Solution To Raise The Number Of Active Accounts

Author: Public-Choice

Total: 51
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
One thing that was so great about DDO for many years, though not toward the end, was that there were a crapton of active accounts and these accounts debated issues from all over the interests map. Science, religion, politics, public policy, philosophy, cars, etc.

This website seems to have, like, 12 or 14 active members on it, maybe slightly more, at any one given period of time. And most of the debates are the result of extreme echo chambers or forfeits and defaults, rather than engaging debates that merit voting.

This website is also seems to be prone to having new accounts of people who log in once and then never log in again, or stop after 2 or 3 days total.

So I propose that we all share the forum posts, debates, and more on Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Like, make engaging posts on those platforms that make others check out the website and then some will explore it and want to make new accounts.

This way, even if the accounts are temporary, there will always be a new onslaught of them, and, over time, it will raise the total amount of active accounts and create a much bigger active userbase.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
Problem is that starts to lead to cancel culture and the mainstream crowd coming in where doxxing and other stuff can really end our careers irl and such for what we debated freely here.

In a way, the 'dingy corner shop' vibe here actually keeps it very free. I noticed this consistently with any website that gets large; cancel culture finds it way there rapidly as it grows or cancel culture shuts the site down and permanently tarnishes it shot at popularity. Fame is overrated, I personally wish to just be RM the rando on DART than anything on a major website.
ComputerNerd
Debates: 15
ComputerNerd
-->
@Public-Choice
One thing I love about this site is the community vibe I get. It feels like we're all just travelers who found their way to a place where we can express ourselves, considering that this site isn't very advertised. 

A influx of new users would be so chaotic it would be impossible to find good, quality debates, considering the fact that they probably wouldn't hold the same dedication as the active members here. 
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ComputerNerd
Well, to explain my own personal journey.

I stumbled upon Debate.Org in high school, my junior or senior year. What drove me toward such a discovery I don't really remember. I think I was looking for a social media platform where I could debate people on any topic I wanted, since I am a person who is naturally drawn toward debate since I prefer to think in terms of epistemic logic and syllogisms and term logic as opposed to be agreeable or let people believe things I believe are patently false.

Naturally, this makes people like me a general nuisance toward society at large (I mean, just look at what Athens did to Socrates!), so Debate.Org was sort of like a salve to a serious everyday problem I faced. In a world where people preferred to get along as opposed to actually agree on things and seek truth and live their lives in reality instead of fantasy, Debate.Org was a sort of release. A place I could be myself.

Well... life got extremely busy. I stopped visiting. I lost a few debates due to forfeiture. I went to college, where I basically found that academia basically built a gigantic wall (built out of subjective sociological research and cherry picking of facts and data to give a faux air of objectivity), around this idea of not offending people by creating a culture where offending people basically became "disagreeing with the research;" research which was extremely flawed to begin with.

So, later in life, after getting into endless arguments on social media, many of which were basically just a contest of who is better at emotional blackmail, a couple years ago I remembered Debate.Org and decided to revisit it, only to find the debates switched from actual analysis, pros and cons, and reasoning to just an extension of the toxic argumentation of other social media. And most of the userbase had left, so all that was left were internet trolls who shouted past each other with sophistic reasoning as opposed to real debate. I mourned the loss of intelligent discourse at this point, and I basically left the website for good.

Fast forward to today, and I came across DebateArt. It reminded me of the once-vibrant, intelligent community that was Debate.Org. The forum section once again had people who focused on reason, proper sourcing, and actually responding with a higher degree of rationality. I once again thought I found a home.

Then I realized that the main reason to be on the website (debates) was almost nonexistent. And the debate topics were extremely nonsensical or, quite honestly, topics I have no interest in. It isn't like Debate.Org where there was always SOMEONE willing to debate ANYTHING, no matter the topic. From cars to whether Kantian or Aristotelian metaphysics is superior, there was a person so passionate on the topic they were willing to match wits with someone else who also was passionate on the topic. And this was great, because people who know absolutely nothing about a topic, but wish to gain a more balanced perspective on it, could read these debates and come across significantly more informed, have good sources to follow up on, and become somewhat of an expert on the topic with the following research through the sources used by either side.

The lack of a community stifles many of the features that are great about a debate website. Having more active users means more debates on more topics that will be worth reading. It would only be as chaotic as one wishes. They can choose to only participate in forum posts they want, read debates they want, and engage in debates they want, since there are many more options to choose from.

I learned quite a bit about some societally important topics from reading Debate.Org debates, and I also was able to better think through some of my positions for topics after debating someone else on them. These are aspects I sorely miss from society at large today. Nobody wants to debate or have a discourse. They just want to shout at someone until the other person accepts.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
You may be right. And I think this is because society, at large, is becoming cult-initiated into the cult of Republican or the cult of Democrat. Both sides have very toxic cancel culture.

But there has to be SOME solution to it. Because I actually want to debate things on a website that has debate in the title of it. I have some rather unpopular topics I want to have debates on, like Max The Sax being a better saxophonist than Charlie Parker, or diesel cars being the most environmentally friendly form of vehicle transportation, or that Kenny G actually deserved his awards, or how 2020s pop music thus far is basically devoid of most music theory and is inferior to any other decade of music.

I also would love to debate the Bible, aspects of world religions, and more to seek greater understanding in these topics. I also have a deep love of science, but not really for technology, engineering, or mathematics. Well, what I mean is, I love using technology, but I don't geek out over how a building is built or why one metal or mineral is better than another or how robotics is coming along. I prefer physics, medical science, psychology, sociology, etc. Topics few actually seem to be informed on these days, and those who are tend to be the people who become quite narcissistic and will begin to shout down peoples' opinions of the subject.

Like, I actually think there is usage to both eastern and western supplements and pills. I think alternative medicine is not bunk science, and I also happen to think a lot of Western medicine is not designed to cure people but rather treat them endlessly until the person dies. And I do think turmeric is more effective than Advil and Tylenol, and that ivermectin is not "horse medicine," and lockdowns did not work and weren't even the scientific consensus until March of 2020. I also believe n95 masks are completely pointless for many types of illnesses and all PPE is pointless unless a person is properly trained on how to wear it.

I haven't debated most COVID topics on here because I fear I will get "the CDC says you are wrong," or "Dr. Fauci says ____." Despite endless studies being given, endless research conducted, and serious methodological flaws in how a COVID case was recorded, and the complete poisoning of the well for many who were respected experts in their field until January of 2021, when they magically became hacks and hucksters for simply repeating the decades of research that was commonly accepted until 2021 as medical science, all because the CDC and Dr. Fauci, and the WHO asserted things with very little evidence. TBH, Dr. Fauci botched the AIDs epidemic so horribly that I can't believe he actually kept his career. I think he is a huckster and would LOVE to debate someone on that. Especially since he gets royalties from the Remdesivir he sold the general public on.

But if feel many on this website either don't care about these topics in the slightest, or aren't informed enough to seriously debate them. And I understand why. These are extremely specialized niche topics. I admit that I care deeply about issues few even bother to spend time thinking about. I think everyone is like this. We all have hobbies that we geek out on, that really make us feel fulfilled and add much value to our lives, but are extremely boring or unnecessary to other people. But that was one thing that made Debate.Org so great! You could find avid fans of these topics who actually spent a significant amount of time engaging with the subject matter, so a real debate could occur.
Lair77
Debates: 4
Lair77
Advertising on larger platforms like social media can help.

But the sad truth is that message boards are dying out.  Social media platforms and reddit have replaced them.  I'm not sure there is anything we can do to return to 2000-2010 levels of activity.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Why on Earth would you want this site to have more members? 
ADreamOfLiberty
Debates: 0
ADreamOfLiberty
-->
@Lair77
But the sad truth is that message boards are dying out.  Social media platforms and reddit have replaced them. 
I think this is for the most part the heart of the issue.

Back in the hayday it would have seemed hard to imagine that the 90% drama, ranting, and shallow fallacies that was DDO  would be replaced by 99% drama, ranting, and shallow fallacies with a character limit.

There is almost no room left for rationality, we're headed for a fall.
Shila
Shila
What if we got more dedicated posters like Shila who can  post across all topics political, religious and secular?
ComputerNerd
ComputerNerd
-->
@Public-Choice
I'm interested in most of those subjects. Maybe we can have a challenge? 

ComputerNerd
ComputerNerd
-->
@Public-Choice
Your profile says you're a Christian. If you want to debate someone who will change the way you think, challenge Bones or rayhan16. Bones is a disbeliever, and rayhan is a Muslim. Would be pretty interesting to see. 

11 days later

Shila
Shila
-->
@ComputerNerd
Solution to raise the number of active accounts

--> @Public-Choice
Your profile says you're a Christian. If you want to debate someone who will change the way you think, challenge Bones or rayhan16. Bones is a disbeliever, and rayhan is a Muslim. Would be pretty interesting to see
Christians losing to a disbeliever or a Muslim will only further reduce the number of active accounts.

We need Christians and Muslims working together to reduce disbelief between the two to increase the number of active accounts.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ComputerNerd
Your profile says you're a Christian. If you want to debate someone who will change the way you think, challenge Bones or rayhan16. Bones is a disbeliever, and rayhan is a Muslim. Would be pretty interesting to see. 
Well it all comes down to the topic. I, personally, believe the Bible cannot be disproven. I have studied this thoroughly. I even had bouts with atheism at one point. I later realized I was wrong.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ComputerNerd
I'm interested in most of those subjects. Maybe we can have a challenge? 
I'm open to suggestions! Maybe we could debate whether AI will cause mass unemployment!

Shila
Shila
-->
@Public-Choice
--> @ComputerNerd
Well it all comes down to the topic. I, personally, believe the Bible cannot be disproven. I have studied this thoroughly. I even had bouts with atheism at one point. I later realized I was wrong.
I noticed you don’t post in the Religion Forum. The Bible is being disproven by biblical scholars. They don’t need help from Atheists.

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Shila
The Bible is being disproven by biblical scholars.
I don't post in the religion forum because it is one big atheist circle jerk and whenever I posted anything of substance in those either nobody responded or they came back with "I don't like your source, so it's automatically wrong."

Thus far archaeology, genetics, and historiography have all proven the Bible to be a very reliable account of historical events. 

One thing to consider about "bibilical scholars" is that about 99.9% of them start with presuppositions. They don't start with the facts and then build their presuppositions around those. They start with their own a priori fallacies and then say something was "disproven."

I once got into a debate with someone who told me Isaiah doesn't reference a virgin and therefore wasn't a messianic prophecy. Oh he had plenty of biblical scholars. The only problems were that:
1. The LXX (Septuagint), that was completed 2,200 or 2,300 years ago, translated the Hebrew word in question (betulah) as the Greek word for virgin. 
2. There were tablets unearthed from that time period where betulah was used for virgin.
3. There was even a tale written in the native language that used the exact same sentence. This goes in character with many other passages of Scripture where God mocks other false gods.

Of course, the scholars all conveniently ignored this incontrovertible evidence that betulah did, at one point, mean virgin. But, you know, they are Biblical scholars so that means they MUST be right lol.

The thing is, there's always a "flavor of the month" scholar who says something stupid that was never true and everyone just nods in agreement. Then when someone digs up those pesky little things called facts, people call the person with the facts a pseudoscientist, pseudoscholar, or other insults. But they never actually explain why those interpretations are wrong. Because they can't, and they know it.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
Thus far archaeology, genetics, and historiography have all proven the Bible to be a very reliable account of historical events. 
Please show me proof of this. I have (skim)read the Bible and it's mostly some really weird story that makes barely any coherent sense aside from a few clear verses.

Even if it all were true, it's barely an account of history, genetics and archaeology.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
There's a great book by K.A. Kitchen titled "On the Reliability of the Old Testament".

Here's the Amazon link for it:

It has literally hundreds upon hundreds of archaeological finds in it that document biblical places, peoples, and other such facts. 

Kitchen is a world-renowned Egyptologist who works at the University of Liverpool, England. He has written over 250 books and journal articles. [1] So he's no quack by any means.

As far as genetics. It has been established that all of humanity must have arisen from a single Eve. [2] 

For historiography, there is more than ample evidence for the existence of Jesus, and every culture and ancient religion has the story of a global flood. [3] [4] Furthermore, we also have proof of the Exodus, [8] the 10 plagues, [5] [8] and that the sun was dark on Jesus's crucifixion. [6]

There's also proof from astronomy. NASA determined there was an eclipse the same year Jesus was crucified, thus confirming the extra-biblical records. [7] 

This is just a small snippet of the evidence out there.

SOURCES:
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
If you're into plate tectonics there's some amazing work that shows how a global flood could have caused the radical shifting of the plates, thereby still allowing dinosaurs to exist in North America despite their existing 4 billion years after the plates supposedly began separating. It is called the Flood Model.

If you think about the 1 inch a year, as uniformitarians claim, that would mean the plates moved 4.1 billion inches, which is way too far for dinosaurs to walk, by the time dinosaurs showed up 300 million hears ago. For reference, 4.1 billion inches is 64,709.596 Miles. If you also incorporate the fact that the waters were significantly higher back then supposedly, it becomes impossible dinosaurs walked there. So they must have already been present long before the continents separated. This is great evidence for the flood model.

This link is a summary of the model and the evidence behind it:
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
I think it would be wonderful to have more people on the site. Just having 10,000 members would be enough. It doesn't have to be DDO big.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ehyeh
That is bigger than ddo was if you mean active members, it was like 140 at any time, maximum.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
Make a thread in the religion subforum and I will respond, you and I are derailing your thread.
Shila
Shila
We need more Christian converts on DebateArt so they can be actively pursued by Atheists.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I am finishing the new version of the website and after the migration, not only we'll have updates on a weekly basis, but also I'll send emails inviting people back to the website. And I'll clean up the garbage on the social networks and see how much money I can put into the ads there.

And we'll have a proper feed page, to keep folks more engaged with what's happening with their friends. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
Looking forward to it. 
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
The mods can't even be bothered to be here, why should new members?
Shila
Shila
-->
@DebateArt.com
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I am finishing the new version of the website and after the migration, not only we'll have updates on a weekly basis, but also I'll send emails inviting people back to the website. And I'll clean up the garbage on the social networks and see how much money I can put into the ads there.

And we'll have a proper feed page, to keep folks more engaged with what's happening with their friends.
Good job!

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
I am open to having a debate on biblical apologetics topics with you if you want.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
What do you mean? Debates aren't vague, make it precise and have some outline in the description or I won't accept because what I have learned is that the 2 mods, Barney and whiteflame, vote primarily on in-your-face lines of thinking so I need to be ready for that by streamlining to clear-cut definitions and small/narrow framework.

I am able to mix simple with complex but the inverse isn't possible if the debate is vague and too broad and often will detract voters.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
Well what topic do you want to debate?