"Sorry Witches ": Where Does This Nonsense Stop?

Author: Stephen

Total: 40
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
Just when you thought Nicola (wee cranky) Sturgeon  First Minister of Scotland couldn't get more stupid and creations, she offers this to Witches from days of yore.

"Today on International Women's Day, as first minister on behalf of the Scottish government, I am choosing to acknowledge that egregious historic injustice and extend a formal posthumous apology to all of those accused, convicted, vilified or executed under the Witchcraft Act of 1563."

So it appears that there aren't  more pressing and immediate problems for a first minister of a country to be concerned about when  the last Witch murdered in that part of Britain was over some 350 years ago. 

Will it now follow that the ancestors of Scottish Witches murdered by renown  witch-pricker John Kincaid be looking for reparations from Kincaid's descendants?

You couldn't make this bollocks up!

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
So it appears that there aren't  more pressing and immediate problems for a first minister of a country to be concerned about when  the last Witch murdered in that part of Britain was over some 350 years ago. 
Either there are not more pressing issues like you say

OR

There are more pressing issues but taking 10 seconds out of your day to say "murder is bad" (apparently a controversial statement somehow) does nothing to detract from those other issues.

It is one of the two, certainly.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
I apologise on behalf of  Nicola Sturgeon, for Nicola Sturgeon being Nicola Sturgeon.

Ahhh...But to be fair, the wee isolationist is having a go.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit

Either there are not more pressing issues like you say

OR

There are more pressing issues but taking 10 seconds out of your day to say "murder is bad"..........................]
"murder is bad"!
You may have something there. First Minister Wee Krankie Sturgeon is pretty good at spending hours stating the bleedin' obvious.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4

Witches lives matter, Vic lad. The relief to those long dead witches must be overwhelming now that Wee Krankie had "pardoned them".
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
"murder is bad"!
You may have something there. 
I understand you find it a controversial statement. But anyway, yes, it seems there are no more pressing issues for Stephen than looking through newspaper articles for quotes of people saying things Stephen disagrees with.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
+1 disc

• I don't think its nonsense for the state to apologize for any wrongful execution, much less 4,000 wrongful executions. 
  • Also seems like smart politics considering  that Scottish feminists made this a cause on Int'l Women's Day two years ago and demanded
    • an apology
    • pardons for all (costs a little money)
    • a monument (costs a lot of money)
  • Seems like any politicians counting on the feminist vote should at least do the free thing that takes 30 seconds and then see if that assuages the feminist vote for another couple years.
    • Sure, the misogynists will bitch and moan on reflex but they were never going to vote for women candidates anyway.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Stephen
Do witches go to heaven?

Silly question.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
"murder is bad"!
You may have something there. First Minister Wee Krankie Sturgeon is pretty good at spending hours stating the bleedin' obvious.
I understand you find it a controversial statement.

Nope , I find it an utterly silly and pointless statement. 

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
What "more pressing matters" are you referencing, anyway?
FLRW
FLRW
From Christianity
to Witchcraft: A Spiritual
Journey
     by  LORRI SHANNON

When I was ready
to begin my spiritual journey anew, I started fresh. I opened myself to everything,
not just different denominations of Christianity. In reading, I stumbled
upon something called Wicca, an Earth-based nature religion that proclaims
itself to be the practice of modern day witchcraft.
Wicca is the fastest growing religion today. Followers of Wicca worship a
God as well as a Goddess. Its practitioners revere the Earth as an extension of the
Goddess herself and aspire to live in harmony with nature. Wiccans believe in
reincarnation, but not as the Hindus believe. Wiccans believe that humans come
back as humans.
Wiccans believe in magic. Chanting and meditation are used to achieve an
alternate state of consciousness to better commune with the Goddess and the
God. Spells are used in much the same way a prayer is, with one great difference:
whereas a prayer is most often a linguistic appeal to a higher power to grant a
request, in a spell the practitioner uses visualization to direct unseen energy to
achieve the desired effect.
There are eight holidays that make up what is called the Wheel of the Year,
and many customs from such holidays as Halloween, Christmas and Easter
actually come from the pagan holidays of Samhain, Yule and Ostara. These
holidays are often based on ancient harvest or fertility festivals celebrated in
Britain, when the people lived close to the land. Apart from the Wheel of the
Year are esbats, which are rituals that celebrate the different phases of the moon.
It was in learning about this Earth-based nature religion that I realized what
had been missing to me: anything feminine and positive. As a woman, I felt left
out of male-dominated Christianity, although I didn’t realize it at the time. I
simply didn’t feel completely satisfied, never understanding why.

FLRW
FLRW

You all don't think Poly is Lori Shannon, do you?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
Do witches go to heaven?

Silly question.

Well, Vic. Although Wee Krankie  appears to support  Witches Lives Matter, the bible has nothing but scorn for them so heaven appears to be out of bounds.

Galatians 5:20-21 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Exodus 22;18 - Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

That will be a no then.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
What "more pressing matters" are you referencing, anyway?

I shall answer this only once as this thread is concerned with Witches and a absolute pointless posthumous apology granted them by a First Minister of a country.

Of just one the many problems Wee Krankei has at the moment is the little problem of Trident that she has all of a sudden gone quite on. Well she would considering that a nuclear war may be on the horizon.

Can you tell me what this absolute pointless posthumous apology to Witches has actually served?
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Stephen
@zedvictor4
"Do witches go to heaven?" - zedvictor4

Which witch?

I'm doubtful that the modern witch, is what was meant by witchcraft, as in the Bible.
Though seeing on what a long span of time the Bible covers, I'm not even sure the 'Bible, is speaking of the same concept all the time,
Also the different words, and translations, historical contexts.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
Of just one the many problems Wee Krankei has at the moment is the little problem of Trident that she has all of a sudden gone quite on. Well she would considering that a nuclear war may be on the horizon.
Seems utterly silly and pointless for you to be distracted by some politician saying murder is bad when you have things like that which you should be focusing on.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Lemming
Which witch?
I think Wee Krankie used the plural.

I believe Wee Krankie was referring to Scottish witches of which there were some 2,500 murdered. I didn't know any of those 2,500 so  couldn't name them without looking up "Witches From 14th,15th, 16th,& 17th Centuries, and I won't be doing that anytime soon.

RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Stephen
As a fellow hater of the crime committed in the name of organised religions in the past, I'm surprised you're ok with the witch hunts.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
So you pressed me for an answer. I graciously answered and in return, you totally  ignored my question. Or did you miss it?

HERE YA GO: >>>Can you tell me what this absolute pointless posthumous apology to Witches has actually served?
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@FLRW
Poly isn't Wiccan, she's Heathen (a different type of pagan who also can go by 'witch') and also a follower/practitioner of Spiritism (Tarot readings, palm readings, crystal ball stuff etc)
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Stephen
Can you tell me what this absolutely pointless bitching about some politician taking the radical stance of being anti-murder has served?
Stephen
Stephen
@RM

I'm surprised you're ok with the witch hunts.

I'm not. I believe it was outright murder and complete savagery committed by Christians and the Christian Church against mainly women and misogyny at its worst. And this POINTLESS posthumous apology may have been better coming from the Christian Church leaders rather than some jumped up tyrannical Jock. For whatever good it may have served.

AND Stop responding to me while you have me on block you lonely cowardly sad fkr!
I won't ask you again.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Stephen
Well, I also just wonder what even a witch would be, or witchcraft,
How would one identify it?
Are we even sure the Bible 'says Witch on a Broomstick?

Is there a difference between pagan witches and witches of ancient times regions of the Bible?

More on topic though,
The apology 'does seem a bit odd, bit out of the blue,
But maybe there was something in the background, people writing letters asking for an apology, or something.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Lemming
The problem is is that witchcraft is a practice and it covers a variety of things. It also has ended up becoming a catch-all for practices that people can engage in that individually don't end up being witchcraft. Some of the practices that fall under the witchcraft umbrella and if you were to talk to a variety of witches you might find they engage in would be some type of herbal knowledge whether via folklore for spell work or actual herbalism for healing. Then their spell work which would involve putting ingredients together along with an incantation to put energy into something to get a result. Then there is ritual work which would have to do with putting out offerings for various Spirit beings whether it be the fae, your ancestors, some other type of spirit or deity. So if you were someone who engaged in herbalism but didn't do anything else you're not a witch. The problem is is a lot of women would go to herbalist for teas that induced abortion. Or you might be giving your money to someone who's doing herbal work or spell work instead of to the church. And of course necromancy would be any type of contact with spirit. So while it's hard to say whether or not those practices fell under the witchcraft umbrella then I think it's kind of safe to say they probably did. Cuz if you read through the article and other things come up those are items that most people today that practice witchcraft would say that's part of witchcraft. Of course if you do any type of herbal work you almost always know what kind of herbs will induce death because you don't want to use them. 
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
It's difficult to tell the context of something thousands of years ago,
Honestly even scripture more clear cut or explained, I read with my eyes a bit squinted sometimes.

Liking the Bible more myself, in 'my view of it as man made document,
No God, but perhaps Fables/Myth intentional in places, allegory,
History in others, poetry, philosophy, idealism,
Well, also bad stuff too, which is worthwhile in admitting flaws in humanity,
Hm, well, all this is partly why I'm no longer a Christian.

It 'is a pity though, circumstances in history,
Where people have been executed/murdered,
Whether by superficial understanding, madness misunderstanding, greed, envy, hate.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
Witches were either old women who lived alone or the stuff of tall tales.

And others used to make up tall tales about old women that lived alone.

And people who call themselves witches these days, also have a vivid imagination.

So throw another wing of bat and eye of newt into the cauldron ladies.

Vegetarian options are available.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
Just when you thought Nicola (wee cranky) Sturgeon  First Minister of Scotland couldn't get more stupid and creations, she offers this to Witches from days of yore.

"Today on International Women's Day, as first minister on behalf of the Scottish government, I am choosing to acknowledge that egregious historic injustice and extend a formal posthumous apology to all of those accused, convicted, vilified or executed under the Witchcraft Act of 1563."

Will it now follow that the ancestors of Scottish Witches murdered by renown  witch-pricker John Kincaid be looking for reparations from Kincaid's descendants?

You couldn't make this bollocks up!
While I hold no love for witches and I think in our century we have a false view of history and ACTUALLY  of what occurred back then. In other words, I think most of the history we talk about now is exaggerated and nonsense. 

Now the next is personal. I acknowledge this because I know Stephen you are creepy and a stalker.   And the fact that this particular topic gets up your nose and so distracts you from stalking me is in some ways a happy thing for me. Nevertheless, 

I have a "to do" list, like many others I am sure.  It contains all the things I need to do - in a day, week or month or life. Some of these matters are important and some less important. Some are urgent and some less urgent.   Yet on my list of 1000 things, I want all of them to be done. No matter how urgent and no matter how important.  At the top is the urgent and Very important. And down at the bottom are the less important and certainly not urgent,  Yet I want to get down to the bottom of the list at some stage.  

I imagine Nicola Sturgeon has a list. And on that list are important and urgent matters and some which are not so urgent. Nuclear War and Ukraine is pretty important. As was Brexit etc.  Yet - even in the midst of these important and urgent things - I suspect dear Nicola would like to get some other things done as well. 

So despite the fact that I wish she did not have this on her list - since it is very likely it has come about because of some dodgy history lessons, I don't take the view that she ought to wait until all of the important and urgent issues have been concluded. Since then very likely, it would never arise. (In my view that would not be a bad thing) yet for me - the ends don't justify the means.    

What I am saying to you is - the only one who is making bollacks up is you. 

Get over it dear boy. Suck it up. I can only imagine how you sleep at night. I fear for your wife, your children and your grandchildren.  

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Lemming
The apology 'does seem a bit odd, bit out of the blue,
But maybe there was something in the background, people writing letters asking for an apology, or something.

It appears that there was.

"The Witches of Scotland group has been petitioning Holyrood to pardon those convicted under the act, with QC Claire Mitchell saying it would correct as far as possible a "terrible miscarriage of justice".
SNP MSP Natalie Don was already planning a member's bill extending a formal pardon, and Ms Sturgeon noted that parliament may choose to legislate in due course". Nicola Sturgeon apologises to people accused of witchcraft - BBC News

Interesting that Wee Krankie Strugeon mentions  only women in her address. 

"A historian has criticised Nicola Sturgeon’s apology for “the deep misogyny” of Scotland’s witch-hunts by highlighting how men accounted for one in six executions.
The first minister said that individuals accused under the Witchcraft Act 1563 had suffered an “egregious” wrong, with many being killed “just because they were women”.

I suppose the one man in every witches six were  really witches then?

"Witches of Scotland is a campaign for justice; for a legal pardon,  an apology and national monument for the thousands of people – mostly women -  that were convicted of witchcraft and executed between 1563 and 1736 in Scotland".

It has gained  support by all accounts with a massive 1,104 supporters.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Tradesecret
What I am saying to you is - the only one who is making bollacks up is you

What have I made up?   Wee Krankie Sturgeon is is clearly on record apologising to Witches. 

Here you are

And this I probably the reason why she chose her moment to do so;

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
It would of been pretty handy back in the day to call someone a witch and have them killed. 

Lets say back in the day you stumble across a far better wife then the one you currently own. 
WITCH. 

EVERYBODY,  SHE IS A WITCH. 

Women would want to tread llightly.

i woukd  love  to know the stats on witches deaths into a troubled relationship.

Who wants to be cursed by a witch?   Not me. 
We need to quickly ummmmm, dispose of em. 

Killing witches screams.  Man " collectively " "ues" to be horrible. 
Buttttttttttttt 
Men invented it. 

Alos the stats for , how many  man were  killed for being a witches compared to women. 

BUT WHAT WOULD BE THE MOST INTERESTING THING IS. 

How easy was it to label someone a witch and have them deposed of. 
Do you just tell a certain person or a neighbor , a couple of bloke mates. 
So , i wonder
How easy was it to say someone was a " witch "   

IF people back then,  didn't ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL belive in Gods , they wouldn't  of believed in witches.  
Gods existing is dead on par with witches existing.   
Same Same.
Its only commen sense that gods dont exist.