Are Christians bootlickers?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 106
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@FLRW
The smartest Jew once wrote, "The word 'God' is for me nothing but the expression and product of human weaknesses; the Bible a collection of honorable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish," 
That was written by Albert Einstein.

Young Einstein went through an observant phase at 12, even though his parents were secular Ashkenazi German Jews. He didn’t stay interested in Judaism long enough to have a bar mitzvah though.

Germany did not care for his type as the Holocaust proves.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@Shila
Still, Einstein felt a deep bond with the Jewish people, one that transcended religion as well as the anti-Semitism that Nazis and their sympathizers leveled against him..
Despite his differences with fellow Jews in their practices and beliefs, Gimbel says, Einstein recognized that the relationship he had with Jewish friends was fundamentally different from the one he had with non-Jewish friends. He came to believe that whatever their beliefs, Jews shared common traits.
The first trait Einstein identified as common among Jews was an ability to face the world with a sense of awe and joy, whether the Jews in question were rapturous Hasidim or secular physicists.
The second trait Einstein identified was a sense of social justice. As he wrote in 1938, “The bond that has united the Jews for thousands of years and that unites them today is, above all, the democratic ideal of social justice coupled with the ideal of mutual aid and tolerance among all men.”

I am related to Einstein through the Koch family.
Shila
Shila
-->
@FLRW
Still, Einstein felt a deep bond with the Jewish people, one that transcended religion as well as the anti-Semitism that Nazis and their sympathizers leveled against him..
Despite his differences with fellow Jews in their practices and beliefs, Gimbel says, Einstein recognized that the relationship he had with Jewish friends was fundamentally different from the one he had with non-Jewish friends. He came to believe that whatever their beliefs, Jews shared common traits.
The first trait Einstein identified as common among Jews was an ability to face the world with a sense of awe and joy, whether the Jews in question were rapturous Hasidim or secular physicists.
The second trait Einstein identified was a sense of social justice. As he wrote in 1938, “The bond that has united the Jews for thousands of years and that unites them today is, above all, the democratic ideal of social justice coupled with the ideal of mutual aid and tolerance among all men.”

I am related to Einstein through the Koch family.
Albert Einstein did not work directly on the atom bomb. But Einstein was the father of the bomb in two important ways: 1) it was his initiative which started U.S. bomb research; 2) it was his equation (E = mc2) which made the atomic bomb theoretically possible.”

So the greatness of his Jewishness was contributing to weapons of mass destruction. He singly managed to undo everything Jesus stood for which was the salvation of humanity.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila
No, I hadn’t forgotten that Jesus was a Jew and it was Paul who preached to the gentiles.

Regarding the Jews crucifying Jesus, crucifixion was a Roman method of execution, the Jews stoned people to death. From what we now know about Pontius Pilate, he was a cruel and ruthless individual and if Jesus was claiming to be the Messiah he would have had no hesitation in executing him for treason.

The reason the Jews didn’t covert to Christianity is that their faith was in Judaism, people’s religious faith tends to be strong and they tend not to change it, that  makes them difficult to convert.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
The God of Abraham never mentioned hell. Talked of there being a separation from Him but He does not talk about a hell. Hell is a Christian concept and didn't come along till much later. 
Shila
Shila
-->
@Elliott
No, I hadn’t forgotten that Jesus was a Jew and it was Paul who preached to the gentiles.

Regarding the Jews crucifying Jesus, crucifixion was a Roman method of execution, the Jews stoned people to death. From what we now know about Pontius Pilate, he was a cruel and ruthless individual and if Jesus was claiming to be the Messiah he would have had no hesitation in executing him for treason.

The reason the Jews didn’t covert to Christianity is that their faith was in Judaism, people’s religious faith tends to be strong and they tend not to change it, that  makes them difficult to convert.
Has it not occurred to you Jesus fulfilled at the prophesies in the Old Testament which Judaism follows.

The Old Testament is the Torah, the books of the Prophets and the books of the Writings. Within Judaism this trio is known simply as the Bible, or the Tanakh, an acronym derived from תורה/ Torah (Teaching), נביאים / Nevi’im (Prophets), and כתובים/ Ketuvim (Writings). When the term Old Testament is used, it is often in order to distinguish it from the New Testament, a collection of Christian books and letters that are not part of the Jewish faith.

The Old Testament ended with Malachi 430 years before Jesus’s birth.
But the Old Testament contained prophesies about the coming Messiah promised to the Jews.

Prophecies Christians consider fulfilled by Jesus  from the Old Testament. But because the Jews rejected Jesus as their Messiah, Christianity was created to account for the fulfillment of OT prophesies.
Daniel 9:24–27
Deuteronomy 18:15
Ezekiel 37:24, 25–27
Hosea 11:1
Isaiah 7:14
2Isaiah 8:14
Isaiah 8:22–9:1 (9:1–2)
Isaiah 9:6,7 (Masoretic 9:5,6)
Isaiah 11:12
Isaiah 28:16
Isaiah 53:5
Jeremiah 31:15
Micah 5:2 (Micah 5:1 in Hebrew)
Psalm 2
Psalm 16
Psalm 22
Psalm 34
Psalm 69
Psalm 110
Samuel 7:14
Wisdom 2:12–20
Zechariah 9:9
Zechariah 12:10
Verses read as Davidic line prophecies

Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila
Perhaps the New Testament was written to include the fulfilment of those prophesies simply to establish the claim that Jesus was the Messiah.

To say he fulfilled the Messianic prophesies, what about this one:

Isaiah 2:4
He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.

Looking at the history of Christianity quite the opposite was achieved.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Elliott
Perhaps the New Testament was written to include the fulfilment of those prophesies simply to establish the claim that Jesus was the Messiah.

To say he fulfilled the Messianic prophesies, what about this one:

Isaiah 2:4
He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.

Looking at the history of Christianity quite the opposite was achieved.

Jesus never said his mission was finished. Which explains why he promised to return.

But why he stopped is made clear in john 19. The drink he received was not enough to keep him going. They should have offered him a larger wine cup filled to the top.

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila
Jesus never said his mission was finished. Which explains why he promised to return.

But why he stopped is made clear in john 19. The drink he received was not enough to keep him going. They should have offered him a larger wine cup filled to the top.

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
I don’t know where you are coming from with his “needing more wine” it seems like an attempt at a metaphor and a rather obscure one so at that. I don’t think there is a Biblical reference to give it any substance.

Jesus said “it is finished” so hardly a promise to return, quite the opposite.

The fact is he didn’t fulfil the proficiency in Isaiah 2:4 and it is one fundamental to him being accepted as the Jewish messiah, to say he intends to do it when he returns at some unspecified time is something of a cop out, I doubt the Jews would accept that and I don’t blame them.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Elliott

I don’t know where you are coming from with his “needing more wine” it seems like an attempt at a metaphor and a rather obscure one so at that. I don’t think there is a Biblical reference to give it any substance.

Jesus said “it is finished” so hardly a promise to return, quite the opposite.

The fact is he didn’t fulfil the proficiency in Isaiah 2:4 and it is one fundamental to him being accepted as the Jewish messiah, to say he intends to do it when he returns at some unspecified time is something of a cop out, I doubt the Jews would accept that and I don’t blame them.
You forget the night before Jesus asked god to take away the wine cup he was drinking from. 

So you can image how badly he needed a drink after going through the crucifixion process. But the people underestimated his level of alcoholism and that left Jesus under spirited to continue the good works.

Matthew 26:39 And He went a little farther, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as Thou wilt.”

Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila

You forget the night before Jesus asked god to take away the wine cup he was drinking from. 

So you can image how badly he needed a drink after going through the crucifixion process. But the people underestimated his level of alcoholism and that left Jesus under spirited to continue the good works.

Matthew 26:39 And He went a little farther, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as Thou wilt.”
There is nothing definitive there; it all seems to be speculation based on personal interpretation.

For example, you say “Jesus never said his mission was finished. Which explains why he promised to return.” This is an argument from ignorance. Failing to say his mission is finished puts you in a position of not knowing, it doesn’t equate to him promising to return.

It is one of the reasons I don’t consider Jesus to be a great teacher, if your teachings are open to interpretation then you have failed to accurately convey your message.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Elliott

There is nothing definitive there; it all seems to be speculation based on personal interpretation.

For example, you say “Jesus never said his mission was finished. Which explains why he promised to return.” This is an argument from ignorance. Failing to say his mission is finished puts you in a position of not knowing, it doesn’t equate to him promising to return.

It is one of the reasons I don’t consider Jesus to be a great teacher, if your teachings are open to interpretation then you have failed to accurately convey your message.
You are not alone questioning  Jesus’s claims.
The Jews too rejected Jesus and demanded that he be crucified.

But the man deserves a proper interpretation of what his said because there is a big gap between being a liar or a lunatic.

We all can conclude his work was not finished but his drink was in John 19:30. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila
It isn’t a matter of questioning his teachings it is the fact that people are able to place their own interpretation on them.

As to this “But why he stopped is made clear in john 19. The drink he received was not enough to keep him going. They should have offered him a larger wine cup filled to the top.” It isn't made clear, where in John’s gospel does it say that the drink was not enough and that they should have given him larger wine cup filled to the top?  It doesn’t, it is fabrication. He didn’t even drink from the cup, he sucked the wine from a sponge.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Elliott
It isn’t a matter of questioning his teachings it is the fact that people are able to place their own interpretation on them.

As to this “But why he stopped is made clear in john 19. The drink he received was not enough to keep him going. They should have offered him a larger wine cup filled to the top.” It isn't made clear, where in John’s gospel does it say that the drink was not enough and that they should have given him larger wine cup filled to the top?  It doesn’t, it is fabrication. He didn’t even drink from the cup, he sucked the wine from a sponge.
Sucking wine from a sponge would have even lessened the amount of wine available to Jesus which would have made Jesus declare it is finished even sooner. That only further weakens your  case.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila
Sucking wine from a sponge would have even lessened the amount of wine available to Jesus which would have made Jesus declare it is finished even sooner. That only further weakens your  case.
Okay, we seem to be arguing in circles. I think I have done.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Elliott

Okay, we seem to be arguing in circles. I think I have done.
I am glad I convinced you not to drink wine by sucking wine out of a sponge.