Author: secularmerlin

Total: 185
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Well researched.

Not sure which post your refering to but thanks Zed. I do try to put out the effort, and make the time to do so. I work regular  40 hrs a week and for a short two or so months, I had to move out of RV back into the older house/shack, and,

all of my days off were long 4 days tearing off and putting on a new roof over bedroom,

tearing off skirying and digging out 12 wheel barrow of dirt from under my bathroom so i could see why bathtub is leaning to one side, and if it was about fall through the floor, then jacking and supporting it,

then back to 25' RV to get off blocks and all dissconnected and removal of the rabbit wire and 2x4 structure I built to protect roof from falling branches, finally sold for $2000. ---what I paid 2 years ago--, and now saving on not having electric bill for the meter YAY!,

so still have to do more construction under laundry that has rotting band board and bottom plates,

and doubt if I will ever get to the sloping living room floor where the joist are near or sitting on ground in some places.

Then I thought I might have aquried tetanus ---lot of anxiety there--- and got an ten year ovedue vaccine for it,

and in middle of working under house, an ambulance arrives three seperate times to take my wife --shes in the new house in front--- to the E.R for dehyedration, then her asthma, and then her high blood pressure. My body, mind have been way overworked and stressed out.  Yesterday was on 2nd day off where I felt there was not anything I really needed to do, so YAY!  

Its all good except when its bad. Yes?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
As I always say.

Gotta be somewhere doing something.

When I was younger I also used to work from dawn to dusk most days, doing similar stuff, day job/s and everything else required of a father of two. 

And still find time and energy to fit in either MTB or road cycling.

I'm modernising my current property, but much more slowly this time. Mostly cosmetic changes and interior alterations.

Cottage also needs re-slating, but I will get a contractor in to do that. Don't have the time or energy for big jobs like that now.

Road cycling still very important for mind and body though.

And not forgetting the wonderfully supportive Mrs Zed.

Keep up the good work ebuc.

We will get there in the end.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
Road cycling still very important for mind and body though.
I have three friends who like to do that. Never own  bike since childhood, then thought I would try it out, so bought $69. bike at walmart --this is some 15 years or more ago---,  and I rode it to nearby store, and I was so use to walking, that I walked home and forgot it for three days, duhh, so drive over there and of course its long gone. 

So not a bicylist type nor jogger type --if when I was younger---, but always been a walker.

..." Elizabeth Plank at Mic took to the bike paths of New York City to investigate the “huge and under-reported” gender gap in, of all things, bicycle-riding. Turns out way more men ride bikes than women: “In the U.S., 1 woman for every 3 men gets around on a bicycle,” Plank writes. “In London, 77% of bike trips are taken by men and only 5% of women identify as frequent cyclists.”

.....This is a gender gap that actually surprised me.".....
ebuc
ebuc
...." By analyzing the MRIs of 949 people aged 8 to 22, scientists at the University of Pennsylvania found that male brains have more connections within each hemisphere, while female brains are more interconnected between hemispheres. "...

.....After grouping the image by sex and inspecting the differences between the two aggregate “male” and “female” pictures, the researchers found that in men, fiber pathways run back and forth within each hemisphere, while in women they tend to zig-zag between the left, or “logical,” and right, or “creative,” sides of the brain.

......Because female brains seem to have a stronger connections between their logical and intuitive parts, “when women are asked to do particularly hard tasks, they might engage very different parts of the brain,” said Ragini Verma, an associate professor of radiology at the University of Pennsylvania and one of the authors of the report. “Men might over-engage just one part of the brain.”...

So recall in 30's 40's when women were called broads, well was it because they were more broad minded? Ha Ha.  Will have to research that slang for women.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Interestingly in the club I ride with, though the gender mix is probably as you stated, the younger newer members are all female. Very few younger males take up the sport. It seems to be something that 30+ males get in to. I would say that the average age of the male club rider is probably 40/45. Whereas the average age of the female club rider is probably 25/30.

We do have a youth section, mostly MTB, where the mix is pretty even. Though one tends to find that a lot lose interest in their late teens. Other things on their minds and other demands upon their time. Even amateur riding demands a considerable amount of commitment and effort.

Walking good also, but like running is harder on the legs as you get older.