Regarding My Absence

Author: Nyxified

Total: 16
Nyxified
Debates: 21
Nyxified
Howdy, homies!

It's been about half a year since I logged onto this site. I apologize to all the opponents whom I forfeit my debates with; it was not respectful of my opponent's time/effort and I accepted the debate upon the assumption that I would see the debate through barring any extenuating circumstances. Nonetheless, I hope you all have been doing well since I've last talked to you all.

I left for a few reasons, but they all contributed to a simple fact: I was mad.

1. At the time I made the decision to leave, half of my debates were accepted by a brand new account that either immediately forfeit or presented an argument that was so self-evidently fallacious that it was insulting. I put a lot of effort into the debates I did, and to see that effort being awarded a metaphorical slap in the face made me not want to participate at all.
  2. I had 3-5 debates at the time I decided to leave that were in or had finished the voting process. 3 of those 5 were forfeits where I won by default. 1 of the 5 (the one regarding social media checks) had a single vote against me that seemed to me, at least at the time, like it made absolutely no sense. The last of the 5 (the one regarding FPTP voting) had 2 votes and was tied, and one of the votes also seemed to make no sense at all, seemed to flagrantly ignore all rebuttals I made, and seemed to just ignore the entire point of the resolution. I won't name names, and I'm also not trying to say they're an idiot or they were wrong or anything, I'm just saying that nobody likes to lose for what they perceive to be an unfair reason. This site does not have enough voters for the law of big numbers to apply, so a single voter making an unreasonable vote can sway a debate's vote, especially in situations where said voter is the only voter.
  3. I've had some very good debates on this site, but I have had some questionable ones as well. My first debate involved Wylted literally using slurs during his intro and then forfeiting after I spent a week crafting my first speech. Another one of my debates involved Fruit_Inspector presenting a single case where my arguments did not apply and trying to claim victory in a debate with a resolution I specifically said was a general resolution. In another one of my debates, and I won't specify which because I think they were being fully reasonable and I was just babyraging, constantly claimed I had  some logical flaw in my case that I either did not understand or simply felt didn't exist.
It was for all of these things combined that I decided the time I was investing in DART was not being respected. And I do want to emphasize that I was being a baby and I got mad that I wasn't winning or was not being given the treatment I believed I deserved. Even if I 'should' have won, it doesn't matter. I debate for fun, and it's not like the results count for anything other than a d*ck measuring contest. Even if the time I was putting into debates was being rewarded with forfeits or non-sequitur arguments, I should have just used it as practice and been proud of making a good case regardless of my opponents. That is the philosophy I will be following moving forward.

I might not be as active anymore since I'm very busy, but I'm glad to be back, and I hope you guys are glad I'm back as well! I hope this site continues to thrive well into the future, because, without it, I wouldn't be able to have fun, well-researched debates online as I have on here.

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Nyxified
Eh, though I speak without any deep knowledge of your experience,
I'd disagree with the
"being a baby" - Nyxified
It's irritating to be disrespected, even by a stranger, forfeiting or posting fallacious arguments.

And I'd agree,
"nobody likes to lose for what they perceive to be an unfair reason. This site does not have enough voters for the law of big numbers to apply," - Nyxified

I 'do think it's more positive, constructive, . . . well, 'maybe,
To turn one's cheek, be easygoing, have a more even temper, acceptance that it rains sometimes, or cars splash mud, time to time.

Though I 'still don't think one is wrong to take a break,
Or have self respect, and 'expect respect by others.

Though, it can be difficult to 'force people to give the 'appearance of respect, if one doesn't have the leverage.
Though some people only care for the appearance, others for respect in the heart,

Eh, soft, 'bit flexible approach works decently, I think,
Rambling, been up, bit long.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
I debate for fun, and it's not like the results count for anything other than a d*ck measuring contest.
I've always suspected that is a prevalent attitude on sites like this, sad to see it in writing though.
Nyxified
Nyxified
-->
@Lemming
I suppose I do sometimes expect too much of myself when it comes to turning the other cheek. Nonetheless, even if one could not describe my actions/feelings as immature, I would personally describe them as not characterizing the maturity I strive to embody.

I've missed you, Lemming. It's good to see your style of response once again.
Nyxified
Nyxified
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Debaters more than anybody wish to feel that they're right and their opponents are wrong. Even with the competitive spirit, however, I have found it to still be a very great avenue for improving ones logical/speaking skills and fostering objective discussion.

To win or lose a debate doesn't matter, it matters if you learned something or taught someone something, but unfortunately there's no metric for learning--only for winning and losing.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Nyxified
Well, something I like about forums, debates online,
Is that our words/arguments, 'apparent thoughts/values, remain,
Makes it easy to review oneself,
See changes in oneself, from then to now.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Nyxified
To win or lose a debate doesn't matter, it matters if you learned something or taught someone something, but unfortunately there's no metric for learning--only for winning and losing.
I agree with this more than the first statement I quoted. The metric is popular support, not only does it have nothing to do with learning it has nothing to do with whether an argument stood or fell (winning and losing). It's a crutch, perhaps worse, a misleading temptation.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
For most blokes between the ages of approximately 16 and 60, life is a "dick measuring contest".....It's the inevitability of male existence

From there on in, it's fingers crossed that it's  going to continue functioning reasonably well  as a waste outlet.....This is also the inevitability of male existence.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
Nyxified is a trans woman but yeah, she used the term.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Nyxified
I have felt that pain and understand it well. Things have not entirely improved yet but usually it is 2, not 1, now who vote per debate.
Nyxified
Nyxified
-->
@RationalMadman
I'm glad to hear that voting has improved somewhat since I left. I suppose that, on a site as small as this one, there are some elements that can only be as good as the community makes them.
Sum1hugme
Debates: 37
Sum1hugme
-->
@Nyxified
Welcome back. I was sorry to see our debate fizzle out into a forfeiture.
Incel-chud
Incel-chud
-->
@Nyxified
Be careful replying to adreamifliberty. He is a pedophile who is trying to attach himself with the LGBT movement
badger
badger
-->
@Incel-chud
He's definitely a paedophile. Wylted, you're a legend dude. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
What was the point of your comment?

I just liked the dick measuring analogy.

And so I responded.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Incel-chud
Which all falls under the umbrella of getting ones rocks off.

HLGBTTgTsW....And then there's Q.

Questions Questions Questions......Everything you've always wanted to know, but always been too afraid to ask.