oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
HOLY GODDAMN FUCK

THE ENTIRE POINT OF A BLOCKCHAIN IS THAT YOU CAN VERIFY YOUR VOTE

IT'S A PUBLICLY AUDITABLE LEDGER

YOU CAN LOOK AT THE BLOCKCHAIN AND SEE YOUR VOTE WAS REGISTERED AS YOU INTENDED

TRANSPARENT AND VERIFIABLE
I think that's why the National Academy of Sciences ended the sentence with "and the voter may never know of the alteration."  I don't know what the current numbers are out of people who can do some vote verification do verify their votes but I assume its small.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
-->@oromagi
 theoretically, that's supposed to be impossible
according to who exactly ?
Well, the name for one, crypto

I thought all the early white papers and sales pitches  on cryptocurrency promised anonymity.  I thought that's why all the pirates and Trump officials used it.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
-->@oromagi
nearly a quarter of all known scams involve some form of crypto
So, do you agree or disagree with Dream's claim that  with blockchain tech you can have a secret ballot which is auditable by anyone with a computer and where the only method of fraud requires a conspiracy to issue false vote tokens, and that conspiracy could be detected by sufficient surveillance.

Is it secure enough to guarantee anonymity?

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
This statement is made from a profound ignorance of the vulnerabilities of the current system.
phenomenal
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
I just thought it was funny that you proclaimed "There are two types of people who don't immediately agree {with me]

1.) People who don't understand the technology and distrust those who do.
2.) People who fear democracy, and deep down know their interests and ideals are best served through fraud

and The National Academy of Sciences is so obviously neither.  

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
-->@oromagi
nearly a quarter of all known scams involve some form of crypto
So, do you agree or disagree with Dream's claim that  with blockchain tech you can have a secret ballot which is auditable by anyone with a computer and where the only method of fraud requires a conspiracy to issue false vote tokens, and that conspiracy could be detected by sufficient surveillance.

Is it secure enough to guarantee anonymity?
it's a transparent system

the elections board or their representative could create an e20 token for each registered voter in their district

only the creator of the tokens can issue more tokens and everyone can see how many tokens exist

and they cannot be faked

basically what NFTs are

these tokens would be randomly assigned to voting machines (not people) across the district

then, election officials could verify the identity of voters IN PERSON at their POLLING PLACE

and they would vote on the voting machines, that are NOT customized secret magic proprietary machines

just normal raspberry pi computers running open-sourced, publically reviewed elections software

and they would assign a token for each vote - that contains all of their votes in a single token, RCV and all for all races eligible for that time and place

they would get two printed receipts - in plain text, with the token code and all their votes in readable, non coded form, so they can review them immediately and speak to an election official onsite if they made a mistake

one receipt would go in a secure voting box

the other could be taken home

and then they could check their vote from home or anywhere on planet earth by looking up the unique, non-sequential token code they were issued, that would also be time-stamped so they know it has not been swapped with someone else's vote

there would be absolutely no need for "ap news" and "bloomberg" and "msnbc" to constantly be conducting surveys about who voted what and who's winning what on the night of the election, because EVERYONE can just look at the data directly
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
2.) People who fear democracy, and deep down know their interests and ideals are best served through fraud

are you familiar with the concept of "institutional inertia" ?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
I thought all the early white papers and sales pitches  on cryptocurrency promised anonymity.
citation please
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
I just thought it was funny that you proclaimed "There are two types of people who don't immediately agree {with me]

If this is your final response, I am, as anticipated annoyed.

The dichotomy holds true, NAS or not. I need my speech on appeals to authority in a .txt so I can easily find it, it comes up so often.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
argumentum ab auctoritate
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
  • Would you mail voters their token code in plain text, non coded form?  or would you eliminate vote by mail?
  • Say Greg Abbot is your Governor and the power goes out for a week when it gets cold and election day is cold?  Is there some kind of back up system or do we have to wait for the power to come on for these voters to vote?  If the power is out past the election day deadline are these voters denied the right to vote?
  • If power outages and DoS attacks can substantially suppress voting what's to keep Roger Stone from calculating exactly which Democratic strongholds need to be out of service in Wisconsin and Georgia for a couple of hours to guarantee a MAGA win and then ordering some DoS or well-timed transformer explosions?
  • If voters can prove how they voted from their phone, doesn't that increase the opportunities for coercion and vote-selling?  Say, Milo Yianopoulos goes onto a traditionally liberal voting campus and puts the word out that he'll give $20 to anybody who can prove they voted for Trump?  How would we detect this kind of vote-selling?  Say an abusive husband demands that his wife prove that she voted for Trump when she comes home?
  • Doesn't high volume significantly increase the cost and decrease the process time of block chain transactions?  Would a national one-day event overload the system and drive up the costs?
  • Wouldn't it be true that any election official with access to the secure lockbox would be able to check voter's ballot?  Would that kind of vulnerability violate voters' Constitutional right to anonymity?
  • If we're using Open Source on Pi Raspberry for everything, wouldn't it be fairly simple for some voting administrator to load some remote sharing software?

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
speech on appeals to authority

We have already demonstrated that you don't understand that an appeal to authority must be shown to be irrelevant to thesis in order to be fallacious.  You wouldn't ignore your doctor's opinion regarding your CAT scan on the grounds that he is an authority on the subject.

In any case, I was not offering an argument of any kind.  I was merely illustrating your arrogance.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
  • Wouldn't it be true that any election official with access to the secure lockbox would be able to check voter's ballot?  Would that kind of vulnerability violate voters' Constitutional right to anonymity?
the receipts do not have any personal information about the VOTER

only the time stamp and the polling place and of course, their actual vote in plain-text
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
 you don't understand that an appeal to authority
both parties must first agree on AXIOMS

one of those AXIOMS is the question of "what qualifies as an authority on this particular subject ?"

you seem to simply ignore the person you're talking to and instead simply DECLARE that what you personally consider an "authority" is basically "unquestionable"
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
  • Would you mail voters their token code in plain text, non coded form?  or would you eliminate vote by mail?
registered voters could show up in person at some point, any point really, to present their credentials and be randomly assigned one of the official e20 tokens from their local election authority

and at that point they could vote from anywhere on the planet with their unique code and also verify their vote online
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
  • Say Greg Abbot is your Governor and the power goes out for a week when it gets cold and election day is cold?  Is there some kind of back up system or do we have to wait for the power to come on for these voters to vote?  If the power is out past the election day deadline are these voters denied the right to vote?
the current voting machines already have batteries and or generators for power backup

and obviously paper ballots could very easily be used in "emergency" special cases

of course

if you end up with a "hurricane katrina" situation, i'm not sure getting to your local polling place is going to be at the top of your "to-do list"

but that has nothing to do with blockchain voting
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
  • If power outages and DoS attacks can substantially suppress voting what's to keep Roger Stone from calculating exactly which Democratic strongholds need to be out of service in Wisconsin and Georgia for a couple of hours to guarantee a MAGA win and then ordering some DoS or well-timed transformer explosions?
this "problem" is not specific to blockchain voting

any infrastructure failure is going to affect the "current system" and any "proposed system" equally
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
  • If voters can prove how they voted from their phone, doesn't that increase the opportunities for coercion and vote-selling?  Say, Milo Yianopoulos goes onto a traditionally liberal voting campus and puts the word out that he'll give $20 to anybody who can prove they voted for Trump?  How would we detect this kind of vote-selling?  Say an abusive husband demands that his wife prove that she voted for Trump when she comes home?
all of these "frightening scenarios" apply equally to the current "mail-n-ballot" system

but they apply less to the proposal under discussion

the printed receipt would be on a regular piece of paper printed with a regular laser printer (so no specialized equipment would be needed for either printing or scanning)

these could very easily be faked

anybody could look up any vote on the blockchain

and print a receipt of that vote

and claim it is their own vote
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
  • Doesn't high volume significantly increase the cost and decrease the process time of block chain transactions?  Would a national one-day event overload the system and drive up the costs?
One of the main reasons for the upgrade is scalability. The current Ethereum network can only support around 30 transactions per second; this causes delays and congestion. Ethereum 2.0 promises up to 100,000 transactions per second. This increase will be achieved through the implementation of shard chains.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@oromagi
  • If we're using Open Source on Pi Raspberry for everything, wouldn't it be fairly simple for some voting administrator to load some remote sharing software?
how are they going to fake the receipt that the voter takes home ?

how are they going to fake the receipt that goes into the lock-box ?

the transaction is verifiable on the blockchain

if it is entered incorrectly, by remote control or by any other means

and if the receipts don't match the blockchain contract

then it can be flagged by election officials

the entire system is transparent

the blockchain records ALL modifications entered into it
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
you seem to simply ignore the person you're talking to and instead simply DECLARE that what you personally consider an "authority" is basically "unquestionable"
I am a skeptical Liberal, I don't consider any authority unquestionable.   But only a Trump voter or other cult member would refuse to consult expert opinion on the subject at hand.  That's just anti-critical thinking.  

When Dream pontificates a fairly controversial opinion in the blockchain community and declares "only the stupid or corrupt could possibly disagree" that is a classic "poisoning the well" form of abusive ad hominem.   One excellent retort is to put some well recognized example in the position of being poisoned.  That exposes the poisoner as the fallacious.

Yes, a National Academy of Sciences paper  a good example of a non-stupid, non-corrupt contradiction to Dream's ad hom.   You can object to that assertion all you want but given the National Academy's reputation and  their paper's relevance to the subject,  I'm more likely to prove persuasive .

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
-->@oromagi
registered voters could show up in person at some point, any point really, to present their credentials and be randomly assigned one of the official e20 tokens from their local election authority

and at that point they could vote from anywhere on the planet with their unique code and also verify their vote online
  • OK, but you'd have to agree that kill the number one advantage of mail-in voting, right?
  • How would overseas and US Military work.  Would you run servers on foreign networks?

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
are you familiar with the concept of "institutional inertia" ?

Yes, also known as Conservatism.  When It comes to making big changes to how Americans vote, I suggest we move very slowly and cautiously, particularly given the recent successes of the present system.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
and obviously paper ballots could very easily be used in "emergency" special cases
Ok

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
this "problem" is not specific to blockchain voting

any infrastructure failure is going to affect the "current system" and any "proposed system" equally
well, mail-in paper ballots are going to be entirely resistant to DoS attacks or power outages, right?
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
all of these "frightening scenarios" apply equally to the current "mail-n-ballot" system
well that's false.  In our present, less auditable, system Milo could offer his $20 but college voters could still vote for Bernie and claim they voted for Trump.  The  wife could still vote for  Elizabeth Warren but lie about voting for Trump to her abusive husband 

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
One of the main reasons for the upgrade is scalability. The current Ethereum network can only support around 30 transactions per second; this causes delays and congestion. Ethereum 2.0 promises up to 100,000 transactions per second. This increase will be achieved through the implementation of shard chains.
Sounds good.  The cost would fall heaviest on rural voters but such infrastructural improvement usually end up paying for themselves.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@3RU7AL
how are they going to fake the receipt that the voter takes home ?
I'm thinking less about fake receipts then anonymity.  If you have a list of voters who showed ids in the order they voted and then you have the anonymous votes in order, you can crack anonymity.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
We have already demonstrated that you don't understand that an appeal to authority must be shown to be irrelevant to thesis in order to be fallacious. 
You have done no such thing. At best you have appealed to authority to conclude that appealing to an authority is not a fallacy, which is ironic and reminds me of trying to reason with a megachurch attendee.

You wouldn't ignore your doctor's opinion regarding your CAT scan on the grounds that he is an authority on the subject.
No I wouldn't, being a claimed authority is not grounds to reject assertions. That would simply be an inverted appeal to authority and fallacious for the exact same reason: The truth value of the assertion does not depend on the asserter.

I did not reject anything because it came from a source you find authoritative, I simply recognize that what you consider an authority constitutes at best an inductive argument and even that inductive argument sputters into deep weakness the moment that purported authority asserts something which is known by strong or sound argument to be false.

I do not care if Alex Jones or Albert Einstein said the 2 + 2 = 5. It doesn't, and I can prove it so I don't need to rely on authority.

In any case, I was not offering an argument of any kind. 
Already noted.

I was merely illustrating your arrogance.
When you went out and copy pasted the first google result you liked into this thread you knew you were ignorant but you still asserted (by proxy) with confidence. That is worse than arrogance.

Speaking of which I know you're responding to 3RU7AL here but since you have annoyed me:

If power outages and DoS attacks can substantially suppress voting what's to keep Roger Stone from calculating exactly which Democratic strongholds need to be out of service in Wisconsin and Georgia for a couple of hours to guarantee a MAGA win and then ordering some DoS or well-timed transformer explosions?
Don't worry, I'm sure Roger Stone could have a bunch of government agencies claim the election was the freest and fairest in history if he could plan and execute all that. Plus that's a conspiracy theory, we know conspiracies don't exist right?

If voters can prove how they voted from their phone, doesn't that increase the opportunities for coercion and vote-selling?  Say, Milo Yianopoulos goes onto a traditionally liberal voting campus and puts the word out that he'll give $20 to anybody who can prove they voted for Trump?  How would we detect this kind of vote-selling?  Say an abusive husband demands that his wife prove that she voted for Trump when she comes home?
As opposed to mail in voting where anyone can take a photo of their ballot (or a ballot)?

Wouldn't it be true that any election official with access to the secure lockbox would be able to check voter's ballot?  Would that kind of vulnerability violate voters' Constitutional right to anonymity?
As opposed to mail in voting where PII is packed in the same envelope as a marked ballot?
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@oromagi
When Dream pontificates a fairly controversial opinion in the blockchain community and declares "only the stupid or corrupt could possibly disagree" that is a classic "poisoning the well" form of abusive ad hominem.   One excellent retort is to put some well recognized example in the position of being poisoned.  That exposes the poisoner as the fallacious.
1.) I didn't say "stupid" I said "ignorant", you for instance are probably not stupid but you are ignorant and/or biased (or at least doing a good job of conveying that impression)

2.) In order for my dichotomy to be recognized as a fallacy it has to be advanced as a substitute for a real argument. That did not happen. When presented with claims and some very informal supporting statements I did not simply repeat the dichotomy and dismiss the source as "ignorant or corrupt", I found the incorrect assertions and where there was supporting statements I debunked them.

I argued against the argument, not the man, when there was an argument. Yet the dichotomy remains true.

A much better candidate for poisoning the well is disparaging comments against the man when specifically refusing to advance other arguments.... say something like this:
"But only a Trump voter or other cult member would refuse to consult expert opinion on the subject at hand.  That's just anti-critical thinking."

after specifically saying: "In any case, I was not offering an argument of any kind."