Positive resolutions should be evaluated on a balance of probability

Author: Tejretics

Total: 7
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
I’m defining a positive resolution as a topic that isn’t about whether something should be the case, but rather about what the state of the world. This could be a fact claim/attempting to resolve whether something is factual (e.g., “Global warming is primarily anthropogenic” or “God exists”) or a more normative one (e.g., “Affirmative action benefits minorities”). 

I believe that Pro should win such a resolution if they prove that it is probably true. In other words, if the resolution is “God exists,” Con can’t negate by saying “we can’t be certain God exists, and the sentence ‘God exists’ implies a level of certainty.” Pro wins that debate if they show that God probably exists. In other words, the resolution “God exists” is identical to the resolution “God probably exists.”

My reasoning is that almost nothing can be proven to a 100% certainty. Therefore, I think it’s reasonable to assume that if someone makes a positive claim without attaching a probability to it, their claim is just that it is more likely true than not. 

26 days later

Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
The default winner should be PRO if nobody votes. 
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@Shila
No.
Shila
Shila
--> @Shila
No.
You already have a CON position. If that doesn’t convince anyone then the default winner should be PRO if nobody votes.

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Tejretics
Oh dear, you're breaking the hearts of minimalistic noobsnipers :(

I guess it depends how the bright flames and purple dinosaurs take it, since they determine the winners overall.
Shila
Shila
--> @Tejretics
Oh dear, you're breaking the hearts of minimalistic noobsnipers :(

I guess it depends how the bright flames and purple dinosaurs take it, since they determine the winners overall.
Are you complaining neither  groups would vote for you.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Shila
Yes Shila, that's definitely what I'm doing there.