I'm not religious and I'm not an atheist either

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 40
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
My math major has showed me some signs of a higher power like the following:

1) sin(x)=x-(x^3/3!)+(x^5/5!)-(x^7/7!)+(x^9/9!) ...
2) cos(x)=1-(x^2/2!)+(x^4/4!)-(x^6/6!)+(x^8/8!) ... 
3) 4(1-(1/3)+(1/5)-(1/7)+(1/9)-(1/11)+)... = pi.
There's more, but I don't think this could all be by chance.

But when I converted to Christianity, their god initially told me to call him, "God".  I did this and I got my prayers answered.  Then he switched to, "Jehovah"(Jehovah's witnesses believe the exact same thing as standard Christianity except they call their God a different name(Jehovah)).  That worked for a little bit, but then he insisted on changing his name again.

This led me to believe that religion is in my head.

So if I'm not religious nor atheist, there needs to be an alternate source of the universe's existence.

This leads me to be a simulationist.  I think we are living on a planet that's in a universe that's in a computer simulation run by aliens and they sent math as proof of their existence.  They invented all these religions as an experiment to see what would happen if they gave humanity many different religions.  There are probably universes where there is only 1 religion and the aliens are collecting the data they are interested in.  The aliens are curious so they experiment on us by presenting stimuli and seeing how we react to this.  They are not all loving nor all powerful, they are just curious to see what happens when certain stimuli is produced .
RationalMadman
Debates: 569
RationalMadman
I agree with simulation theory. Not sure how it was trigonometry that got you there though.
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

OMG,  do you think TheUnderdog is really Elon Musk?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@FLRW
I plead the fifth.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Yes it's all a program run by an invisible computer that had no creator that makes complete sense compared to religion. And I think simulation theory should be in philosophy not religion.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheUnderdog
Math describes what is. I am therefore completely unsurprised by how well it does just that.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@TheUnderdog
Thunderdog.

Yep...I agree in principle.

Though atheist is really just the antithesis of theist......Floaty about Goddist or not, as it were.....

We also don't really fall under the agnostic umbrella either.

Simulation for sure, but who or what is the projector.....We're sort of back to a form of Goddism with that one.

I'm sort of a:
NOIDEABUTWITHAPENCHANTFORACREATIONEVENTANDAPOSSIBLYPURPOSEFULSUBSEQENTEVOLUTIONARYPROCESSWHICHMIGHTEVENTUALLYRESULTINA
UNIVERSALCOLLAPSEANDRECREATIONEVENTist.

A Nist for short, perhaps.

So I put forward Nism as an alternative suggestion.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@zedvictor4
Simulation for sure, but who or what is the projector.....We're sort of back to a form of Goddism with that one.
I don't think it goes back to goddism. Why does it have to be a "who" vs. it just being a platform where everything happens? It's kinda like infinite movies. Our DVD is called humanity. Maybe the "who" is just an xbox, right?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@TheUnderdog
From what what i remember cos and sin are part of algebra and trigonometry. I assume the history of mathematical geometry and how certain shapes became prominent is pretty interesting. How old is the concept of certain shapes? Trigonometry goes back to Ancient Egypt I think, unsurprisingly. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Outplayz
So where did the "xbox" come from?

Trouble is, all hypotheses rely on something from nothing. 

And "simulation" has implications beyond just an eternal possibility.

A simulation is a representation of something......Either the representation of a reality or the representation of a hypothesis.

Is it more likely that a simulator and a simulated universal scenario just happened to pop out of nowhere?

And of course, what is being simulated?
GnosticChristianBishop
GnosticChristianBishop
-->
@TheUnderdog
"I'm not religious and I'm not an atheist either"

You are your own guide and master. Rather Gnostic that.

Gnostic Christians think that if we are in a simulation, the proof of it would be the same proof needed to confirm the God over God ideas, that are ancient, --- and refute a matrix systems, --- as those end in  a fractal set of realities.

Regards
DL
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Even atheists are at the point they don't want to be associated with other atheists they have to come up with a faith-based idea of how the universe works.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I found out Stalin was an atheist, that’s why I believe in a god now. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Reece101
If that makes you feel better.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
I personally, will associate with anyone that cares to associate with me.

The notion of Atheism is a transient notion, that doesn't in any way affect my day to day existence, or how I interact socially with others.

Conservallectual
Debates: 27
Conservallectual
Then you're either an agnostic or a deist.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Reece101
There are good and bad religious and atheist people.

Stalin was a bad atheist.  Hitler was a bad Christain.  Bill Gates is a decent atheist.  MLK was a decent Christian.

Your religion has little correlation on whether or not your a good person.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Personally, I don't think Hitler was a Christian, from what I've read about him.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
Hitler said, "By killing the Jews, I am only doing the Lord's work".  No atheist says this.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
I'd agree he made public statements where he spoke with purpose of winning over theists,
But I don't agree that makes him a theist.

If one reads about his private conversations and actions, one sees a very different individual.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheUnderdog
Bill Gates is a piece of human garbage. He's a thief and he's been responsible for people's deaths. And he is in more one occasion said that basically poor people are like cattle consuming the goods that the rich should be entitled to.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
If one reads about his private conversations and actions, one sees a very different individual.
Do you have any examples?  And if they are private conversations, how were we able to record them?

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
The left loves Bill Gates for helping the poor, so I don't know why you have a grudge against every billionaire when their businesses contributed significantly to society.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
I 'could find some examples, but I don't feel like skimming through books I own at this time.
Individual accounts of conversations and statements by Hitler exist in interviews, public statements, journals.

"The dogma of Christianity gets worn away before the advances of science ... Gradually the myths crumble. All that is left to prove that nature there is no frontier between the organic and inorganic. When understanding of the universe has become widespread, when the majority of men know that the stars are not sources of light, but worlds, perhaps inhabited worlds like ours, then the Christian doctrine will be convicted of absurdity."

Still, Hitler said a lot of things, was literally insane by the end of the war, I'd say, and even before that, a notorious liar.
So I'd think it likely that one could find numerous statements of him, that support various beliefs.
I just know that when I was on a WW2 reading binge, Hitler came off to me as an Atheist, a Materialist, and valuer of Natural Orders as he saw them.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@TheUnderdog
What do I care if the left loves Bill Gates, Bill Gates is a piece of s***. I don't have a grudge against every millionaire. It's just that people get that way being shady as s***.  
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
This leads me to be a simulationist.
(IFF) there is any sort of god (THEN) it seems extremely unlikely it has any concern whatsoever for humans
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
We also don't really fall under the agnostic umbrella either.
apatheist ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Conservallectual
Then you're either an agnostic or a deist.
you forgot apatheist
Conservallectual
Debates: 27
Conservallectual
what's an apatheist?