Systemic racism debate

Author: thett3

Total: 23
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
I am interested in debating systemic racism, with the resolution being “Systemic Racism is the cause of the majority of the difference in life outcomes between white and black Americans” as con. Any takers? It would have to begin in about a week and wrap up rather quickly, probably using the old DDO rules of 3 days a round. Three rounds or four if it’s “first round is for acceptance” style 
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
I think that when right-wing people hear the term they apply a much harsher definition than the left-wing people who use it mean.

What systemic racism means, when most use it, is the very structural issues (not just some malicious judge or policeman) that cause severe inequality in life for blacks that we cannot deny had ancestors that left them 0 inheritance of any kind that has snowballed over time, however there of course is something else to it that I dub 'passive prejudice'.

Passive prejudice is the part of systemic racism that conservatives find the most issue with and that part is indeed meant by the progressives that advocate for combatting it. It starts as simple as avoiding hiring someone because if they're a certain ethnicity one estimates that automatically they're more likely to be a flight risk. It can be many things, not promoting, intentionally bargaining harder for salaries where it's based on negotiated contracts, strongly implying that a defendant that's a certain ethnicity that isn't the majority should avoid going through with a trial and take a deal (because of what the jury may think of their background) so on and so forth.

Systemic racism even applies to people already inside prison where perhaps the guilty verdict was just. The idea is that there was definitely until recently, a pattern of consistently reducing sentences for good behaviour and being lenient on parole for caucasians vs minority ethnicities (especially black ethnicities) in not just America but other nations which have black minorities present as well. 

Anything you'd argue would be about other elements of the systemic racism, you see the fact that they are poorer to begin with and have to spread that thin across their unaborted, unsustainable generation upon generation leading to the poor children and teens growing up to realise maybe crime is better for them than doing some very mediocre 9-5 as the apex of what's 'out there' for them. A lot of issues regarding systemic racism begin to get somewhat solved when you properly handle social welfare, offer free contraception to the poor (or insist shops keep it VAT-exempt and ensure malls keep the price of them decently low) because then there ends up more and more sustainability to the raising of the children.
thett3
thett3
-->
@RationalMadman
I think that stuff has some impact but I believe, and think I could prove, that it doesn’t account for anywhere near the *majority* of differences in life outcomes 
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
[RationalMadman] I think that when right-wing people hear the term they apply a much harsher definition than the left-wing people who use it mean.
You can bet your bottom dollar on that. You would need to have a debate on the definition first :/ Or people could brush off definitions as mere "semantics" and see how far they get understanding each other with different definitions.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Honestly, this is too broad. Not all parts of America are necessarily the same and whites in different parts of the country have drastically different average life outcomes.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@thett3
It could probably do with some metrics to be evaluated to decrease scope creep, and I would change it to main cause instead of majority cause.
Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
-->
@thett3
I'd be willing to take pro on this debate if I saw the debate rules. The definitions are way too important to accept a debate without knowing exactly what they are.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Nyxified
Thanks but I’m no longer interested. I thought about it more and it’s not worth the risk of getting cancelled.  

Bones
Debates: 29
Bones
-->
@thett3
Being worried about the possibility of getting cancelled on a debate website for sharing one's view is a great epitomisation of modern life. 

Although, from a personal perspective, you should definitely get into this debate - I would love to read it. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
Cancel culture is done far more by the right-wing to progressives and minorities, the difference is they do not list the real cancelling reason as the public reason for the firing and spreading a bad word about the person.

They tactically isolate, career-ceiling and much more to people who don't blend into their beliefs and office social norms.

If they cannot fire, they bully them until they quit. I know examples of it, they all get brushed under the rug.
thett3
thett3
-->
@Bones
I just want to push back on the constant blood libel against white people. Now that I have a child on the way it feels even more important that he isn’t blamed for being born the wrong skin color. But wokeness is the religion of the elites and I was incredibly foolish back on DDO with opsec. I should probably close this account and make a new one. It’s a shame because I do think the arguments laid out by Charles Murray in “Facing Reality” are not refutable 
thett3
thett3
-->
@RationalMadman
Well I would agree it certainly isn’t a “liberal” impulse as we would’ve thought of it even ten years. But you can’t be cancelled for expressing left with views that ~33%+ of people agree with like you can with right wing views. The censorship energy goes one way and one way only 
badger
badger
-->
@thett3
Now that I have a child on the way 
Holy shit dude, congrats lol.

Now that I have a child on the way it feels even more important that he isn’t blamed for being born the wrong skin color. 
Well maybe he'll still be born black. 
Terrible joke, sorry. Seriously, congrats. 

That's awesome, thett. 
badger
badger
I'm probably gonna be giggling all day at that joke, I'm not sorry. But I'm delighted for you, man. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
You've clearly never been to Russia or some very conservative place. That said, your lovely US and similar democracies have subtle, systematic cancel culture from the right-wing but again, it's often done by switch and bait with provoking the left to retaliate and then going 'you are the oppressors'.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
badger
badger
thett, I still imagine you as a boy hugging a duck. Crazy shit. 
Bones
Debates: 29
Bones
-->
@thett3
Congratulations on your child!

If the book that you cite looks good, I'll definitely get it - I'm interested in learning more about this topic (which is why I would have wanted to watch a debate between you and Nyxified). I'm definitely interested in looking into the literature over this topic.  
badger
badger
thett might have slapped me like Will Smith slapped Chris Rock. 
thett3
thett3
-->
@badger
thank you! First grand child on both sides so everyone freaked out when we told them lol 

thett, I still imagine you as a boy hugging a duck. Crazy shit.
Lol not a cool and masculine pirate?
badger
badger
-->
@thett3
Your politics is too soft, dude. Maybe with the kid on the way now you'll become warrior dad. 

You're gonna be a good dad, dude.
thett3
thett3
-->
@badger
Thank you for saying that, it warms my heart 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@thett3
The system is racist because the system is racist.

What more should we expect from a multi-racial system, where we base all our judgements upon what we perceive.

(The inevitability of sensory perception and internal data management.)

The best that we can offer in terms of output, is understanding and tolerance......Which we must firstly acquire.

Therefore, systems must evolve, and systems evolve very very slowly.

Quick fixes just harbour resentment.