Is college worth it?

Author: Lair77

Total: 100
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
Best.Korea: @sadolite

I think sadolite wants to tell us something. Whats the matter, sadman? Do you want soup?
Try a German hotdog.

16 days later

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
"Is College Worth It"

I definitely do not recommend a naturally talented mathematician into a professional liberal arts college.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Intelligence_06
"Is College Worth It"

I definitely do not recommend a naturally talented mathematician into a professional liberal arts college.
You did the right thing and quit after high school. A higher education would be a waste on you.

Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@Shila
Umm no. I am a 11th grade High school student and I plan on going to a top 30 university.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Intelligence_06
--> @Shila
Umm no. I am a 11th grade High school student and I plan on going to a top 30 university
Does that mean you are not a talented mathematician as your earlier post advised?

You posted, “I definitely do not recommend a naturally talented mathematician into a professional liberal arts college.”

96 days later

AleutianTexan
Debates: 4
AleutianTexan
College is worth it if you have a plan. For example, I want to be a public school teacher. I got a political science bachelors and I'm doing alternative teacher certification now to apply for teaching jobs through the next year. 

If you don't have a plan, going to college will put you in a lot of debt for nothing.

40 days later

Math_Enthusiast
Debates: 8
Math_Enthusiast
It really depends on the area, but when it comes to math (which is the only thing that I fill particularly qualified to speak on in this context), college is absolutely and beyond the shadow of a doubt necessary. High schools almost always stop at calculus, and really, math starts after calculus. In fact, in my opinion, (perhaps this would be a good debate topic?) someone who is intuitive enough with math could start with set theory, and build their understanding of mathematics from ZFC and sets up, rather than from counting and arithmetic up. The math you learn in high school is sufficient for the real world, but if you want to be a mathematician, even an amateur mathematician, you had better take some college courses. It is true that there are resources online for this, which could substitute for actual college courses if you don't care about the degree itself. I am in great part self-taught when it comes to math, and probably could have simply worked off of the textbooks I find online. Nonetheless, math isn't that intuitive for most, and so it still stands that even someone who merely wants to be an amateur mathematician would most likely need to take some college math.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@AleutianTexan
I suggest looking for a school that has a teachers union. 
DavidAZ
Debates: 8
DavidAZ
College is nearly worthless for the average American.  The problem is that college is pushed so hard in high schools and in middle school the teachers are pushing you to find a career.  So most kids go to college not really knowing why they are there and eventually drop out or major in something that they later find out they hate.  College is not for everyone and college does not make society better.  I think for the most part it's just big high school and makes the average population dumber for an exceptional fee. 

My personal story is that I never went to college except for a semester AutoCAD course in a community college.  My career starting in steel work since that is what my dad did.  I stayed in that field and just applied myself.  Around 25 years old I was making more than the average college student and I didn't have any student loan debt.  

I agree with the OP that if you know the field you are going into to and it needs college credentials, then go for it.  It should pay for itself.  If not, leave it alone.
Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
-->
@DavidAZ
I agree with the OP that if you know the field you are going into to and it needs college credentials, then go for it.  It should pay for itself.  If not, leave it alone.
I'd say this accurate. We all have our talents and desires, so some people should go for a career that doesn't require college, and some should go for a career that requires college. A lot of it is understanding yourself.