Are Christians Inspired by the Bible or by The Preacher

Author: Stephen

Total: 60
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
Here is one for you, since you have issues with suspension of disbelief and reading scripture...

The bible asks us to suspend reality and the laws of nature quite often to my knowledge. Virgin birth, parting waves, water into wine, talking snakes, wooden poles turning into serpents, walking on water, a few loaves and fishes feeding multiple thousands of people, and  etc etc

"Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

Yes historian Eusebius said something similar when the awkward question of Jesus' lineage was brought into question. As you well know that right away at the "virgin birth" there is a contradiction between Matthew and Luke concerning the genealogies of Jesus. Matthew and Luke give two contradictory genealogies for Joseph (Matthew 1:2-17 and Luke 3:23-38). 

Indeed apologist fanatic Eusebius has this to say when confronted with this Jesus genealogical dilema;
"each believer has been only too eager to dilate at length on these passages”.  Eusebius, The History of the Church.

This translates :  Stop looking too hard with your eyes wide open  and ignore them altogether as they raise far too many questions. Eusebius understood perfectly the big problem this would cause the church.

Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:

One does not have to take on a religion or be part of a church to meet the command above.

From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm."
 And still you haven't told me why any these verse in particular inspire you. Inspire you to do what? to be what, and how do they inspire you.

And how do those few fluffy lines about "pure heart" "faith" and "love" square with a god who of the bible says:

Exodus 15: 3 The Lord is a man of war: the Lord is his name.

Or what about this vile verse from Psalms of the bible:

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. Psalm 137:9 KJV
 Why would god or anyone who talks about "pure heart" "faith" and "love" one one hand and the next spew violent and sickening  such as those highlighted above.

BrutalTruth
Debates: 2
BrutalTruth
@OP:

Obviously preachers, unless they have no moral center, because the bible is essentially a fictional book full of horrid atrocities committed by a cruel and evil god, and the men that follow it. Most Christians are brainwashed from their early childhood to see the bible as "the good book," and therefore read it with bias instead of objectively. Anyone who isn't already a Christian who reads the Christian bible, and has any sense of morality, would be utterly disgusted with the notion of worshiping the monster depicted within.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
The church is the proper interpreter of scripture not you.

Funny how the church doesn't agree with anything you ever say, isn't it?

Really, you don't even have the right to appeal to scripture, because it doesn't belong to you.

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. Psalm 137:9 KJV
 Why would god or anyone who talks about "pure heart" "faith" and "love" one one hand and the next spew violent and sickening  such as those highlighted above.

The writer of that song wished that the Babylonians received what they gave his people. What did they do? They slaughtered their children. This was not a song written by God, it was a song written to God by someone who was VERY HUMAN.

Yet the Church teaches to bless those who curse you and repay not evil with evil.

You are like the ancient Romans who accused Christians of cannibalism because they didn't understand the mystery of the Eucharist. You don't know what you are doing. I forgive you. It would be better for you in the end if you repented and turned away from your wickedness. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@BrutalTruth
I was raised on sex, drugs, and rock and roll, and the religion that I came to on my own is certainly not evil. I think I would know my religion better than you, who have a predisposition toward presumptuousness.

I am always happy to cast away the shadows of ignorance with the light of truth, and is my desire that all come to knowledge of The Truth.
BrutalTruth
Debates: 2
BrutalTruth
-->
@Mopac
Brother, I'm 34 years old and have been studying and debating against Christianity since I was 17. I promise you I am VERY well informed. Intimately so. I have debated ministers with PhDs in their doctrine and shown them to be ignorant fools. The notion that you, a pretentious moron who thinks semantic fallacies equate to proven argumentation, knows more about Christianity than I do, is the most hilarious thing I've heard in a long time. You know nothing of your own god. You think he's an intellectual idea. Ridiculous. Go away.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@BrutalTruth
I'm not really impressed with your WWE posturing ad unsubstantiated assertions of dominance.

Look how haughty you are, telling me what I believe. You are deserving of mockery.
Mopac
Mopac
All someone has to do is take themselves as being God and they will never lose an argument. They will always believe they are right, because they have made themselves the measure of what is right.

How miserable are those who embrace arbitrariness. 

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@BrutalTruth
From your post 32 above -  this leapt from the page:.

Most Christians are brainwashed from their early childhood to see the bible as "the good book," and therefore read it with bias instead of objectively.
I have always insisted he that church /preachers will only ever steer the reader - children in particular away - from these inconvenient contradictory vile and violent biblical verses and always steer them towards the verses that appear to be more compatible with the loving  "father" Jesus seems to be talking about. I agree, this is “brainwashing”.

Anyone who isn't already a Christian who reads the Christian bible, and has any sense of morality, would be utterly disgusted with the notion of worshiping the monster depicted within.

I agree. The Old Testament starts almost immediately with conflict between two gods; it escalates very quickly into violence and warfare and doesn’t stop until the end with mankind taking sides with one god or another and dying by their millions for their misguided loyalty and blind faith.

Yours was an excellent post, BT, And one I entirely agree with. 10/10

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
The church is the proper interpreter of scripture not you.
Men you mean. Men didall of the “interpreting, from Mesopotamian Cuneiform to Syriac to  Aramaic to Greek to Latin And finally English and ALL DONE BY MEN/ HUMANS
Imagine all the mistakes, all the misunderstood words, the misspellings and all the bias over the millennia that have crept into what you call the “interpretation” by the church. You really are a clown.

Really, you don't even have the right to appeal to scripture, because it doesn't belong to you.
 I have every right to read and comment on these extremely unreliable scriptures.

This was not a song written by God, it was a song written to God by someone who was VERY HUMAN.
 “ VERY HUMAN” INDEED!  I agree, I have said so above it is the work of men. Did you miss that above? you Clown. But somehow it has ended up in “god's good book”. Do you think  that this extremely violent verse about "smashing children's heads against rocks" Psalm 137:9 KJV,  should be redacted? 
Yet the Church teaches to bless those who curse you and repay not evil with evil.
Is calling you a fawning clown a evil curse? And  Should a woman standby and defend her husband who is being attacked?

You are like the ancient Romans who accused Christians of cannibalism because they didn't understand the mystery of the Eucharist. 
More personal attacks.You just cannot help yourself can you clown. try addressing the op.

I forgive you. It Would be better for you in the end if you repented and turned away from your wickedness. 

For the 4th time, Address the thread or leave it. Tell me what has inspired you about the bible? How does it inspire you? What does it inspire you to do. I didn’t ask your you forgivenessand I won’t be repenting for anything anytime soon.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
More usual foaming at the mouth. No charity.

Boring.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
This was not a song written by God, it was a song written to God by someone who was VERY HUMAN.

“ VERY HUMAN” INDEED!  I agree, I have said so above it is the work of men. VERY HUMAN men.  Did you miss that above? you Clown. But somehow it has ended up in “god's good book”.

Do you think  that this extremely violent verse about "smashing children's heads against rocks" Psalm 137:9 KJV,  should be redacted? 
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
. as many people Iknow profess they are, they come unstuck when trying to explain what and whythey find the scriptures "inspiring"?

I personally find theepistles to be very edifying and inspirational. 
 This does not explain what and why you find the scriptures "inspiring".  Address the question above, you clown.

The saints are prettyinspiring if you ask me.

This does not explain what and why you find the scriptures "inspiring".  Address the question above, you clown.

You obviously don't understand the question so tell me : What is it that following biblical verse inspires you to do? or think? of act? and behave? and why?

"When a man sells hisdaughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the menare. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to bebought back again." 
Exodus 21: 7-8

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
You don't know what the bible is, You are groping in the dark.

I'm not saying anything the church wouldn't say.

Stephen
Stephen
You don't know what the bible is,

I do. But it seems that you and your church want to distance your selves from it. Is it not the work and word of god then as I have said all along. 

You haven't told me what inspires you about biblical verses such as :

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the menare. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be brought back again." 

I'm not saying anything the church wouldn't say.

Oh I know that you fawning sycophantic pipsqueak.

And you still continuously and purposefully have avoided the OP., and just filled up my thread with your bullshit without the slightest attempt to address the OP,  This, I am sure is against the rules from what I have been reading, I will recheck that with someone who should know.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
Wroooooong.

One day you'll get honest I'd hope.

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Mopac
What do you think of St. Teresa of Avila and her writings? Especially Interior Castle?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
You insult me nearly every post you make toward me which is against the TOS as well, glass house.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@janesix
I'm not really familiar with her.

It sounds to me like you would be interested in the Philokalia.  Ihave heard it said that The Orthodox Church has embraced the mystical side of Christianity a great deal more readily than the Romans. I believe this.

Philokalia is very good.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
You insult me nearly every post you make toward me which is against the TOS as well, glass house.

I am not bothered about what names and threats of hell you direct towards me, so stop crying you fawning pipsqueak and address the OP.

IT IS YOUR CONTINUED FAILURE TO ADDRESS THE OP THAT I FIND OFFENSIVE. IT SHOWS YOUR WEAKNESS AND RELUCTANCE TO EVEN RECOGNISE THESE VIOLENT VERSES FROM THE BOOK THAT YOU SAY :

and in my experience, we use it [THE BIBLE] more than other churches. Even let it speak for itself. POST 6 https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/786

What do you find inspiring about biblical verse below?

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the menare. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be brought back again." 

And this extremely violent verse about "smashing children's heads against rocks" Psalm 137:9 KJV,

janesix
janesix
-->
@Mopac
Thanks, I will check it out.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@janesix
And this extremely violent verse about "smashing children's heads against rocks" Psalm 137:9 KJV,
Boney M missed out that bit..

janesix
janesix
-->
@keithprosser
I'm lost as to the point of this post,and why it was directed at me.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
You lack good mannerisms.

Mopac
Mopac
Jesus is the fulfillment of the law and the prophets. It was said earlier in this topic that Jesus is our inspiration. I will go with that.

The Truth.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@janesix
my mistake... it should have gone to stephen.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac
Jesus is the fulfillment of the law and the prophets.
No he wasn't,  And even if this were true, what was the purpose, he failed at his mission. 

It was said earlier in this topic that Jesus is our inspiration.
Not to my knowledge it doesn't. But I asked what inspires you about these scriptures you fawning pipsqueak, not who inspires you.

What is it that inspires you about this vile verse concerning a woman defending her husband:

Deuteronomy 25:11-1: If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
You don't understand my faith, neither are you interested in learning.
I'm not interested in talking to you. I think you are a moron.
Stephen
Stephen
 I think you are a moron.

You are entitled to believe of me what you will but it is all irrelevant.

You still haven't addressed the op.

Are those verses a little uncomfortable for you pipsqueak? Do they show you god for what he actually is. Try this one then> What inspires you about this verse?

"Behold with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods: And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day." (II Chronicles 21:14-15)

I'm not interested in talking to you.

Stop telling lies.
Mopac
Mopac
"Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was."

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Mopac

"Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was."

Make up your mind pipsqueak.

What inspires you about this verse?