Total: 179
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@Danielle
--> @coal
And why is that?
Because you made a post pandering to 99% of users on the site that you already know oppose transitioning, and their opposition is rooted in a belief that gender is fixed in biology. But the central argument made by Foucault and post modernists is that things like race and gender are notbiologically determined. They believe those things are social constructs. The people you want to like your post don't believe that. 
That is not what Foucault is saying. Foucault is talking about sexuality.

“Foucault discussed four sources of knowledge and power that have greatly contributed to the construct of sexuality.[10]  One of these is the “hysterization of women’s bodies”.  It has led us to view women as being highly sexual and as a source for medical knowledge about human reproduction.[11]  The next source is the “pedagogization of children’s sex”, which sees children as highly sexual.[12]  The heightened sexuality of children is held as something dangerous that needs to be monitored and controlled.  Another source of knowledge and power is the “socialization of procreative behavior” which maintains reproduction as an important matter for society.[13]  As a result, non-procreative sex is conceptualized as negative and nonproductive.  The “psychiatrization of perverse pleasure” is a source of knowledge and power centering on identifying sexual illness.[14]  This psychiatrization was done with the stated intent of controlling perversions, but in the study of sexual perversions Foucault argued that the power and pleasure dynamic actually contributes to a higher desire for and higher frequency of sexual perversions.[15]  The results of “psychiatrization of perverse pleasure” also illustrate how the multiplicity of relationships contributes to the construct of sexuality.”
Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@thett3
Should 14 year old be allowed to undergo breast augmentation surgery?
With therapy consultations and parental consent maybe. Teens permanently altar their body with tattoos and all kinds of plastic surgery.

What age should children be allowed to purchase alcohol? Join the military? Purchase a firearm? Adopt a child?
I don't disagree that age regulations can be a good idea. The subject didn't imply this thread was only about kids though. 

My problem is with children who were very clearly groomed and manipulated into doing irreversible harm to their body.
I have a huge problem with children being groomed into organized religion but I have no say in how other people parent. I'm not trying to be facetious with this comment either. The brainwashing people instill in their kids from birth is horrifying. Have you ever seen Jesus Camp? The only thing creepier than watching a cult pray or speak in tongues is watching little kids do it. 

The “mind your own business” line of thought ends when it comes to children. 
It's very hard to legally override parents and it should be. 

Again, the “so what” is that we are talking about literal children who are making a mistake
Says YOU.

I care about vulnerable people. I feel really bad for someone who destroys their body before they’re even in their 20s.
I care about vulnerable people too! I don't want anyone to "destroy" their body but I also don't think outsiders should be able to dictate what anyone does with their body. I feel bad for those who don't have the option to transition in accordance with their deepest desires (especially adults). And something tells me if people really "cared" about trans folk it would translate to some behavior other than standing in legal and social opposition to each and every thing they stand for. I never see conservatives sticking up for those suffering or being tormented and bullied. Instead they mock trans people relentlessly and accuse them of being mentally ill groomers who deserve to be shamed and suppressed. How kind! Thanks for caring! 

Do you honestly believe that 2% of a sexually dimorphic species are people born in the “wrong” body? Because that’s the current percentage of youth that identify as transgender.
I'm not sure but I doubt it.   I think gender is such a convoluted and complicated social construct that there is bound to be confusion. There are probably a lot of people who are just more masculine and more feminine now believing they are "born in the wrong body" as opposed to accepting that they're just different from the norm. A lot of gay people probably fall into this. 

That’s why we shouldn’t encourage unhealthy fixations, especially in children.
People said this about homosexuality for the longest time (and still do) which is one reason I find it to be such a shitty argument. Ignorance is not a virtue. Just because something is completely foreign to you and you have never experienced it or can't understand it or don't like it doesn't mean other people's experience of it is unhealthy or invalid. 

What especially grinds my gears about it is the big stigma about telling the truth, which is that they will never be the gender they wish to be and will never pass. 
Trans people are WELL AWARE  they're not the gender they wish to be, so why would you feel the need to reiterate that to them -- because you care about them so much? I have a few trans friends and most pass, some don't. But the biggest factor is that the individual feels better presenting themselves to the world a certain way whether they pass or not. I mean this is like saying a woman shouldn't wear make-up because she doesn't pass for pretty anyway. Maybe the world still sees her as unattractive but SHE the make-up wearer feels better about herself.

There isn’t really much of any evidence on post transition outcomes for children since this began in earnest very very recently. Like the past five years.
So then how can you sit here and talk about the long-term damage and massive regret if you say there's no research? 

There actually is research but I acknowledge it's fairly new.  All research is new until it's not. There are studies that have looked at thousands of trans people and the overwhelming majority of those that transition have no regrets and live happier, healthier lives after transitioning. Have you found research that says otherwise? 

These drugs and surgeries have long term irreversible effects. Where is the harm in discouraging minors from transitioning before they can make decisions? Don’t you remember what it was like to be a teen? 
Yes! I was a sexually confused closet case with depression! Once I left Catholic school and my Catholic family to go to college where my sexuality was embraced and not condemned, I became happier and healthier than ever before. Crazy, right?

I don't think there is harm in discouraging a kid from transitioning but there could be harm in preventing it depending on the person. There should be long, tough conversations with parents, doctors and therapists to ensure a minor (if we're talking about minors only now for some reason) has a good understanding of what they're getting into. It obviously should not be taken lightly.  But I truly don't believe a kid is going to be manipulated or persuaded into transitioning unless it's something they REALLY think is necessary for their well-being. Being trans is not cool. Being trans is not hip. Trans people struggle to find partners (and peers and friends and jobs). They deal with discrimination all the time.

Unless humanity and teenagers have done a sociological 180 I'm not aware of, kids are not going to be clamoring to desperately try and join an Outgroup that is notoriously rejected, bullied and shamed. So if someone tells me they're trans I'm not going to presume it's because the libtards put a trans character on TV. 

But it’s true that I have a bias because I have a philosophical objection to the entire idea. If a male patient is fixated on being a woman, has his healthy penis removed and replaced with what will be a festering wound the rest of his life, I don’t think that’s a positive outcome just because he reports that he’s glad it happened. Not any more than I would think it’s a positive outcome that someone who wanted their healthy legs removed got their wish. In both cases I view their decision making capacity to be stunted by mental illness. 
I'm glad you recognize your bias. We all have bias. The fact that I'm gay which straight people can't understand or experience makes it easier for me to accept that there could be other elements of gender or sexuality that is foreign to me but equally valid.

I think the difference between the penis and leg example is that the penis is affiliated with gender whereas your leg is not. If someone wanted to chop off their penis to align more with societal expectations of "femaleness," that makes sense to me though it's really sad. This is one reason people should stop putting so much emphasis on sexual organs when it comes to gender. Gender is a social construct. You don't need to chop your dick off to dress or behave a certain way. But let's not pretend that conservatives are fine with men walking around in makeup and heels. The reality is ya'll are going to ridicule and condemn people for being different no matter what. That's why if I were trans I couldn't find a fuck to give about someone else's opinion if they paid me. All of this nonsense about "concern for the well being" of trans people is such horse shit. It's not caring, it's controlling. 

Not accusing you of anything and I’m not about to get on a social justice high horse but how is that not insanely sexist to say that a part of a woman’s body is so much a sexual object that who cares if it’s damaged or destroyed in the pursuit of looks
There are a few fallacies at play here. I never said breasts were a sexual object. I said I don't care if someone gets a mastectomy or "destroys" their breasts because the people doing so have no desire or expectation to breast feed. Your desire for a someone to use their breasts to feed babies (or the evolutionary function of breasts) should have no bearing on what someone chooses to do with their own bodies. 

I was also flippant about getting new implants (in the case someone did have  regrets) to highlight that any plastic surgery is preferable to suicide and debilitating depression. So if the choice is between having breasts added/removed or killing myself, then yes "who cares" about top surgery if the alternative is death. 

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
Teens permanently altar their body with tattoos and all kinds of plastic surgery.

It's really hard to reverse a bottom surgery.

kids are not going to be clamoring to desperately try and join an Outgroup that is notoriously rejected, bullied and shamed.
The trans outgroup is on a pedestal. The pinnacle in the oppression Olympics.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Danielle

Yes! I was a sexually confused closet case with depression! Once I left Catholic school and my Catholic family to go to college where my sexuality was embraced and not condemned, I became happier and healthier than ever before. Crazy, right?
What were you sexually confused about? What was your closet case? What are you now after you came out of the closer? What implants and body augmentation have you undergone?

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
It's really hard to reverse a bottom surgery.
Fortunately 98% of people have no interest in reversing their surgery.

And the 2% that do will have to live with their decisions just like everybody else who regrets an irreversible decision in life.

The trans outgroup is on a pedestal. The pinnacle in the oppression Olympics.

Yep they're probably the most marginalized, most discriminated against and most hated group of non-pedophiles out there. Great point. 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Shila
That is not what Foucault is saying.
Indeed Foucault and other post modernists believe that gender is a social construct.  

He would probably hate the idea of people getting surgery just because they perceive their unhappiness with gender as a result of having the wrong body. But he would also disagree with conservatives that gender is immutable and determined by our sex organs.
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Danielle
You think people who regret it let the public know or go to their official doctor about something they know can't be done?

Think psychiatrists violate confidentiality to get that data? No.

Think they take part in surveys when wanting to die? Not really, no.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@RationalMadman
So when you can't find any data to support a claim because all research that has been done says the exact opposite of said claim, you can just say the results of the research are unreliable because "nobody will tell the truth" LOL that's great.  I'll have to try that fallacy some time. It's like shifting goal posts on steroids.  Very cool. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@RationalMadman
Not to mention a lot of people who regret the mutilation treatments usually end up dead from suicide. Kinda hard to poll dead people.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
So you can't poll dead people to ask them how they feel and yet you know precisely why they killed themselves LOL that's fascinating. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@Danielle
Not sure this is something to LOL about...

When someone hates their body that much that they pay to remove and transform entire bodyparts (excluding severe disfigurement) we must consider what it is they're trying to escape and run from with their new identity. Do most end up happier in the fantasy that they were born as the other sex? I don't know, at most I'd say 40% do and you're correct, we'll never know ever. The inner workings of a mind are only known to the individual until they choose to reveal it to others. Imagine going through all the surgery and hormone therapy for it to hit you deep down you hate yourself, so you get that next estrogen or testosterone dosage and go yaaaay now I'm 'me' again.

We live in a world now where literally if this text gets associated with the real me, my whole life can be ruined. Idk what year cancel culture officially began but this is next level. Just bullying people to stay silent and meek (me included, I'm just gambling that this stays here) it's just bullying us into silence so imagine how cancel culture affects those that regret it.

They're scared shit of being taunted by both transphobes and pro-trans people at once if they admit how much they regret it. They convinced their family to accept they were trans and probably fought for years for that and now regret it all? That must sting so deep they keep playing out the fantasy.
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@RationalMadman
I'm not laughing at trans people. I'm laughing at the idea of saying research "doesn't count" because it doesn't align with what you want it to say. 

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
Did the dead people tell you they regret their decision? What else did they say? Is there a Heaven? 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
Maybe read the suicide notes?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Danielle
I'm not laughing at trans people
Just the dead ones? You really must be fun at parties!
Shila
Shila
-->
@Danielle
->
@Shila
That is not what Foucault is saying.
Indeed Foucault and other post modernists believe that gender is a social construct. 

He would probably hate the idea of people getting surgery just because they perceive their unhappiness with gender as a result of having the wrong body. But he would also disagree with conservatives that gender is immutable and determined by our sex organs.

That is not what Foucault is saying. Foucault is talking about sexuality and not gender.
Definition of sexuality. : the quality or state of being sexual: a : the condition of having sex. b : sexual activity. c : expression of sexual receptivity ...

“Foucault discussed four sources of knowledge and power that have greatly contributed to the construct of sexuality.[10]  One of these is the “hysterization of women’s bodies”.  It has led us to view women as being highly sexual and as a source for medical knowledge about human reproduction.[11]  The next source is the “pedagogization of children’s sex”, which sees children as highly sexual.[12]  The heightened sexuality of children is held as something dangerous that needs to be monitored and controlled.  Another source of knowledge and power is the “socialization of procreative behavior” which maintains reproduction as an important matter for society.[13]  As a result, non-procreative sex is conceptualized as negative and nonproductive.  The “psychiatrization of perverse pleasure” is a source of knowledge and power centering on identifying sexual illness.[14]  This psychiatrization was done with the stated intent of controlling perversions, but in the study of sexual perversions Foucault argued that the power and pleasure dynamic actually contributes to a higher desire for and higher frequency of sexual perversions.[15]  The results of “psychiatrization of perverse pleasure” also illustrate how the multiplicity of relationships contributes to the construct of sexuality.”

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Danielle

I'm not sure but I doubt it.   I think gender is such a convoluted and complicated social construct that there is bound to be confusion. There are probably a lot of people who are just more masculine and more feminine now believing they are "born in the wrong body" as opposed to accepting that they're just different from the norm. A lot of gay people probably fall into this. 
There is nothing convoluted or complicated about the concept of sex/gender at all. It's just about the most simple concept there is. 

There are stereotypes associated with either gender, like wearing certain clothes, being attracted to the opposite sex, etc., but a failure to conform to this stereotype doesn't mean you are actually not the gender you were born as. Nobody is born into the "wrong" body because for all practical purposes we are our bodies. Easy. The trans ideology is completely incoherent and adheres to gender roles with a rigidity that social conservatism couldn't even dream of.

People said this about homosexuality for the longest time (and still do) which is one reason I find it to be such a shitty argument. Ignorance is not a virtue. Just because something is completely foreign to you and you have never experienced it or can't understand it or don't like it doesn't mean other people's experience of it is unhealthy or invalid. ...Trans people are WELL AWARE  they're not the gender they wish to be, so why would you feel the need to reiterate that to them -- because you care about them so much? I have a few trans friends and most pass, some don't. But the biggest factor is that the individual feels better presenting themselves to the world a certain way whether they pass or not. I mean this is like saying a woman shouldn't wear make-up because she doesn't pass for pretty anyway. Maybe the world still sees her as unattractive but SHE the make-up wearer feels better about herself...
This has to be reiterated because it's the truth, and despite what you may imagine is going on in their heads, the 13 year old's receiving hormones used to castrate sex offenders and getting in the pipeline for mutilation surgeries are not well aware that they will never pass. Nor are they aware of the permanent effects that the "treatments" will have on their bodies. They are constantly told the opposite of this. They are told at every turn that it is reversible, that no long term harm is being done, that they look beautiful/masculine/whatever it is they want to look like even if they don't, that they'll pass if they just keep on injecting themselves with drugs or binding their breasts, that passing will solve the multiple mental health comorbities they have. They are part of an entire worldwide community that affirms this. The entire enterprise assumes that whatever suspicion they have about their gender is correct, and seeks not to question that but to *affirm* it. The entire establishment affirms it--a teacher or coach who tells them that they are not the gender they say they are would be removed from their position of authority immediately. Absolutely none of this is done with truly informed consent.

So when you say " There should be long, tough conversations with parents, doctors and therapists to ensure a minor (if we're talking about minors only now for some reason) has a good understanding of what they're getting into." that isn't happening! At no point in the process is it suggested that the child's perception of their gender identity is incorrect, or harmful. This stuff is so new that NOBODY, even the doctors, know what these children are getting into! 

Unless humanity and teenagers have done a sociological 180 I'm not aware of, kids are not going to be clamoring to desperately try and join an Outgroup that is notoriously rejected, bullied and shamed. So if someone tells me they're trans I'm not going to presume it's because the libtards put a trans character on TV. 
Humanity has done a sociological 180 that you may not be aware of. As a matter of fact, being a member of a "marginalized" group is indeed VERY hip at the moment. The reasons for this are complicated and outside the scope of this discussion. But it's part of the reason that trans identification has exploded in the last few years. If trans identification WASN'T often the result of social contagion but an organic result of people being more accepting, we would see more adult people coming out as trans, we wouldn't see it cluster in friend groups nor would the increase be concentrated among teenage girls with other mental health issues, the kind who may have cut themselves in past times. 2% of a sexually dimorphic species aren't born in the "wrong" body. What's happening is pretty obvious

So then how can you sit here and talk about the long-term damage and massive regret if you say there's no research? 

There actually is research but I acknowledge it's fairly new.  All research is new until it's not. There are studies that have looked at thousands of trans people and the overwhelming majority of those that transition have no regrets and live happier, healthier lives after transitioning. Have you found research that says otherwise? 
I'm absolutely flabbergasted that your response to giving strong hormones and irreversible surgical procedures to minors when by your own admission we have no research on the long term effects is that we should go ahead and do it anyway. Most European countries are moving away from "gender affirming" care for minors because the outcomes were not good at all, the depression and anxiety that caused the issues in the first place didn't go away with transition which caused lasting and often unwanted changes.

Those studies are just surveys asking people, usually soon after they've transitioned, how they feel. It's extremely weak evidence like anything self reported is. And I've already made my position clear that I don't think a man having his penis removed and replaced with a festering wound he has to keep open the rest of his life is a positive thing just because he says it is any more than I would be happy for an able bodied person to be voluntarily made disabled, even if they wanted it. I view both of those things as mentally ill people whose judgement is impaired being failed by the medical establishment. You know what there aren't studies on? People who desist from identifying as trans. How much you want to bet they're very happy that they didn't get irreversible surgeries or destroy their hormone profile because they had a period of confusion? 

There's a medical ethics question when it comes to adults. Should a doctor cut off a healthy leg? There are similar body image disorders where a patient wants a healthy limb removed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_integrity_dysphoria Perhaps there's no place for the government here, for adults, but these patients shouldn't be able to find doctors willing to do this because its a horrible violation of medical ethics. Opposing doing this to children is the most open and shut thing I've ever seen

I think the difference between the penis and leg example is that the penis is affiliated with gender whereas your leg is not. If someone wanted to chop off their penis to align more with societal expectations of "femaleness," that makes sense to me though it's really sad. This is one reason people should stop putting so much emphasis on sexual organs when it comes to gender. Gender is a social construct. You don't need to chop your dick off to dress or behave a certain way. But let's not pretend that conservatives are fine with men walking around in makeup and heels. The reality is ya'll are going to ridicule and condemn people for being different no matter what. That's why if I were trans I couldn't find a fuck to give about someone else's opinion if they paid me. All of this nonsense about "concern for the well being" of trans people is such horse shit. It's not caring, it's controlling. 
The entire body is a holistic system, even removing a supposedly useless organ like the appendix has complications. If you don't think a penis should be a "gendered" organ than you should support discouraging people from removing it to try to conform to some imagined and unreachable ideal.

For the highlighted bit, yes, it's true that I wouldn't want my son to wear high heels and makeup. Philosophically I do believe that people should generally strive for a masculine or feminine ideal. Most conservatives would agree, I think. But the strength of that opinion isn't comparable at all to the opposition to irreversible hormone treatment and surgeries. The big differences are that high heels and makeup are completely reversible and aren't objectively harmful like cutting a permanent wound into your body is 
Shila
Shila
-->
@thett3
What you are talking about is gender dysphoria.

Gender Dysphoria - Diagnosis and treatment.

Treatment

Treatment can help people who have gender dysphoria explore their gender identity and find the gender role that feels comfortable for them, easing distress. However, treatment should be individualized. What might help one person might not help another.

Treatment options might include changes in gender expression and role, hormone therapy, surgery, and behavioral therapy.

If you have gender dysphoria, seek help from a doctor who has expertise in the care of gender-diverse people.

When coming up with a treatment plan, your provider will screen you for mental health concerns that might need to be addressed, such as depression or anxiety. Failing to treat these concerns can make it more difficult to explore your gender identity and ease gender dysphoria.

Changes in gender expression and role

This might involve living part time or full time in another gender role that is consistent with your gender identity.

Medical treatment

Medical treatment of gender dysphoria might include:

Hormone therapy, such as feminizing hormone therapy or masculinizing hormone therapy
Surgery, such as feminizing surgery or masculinizing surgery to change the chest, external genitalia, internal genitalia, facial features and body contour
Some people use hormone therapy to seek maximum feminization or masculinization. Others might find relief from gender dysphoria by using hormones to minimize secondary sex characteristics, such as breasts and facial hair.

Treatments are based on your goals and an evaluation of the risks and benefits of medication use. Treatments may also be based on the presence of any other conditions and consideration of your social and economic issues. Many people also find that surgery is necessary to relieve their gender dysphoria.

The World Professional Association for Transgender Health provides the following criteria for hormonal and surgical treatment of gender dysphoria:

Persistent, well-documented gender dysphoria.
Capacity to make a fully informed decision and consent to treatment.
Legal age in a person's country or, if younger, following the standard of care for children and adolescents.
If significant medical or mental concerns are present, they must be reasonably well controlled.
Additional criteria apply to some surgical procedures.

A pre-treatment medical evaluation is done by a doctor with experience and expertise in transgender care before hormonal and surgical treatment of gender dysphoria. This can help rule out or address medical conditions that might affect these treatments This evaluation may include:

A personal and family medical history
A physical exam
Lab tests
Assessment of the need for age- and sex-appropriate screenings
Identification and management of tobacco use and drug and alcohol misuse
Testing for HIV and other sexually transmitted infections, along with treatment, if necessary
Assessment of desire for fertility preservation and referral as needed for sperm, egg, embryo or ovarian tissue cryopreservation
Documentation of history of potentially harmful treatment approaches, such as unprescribed hormone use, industrial-strength silicone injections or self-surgeries

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
post #117 actually made me cry when I read it from a mother's testimonial.

This is not the time to be pontificating about how government therapists know best about mutilating trans people when parents are losing their children en masse.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Greyparrot
Yeah, what's going on is very scary and dystopian, and the tragic part is that it's so preventable. It's a really unfortunate confluence of circumstances that the current teenage "Cry for help" fad also coincides with an intense culture war/identity politics issue which causes people to engage in motivated reasoning. When someone is starving themselves or cutting themselves it's obvious somethings wrong, but now we are actually leaning into the "Cry for help" behavior and saying its good. There are some people who are actually trans, if that's possible, in the sense that the identification is organic and long lasting and probably inescapable, but it's a much much tinier number than what we are seeing now among kids. I'm glad I live in a red area of a red state
Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
-->
@Greyparrot
That's fucked. 
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@Danielle
It is clear from your comment you do not understand Foucault or postmodernism. 
coal
coal
I think Danielle knows about as much about Foucault as she can remember from an intro to philosophy course taught by someone who only read secondary sources.

So, I'm not going to debate something she doesn't understand with her.  It is enough that I am right, she is not and there is nothing more to say on the matter. 

Further, she has failed to respond to the rest of what I said.  So she must agree with me?  Or not?  I am ambivalent.  

coal
coal
-->
@Greyparrot
I am replying to post #117. 

The story is tragic.  I cannot "like" it, because of how horrible it is.

Stupid people trivialize the harm that psychiatry causes.  Some for ideological reasons.  Others because they are simply ignorant.

No one has meaningfully refuted what I said.  A few have struggled to understand it.  Others yet have misunderstood basic concepts and then asserted incoherent views.  

Many agree, because this is common sense. 

The psychiatrists need to leave the kids alone.  It really is that simple, and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong.

Thankfully most people here seem to have enough common sense to realize I am right.  

coal
coal
-->
@thett3
Why are you arguing with Danielle? 
coal
coal
-->
@Shila
I underestimated you above.  Your understanding of Foucault, at least, exceeds my expectations. 

But you are wrong on the policy of so-called "gender affirming care," for reasons I have already said. 
Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
Maybe read the suicide notes?

That's a great idea. Let's read it together: “I felt that I could no longer live my life as a lie, living as a boy instead of the girl I knew I could become. I was losing hope in the world and could not see my way out of the wrong body so I decided it was time for my life to end as a whole. I would like to be remembered as a transgender pansexual teenage girl named Hope."

Her mother adds: "Love your son or daughter for who they are expressing, and who they are. Open your heart wider than you thought you were going to have to. Open it wider and do not pass judgment. Let them lead the journey.”

I'm sorry what was your point with posting that note again? 

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Greyparrot
Just the dead ones? You really must be fun at parties!

I really am! But again I was laughing at the idea that we should discount studies and instead make declarations with no data based on cherry picked generalizations instead. Then I laughed at the assertion dead people can't tell us how they feel but they can tell us they regret transitioning. Now I'm laughing at the smug presentation of a link that does not at all say what you thought it said. The teen did not regret transitioning and never expressed that in their note. Thenote literally said the exact opposite. 

So again I was not laughing at trans people. I was not laughing at dead people. I was laughing at you. 

Danielle
Danielle
-->
@Shila
That is not what Foucault is saying. Foucault is talking about sexuality and not gender.

Nothing in that paragraph you posted (twice) disproves what I said about postmodernists believing gender is a social construct. Although a broad category with conflict (like feminism)  post modernism is generally about the  rejection of objective and universal explanations of how society and culture operate. They do not consider biological differences between men and women to be the same as gender differences between males and females.  But I don't feel the need to explain this further when you can just Google it. It has very little to do with anything else I said. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Danielle
These days, things people say often have very little to do with base reality.

The ongoing production of alternative realities will inevitably result in alternative disagreements.

Foucault made a living from it.

Smart Guy.