Student Debt Cancellation

Author: thett3

Total: 33
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@bmdrocks21
I support making each country pay their fair share if they are going to take part in a military alliance.
What would you call the, "fair share"?

You'll also increase your need for defense spending.
No we won't.

Just check out Europe's new Muslim terrorist problem. They didn't have to worry about beheadings a few decades ago.
Extremely rare events aren't the need to spend bureaucratic waste on the military.

Do you think it is tyrannical to keep homeless people from coming into your house?
No, but if an undocumented immigrant rents out a house from a consenting landlord who sees it as a business opportunity , why should I care?  Open borders is not the same as welcoming random people into your house.  Nobody is being forced to take care of the undocumented even if America opened the borders.  All that open borders means is an undocumented immigrant can rent out a house or apartment building from a consenting landlord free from government interference and without the fear of being deported.

A lot of people join the military to be able to afford advanced degrees. There aren't that many good paying jobs without a specialized degree.
This is incorrect.  Many jobs pay very well and don't require a college degree.  A college degree helps, but it is not a requirement for many jobs.

So our only defense will be threatening to nuke people?  Hate to break it to you, but nukes aren't the best at everything.
It's worked with Russia.  They have nukes, a GDP smaller than Texas and no country wants to invade them because they are worried about nuclear retaliation.
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@thett3
I pretty much agree with everything you said. The other thing about cancelling student loan debt, what happens then? Do we continue giving out student loans and expecting the next generation to pay them off after giving this one a free pass? And do we not think giving a pass or even talking about it is driving many in debt to hold off on paying them back hoping they won't have to?

The whole system makes no sense, but this is the result of years of terrible policy. As left wing as I am I do often find it remarkable how little thought seems to be given to the unintended consequences of many noble efforts. How did no one realize that opening the door to large swathes of the population to go to college would not send college costs skyrocketing?

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Double_R
Yes it’s obvious by now that the cost of college will quickly rise to swallow up whatever amount of money is available. Relief right now helps current borrowers but doesn’t help the problem. At this point the government probably needs to get involved in some way to force universities to lower costs