Something that I don't understand

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 94
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Double_R
Marjorie Taylor Greene. And since she said it, this must be the political right's position
When did we go from Donald trump telling us what political positions to have to MTG? 
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
When you used Hilary Clinton's  words to prove that the left's position is that you need to believe all women. If you get to anoint someone as the spokesperson then so do I
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@TheUnderdog
Why do most people I come across either agree with the left on all of these issues or agree with the right on all these issues?  Why are there few people that look at each issue individually?  Is it because people are partisan hacks?
Tribalism is just how our brains work. The brain always calculates what is best for survival before it calculates what is best independently of survival. This means "What would my tribe say about this?" comes before "What would I think about this if I had no tribe?"
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
Tribalism is just how our brains work. The brain always calculates what is best for survival before it calculates what is best independently of survival. 
That's why inflation is such an important issue over all others. Survival.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
Tribalism is just how our brains work. The brain always calculates what is best for survival before it calculates what is best independently of survival. 
That's why inflation is such an important issue over all others. Survival.
Democracy is integral to the survival of the nation.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
Absolutely not. There is nothing about Democracy that ensures individual survival. It's mob rule. Thankfully the USA is a Republic.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Greyparrot
Thankfully the USA is a Republic.
which is mob rule with extra steps
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Castin
Tribalism is just how our brains work. The brain always calculates what is best for survival before it calculates what is best independently of survival. This means "What would my tribe say about this?" comes before "What would I think about this if I had no tribe?"
great point
Castin
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
Absolutely not. There is nothing about Democracy that ensures individual survival. It's mob rule. Thankfully the USA is a Republic.
It's a democratic republic, and there's no dichotomy there. We are both a republic and a democracy.

If you don't like or value democracy, I recommend Russia or China.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
If you don't like or value democracy, I recommend Russia or China.
Russia has elections. You just proved my case. Stop treating Democracy like some sacrosanct abstraction.

11 days later

TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@Castin
How about everyone get rid of their tribes and think independently of others?  I’ve been doing that since September.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
create your own cult(ure)
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@3RU7AL
I don’t wish to create a cult.  If you support me in general, don’t be afraid to criticize one policy I have and vice versa.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
every culture is a type of cult

some cults allow critique

some cults encourage critique

some cults require critique

9 days later

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Dr.Franklin
The problem with you and Libertarianism is that it is way too linear.
Linear thinking is based.  It shows your consistent.

The Right subscribes to Christianity, which provides a blueprint for society instead of providing a broad range of principles.
Does this include the Bible verses that advocate for open borders, or the ones that call for stoning people to death for adultery(so Trump would be stoned if we live in a theocracy)?  Does this mean we would have to have a 100% wealth tax (the Bible says to sell all you have and give to the poor)?  What about all the times the Bible contradicts its self?  The part where it advocates abstinence until marriage (and very few Republican politicians follow this)?  The right is not a pro theocracy party.

The Left subscribes to progressivism.
What does it mean to be a progressive?  If it means changing the status quo, then Mike Pence is progressive on abortion because he wants to change the status quo.  It would mean any politician that implemented constitutional carry would be a progressive on guns since they are also changing the status quo.  What does it mean to be progressive?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Intelligence_06
How would the "left" and the "right" see the Ukraine war?
The left wants to bomb Russian troops because they think Trump is a Putin puppet.  The right wants America to stay out of foreign wars.  Although there is more bipartisanship on that issue than others.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
What about all the times the Bible contradicts its self?
exactly
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Double_R
I fall on the left side of almost every issue, including  the ones listed. 
Do you agree with the right AT ALL?

Am I just taking the positions I'm told?
I think so and you don’t realize it.

Whether they should be believed is situational and based on evidence, the left wing position is that all women should be heard and taken seriously.
This is the right wing position.  The left wing position is to try Kavenough as a rapist.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@TheUnderdog
Do you agree with the right AT ALL?
In some cases I suppose. I am not thinking of any at the moment because I don't run my beliefs through a left/right litmus test so if you're curious to know which ones feel free to ask questions and actually try to understand.

Am I just taking the positions I'm told?
I think so and you don’t realize it.
Then how does this work? What belief system do I need to have in order to think for myself? Tell me so I can adjust my positions to whatever you say they need to be.

This is the right wing position.  The left wing position is to try Kavenough as a rapist.
It's a cartoonish portrayal of the left wing position from someone who clearly does not give a rats ass about understanding the left.

Do you ever think that in your haste to distance yourself from partisanship you are actually the one just taking positions based on labels? That's what it looks like to me, I really wish you would start thinking for yourself.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Double_R
Then how does this work? What belief system do I need to have in order to think for myself? Tell me so I can adjust my positions to whatever you say they need to be.
well stated
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@TheUnderdog
Linear thinking is based.  It shows your consistent.

I'm sure you would agree that humans, society and culture aren't linear. So why should politics be?

Does this include the Bible verses that advocate for open borders, or the ones that call for stoning people to death for adultery(so Trump would be stoned if we live in a theocracy)?  Does this mean we would have to have a 100% wealth tax (the Bible says to sell all you have and give to the poor)?  What about all the times the Bible contradicts its self?  The part where it advocates abstinence until marriage (and very few Republican politicians follow this)?  The right is not a pro theocracy party.
What bible verse calls for open borders? Adulterers should be shunned in a just society. The Bible says to be charitable. The Bible never contradicts itself. And, republicans are not Christians. They are liberals by definition so of course they are not a pro-theocracy party.

You really have to stop thinking in American terms. No major politician in America today can be remotely considered "right-wing" ESPECIALLY considering the standards of other countries and history.

What does it mean to be a progressive?  If it means changing the status quo, then Mike Pence is progressive on abortion because he wants to change the status quo.  It would mean any politician that implemented constitutional carry would be a progressive on guns since they are also changing the status quo.  What does it mean to be progressive?
Progressive means to liberate the human individual from all constraits.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Dr.Franklin
So why should politics be?
Because politics is based off of values (or it should be; it seems to be based around parties nowadays)

What bible verse calls for open borders?

Adulterers should be shunned in a just society.
I think adultery should be illegal.  But not punishable by death; the Bible punished adultery with death.

The Bible says to be charitable.
Increased taxes on the rich forces them to be charitable.

Progressive means to liberate the human individual from all constraits.
Does that mean they want to liberate humans from the vaccine mandate constraint?  Or are they too partisan hackish to do that.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Dr.Franklin
What bible verse calls for open borders?
The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
As one of the five pillars of Islam, zakat is mandatory giving; all Muslims eligible to pay it must donate at least 2.5% of their accumulated wealth for the benefit of the poor, destitute and others – classified as mustahik. It is one of the largest forms of wealth transfer to the poor in existence.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@3RU7AL
Conservatives favor the Christian religion; not the Islamic one.  If they take the bi Le to its logical conclusion, they would need a 100% wealth tax on all people because the Bible says so.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@3RU7AL
seems like hospitality and not modern day politics
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@TheUnderdog
Because politics is based off of values (or it should be; it seems to be based around parties nowadays)
I agree

Not a single one endorses immigration

I think adultery should be illegal.  But not punishable by death; the Bible punished adultery with death.

Ok Libertarian

Not necessary. Increased taxes funnels it into the government, who knows what it does. CHRISTIAN MORALS forces the rich to contribute

Does that mean they want to liberate humans from the vaccine mandate constraint?  Or are they too partisan hackish to do that.
To liberate humans is to give them vaccines, its complicated but I can explain
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Not a single one endorses immigration

Leviticus 19:34 endorses immigration and open borders (treating the foreign like the native born).

Ok Libertarian
I’m a libertarian leaning independent.  On this issue, people don’t want to be cheated on, so there needs to be a penalty.  Not death though.  Do you support executing people for adultery like what the Bible calls for?

Increased taxes funnels it into the government, who knows what it does.
It subsidizes the living expenses of the poor.
To liberate humans is to give them vaccines
Maybe, but to liberate is not to force people to get vaccinated.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheUnderdog
Maybe, but to liberate is not to force people to get vaccinated.
exactly
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@TheUnderdog
Leviticus 19:34 endorses immigration and open borders (treating the foreign like the native born).
hospitality

I’m a libertarian leaning independent.  On this issue, people don’t want to be cheated on, so there needs to be a penalty.  Not death though.  Do you support executing people for adultery like what the Bible calls for?
But I thought libertarians believe you can do whatever you want.

It subsidizes the living expenses of the poor.
right. Welfare is liberating the individual from economic constraints and hierarchy. So liberalism

Maybe, but to liberate is not to force people to get vaccinated.
that's not how it works in liberalism's mind. It's full liberation or not. No choich