandal lickers, would have been more appropriate for the time.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
So thinking of yourself in the past, you'd call the yourself of back then, a bootlicker?
Assumably some of your family, friends, acquaintances, back then, you'd call bootlickers, as well?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Stephen
LOL.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
So thinking of yourself in the past, you'd call the yourself of back then, a bootlicker?
Assumably some of your family, friends, acquaintances, back then, you'd call bootlickers, as well?
Probably, but that's peer pressure.  Also, there were times when I thought the cops were always right.  There were times when I thought ICE was always right.  There were times when I thought climate change alarmism was justified.  I was a different person 7 years ago.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Eh, and if you find your faith again, you'll be a bootlicker again?

Myself, I doubt the terms "Bootlicker" and "Mr. Sky Wizard", will get most faithful to question their faith,
More likely it'll just trigger anger and defense, a closed mind.

Myself, I 'prefer, disagreeing without insulting other people, though I 'do fail in my preference, at times.