Total: 116
Avery
Debates: 0
Avery
-->
@Elliott
Reading through everything so far we seem to have reached some agreement
Oh good :)

In the future, I'm going to make a more concrete post operationalizing some of the core arguments of transhumanism/posthumanism, so look out for that if you're interested.

If you've never existed, you cannot suffer or experience pleasure.

If you exist, your suffering is guaranteed but pleasure is not.

That's how we can say one is better than the other.
My position is that if we have not existed then suffering and pleasure do not exist and you can’t say that suffering or pleasure is worse or better than something that doesn’t exist.

However, I think we may be looking at existence from a different perspectives, what you say reminds me of an Anti-Natalist viewpoint and for me there are some logical arguments that do substantiate that viewpoint.

If you are not familiar Anti-Natalism, rather than doing a cut and past, here is link to an article on it. I would suggest you check out Benatar’s Asymmetry Argument, it is quite brief and I think it may corroborate what you are saying.
It's funny that you're directing me to David Benatar because that's precisely whom I got the argument from :)

I won't mince words: unless humans can get their act together and bring about a far better existence for life (not just human life), I don't think life is worth continuing.

Anyway, as to your position, you say that if we have "not existed" and that "suffering and pleasure do not exist", then wouldn't this nothingness state be neutral? Obviously, there would be no one to judge this, but if people were to exist, we immediately enter a worse state (suffering).
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Avery
In the future, I'm going to make a more concrete post operationalizing some of the core arguments of transhumanism/posthumanism, so look out for that if you're interested.
I will keep an eye out.

It's funny that you're directing me to David Benatar because that's precisely whom I got the argument from :)

I won't mince words: unless humans can get their act together and bring about a far better existence for life (not just human life), I don't think life is worth continuing.

Anyway, as to your position, you say that if we have "not existed" and that "suffering and pleasure do not exist", then wouldn't this nothingness state be neutral? Obviously, there would be no one to judge this, but if people were to exist, we immediately enter a worse state (suffering).
I read David Benatar's book “Better Never to Have Been: The Harm Of Coming Into Existence” some years ago and it is hard to fault the logic of his asymmetry argument.

As to whether life is worth continuing, I’m not sure how to evaluate “worth” I don’t think you can, we are simply animals and there is no more worth to our existence than any other living thing. Our existence only matters to us and is of such importance many of us refuse to accept the finality of death, hence a belief in an afterlife.  That is why I think any attempt to realise David Benatar's argument would fail, because we are not totally driven by logic, we are driven by emotion and instinct, and our most basic instincts are to survive and procreate.

Is non-existence neutral, I don’t see why not but if it is neutral then there is no better or worse.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Lemming
I don't currently find myself able to agree it's objectively 'better though,
If a person values their tribe over other tribes, well, that's their value, above humanity.
well stated
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Shila
Skin whiteners have not been very successful at ending tribalism among white nations. Whites have fought  2 world wars and now Russia invades Ukraine which could be a 3rd world war in the making.

Whites have to get to the root cause of their hatred for fellow whites.
yes, religious slaughter is at least as problematic as skin-tone slaughter

people were pretty excited when they discovered oxytocin was great for human bonding, you know, mother and child type stuff, but also works for other human relationships

but then they discovered that it ALSO increases aggression against OUTSIDERS

so,

if you want closer human relationships, you apparently need to be prepared to fight those outside your core group
Avery
Avery
-->
@Lemming
"Morality is just your feelings. These feelings come from your evolutionary ancestry. They're nothing more." - Avery #56

And this bothers me 'greatly, though that's another discussion.
 Yeah, it doesn't feel good to think that it is. I think that's part of why religion has been so successful: it makes morality of divine importance.

"You should see which tribes produce the more desirable environments -- that's how you know whose morality is better." - Avery #56

Not everyone's desires are the same, but that's a different discussion.
Everyone desires food, water, shelter etc.

What societies are better at getting them? The societies with better moralities to keep them functional. 

"It's just has to be done by changing the human brain. Thinking tribalism away has failed and will always fail with humans." - Avery #56

Well, there's 'less tribalism than in the past, I would think?
 Of the murder murder stab stab, bit I mean.

Not that conflict is 'all gone,
Or that people don't still form groups and work against other groups,
Yes, we're less violent than before. 

That's largely a function of the Catholic Church deciding to kill off criminals around the year 1000 AD. If you kill off the worst 2% of your population each generation, you're eventually going to have a far more passive state (due to less of those violence-inducing genes). Those Catholic genes spread throughout Europe. Happy to source if needed.

When you say tribalistic fighting, do you mean,
Groups fighting other groups over values?
Or groups fighting other groups because another group exists?

I wouldn't 'think groups fight 'just because another exists,
I mean the latter.

Another group means competition for resources. Values are partly a result of the group's genetics, so to some extent, people are partly fighting other groups purely because they exist.

Just an additional thought,
Would you say you want to remove aggression towards other people,
Modifying the brain so one cannot act against other people?
Wouldn't it be good if there was no war, kind of thought?
Yeah I think you're right. Aggression is an issue. People should retain the ability to defend themselves, but not act aggressively. 

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Avery
People certain of their beliefs, act convinced in strong footing, perhaps.
Though even Atheists can have conviction in certain Objective Moral Statements.

I disagree that the function of continued existence is 'Morality,
Though I'd agree that it's often a consideration of people,

I'm doubtful about the Catholic Church suggestion,
Though I'd be willing to look at suggested source,

Not that nature isn't a component of an individual or people,
But Japan no longer has internal wars,
Is unification, shared moral values, tolerance, concern of humans, not a reason?

There is more food in world than past,
More explanations of events, weather, disease, rather than blame the unknown.

@NoOneInParticular

Though perhaps a person or society could exist 'without such,
Though I view myself as a nihilist,
Well, I wake, eat, interact, experience outrage,
'Idea of nihilism, does not overcome habit and genetics,

No error, error, does not compute,
No strings cut, unmoving,
Avery
Avery
-->
@Elliott
As to whether life is worth continuing, I’m not sure how to evaluate “worth” I don’t think you can, we are simply animals and there is no more worth to our existence than any other living thing.
I'd agree with you that our life is not more valuable than any life, if suffering and pleasure are involved in all.

Due to the asymmetry with suffering and pleasure, and since both are valued by humans (and other animals), I think if life has far more suffering than pleasure, then we can conclude that life is not worth living. That's the mechanism in which worth is generated.

Our existence only matters to us and is of such importance many of us refuse to accept the finality of death, hence a belief in an afterlife.  That is why I think any attempt to realise David Benatar's argument would fail, because we are not totally driven by logic, we are driven by emotion and instinct, and our most basic instincts are to survive and procreate.
Yes, those are problems, but that does not affect the veracity of the Benatar's argument.

If you were able to step outside the maze of your personal life and the emotions involving it, and looked at all life in general, what would you conclude? Would you think 2 year olds dying from dehydration in Africa was good? How about prey, like rabbits and antelopes, living in fear most of their lives? That's the argument which should be addressed because it accounts for all life and objectively evaluates the situation.

Furthermore, you wouldn't need to convince everyone that life isn't worth living, in order to carry out its logical conclusion (cessation of reproduction). Not saying I'm about to do anything of that sort, but it's something to understand.

Is non-existence neutral, I don’t see why not but if it is neutral then there is no better or worse.
The existence of suffering is always negative. The existence of pleasure is always positive. Those are the better and worse. Those are the only real values. In absence of them, there is nothing, neutrality, or whatever you want to call it.
Avery
Avery
-->
@Lemming
I disagree that the function of continued existence is 'Morality,
Though I'd agree that it's often a consideration of people,
I'm not saying continued existence is solely determined by morality.

What I'm saying is that societies with better morals were more likely to survive. When you're not dealing with thieves and liars as frequently, when you can walk down the street without having you head caved in by a thug, that gives you time to focus on other, more productive things. 

Did better morals guarantee existence? Absolutely not, but they helped.

I'm doubtful about the Catholic Church suggestion,
Though I'd be willing to look at suggested source,
Control+f for the heading "The War on Murder": First Worldism Part 5: The European Revolution – The Alternative Hypothesis . The article sources the relevant studies.

I'm not saying that the Catholic Church was a saint, but their push to kill off the top 2% most criminal of each generation had a wonderful effect.

Not that nature isn't a component of an individual or people,
But Japan no longer has internal wars,
Is unification, shared moral values, tolerance, concern of humans, not a reason?
Japan is currently a rather homogeneous country with not a whole lot of tolerance for foreign ideas. There's not a lot of infighting because they're so homogeneous and Asians are typically less violent than any other race. They don't have to bother with silly ideals like "tolerance" or "concern of humans" because their immigration policy is so strict. So, it's not surprising that there are no longer internal wars.

Look at diverse places like Brazil, South Africa and America, wherein racial fights and cultural clashes are daily.

If you give people the slightest excuse to form groups, they will and they will fight for their group.

There is more food in world than past,
More explanations of events, weather, disease, rather than blame the unknown.
There are plenty of other things to fight over, such as land, laws etc.

@NoOneInParticular

Though perhaps a person or society could exist 'without such,
Though I view myself as a nihilist,
Well, I wake, eat, interact, experience outrage,
'Idea of nihilism, does not overcome habit and genetics,

No error, error, does not compute,
No strings cut, unmoving,
I agree that there is no objective value. In the grand scheme of things, if humans were deleted today, there would be no difference. If no one remembered your life and what you achieved, it wouldn't matter. If I reach all or none of my life's goals, there is no difference.

It's the most liberating and scary realization: nothing you do truly matters.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Elliott
@Avery
What do you mean by better morals?
What is your definition of morality?

Fair point on Japan being a rather homogeneous country, though I'd imagine there 'are some differences in beliefs, people, culture,
It 'does seem to me that they would have 'less differences than some other countries, such as Brazil, South Africa and America.

But,
Something I've thought on now and then, I've British, Danish, Norwegian, and various other ancestors in my tree that I forget, many more I'm sure, the further back one goes,
X Color identity, is a fair bit odd I think,
For plenty of British, Danes, Norwegians fought against each other, likely dehumanized each other in conflict,

If there wasn't such an 'emphasis on this group or that group,
It'd often fade a fair bit, I think,
As I don't 'think white supremacists care about hair or eye color very much, yet many of our ancestors might have, I imagine.

People feel threatened when X group is identified, and they imagine some mass of them coming, changing one's everyday view, expectation,
But would it really matter if they were X ethnicity?
Surely a mass of blue or purple haired people would be scary to some people as well?

Not so much the 'color, as the established 'idea of a different group, an outside threat,
Don't know where I'm going with this just ramb-

Ah right.
. . .

International law, conflicted nations becoming less conflicted, Japan 'might be homogeneous 'now, but internal wars aplenty in the past,
One can simply argue some diverse nations haven't found their footing yet,

Britain had wars aplenty in the past, massacres, English, Irish, Protestant, Catholic, yet is more at peace now than the past I imagine.

I would think given time, other countries, such as Brazil, South Africa and America, can also find less conflict between groups.

. . .
Though, maybe one can't even say we've lost our tribal sense, simply 'expanded our ingroup,
If purple skinned aliens appeared, would it matter to many people if they promised to share our values and laws, so long as end result was that what we identified as was replaced? As in all humans died, replaced by the aliens?

I'm 'not advocating for that Replacement theory, or that we ought exclude outgroups of racial types,
I'm just thinking on what people think, when they follow tribalism.

. . .

I'm still reading it, thinking on it.

Re-reading older posts in topic as I think, noticed these posts talking about empathy for outgroup,
I'd argue that such empathy can be felt because the outgroup is 'also an ingroup,
Take soldiers of different countries at war,
Ingroup one first thinks of is their nations,
But they also have ingroups of their humanity, as fellow soldiers, as same ethnic group or culture at times.

@NoOneInParticular
The idea of a person rewiring themself or another has long bothered me, since some readings of horror and trauma fiction,
Not that it's anathema/unusual to being human, living,
It's always happening, we're born, learn, forget, are instructed by our genetics and environment, change,
It doesn't really matter whether it's our parents, good, bad, or if we were born alone on a deserted island and learned everything for ourselves,
There's no avoiding it,
Though we hate terms such as brainwashing, forced lobotomies
Education exists, the simple act of interaction and change exists, harmful brain tumors are removed, rehabilitation exists, people practice self evaluation, introspection, practiced efforts to change who they are to become who they want, achieve what they want,
But even rehabilitation of those we consider evil bothers me somehow, just the talking and urging that they share our values,
Even healing a person when they're traumatized beyond helping themself,
I find it heard to explain.

Thinking on #30

And my 2nd brother comes to mind,
Though I call myself a hedonist, I don't go so far as him, to be a drug addict who abandons duty and care of his family,
Though one could argue he doesn't 'truly feel more pleasure in drugs,
. . .
People also find pleasure in meaning, a parent might feel happy, even when starving, if only they can see their children be able to eat.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Avery
I think the march of technology has already rendered tribalism to be much less relevant than it could be. I really don’t think a country like the US could exist in the Malthusian hellscape that was pre Industrial Revolution life (most people have absolutely zero clue what things were like in stagnant zero growth societies where every single niche was filled but that’s a different thread.) As soon as something bad happened like a famine the various groups that hate each other would relish the opportunity to fight about it. Nobody wants to admit it—see the endless retarded “We grow all your food and produce all your oil!” Vs “we pay the taxes for your infrastructure!” Country vs city bullshit—but at the end of the day there are extremely powerful economic incentives keeping New York City and somewhere like Oklahoma in a union. Without technology enabling almost immediate exchange of goods and the economies of scale and other economic terms I’m not smart enough to know the names for that make both places richer there would be no reason for places so different that low key hate each other to be in a union. This is without getting into any of the race/ethnicity stuff. 

One thing I think about often is how Hitlers philosophy of lebensraum was already obsolete by the time he came to power. Obviously agricultural land and territory are still important but they aren’t the end all be all. Germany came to dominate continental Europe anyway despite  sacrificing a generation of young men and having millions of Germans ethnically cleansed from places they’d lived for centuries. In a way the entire war was fought over false assumptions and the failure to realize that created a lot of lasting harm. I think a lot of modern politics is like that. We are fighting over these issues that probably aren’t going to be relevant very soon. Unless we hit a wall technologically things will change in ways we can’t really anticipate. To actually answer your question human psychology is tribal since that’s the state our ancestors were in for like 190,000 years so I don’t think technology can eliminate it but it can continue to marginalize it. If technology ever advances to the point it can eliminate tribalism and other negative aspects of human nature, that would be full trans humanism imo like your asking and we would’ve transitioned into something else. But is that type of change possible I’ve got no clue. I see a future of people seething at each other online and then not ever doing anything about it because they don’t want to go to jail

The groups that seethe at each other in 50 years probably won’t be the exact same ones that exist now btw. For example in the states liberals love to gloat that “non Hispanic whites” (one of the dumbest terms ever) are losing their numbers in the USA. But if you look under the hood what’s happening is that Hispanic people are becoming more like normie white people culturally through assimilation, and phenotypically through intermarriage, while white libs are self genociding through South Korea tier birth rates. Just another example of how some of the stuff we’re fighting over is kind of dated 20 or so years in the past 
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Avery
Yes, those are problems, but that does not affect the veracity of the Benatar's argument.

If you were able to step outside the maze of your personal life and the emotions involving it, and looked at all life in general, what would you conclude? Would you think 2 year olds dying from dehydration in Africa was good? How about prey, like rabbits and antelopes, living in fear most of their lives? That's the argument which should be addressed because it accounts for all life and objectively evaluates the situation.

Furthermore, you wouldn't need to convince everyone that life isn't worth living, in order to carry out its logical conclusion (cessation of reproduction). Not saying I'm about to do anything of that sort, but it's something to understand.
If I was to step outside my personal life and emotions, then I would be indifferent to 2 year olds dying from dehydration.

You would need to convince people to cease reproduction and that isn’t going to happen as it goes against a most basic instinct. Even in a world that is becoming overpopulated people are not going to stop reproducing.

I accept the validity of Benatar’s argument from a logical position. But pleasure and suffering are not objective concepts, they are subject to human perception and the problem with the argument is that it is looking at existence from a human perspective which is driven to an extent by emotion and yet is trying to introduce a concept that attempts to bypass that emotion. It doesn’t work.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Lemming
Re-reading older posts in topic as I think, noticed these posts talking about empathy for outgroup,
I'd argue that such empathy can be felt because the outgroup is 'also an ingroup,
But they also have ingroups of their humanity, as fellow soldiers, as same ethnic group or culture at times.
It is possible to increase your in-group to include those who you may have perceived as being outside that group. This can be achieved through integration but there has to be willingness to integrate or to have circumstance that force it on you.

Unfortunately concept of the tribal out-group is a politely useful tool, those in power use it frequently and would not be willing to relinquish it. An example was Brexit here in the UK, where it was used to denigrate the EU. Europeans were the bad guys who wanted to take away our national identity and our freedoms; we were the good guys, British and proud of it. Tribal nationalism is easy to provoke and people fall for it.

There is however one group of people who seem to transcend this group identity and that is children. We tend to have feelings empathy towards children, even those who are complete strangers, and we have an instinctive feeling to protect them from harm.

Personally I would like to see the group identity encompass all humanity. I don’t know if it is possible, you would need to eliminate nationalism, racism and religious divide … not easy.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
Personally I would like to see the group identity encompass all humanity. I don’t know if it is possible, you would need to eliminate nationalism, racism and religious divide … not easy.
are you familiar with the story of the watchmen ?
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Elliott
A thought that's often occurred to me,
Is that one of the ways Britain might have kept it's Empire, would have been to be more integrating,
Giving the people in the Empire equal rights, not 2nd class,
Giving them equal representation,
Marrying the royal family to citizens of all parts of the empire.

But,
People don't like losing what makes them 'them, I think,
But Britain already is against racism I think, get's a fair number of immigrants, though as you say of Brexit, perhaps not 'so much,
Besides, we're never 'quite the generations before, I'd say,
Changes of values, genetics, even in the most closed systems, differences occur.
Maybe a society of 'clones would stay more the same to their original nature,
Still, even with changes, people often want to remain who they are, groups 'or individuals I suppose.
Rambling.

. . . 

Personally I think humanity 'might be able to get rid of it's race fixation,
If it wasn't 'such a fixation,
If it's not brought up constantly, made a spectacle of, or 'insisted that it exists and matters, whether in politics of p*rn,
People forget.
They forget eye color, hair color, shapes of faces, until they get told 'there's a difference.
Though it might be a flawed 'study, like the Stanford prison experiment - Wikipedia, which some people suggest may have been people acting out an 'expected role, though even an act, people can get into, until it's real.

My point though is that many people don't think much anything of someone's hair or eye color,
Then again I'm from America, mixed country,
Different hair color might stand out in Asia,
And people have stereotypes of red hair, blonde hair.

I can't bring myself, to much like such breaking down of walls between groups,
Though I don't consider myself a 'very discriminatory person in policy, or in action,
As I think I've said before, I'm not 'much bothered by the groups thing,
But that's only 'much, and if I don't think on it too much, encounter it too much,
Though even at my worst, I still think it not 'much.
. . .

I suppose some people could be convinced not to reproduce, like the Shakers,
But seems unlikely to convince every human, or even a majority really.

"Adam's sin was understood to be sex, which was considered to be an act of impurity. Therefore, marriage was done away within the body of the Believers in the Second Appearance, which was patterned after the Kingdom of God, in which there would be no marriage or giving in marriage. The four highest Shaker virtues were virgin purity, communalismconfession of sin – without which one could not become a Believer – and separation from the world.
Ann Lee's doctrine was simple: confession of sins was the door to the spiritual regeneration, and absolute celibacy was the rule of life.[36] Shakers were so chaste that men and women could not shake hands or pass one another on the stairs.[37]"

"Shakers were celibate; procreation was forbidden after they joined the society (except for women who were already pregnant at admission). Children were added to their communities through indenture, adoption, or conversion. Occasionally a foundling was anonymously left on a Shaker doorstep.[39] They welcomed all, often taking in orphans and the homeless. For children, Shaker life was structured, safe and predictable, with no shortage of adults who cared about their young charges.[40]
When Shaker youths, girls and boys, reached the age of 21, they were free to leave or to remain with the Shakers. Unwilling to remain celibate, many chose to leave; today there are thousands of descendants of Shaker-raised seceders.[41]"

"By the early 20th century, the once numerous Shaker communities were failing and closing. By mid-century, new federal laws were passed denying control of adoption to religious groups.[19]"
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@3RU7AL
No, it isn’t a story I’m familiar with.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@3RU7AL
Who watches the Watchmen?

Often a reasonable argument I think, for compartmentalization of humanity,
Sometimes some individual or group seizes power, runs amok and tries to kill everyone, remove rights, or just act in ways the people don't want,
But if an absolute power exists, how can it be stopped?

Checks and balances I suppose,
Of which multiple sovereign countries could be.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? is a Latin phrase found in the work of the Roman poet Juvenal from his Satires (Satire VI, lines 347–348). It is literally translated as "Who will guard the guards themselves?", though it is also known by variant translations, such as "Who watches the watchers?" and "Who will watch the watchmen?".
The original context deals with the problem of ensuring marital fidelity, though the phrase is now commonly used more generally to refer to the problem of controlling the actions of persons in positions of power, an issue discussed by Plato in the Republic. It is not clear whether the phrase was written by Juvenal, or whether the passage in which it appears was interpolated into his works."
Avery
Avery
-->
@Lemming
What do you mean by better morals?
What is your definition of morality?
Better morals as in codes of conduct that allow societies to flourish, for example, people being more generous and charitable to the people who deserve it.

My definition of morality: pro-social behavior that helps groups survive.

Fair point on Japan being a rather homogeneous country, though I'd imagine there 'are some differences in beliefs, people, culture,
It 'does seem to me that they would have 'less differences than some other countries, such as Brazil, South Africa and America.
Yeah Japan will have cultural differences within itself. People always find a way to be tribal, even when the group is super similar.

But,
Something I've thought on now and then, I've British, Danish, Norwegian, and various other ancestors in my tree that I forget, many more I'm sure, the further back one goes,
X Color identity, is a fair bit odd I think,
For plenty of British, Danes, Norwegians fought against each other, likely dehumanized each other in conflict,
That's true. White groups have fought each other a lot.

However, they're still closer related (genetically) than people of different skin colors. So, it's easier to make them form a group, than it is with differing races, but yeah they're not always going to form the 'White' group.

If there wasn't such an 'emphasis on this group or that group,
It'd often fade a fair bit, I think,
As I don't 'think white supremacists care about hair or eye color very much, yet many of our ancestors might have, I imagine.
It's really only fading in White people wherein they're brainwashed to not care about their racial in-group (or even hate it). You get Jordan Petersons coming along and saying 'racial in-group voting is stupid', and all that does is affect the White group.

All the other racial groups, at least in America, have this racial in-group bias. You'll find individual Africans and Hispanics who don't, but not big groups Non-Whites of Every Stripe Vote Democrat – The Alternative Hypothesis 

People feel threatened when X group is identified, and they imagine some mass of them coming, changing one's everyday view, expectation,
But would it really matter if they were X ethnicity?
Surely a mass of blue or purple haired people would be scary to some people as well?
Well they would (to some extent) get their views changed because the other group would be genetically different, plus the other group is going to do the racial in-group bias thing.

It's not just ornamental features like the color of your hair. Phenotypic traits run so deep that they produce large differences in political views Political Ideology in America by Race – The Alternative Hypothesis 

International law, conflicted nations becoming less conflicted, Japan 'might be homogeneous 'now, but internal wars aplenty in the past,
One can simply argue some diverse nations haven't found their footing yet,
How long is it going to take to find the footing? I've never seen a diverse nation find their footing. I've searched through history and diverse nations seem to have issues due to their diversity. Modern diverse nations are not great. I think we've tried that enough, don't you think?

Britain had wars aplenty in the past, massacres, English, Irish, Protestant, Catholic, yet is more at peace now than the past I imagine.

I would think given time, other countries, such as Brazil, South Africa and America, can also find less conflict between groups.
It's true that White people have fought each other. We're currently having White people fight Russia atm. 

But the major point is this: White people are more genetically similar than White and Africans, White and Hispanic, White and Asian etc.

Though, maybe one can't even say we've lost our tribal sense, simply 'expanded our ingroup,
If purple skinned aliens appeared, would it matter to many people if they promised to share our values and laws, so long as end result was that what we identified as was replaced? As in all humans died, replaced by the aliens?
It's only a minority percentage of Whites who are doing this. All the other groups are not, and even not all Whites do this. This is inhuman. 

We've already tried the 'if they share my values' approach. Liberia copy-pasted America's constitution and it's no better off than the other African countries. Democrat, Moderate and Republican Blacks en masse voted for Barrack Obama. Blacks and Hispanics will vote for the things that benefit their in-group, even if they "strongly disagree" that they deserve it. This is the race hurdle that has prevented all of the brainy ideas of 'race-neutral' politics from coming to fruition.

Most people don't ever think like this. You'll get the odd special person who is able to be post-tribal, but this is abnormal. Maybe copying these post-tribal people's genetics is the way to go, rather than trying to force tribal people to think like them.

I hope it's useful :)

Avery
Avery
-->
@thett3
I think the march of technology has already rendered tribalism to be much less relevant than it could be. I really don’t think a country like the US could exist in the Malthusian hellscape that was pre Industrial Revolution life (most people have absolutely zero clue what things were like in stagnant zero growth societies where every single niche was filled but that’s a different thread.) As soon as something bad happened like a famine the various groups that hate each other would relish the opportunity to fight about it. Nobody wants to admit it—see the endless retarded “We grow all your food and produce all your oil!” Vs “we pay the taxes for your infrastructure!” Country vs city bullshit—but at the end of the day there are extremely powerful economic incentives keeping New York City and somewhere like Oklahoma in a union. Without technology enabling almost immediate exchange of goods and the economies of scale and other economic terms I’m not smart enough to know the names for that make both places richer there would be no reason for places so different that low key hate each other to be in a union. This is without getting into any of the race/ethnicity stuff. 
Okay so it's just a ticking time-bomb. As soon as the gravy-train reaches the end of the line, these people will suddenly remember just how much they really hate each other. You still have the tribalism problem; it's just masked by a prosperous economy. People aren't thinking about what is best for the entire country; they're just making sure their group has their hand in the cookie jar. You have to constantly re-adjust economic instruments to make sure people forget how tribal they are, and yet they're still going to collectively bargain for things anyway.

It's just so inefficient as it teeters on a knife's edge...

One thing I think about often is how Hitlers philosophy of lebensraum was already obsolete by the time he came to power. Obviously agricultural land and territory are still important but they aren’t the end all be all. Germany came to dominate continental Europe anyway despite  sacrificing a generation of young men and having millions of Germans ethnically cleansed from places they’d lived for centuries. In a way the entire war was fought over false assumptions and the failure to realize that created a lot of lasting harm. I think a lot of modern politics is like that. We are fighting over these issues that probably aren’t going to be relevant very soon. Unless we hit a wall technologically things will change in ways we can’t really anticipate. To actually answer your question human psychology is tribal since that’s the state our ancestors were in for like 190,000 years so I don’t think technology can eliminate it but it can continue to marginalize it. If technology ever advances to the point it can eliminate tribalism and other negative aspects of human nature, that would be full trans humanism imo like your asking and we would’ve transitioned into something else. But is that type of change possible I’ve got no clue. I see a future of people seething at each other online and then not ever doing anything about it because they don’t want to go to jail
I'm looking through stats and figures and I'm just not seeing this "marginalize[d]" tribalism. People still view race as their most important self-identifier. People still vote for the Black guy if they're Black. You get the odd White Progressive who has been totally brainwashed into buying 'anti-racism' (read: anti-White), but most other people haven't abandoned their racial in-group. It doesn't take much for a couple of tribalistic people to fly a couple planes into two buildings and cause utter chaos, too, even if most people are seething online.

Also, this is compounded by the issue that they groups being let into America are a net drain on the economy. At some point, even after quick-cash like fracking and cutting funding for nature trails and parks, America is just going to run out of money. Printer can only brrr for so long.

All this simply can't last.

The groups that seethe at each other in 50 years probably won’t be the exact same ones that exist now btw. For example in the states liberals love to gloat that “non Hispanic whites” (one of the dumbest terms ever) are losing their numbers in the USA. But if you look under the hood what’s happening is that Hispanic people are becoming more like normie white people culturally through assimilation, and phenotypically through intermarriage, while white libs are self genociding through South Korea tier birth rates. Just another example of how some of the stuff we’re fighting over is kind of dated 20 or so years in the past 
Hispanics do have a surprising amount of White DNA in them, but yeah it's not the smartest term. 

I do agree with the rest of what you said here. Even more promising is that Conservative Whites are breeding at above replacement rates, so if the in-bound immigration borders were shut for 50 years, most of the white lib genetic would simply die off.

But I think we'll see large-scale violence before then. It's way too hard to predict what and when exactly, but there are too many explosive elements for there not to be a boom.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Lemming
@Elliott
No, it isn’t a story I’m familiar with.
the conclusion is that in order for humanity to consider themselves as a single ingroup - they must perceive an alien threat
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@3RU7AL
the conclusion is that in order for humanity to consider themselves as a single ingroup - they must perceive an alien threat
I would hope there maybe alternative ways to uniting the human race but that would probably do it. I think the odds of an actual alien invasion are rather unlikely, but as we are quiet good at manufacturing enemies and we have the technology, I’m sure we could invent something suitably nasty to scare people.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Avery
Still thinking on what you've posted and linked,
Nothing obviously as wrong comes to my mind,

Though all variables in society, might not be the same,
Technological developments, in communication, widespread learning, travel, so on.

I 'do agree, and think that most people as we are now, as I am myself now, would be bothered by the purple skinned space aliens,
Though some vocal individuals on the Left might not be, or some transhumanists, (I am not referencing any individual in 'particular).

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
I’m sure we could invent something suitably nasty to scare people.
"climate change" is another attempt to do this
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@3RU7AL
Well we certainly created it but unlike the alien invasion anthropogenic climate change is very real.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Elliott
Well we certainly created it but unlike the alien invasion anthropogenic climate change is very real.
sure, but i guess a little too abstract for everyone to take as seriously as some sort of interdimensional intrusion

Shila
Shila
-->
@Avery
It's theoretically possible and desirable that the human brain could be redesigned to remove its tribal elements. Perhaps something as simple as removing the more ancient part of the human brain would suffice, maybe by manually recoding human DNA to make the RNA not produce it (or to have it non-functional). Although, it's likely (if possible) going to be rewiring many parts of the brain to ignore or circumvent the tribalistic parts (I'm not sure how integrated tribalism is in the human brain).

This should have drastic implications for politics, given that tribalism basically drives the voting decisions for most people. Ideas should become the leading way that politics is conducted, instead of group self-interest. This would allow for rapid, unified development in technology and critical thought as no time would be lost on race-based politics (and other tribal battles).

I do worry about the free-loader problem (i.e. people not contributing their part to group activity). Tribalism does seem to protect against it. I doubt making humans non-tribal would also make them selfless.

I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this. I'm not a neuro-scientist so I'm not sure how grounded in reality all of this is.
We have evidence rewiring the brain is possible. Look at were women are today. It took this long to get women to feel equal to men. Their regressive brain had to be overwritten with more progressive tribalism.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Excellent reply.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Greyparrot
I don't think so myself,
To me it looks a troll post, placed intentionally to trigger people.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Lemming
I work with computers. It's a chatbot. I can see parts of the repeating algorithm and other patterns.

Completely fails the voight kampff test.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Lemming
--> @Greyparrot
I don't think so myself,
To me it looks a troll post, placed intentionally to trigger people
There isn’t enough space to rewire your brain to update your tribalism.

Lemming
Lemming
-->
@Greyparrot
Hm, 'if it is a chatbot, ought be banned, I'd think,
Unless it's adding some value I am unaware of.

Bots can add value in video games, single players vs bots,
Or 1-2 bots to fill out group multiplayer.

I suppose even some online forums might appreciate bots,
But I can't see much value myself, at a glance, to online chatbots in a people forum,
Maybe as a 'game, where chatbot is randomly added, taken away, like Imposter game.