Should public school be banned?

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 129
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
Pro: Why should I be forced to pay for somebody else's kids?
Con: It is needed to prevent kids from ending up on welfare.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
If you want to live in a town with a bunch of illiterate heathens that's on you I don't mind paying for kids to at least get some basic education.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
Funding to public schools should be banned and reallocated to the parents of children.
RationalMadman
Debates: 569
RationalMadman
Funding to public schools should be banned and reallocated to the parents of children.
The genuine reason this is suboptimal is because of bad parents.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
If you want to live in a town with a bunch of illiterate heathens that's on you I don't mind paying for kids to at least get some basic education.
That doesn't happen if the kids get homeschooled or go to private school.

If you can't afford to educate your kid, don't have kids.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
What if the kids end up on welfare due to lack of education?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
call CPS
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
Too late; the kids are adults at that point if they have to live off the government (and adults are harder to educate than kids).
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheUnderdog
nah fam. parents that don't educate their kids can have CPS called on them at any time, not just 18 years later.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheUnderdog
Oh honey I've interact with kids that have been home school trust me they're illiterate heathens too. Every now and then you get a jam that knows what they're doing but that is few and far between.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
yes. All education should be in the hands of the Church.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Dr.Franklin
You are probably the most anti-American person that posts here. You should seriously become a monk and go live in a monastery where you can be happy.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
@TheUnderdog
Oh honey I've interact with kids that have been home school trust me they're illiterate heathens too. Every now and then you get a jam that knows what they're doing but that is few and far between.
Well at least they were cheaply educated illiterate heathens.

There is definitely quite a lot wrong with education in the USA. It costs way more than it should and the results are worse every year. Private school pricing is out of control because of government mandated credit and grants.

Whenever a privilege is considered a right bad things start happening. Food, housing, education, healthcare; always.

I don't think that nothing should be public sector, but no funding should be disconnected from results. Firefighters who start fires should not be paid. Public schools that take dumb kids and turn them into dangerously deluded and possibly gang affiliated dumb kids should not be paid.

Government stealing money and then using it to pay for people's X also does not work. There is a market structure around it, but it's hardly free; it's more like a bunch of parasites suckling at the teat. It creates a vicious cycle. X is hard to get so government starts paying for it, which increases the demand (in the macroeconomic sense) which increases the price which makes it harder to get which makes government pay for more etc.. etc...

Public help must behave like a normal consumer or it will never work. That is it needs to look at the value before buying and shop around.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Greyparrot
How would the parents get reported?  Nobody knows if their kid is being educated until it's too late when they are in the job market.
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@TheUnderdog
Con: because somebody else's kids can and will effect and you the rest of society. It is better for all involved if we invest in a future where those making decisions for society have cultivated minds.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@SkepticalOne
That's what homeschooling is for; every kid learns by homeschooling, they get better results than public school and it's cheaper for the taxpayer.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheUnderdog
Homeschooling does not always produce better results.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@TheUnderdog
Homeschooling is an option, but not suitable for everyone. After all, some families do not have the luxury of abandoning their jobs, some people are not capable of teaching, and some at home curriculum is inadequate. On top of all this, homeschooling should have oversight (homeschooling is not always better) to address possible deficiencies and that would necessarily require you to pay for other people's kids.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
CON: Rich get richer and poorer get poorer
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@SkepticalOne
Con: because somebody else's kids can and will effect and you the rest of society. It is better for all involved if we invest in a future where those making decisions for society have cultivated minds.
ConCon: Society would be better off with organic education rather than an assembly line style education that produces obedient factory workers and obedient voters.

Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@TheUnderdog
Con: It is needed to prevent kids from ending up on welfare.
I wouldn't necessarily suggest that public schools be "banned"; I would argue that their administration and financing require revolution. As it stands, I'd recommend parents not send their children to public schools less they intend their children to be indoctrinated and overly-sexualized.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@SkepticalOne
 On top of all this, homeschooling should have oversight (homeschooling is not always better) to address possible deficiencies and that would necessarily require you to pay for other people's kids.
How?  If strangers have kids, they alone bear the responsibility of homeschooling them.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Vader
I thought you were a libertarian that had no problem with low taxes on the rich and therefore, education cuts.  What happened?  :)
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Athias
I wouldn't necessarily suggest that public schools be "banned"; I would argue that their administration and financing require revolution. As it stands, I'd recommend parents not send their children to public schools less they intend their children to be indoctrinated and overly-sexualized.
This. The product of today's public schooling is of a minimal benefit to society.

The fastest way to implement this change is to have all parents make a choice. Not just the rich parents.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
Regardless of the recent political stuff I think it's obvious that the system in America at least is really showing its age and needs some changes. Even at good schools the system serves mostly as a place to get the kids out of the house all day and get them socialized with other kids. School is a very weird social system that's never again replicated, I'm not convinced that spending 12 years straight with people who are all your age and your age alone competing for the attention of and obeying the instructions of a single authority figure is good preparation for life. I haven't experienced that social model before or since, when I joined the workforce my coworkers ranged from early 20s to late 70s. And nowadays with attention spans being what they are lots of kids, boys especially, have to be medicated in order to get along with the "sit down and shut up for 8 hours" model. No disrespect to elementary school teachers, but you're not teaching anything that's more important than a child not being medicated every day. 

On top of all of that, kids come out of high school and they can't get a decent job. Twelve years of schooling and they walk out without any marketable skills! Where is the sense in that?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@thett3
That's because nine times out of ten the goal isn't for them to get a job it's for them to go to college. The kids in the vocational programs usually end up in a job while they're still in school and have jobs when they graduate. I'll agree the model doesn't work and it certainly doesn't work across broad communities need to be able to adapt their programs to their students and their area. The problem is is once you get Federal money is involved the school system does what it can to get the most federal money instead of really educating the kids the best way possible. The problem with schools is we've allowed it to come a business like every other government agency. I do not think the alternative is to let everybody home school their children. 
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
How am I anti-American when most Americans before 1960 would have universally agreed with me. So for 75% of American history, most Americans would have agreed with me. You silly.
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Dr.Franklin
All education was most certainly not in the hands of the church before 1960. In fact Dr Franklin educated himself. What is breaking from the American tradition is non-voluntary schooling. I think that's a failed experiment.

Sure kids may need a push, but if they're consistently uninterested; barely scraping by, and grow more and more resentful with each year that's not education that's torture and they will act like someone whose been tortured by society.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@TheUnderdog
How?  If strangers have kids, they alone bear the responsibility of homeschooling them.

And that brings us back to "because somebody else's kids can and will effect and you the rest of society. It is better for all involved if we invest in a future where those making decisions for society have cultivated minds."
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Greyparrot
ConCon: Society would be better off with organic education rather than an assembly line style education that produces obedient factory workers and obedient voters.

Define organic education and explain how our current system produces obedient factory workers and voters.