Experience and Testimony is Evidence, Reid's Principle of Credulity applied to god(s) existence

Author: TheMorningsStar

Total: 64
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Yep for sure....Sundried tortoises are an external assumption.

And one doubts the efficacy of the crispy crunchy outer coating.

Better to evolve and absorb nutrients.

7 days later

Amoranemix
Debates: 0
Amoranemix
-->
@secularmerlin
@Polytheist-Witch
@TheMorningsStar
[19] That is not a feature, but a limitation, one that is easy to overlook.
[20] First, it is the side making a claim that has the burden of proof.[a] If someone makes a seemingly extraordinary claim, then it can simply be dismissed as extraordinary, no explanation required. However, if they added decent evidence, then the claim shouldn't be just dismissed as extraordinary. (Of course, personal experience usually doesn't qualify as decent evidence.) Then indeed would need to be explained why the claim is extraordinary.

How would you view or address someone's claim to have been abducted by aliens ? [b]
[19] Semantic word games that ignores what the phrase "it's a feature not a bug" means. Pointless comments like this are pointless.
[a] Okay, and? The argument outlines that people claiming to have witnessed something is evidence that satisfies said burden.[27] Discourse is like a balance scale. One side puts forward an argument/evidence and the balance shifts, even if not by much. Sure, one side might have the burden, but as soon as they provide something and that balance shifts it means that their side is now more likely.[28] They can further support their arguments, shifting the balance more in their favor, but that is ultimately unnecessary. If the other side wishes to be the correct/rational side then they need to shift the balance back (either by adding weight to their own side, provide arguments/evidence, or removing weight from the other side, show the arguments/evidence of the other side are faulty).

So, making the who "the side making a claim has the burden" is an absolutely pointless statement in light of me providing an argument. [29]

[b] I would point out various reasons why such is unlikely to be true.
[19] First that is not a word game.
Second, I have looked up the meaning of ‘a feature, not a bug’ and it means what I thought it does. Hence, my rebuttal was pertinent.
Your rebuttal however was not pointless. It served to distract from your failure to make a pertinent rebuttal.
[27] So what? A lunatic can present an argument outlining the most preposterous nonsense. That does not imply we should take the conclusion of that argument seriously. If you had bothered to read my posts entirely, you would have noticed I pointed out some problems with your argument, most importantly that it is invalid.
[28] The problem is that you are trying to sell that claims are evidence. Sometimes they are, sometimes not.
I am rarely confronted with someone giving me a personal miraculous experience as evidence for their deity. Also, when theists do present testimonies as evidence for miracles, I don’t see skeptis dismiss them out of hand or ask the claimant to prove those observations were real.
Yes, testimonies usually are evidence and we don’t need Reid’s argument to know that.
[29] That is a non-sequitur.
[b] Are these reasons counter-evidence ? If so, like what ?

That is something you need to demonstrate though. Your P1 needs justification, and I find that people rarely can justify that premise when dealing with a non-Abrahamic conception of god(s). Swinburne also argues that said P1 would never be able to be justified with god, but I don't really agree with him on that one.
Gods one expects no evidence of[*] tend to be unimportant. Gods that do not impact the world, do not interact with people, are irrelevant. There may be a god in a galaxy far, far away, minding his own business. Why would anyone care, let alone argue about it ?
[*] What type of evidence do you expect though?[30] How do you rationally back up your "if X, then evidence of X"?[31] How do you know there isn't evidence that you are just unaware of?[32]
Honestly, a proper modus tollens argues that if X then Y and then shows that there isn't Y as a matter of fact, not just that you don't see evidence of Y. [33]

For example, if there is a bottle of water on the table next to me then I should be able to see it, I should knock it down if I clear the table off, etc. These are specific, clearly tied to the nature of a bottle of water on the table, etc. You cannot just go all vague with a modus tollens.
[30] I don’t expect any evidence of gods I expect no evidence of. For other gods that would depend on the god.
[31] That would depend on X.
[32] Do I know there is no evidence that I am just unaware of ?
[33] No, that is not what modus tollens says. It says that if there is no Y, then there no X either.

I was on topic if you don't like being called out on your bigotry don't post it. [34]

And neither the person you address there is a Christian dummy, reinforce your bigotry again. [35]
[34] You are mistaken. If you read the OP, you will discover it is NOT
– about bigot atheists claiming theists are out deceive everyone, nor about your feelings or characterizations about such eventuality,
– about whether you witness and why you do not witness,
– about whether you are trying to deceive people.
Yet that is what you chose to talk about, while you failed to address this thread's topic. Your whole post 33 is a red herring.
[35] Translated to proper English that would probably be good advice. I suggest you follow it.

The burden of proof is ALWAYS on the claimant.
The burden of proof is always on the side with the least evidence.[36] Sure, we might say that absent any evidence that the claimant has the BoP,[37] but the moment only one side has provided evidence is the moment that that side has become the rational conclusion and thus the other side needs to make an argument if they wish to disagree.[38]

It is like a balance scale, put weight on one side and the scales tilt.

What the argument in the OP outlines is that anecdotal evidence is sufficient enough to create that tilt and thus shift the BoP.
[36] You are mistaken. Read about burden of proof here : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_proof
[37] The claim itself is not the evidence. If the claimant provides evidence, then the burden of proof may shift.
[38] A counter-argument is not necessarily required. Challenginig the evidence may be sufficient. For example.
P. There are no trees with green leaves.
C. Therefore Donald Trump was the best president ever.

When faced with that kind of evidence, doubters are not required to present an counter-argument. Challenging the evidence is sufficient.

TheMorningsStar 39 to secularmerlin :
Can you elaborate?
Certainly.

You could present me with any given peice of evidence and I will either be convinced by it or not. I cannot choose to be convinced when I am not and I cannot choose to be unconvinced when I am.

If you present me with one hundred pieces of evidence and none are sufficient to convince me then I will have no choice but to remain unconvinced.[39]

I do not need to meet any burden of proof to remain unconvinced.

If the options are A or B I don't need to choose B in order to he unconvinced that you are correct in thinking that the answer is A.
[39] Even though each piece may be insufficient, the accumalation of evidence may be convincing, like building a wall of evidence in court.

Please detail how you would convince me of each proposition and I will tell you if I am convinced. 
1. I do not choose whether or not you have convincing evidence you either do or do not.
2. I do not need to meet any burden of proof to remain unconvinced by your claim.
Again, convincing is not the same thing as making a rational case. You can be convinced of whatever you want, what matters to me is what is rational and likely.
You hide it well.

Soft solipsism is not something that you can resolve.
Which axioms one makes use of is, however, important. Which view requires more axioms? Which view requires more wild/complex axioms? etc. Are your views consistent when holding to your set of axioms? All of these determine which viewpoint is preferred, and I am skeptical that your set of axioms leads you to consistent standards if you are rejecting P1, P2, or P3 from my OP. Maybe you have an extra axiom that makes it so that the argument still doesn't work somehow, but then it would be a question on what said axiom is and if it is a necessary or justifiable one to hold to.
Invalid arguments don't require extra axioms for not working.

amandragon01
amandragon01
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I agree with this. I have never and would never argue against the position that a person believes in a god or gods. Nor would I argue against the position that they believe they know that god or gods.

I would never argue against the claim that someone was in love, or that they felt someone was in love with them. I would say I've known the latter to be incorrect on several occasions.

If the discussion was if someone's wife existed however, I might want more evidence. 

107 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@TheMorningsStar

Experience and Testimony is Evidence, Reid's Principle of Credulity applied to god(s) existence

CONCLUSION
With this argument it ends up with the atheist or agnostic needing to now provide justification for their position in the debate. Counter-evidence needs to be provided or else theism is rationally concluded as true (tentatively). Not only must counter-evidence be provided, but they also must defend against arguments that it is not, in fact, counter-evidence. That is the strength of this argument, it makes it so no longer is the theist playing defense but the atheist and agnostic is.

I know this argument will be unconvincing to most people, but it is important to remember that an argument can both be sound and also be unconvincing. We are not purely rational beings after all.
People who claim to experience Gods existence are often found to be suffering from mental illness.
Paul's physical state at the time of his conversion is discussed and related to theseecstatic experiences. It is postulated that both were manifestations of temporal lobe epilepsy. (Luke 1:21-23, 62-65) and concussion (Acts 20:9-12).

Jesus’s family declared Jesus a madman.
Mark 3:21 When his family heard about this, they went to take charge of him, for they said, “He is out of his mind.”

People who claim to be chosen by God also experience the devil.
Matthew 4:1-11. At that time Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. He fasted for forty days and forty nights and ...

So theists are challenged by both the existence of God and the Devil. Whereas atheists are free of these neurotic symptoms.