Poll: What is a breathing expert?

Author: SirAnonymous

Total: 17
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
I have a question for you all on how to interpret the phrase "breathing expert." Barney and Novice had a debate about whether Derek Chauvin is a racist. After I voted, I found out that my interpretation of a phrase in that debate is not as universal as I thought. So here's a quick question for you all.

Read the following paragraph from the debate.

"During the murder, DC was told 27 separate times by a breathing expert with 46 years’ experience, that the victim could not breath; the expert was African American, and DC wholly ignored the advice. Another breathing expert with 26 years’ experience (fellow officer Alexander Kueng) likewise advised DC that George Floyd no longer had a pulse, also an African American and was of course ignored [4]. Had DC respected superior knowledge when it comes from African Americans, he would not be in prison and George Floyd would still be alive."

Poll Questions:

1) Who are the breathing experts in question?
2) Does this paragraph imply that the breathing experts in question are medical professionals?
3) Is this a correct use of the term "breathing expert"?

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@SirAnonymous
(1) I don't know who the breathing experts in question, were.

(2) That paragraph does 'not imply the breathing experts were medical professionals, to me.

(3) I don't know if it is correct use of term, breathing expert.
When I think breathing expert, I think guided relaxation, or anxiety control technique.
But I'd suppose that hospitals have individuals versed in observing breathing,
Whether when an individual is put under anesthesia, or during surgery.

Respirations 'are part of what one usually checks for vital signs, as far as I know.

I'm not sure what qualifies one as an 'expert,
Or whether one would 'know that another person 'knows what they're claiming, and aren't just giving their 'opinion.
The advisors being black, may or may not factored into Chauvin's heeding or ignoring of their advice,
I imagine what matters is one's 'own opinion, others importance as superiors, whether they were juniors in experience and or rank, part of the problem solving group of police or part of the unrelated (In Chauvin's mind) crowd of people butting in when they ought just give the situations space, buddy or antagonistic relation.
Some people just keep on their action out of mule headedness, or they think it's funny, who knows maybe he partially discounted their opinions because they 'were black, I couldn't say.
I'm doubtful that Chauvin thought he was going to kill the guy,
I 'think the case had more to do with negligence, than intentional murder.

But I'm rambling, and don't want to care much about case anymore anyway.

Also I don't know if the police make respirations part of training, regular training, or a sticking point.
Lot of groups just go through motions of regulations, and regulations end up guide lines,
Or technically we're 'supposed to care, but we train you in a way that shows we don't care, unless something happens.
. .
Also training and application might be seen as different for care of injured survivor vs person resisting arrest.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Lemming
Thanks for voting!
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@SirAnonymous
Barney got a lil triggered there, I'd say.

Sass is what I see but the topic is by no means an easy or soft one to discuss. This was a racist murder.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@RationalMadman
How would you answer the three questions?
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@SirAnonymous
You just want beef
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@RationalMadman
Yes, actually. I am just interested in the answers to the poll questions rather than anyone's opinion on the case as a whole. It's nothing personal, and I do have a reason for it.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@SirAnonymous
Personally, I don't think 'breathing, really makes one a breathing expert.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Lemming
Okay.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@SirAnonymous
Anyone conferred that status by a judge.

2) Does this paragraph imply that the breathing experts in question are medical professionals?
No, A judge's rulings are arbitrary based on what he feels are qualifications of expertise.

In a legal sense, yes.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@SirAnonymous
For the time being, I'll abstain from answering these questions. I plan to vote, and answering these points would somewhat spoil aspects of my RFD.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Lung doctors, those are breathing experts.

As to who they are, no there are many lung doctors, each one of them hving the ability to comment on this issue.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Poll Questions:

George Floyd and Alexander Kueng

No

The use is stylistic and the style is sarcastic. The important question is not so much correct/incorrect as effective/ineffective.  I think the usage would be far more plain when spoken with a slightly sarcastic "quote marks" kind of tone.  The sarcasm is meant to suggest that we are all experts on the simple in and out of breathing and so Chauvin has no grounds for arguing "appropriate levels of physical restraint" when everybody who breathes knows that if your arrestee stops breathing, his life is in immediate peril and all the contingencies for legal restraint are now abandoned for the exigencies of life saving.

Personally, I was confused by the mention of breathing expert until Kueng was  also named a breathing expert.  Then, matching their ages to their breathing experience, Ragnar's overstatement colors the critique of Chauvin as ignoring the obvious.  I don't think Ragnar can prove Chauvin's racist intent when ignoring the two black men's advice any more than Novice can hope to prove an absence of racist intent.  If I was Ragnar's editor, I think I would have advised against this whole argument generally and stylistic choice specifically.  

Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@SirAnonymous
What is a breathing expert?
I would say an expert in the respiratory system. 
Barney
Debates: 50
Barney
-->
@SirAnonymous
Thank you for taking such a strong interest in that debate.

Even more so for such a very small part of it, for which I am not spotting any controversy in the comment section.
SirAnonymous
SirAnonymous
-->
@Barney
The controversy wasn't in the comment section.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@SirAnonymous
Having read and voted on the debate, I've already answered these points in part, but I'll be more specific to these questions.

George Floyd and Alexander Kueng.

Not that I can see. It was a confusing statement on first read, but only for the lack of clarity in what made them experts.

It depends on the context. If Barney made the choice to lean on some specific expertise on their part, i.e. something that steps outside of just basic capacities to breathe and experience doing so, something very clearly non-basic, then I think the term "breathing expert" would take on specific meaning that would require some degree of credentialing. It would also require a different term, e.g. respiratory therapist, respiratory care practitioner, pulmonologist. The term "breathing expert" has no meaning in a professional context and comes off as pretty silly.  In this context, and particularly with the numbers given in this debate to support their expertise, which clearly encompasses their entire lifespan, it's function is sarcasm.