We r slaves to society

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 17
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
Simply by existing in the USA, u r forced to work.  The only way to afford most necessities is by working forty hours a week. If a person is lucky they may live in a low cost of living area, and could possibly subsist part time.  But most part time jobs r lower pay, and u wouldn't have much to show for ur effort. 

How can ya not agree at least to a degree that we r slaves to society?

I gotta guess there's charity.  But that makes ur options, bein a slave or relying on hand outs
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@n8nrgmi
Well, even if you lived alone in the middle of nowhere, you'd still need to work for yourself,
Hunt, farm, make clothing, so on?
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Lemming
That's a good point... I guess my main complaint is that the standard of forty hours is too much.  Our technology is too advanced to require that much effort by everyone for what we get. A three day weekend would be a step in the right direction
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@n8nrgmi
I have difficulty understanding economics, so I'm unsure if our current system is the way it is out of greed, or prior design.
So,

But I'd 'suppose it'd be feasible for an individual or group, to design a society where work was negligible, comforts, and care, adequate.
Though not a utopia.
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@n8nrgmi

I don't know why poor people (net worth less  than $300 million) even want to live. The estimated net worth of Pastor Alph Lukau is $1 billion. He is considered one of the richest pastors in the world. Why is God a Capitalist?
Incel-chud
Incel-chud
My wife is literally fucking a homeless guy who survives fine and lives well and still manages to get pussy as a homeless guy. 

At first it disgusted me, then I realized he is truly free and it made me admire him a bit, and then I became disgusted again when I realized he has left two families he made before to have this freedom.

Needless to say, I am moving away from her on April 1st and I hope she has a great life, but it's unlikely as she is a low IQ whore who doesn't understand the concept of delayed gratification
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Incel-chud
That must be why she married you.
Incel-chud
Incel-chud
-->
@RationalMadman
she is a low IQ whore who doesn't understand the concept of delayed gratification
That must be why she married you.
Unironically, yes it is. So I guess, I reap what I sow.

When I told my therapist a few years ago, that I wanted a way out of the relationship and to be somebody who was my equal. The therapist said.

You won't be able to do that unless you get over this need to always have the upper hand in relationships.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@n8nrgmi
You could always set your own  hours and take on the responsibility of a small business loan. That way you can be a slave to a debt you created.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@n8nrgmi
It's the system.

We're all slaves to our own existence anyway.

And if you think about it realistically, life is actually a curse with an inevitable end.

I would suggest that the enslaving of the organic computer, is the will of creation, material evolution and the universe.....(GOD principle.....But not to be confused with a floaty about bloke of Middle Eastern origin).
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@n8nrgmi
They live, we sleep 
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Simply by existing in the USA, u r forced to work.
Not if you have a rich daddy.

But in seriousness, work does need to be done if society is to be maintained at its current comfort level. n8nrgmi comes around to this idea a bit in post 3 so the rest of what I say is directed more generally at addressing the topic itself rather than specifically at him.

It's nice to have shelter, but that requires someone to build it. The people building it rely on other people to produce the raw materials (stone, wood, brick, etc.). Both of those groups rely on other people to transport these raw materials.

If these groups of people were not working we would lack shelter. Survivable, but unpleasant.

It's nice to have ready supplies of food, but that requires someone to maintain the storehouses that we retrieve our food from. The people doing that rely on other people to produce the food in question, fisherman and farmers and so on. Both of those groups rely on other people to transport these raw materials.

If these groups of people were not working we would lack the easy food supply we have now. Survivable, but unpleasant.

It's nice to live in a sanitary environment, but that requires... you see where this is going. Sewer construction and maintenance, pest exterminators, raw materials, etc. Not to mention all the transporting being done up until now needing an infrastructure... Highways, ports, the list goes on.

If these groups were not working... you get the idea. Survivable, but unpleasant.

Living in modern society isn't a case of "do work or die". For all of the above to work requires people to make it work. By working. Working is, however, well... unpleasant. So if we want to avoid the other unpleasantness we as a population require as many people as possible to embrace the unpleasantness of work.

There are classes of people able to live in luxury without doing work. Rich CEOs, investors, televangelists, real estate tycoons, and so on. That is a flaw in the system certainly, and something that should be addressed if possible rather than ignored, but the point is that the flaw is not "work is required".
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
There are classes of people able to live in luxury without doing work
Pretty much everyone in DC doesn't work.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
All depends upon ones definition of work.

Despite media gloss.....The more that one has, the harder such a lifestyle is to maintain.

And material wealth doesn't necessarily breed contentment.

Though a lack of material wealth will breed jealousy if one allows it to.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@zedvictor4
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
And material wealth doesn't necessarily breed contentment.

Bingo Zed.... Ghandi...' there is enough on Earth for humanities need, but not humanities greed '.

Or as Tigers ex wife stated, having money makes life easier, but does not necessarily bring  happiness.

Pandemics and war are a crude way to minimize over-population and neither have worked to date.

Self regulation = voluntary moderation of proliferating humans, to maintain their needs and not their greeds.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Nice.