Author: badger

Total: 39
badger
Debates: 0
badger
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Lord of the rings is the original fantasy novel. D& D, and just about any fantasy movie where there are elves or rangers or dwarves comes from the basis of this original mixed hunting party fights evil. If the citizens of the UK don't want Americans to read it don't ship the books over here it's not like we can get in a car and go drive to get one from your country. And let's not pretend that the books are all original, most of what he based that stuff on is Germanic/ Norse/ Anglo Saxon mythology.
ADreamOfLiberty
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Germanic/ Norse/ Anglo Saxon mythology.

The Norse, Angles, and Saxons are all Germanic cultures. The non-German parts of English folklore are the Celtic parts.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ADreamOfLiberty
Yeah, I know. 

35 days later

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Well, it ends up being a complete re-write from Tolkien but I think most of it works.  I'll watch next season although I suppose I'll probably wait years for it.  Have you seen David Eggers The Northman?  Super epic fun that Tolkien would have enjoyed muchly methinks.
Shila
Shila
-->
@oromagi
--> @Shila
Why are Americans so fascinated by British classics?

They speak English.  I'd argue that the English are even more entranced by Americans.
Americans invented TV. The Brits were forced to learn how English should be spoken.

Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila
Americans invented TV. The Brits were forced to learn how English should be spoken.
It was John Logie Baird a Scotsman in the UK who invented the first working television. And it was the BBC that started the world's first public, regular, high-definition Television station.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
People keep confusing Brits and English.

And also keep forgetting that modern "White" American ancestry is founded in the same past as "White" British ancestry.

And please, I use the term white only as a point of reference.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@oromagi
And yep, the Lord of the Rings trilogy we great fantasy novels. 

And Jackson's film trilogy was excellent, albeit somewhat edited.

Though I found subsequent Hobbit films disappointing, so much so that I only watched about half of the first one and didn't bother with the other two.