Should a person be banned for harassment even if the person being “harassed” doesn’t feel like it?

Author: ILikePie5

Total: 85
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
According to the mods, they have a right to ban you if they think your harassing someone, even if the individual being harassed doesn’t feel like they’re being harassed.

Essentially mods can do whatever they want to because they think someone is harassing someone.

Welcome to Nazi Germany folks.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@ILikePie5
You tell me, this is precisely what happened to me with regards to Seldiora and Mikal except there I really didn't break rules at all. The mods on almost all websites are essentially a frat (or sorority, to remain gender-neutral), I learned how to stay on a neutral side to them instead of being a thorn in their side, it's how you last.

That said, it's never a smart move to compare things to Nazi Germany for the sake of hyperbole, it's tasteless. Wylted/Incel-Chud's threat to ADOL was also fascistic.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@RationalMadman
You tell me, this is precisely what happened to me with regards to Seldiora and Mikal except there I really didn't break rules at all.
I don’t think someone should be banned if the user being targeted doesn’t feel harassed or threatened. This is mod activism not restraint. And it is an utter disgrace.

I am sad that I’m just coming upon this.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Is harassment against the rules? The problem is is some people get banned for harassment and some people don't. Some people are allowed to be complete pricks to other people and nothing happens to them. Mods do what they want when they want they have favorites and that's just the way it is. All websites are like that. And the way this sites modded is part of the reason it doesn't grow. I found out that they gave somebody a warning for sexually harassing me that I didn't even say anything about but when I complain people were making comments about my children and pedophilia in the same post those posts were ignored. Then I was banned for responding to the post about my children. But nobody cares about that because it's me all of a sudden you're worried about the rules cuz someone you like was banned. Even you're insincere.
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@ILikePie5
 "I would also request anyone who is good at doing so, to work on doxxing him. This includes mods as well. Feel free to email me any information you find to <email address> . I will get ahold of police departments in his area to make sure he is being watched and does not have contact with children."

-Wylted/Incel-Chud

Do you honsetly think this isn't ban worthy? The dude encouraged doxxing of another user! I don't care if ADOL isn't offended (although I don't know why you still want someone on the site if they tried to doxx you), if Wylted gets away with it, he's going to keep doing it. Besides, I don't think Wylted cared whether or not ADOL was offended by it. His intent was to harm another user of feign doing so by trolling. Either way, it crosses the line.
Mharman
Mharman
I have had my issues with past bans of users (even past bans of Wylted), but not this one.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
But nobody cares about that because it's me all of a sudden you're worried about the rules cuz someone you like was banned. Even you're insincere.
That’s the way things work. If you were unjustly banned you should’ve brought it up to me. I don’t follow everyone.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Mharman
Do you honsetly think this isn't ban worthy?
If it’s ok for the mod’s to dox someone if they “think” someone may commit self harm, then why is this not ok? It’s not some absolute rule like the mods are acting like it is. If you think someone may harm children, are you just gonna shut tf up and let it happen or try to prevent it? It’s the same idea as self harm.

The dude encouraged doxxing of another user! I don't care if ADOL isn't offended (although I don't know why you still want someone on the site if they tried to doxx you), if Wylted gets away with it, he's going to keep doing it.
When have you seen Wylted ever do what he did. Even the mods admit what he did wasn’t based on malice of any kind. As a mandatory reporter of Title IX, if I see something, I say something. It’s not like Wylted was going to post it on the site for everyone to see. He was gonna give it to the police. This sets a precedent that if you think someone may commit a crime, you have to keep your mouth shut and let it happen.

Besides, I don't think Wylted cared whether or not ADOL was offended by it. His intent was to harm another user of feign doing so by trolling. Either way, it crosses the line.
But did ADOL care? Did he report it to the mods? Not that I know of. If someone doesn’t want help, then why do the mods have to be activists and ban them. That’s literally what dictators do. Feign “help”
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
@ILikePie5
@Mharman
[Polytheist-Witch] The problem is is some people get banned for harassment and some people don't.
Yes that is exactly the problem. If a tyrannical rule is enforced equally people are generally quick to unite and stop it. It is the unequal application of rules, or rules that only matter to minorities that lead to stable oppression.

That's true for forums, towns, counties, states, nations, and planets.

[Mharman] I don't care if ADOL isn't offended (although I don't know why you still want someone on the site if they tried to doxx you)
His attempts to doxx were doomed to fail, I was not concerned about that, I was and still am flabbergasted. We were PMing and although I think it's against the rules to release the transcript he said a lot of things which seemed off, sometimes oddly friendly in one instance and then denouncing. He seemed to have me confused with someone else he remembered. I don't think he's in a healthy state of mind. People on medications and off medications can behave very erratically.

If he genuinely believed his accusations you would think he would at least make some attempt to get a confession of something out of me before he made them publicly.

What I want in general (on a debate site) is to debate. He claimed he wanted people to confront me and address my beliefs but he himself did not do so publicly. I think the rules of a debate site should be designed to facilitate debate.

Doxing and all this talk of criminal behavior have no utility towards that end. Minimizing spam, including harassing spam, does. That isn't an easy thing to do objectively, one man's spam is another's perfect argument. As hard as it would be to implement, the principle would be "if you're trying to make an argument and the argument isn't an extraordinarily obvious fallacy, it's permitted no matter what."

So if someone wants to dox me and it's no real threat but they also are willing to debate I don't want them gone. I definitely don't want them to be forced out. However I am not the only interested party. I am probably the only member that has no realistic fear of being doxxed. What happens if he takes upon himself more investigations? Even the mere accusation sent to an employer can be an big mess to sort out.

[Mharman] The dude encouraged doxxing of another user! I don't care if ADOL isn't offended (although I don't know why you still want someone on the site if they tried to doxx you), if Wylted gets away with it, he's going to keep doing it.
[ILikePie5] When have you seen Wylted ever do what he did. Even the mods admit what he did wasn’t based on malice of any kind. As a mandatory reporter of Title IX, if I see something, I say something. It’s not like Wylted was going to post it on the site for everyone to see. He was gonna give it to the police. This sets a precedent that if you think someone may commit a crime, you have to keep your mouth shut and let it happen.
There are quite a few problems with this description. First "based on malice", you ever heard the saying "Most of the evil in this world is done by people with good intentions"?

Everybody is the good guy in their own opinion, it is such a universally true factor that to believe it has any relevance betrays a shallow understanding of ethics in human society/history.

I did a quick google of "Title IX" and I'm pretty sure that you would need a dangerous amount of drugs to think anything in that code created a duty for someone arguing on the internet to take onto themselves an investigation based on assumptions.

This hardly sets a precedent of keeping your mouth shut, you said "the police", did he get banned for talking to the police? No, he got banned for acting like the police. He had nothing. No evidence of crimes, no information to give, he couldn't even demonstrate the two essential claims that I was a pedophile or would ever seek sex with a minor. With tips like those the police don't need spam calls.

When have you seen Wylted ever do what he did
Well you just said "he did", so you know he just did it. What is the point of saying this? That he's not a repeat offender for doxxing so it's no big deal?

[Mharman] Besides, I don't think Wylted cared whether or not ADOL was offended by it. His intent was to harm another user of feign doing so by trolling. Either way, it crosses the line.
[ILikePie5] But did ADOL care? Did he report it to the mods? Not that I know of. If someone doesn’t want help, then why do the mods have to be activists and ban them. That’s literally what dictators do. Feign “help”
So you made all these threads based on a narrative you hadn't confirmed? You happen to be right in this case, I did not report the thread or ask for any help; but it sounds like you could easily have been wrong.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
So you made all these threads based on a narrative you hadn't confirmed? You happen to be right in this case, I did not report the thread or ask for any help; but it sounds like you could easily have been wrong.
The point of this was that the mods (primarily Ragnar, even though he’s not technically a mod) are power hungry and want to be activists, rather than follow the code and it’s natural intent

And I did confirm it with the mods (specifically WF). You never said anything, nor did they ask you.

There are quite a few problems with this description. First "based on malice", you ever heard the saying "Most of the evil in this world is done by people with good intentions"?
I’m just reiterating what the mods were saying. Objectively there was no malice. Subjectively you could argue either way. I’d argue that the code ought to be applied objectively.

I did a quick google of "Title IX" and I'm pretty sure that you would need a dangerous amount of drugs to think anything in that code created a duty for someone arguing on the internet to take onto themselves an investigation based on assumptions.
You misunderstand what it means to be a mandatory reporter. If I hear someone has been raped, even if it’s proven to be false, I have an obligation to report it. And that’s essentially what Wylted would be doing.

This hardly sets a precedent of keeping your mouth shut, you said "the police", did he get banned for talking to the police? No, he got banned for acting like the police.
Are you saying he should’ve called 911 and said I think ADOL is a pedophile? That’s more of spam.

He had nothing. No evidence of crimes, no information to give, he couldn't even demonstrate the two essential claims that I was a pedophile or would ever seek sex with a minor. With tips like those the police don't need spam calls.
You’d be surprised how many times “minor” tips have lead to large scale takedowns. You could be a pedophile. If you’re not, you have nothing to fear. If Wylted had the intention of posting your information on this site, or give it to the media, or to your boss, I would 100% support the ban. However, as a responsible, concerned citizen, he has a duty to do what he did, even if he’s wrong. If you see something, say something.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ILikePie5
I mean let's be honest as soon as the guy registered here RM did a post basically outing him as a someone who's into bestiality so if nothing happened to RM I'm not sure why something happened to Wylted. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I mean let's be honest as soon as the guy registered here RM did a post basically outing him as a someone who's into bestiality so if nothing happened to RM I'm not sure why something happened to Wylted. 
Cause apparently, having an opinion that someone is a pedophile based on their beliefs and posts is an “extravagant lie,” and nothing should be done about it.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Which rule did I break
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
@RM, the only rule that could possibly apply would be:

[CoC] Without their express permission, you may not post, threaten to post, nor encourage others to post, anyone’s private or identifying information no matter how it was obtained.
However my sexual orientation cannot be claimed to be private when I have publicly disclosed it before.

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
If we didn't allow freedom of speech, ADOL wouldn't be on the site. Doxxing=/=freedom of speech

ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@ILikePie5
And I did confirm it with the mods (specifically WF). You never said anything, nor did they ask you.
I see, then I retract my comment.

The point of this was that the mods (primarily Ragnar, even though he’s not technically a mod) are power hungry and want to be activists, rather than follow the code and it’s natural intent
You could argue "natural intent" till the cows come home. All you have objectively is the code as it is written and like many regulations and petty laws it's subjective terms wrapped in vague generalizations. It thus allows enormous leeway for arbitrary decisions. In other places such as the brainstorming thread and my introduction I've pointed out the absurdities a literal application of the CoC produces.

So they may be activists (you haven't shown they are) but you are going to have a hell of a time proving they aren't following the code. They could probably ban everyone who has posted in this thread right now based on the CoC.

I’d argue that the code ought to be applied objectively.
Best you can hope for with this CoC is for equally ignored implications.

You misunderstand what it means to be a mandatory reporter. If I hear someone has been raped, even if it’s proven to be false, I have an obligation to report it. And that’s essentially what Wylted would be doing.
I'll need a citation for that. All I'm finding is regulation related to college campuses. https://www.justice.gov/crt/fcs/TitleIX-SexDiscrimination Is this a college campus? No it is not.

No Wylted/incel-chud would not be reporting a rumor. He originated the claim. Does he have an obligation to report claims he's fabricated?

If you really believe you are legally required to report reports of rape (double report intended), then <sarcasm> I'm telling you that wylted raped Genghis Khan. Once you're done reporting that I got plenty more for you. Wylted is one sick time traveling rapist... I heard he kept an alien when he was in the guard. </sarcasm>

This hardly sets a precedent of keeping your mouth shut, you said "the police", did he get banned for talking to the police? No, he got banned for acting like the police.
Are you saying he should’ve called 911 and said I think ADOL is a pedophile? That’s more of spam.
No I'm definitely not saying he should have called the police with that. I'm saying that if he had something that could ever possibly be useful to the police in preventing a objectively immoral crime he should provide the police with that information. He should not call the police with delusions, baseless accusations, etc... He should also not make baseless accusations on forums.

He had nothing. No evidence of crimes, no information to give, he couldn't even demonstrate the two essential claims that I was a pedophile or would ever seek sex with a minor. With tips like those the police don't need spam calls.
You’d be surprised how many times “minor” tips have lead to large scale takedowns.
If the minor tips are baseless as Wylted's accusations were then it is by definition a coincidence if they lead to takedowns.

You could be a pedophile. If you’re not, you have nothing to fear.
What rock have you been living under? There is plenty to fear from baseless investigations. The investigation itself is used as evidence for defamation, sometimes the investigators plant evidence, sometimes people are so emotional that they convict you even when there is reasonable doubt.

I have nothing to fear because I'm anonymous. I would have an enormous amount to fear otherwise, my trust in the justice system and my fellow citizens when taboo sexual matters are at issue is 0/10.

If Wylted had the intention of posting your information on this site, or give it to the media, or to your boss, I would 100% support the ban. However, as a responsible, concerned citizen, he has a duty to do what he did, even if he’s wrong. If you see something, say something.
But he didn't see anything, he fabricated; and he said something in the public square not to any relevant authority because he knew they couldn't possibly do anything but laugh at his fiction.

He definitely broke the CoC by explicitly encouraging doxxing (using those words exactly). If you don't support the ban for that reason then you don't support the CoC which is fine by me but just so it's clear.

You may trust him with my information, but I don't. Would you trust me with your information? Right so maybe the doxxing rule does make a bit of sense, because the site is about debating and not trying to swat each other.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Vader
If we didn't allow freedom of speech, ADOL wouldn't be on the site. Doxxing=/=freedom of speech
The doxxing is a grey area and semantically you guys are wrong. But the other two “reasons” are absolutely ridiculous and you know it
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
At this point you’re derailing the thread. I could respond but I want to go back to the original topic of the discussion.

The third reason for Wylted’s ban is a grey area semantically, and the mods even admit that by talking about a loophole. The first two reasons are outright stupid though.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@ILikePie5
If you have actual evidence of something like pedophilia I see no moral complications with revealing what you can to the police. However, Wylted had no actual evidence. Just speculation at best. If ADOL reveals himself to be a pedo it is a moral duty to call the cops on him. Until then, all I will think of him is that he is a dirty zoophile weirdo.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Mharman
Well ADOL did say that "concern over physical harm and lack of consent are not sufficient reason to condemn sex with minors" so... yeah, he seems pretty openly pro-sex-with-minors. I don't see Wylted's use of the term "pedophile" as a shorthand for that as being too far off the mark grammatically speaking. The fact that Wylted didn't have a video of ADOL having sex with a kid seems pretty irrelevant to that point.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ILikePie5
Welcome to Nazi Germany folks.
I think I disagree with the ban (comes down to whether Wylted actually threatened to doxx, which idk if he did I haven't seen the post in question) but comparing a 0th world problem like not being allowed on a web site for a few months to Nazi Germany seems... a bit extreme...
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I think I disagree with the ban (comes down to whether Wylted actually threatened to doxx, which idk if he did I haven't seen the post in question) but comparing a 0th world problem like not being allowed on a web site for a few months to Nazi Germany seems... a bit extreme...
Just trying to figure out if it’s an “extravagant lie” or not. Whatever it means ofc
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ILikePie5
Well it's not Nazi Germany and saying it is is pretty extravagant to say so I guess you're technically right that it's an extravagant lie but I wasn't saying that, just pointing out that you were being needlessly over-dramatic. I guess the implication that I was calling you a liar was itself a lie, though that particular lie was hardly extravagant.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Well ADOL did say that "concern over physical harm and lack of consent are not sufficient reason to condemn sex with minors" so... yeah, he seems pretty openly pro-sex-with-minors.
That is not what I said. I said if there is consent, and there can be consent, that is not a reason for condemnation. I said if there is no physical harm, and there need not be physical harm, that is not a reason for condemnation.

That is not openly pro-sex-with-minors. Just because you can't think of a good reason besides those not to have sex with minors doesn't mean I can't; and my reasons happen to reflect reality as can be proven by argument and evidence.

You didn't continue this discussion with me, fine you don't have a duty to debate, but if you go around misrepresenting my position of course I'm going to correct you no matter which thread you do it in.

I don't see Wylted's use of the term "pedophile" as a shorthand for that as being too far off the mark grammatically speaking.
Nor does QAnon see the use of the term "pedophile" as shorthand for "democrat" to be too far off the mark but you're both mistaken to the point of libel.

The fact that Wylted didn't have a video of ADOL having sex with a kid seems pretty irrelevant to that point.
Or any evidence, or any sound or strong arguments towards that end at all.... It occurs to me that if you define pedophile as - anyone who disagrees with my exact reasons for a blanket condemnation of sex between an adult and a minor, that means to me you're a pedophile; right?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Just because you can't think of a good reason besides those not to have sex with minors doesn't mean I can't
Never said I couldn't. I can, but unlike you I would say those two alone are sufficient.

You didn't continue this discussion with me, fine you don't have a duty to debate
If you want to debate the resolution "Physical Harm and Lack of Consent are Sufficient Reasons to Condemn any Sexual Act" then send the challenge and I will accept it.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Just because you can't think of a good reason besides those not to have sex with minors doesn't mean I can't
Never said I couldn't. I can, but unlike you I would say those two alone are sufficient.
They're sufficient if they are present. If you think they must always be present you are incorrect.

You didn't continue this discussion with me, fine you don't have a duty to debate
If you want to debate the resolution "Physical Harm and Lack of Consent are Sufficient Reasons to Condemn any Sexual Act" then send the challenge and I will accept it.
I won't do debates with a scoring system. If you care about the the truth you don't need a popularity contest. You may resume in the thread in which you brought it up.

Furthermore that resolution is merely a repetition of your misrepresentation of my position. At no time did I say or imply that physical harm or lack of consent are insufficient reasons to condemn a (specific) sexual act for which there was physical harm or lack of consent.

I said that those are not sufficient reasons to condemn ALL sex between minors or between minors and adults because not all such acts require physical harm or lack of consent.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Well it's not Nazi Germany and saying it is is pretty extravagant to say so I guess you're technically right that it's an extravagant lie but I wasn't saying that, just pointing out that you were being needlessly over-dramatic. I guess the implication that I was calling you a liar was itself a lie, though that particular lie was hardly extravagant.
But apparently you can be banned for extravagant lies sooooo
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@ILikePie5
extravagant lies

Pretty sure that's not why he was... wait, is this that weird thing you and GP do where you start talking in weird pop-culture references unrelated to anything other people are saying like an angsty tween having a stroke?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Pretty sure that's not why he was... wait, is this that weird thing you and GP do where you start talking in weird pop-culture references unrelated to anything other people are saying like an angsty tween having a stroke?
It was mentioned as a reason, along with creating a call out thread.

I’m just trying to figure out whether saying that is an extravagant lie
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Furthermore that resolution is merely a repetition of your misrepresentation of my position. At no time did I say or imply that physical harm or lack of consent are insufficient reasons to condemn a (specific) sexual act for which there was physical harm or lack of consent.

I said that those are not sufficient reasons to condemn ALL sex between minors or between minors and adults because not all such acts require physical harm or lack of consent.
Yes they do.