"Gender Affirming Care" is a snare and a delusion

Author: coal

Total: 179
coal
Debates: 6
coal
I am glad no one disputes that so-called "gender affirming care" is a snare and a delusion.  Further, that only whatabboutist sexual predators/deviants --- badger --- and chatbots --- that pink profile user whose name I have already forgotten --- disagree is a good sign.  

coal
coal
-->
@Bones
I also note that, for some odd reason, the prolific refuters of this stereotypically "right wing" belief are no where to be found.  
Because they do not exist.  No one actually believes this idiocy.  

rbelivb
Debates: 1
rbelivb
-->
@Bones
I also note that, for some odd reason, the prolific refuters of this stereotypically "right wing" belief are no where to be found.  
Because it's entirely boring, it's almost like the only people who actually care about these wedge issues like "gender affirming care," puberty blockers etc. are conservatives. The more interesting question is whether the transgender / queer changes to the underlying concept of gender are valid, which is the subtext of this whole post. But conservatives prefer to use wedge issues like a shield to make their position easier to defend.

Why would we want to get into the weeds of issues that are clearly complicated medical questions that should be left to professionals to decide, in conversation with the individuals involved? However I agree with the OP that the field of psychology is largely comprised of nonsense.
rbelivb
Debates: 1
rbelivb
-->
@coal
Because they do not exist.  No one actually believes this idiocy.  
You're right about that, because in general people who defend "trans ideology" do so on the basis that non-binary or trans expressions of identity are valid, not that every slightly feminine teenager should be castrated or whatever else you wrote about in the OP.
Bones
Debates: 31
Bones
-->
@rbelivb
Because it's entirely boring, it's almost like the only people who actually care about these wedge issues like "gender affirming care," puberty blockers etc. are conservatives. 
Why the need to mention conservative? Who mentioned the political divide? We need not any more division in society, do we?

every slightly feminine teenager should be castrated or whatever else you wrote about in the OP.
So you didn't read the OP then. 
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@coal
I’m trying to disentangle the point you’re making. It’s kinda weird and conspiratorial.

From what I can gather; you’re suggesting it was outrageous that doctors and psychologists didn’t treat homosexuals as if it was part of the natural spectrum of human existence and instead tried a bunch of therapies to try and cure their deviance. 

Because of this, you seem to be suggesting that doctors and psychologists shouldn’t treat or be accepting of transgender people as if it was part of the natural spectrum of human existence because apparently there is some vague overlap in some of the treatments and medication; even though the medications are given to a different set of people for different reasons to do different things?

Assuming for a moment that it’s possible for a human brain to develop with an internal structure that mismatches with biological gender - in a way that’s slightly different than for Homosexuality; what would the right treatment plan be for those who suffer from this condition to live full and happy lives?

coal
coal
-->
@Ramshutu
You're way off. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
Conspiratorial is the new buzzword of the progressive radical to explain dissonance.

Anyway, I really liked you unique take on Foucault.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@coal
You're way off. 
What did I get wrong; that seems to be your objection .

That homosexuals were treated one way - and that transgender have kinda similar treatments (but not really). Strongly implying that it’s some weird attempt by physicians to maintain the same sort of “oppression” or treatment tactics they used for homosexuals against transgender ; or at least pseudoscience.

The implication is that if the treatment of homosexuality in DSM-II was pseudoscientific and unfairly trying to “cure” homosexuality while they should be left to be who they want to be - then we shouldn’t facilitate care that helps the transgender be who they want to be?

By all means -  please help me make sense of this, it is not clear to me what you’re overarching point was in the first 3/4 of your post if this wasn’t what you meant.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
Apparently, some people never learn to scrutinize authority. Even when the ulterior motives are glaringly obvious.
TWS1405
Debates: 0
TWS1405
-->
@coal
-->@Ramshutu
You're way off. 

Ram often is. Often. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TWS1405
Sometimes he talks like he is on something.
coal
coal
-->
@Ramshutu
Everyone else seems to have understood it just fine.  Only you seem to have struggled.

That tells me we are in two possible worlds.  In the first possible world, your reading comprehension is below par.  In which case,  why would I bother since the level of abstraction involved here is likely to be over your head.  In the second possible world, your reading comprehension is just fine.  In which case, your ostensible confusion is an argumentative strategy, wherein you will misrepresent what I said and attempt to rebut some mischaracterization of it. 

I'll just tell you that I do not believe you have represented ostensible failure to comprehend what I wrote in good faith.  The degree to which you have already mischaracterized what I wrote tells me you are actively refusing to engage with the substance, which tells me you're probably dishonest and underhanded.  In fact, your conduct so far entirely reminiscent of Cathy Newman's behaviour in this interview.  I'm not going to play that game.  When you have something meaningful to say, I'll chime in.  Thus far, you have failed as evidenced by the wealth of other responses --- including those specifically addressing your own.

Bit of advice.  If you pull that shit in a professional context outside of academia, no one will trust you.  You will come across as a manipulative, shifty and underhanded trickster that refuses to communicate professionally or deal with colleagues or clients in good faith.  This character flaw of yours, however, is likely not inherent and therefore correctable.  After all, the only place you would have learned that method of mischief is by listening to someone who conducts himself or herself like Cathy Newman did in the interview I linked above. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@coal
I have yet to see a constructive interchange between him and any other user on this site. That alone speaks volumes as to where the problem is.

And that Neumann interview was a classic example of a person wanting to be more "right" than correct.
RationalMadman
Debates: 568
RationalMadman
-->
@Greyparrot
Except for the mods. He brown-nosed them and it paid off, he made it onto the mod team eventually.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@coal
Your response is essentially name calling and telling me how wrong I am and refusing to clarify - behaviour that I’m sure would totally go down well in a professional environment…

The replies thus far seem to be generating pretty typical anti-transgender-treatment riffs off your anti-transgender-treatment conclusion; it doesn’t seem anyone has nit-picked or analyzed anything you said in any depth. But anyhoo …

Given that you’ve offered no clarification and you’re now stamping your feet about how unreasonable I’m being over four or so paragraphs ; yet omit the simple and humiliating proof that would send me packing that would take, say, 2 sentences

Let me walk you through my obviously poor comprehension. Perhaps you can see yourself clear to correct me where my interpretation of what you said is incorrect. I will hold your hand, metaphorically speaking.

So I’m thinking given the title, that you’re trying to show or argue that gender affirming care is a “snare” and a “delusion”. Not an unreasonable assumption, right? 

I also make the horrifying stretch of an assumption that this is with a view to suggesting we shouldn’t perform gender affirming care. Because, after 12 paragraphs seemingly against it, and then comparing it to the Nazis - kinda makes sense, to conclude you’re against it, right?

You start initially about self reinforcing instrumentalities - ok - then you state that psychology is one of those hierarchies - ok. You then go 6 paragraphs talking about mistreatment of homosexuals, chemical castration, treatment of deviants, etc, and how you’d be forced etc based on standards of psychology at the time. Ok.

You then say:

However, the field of psychiatry was not done sexually mutilating children with chemicals and butchery under the snare and delusion of "therapy." Nothing has actually changed, in substance or practice.  Only how the field of psychiatry tells the world at large to conceptualize what it is doing.   So-called "trans" issues are now in vogue and allegedly "gender affirming care" has taken the place of both chemically and surgically mutilating children.  But with new branding, new messaging and new politics.
This is the only point you really make about transgender care - the topic of the thread.  I characterized this as:

Strongly implying that it’s some weird attempt by physicians to maintain the same sort of “oppression” or treatment tactics they used for homosexuals against transgender ; or at least pseudoscience.

Don’t know about you, but that seems an absolute straight up, bang on interpretation of what you said, right?

Then you follow it on with 3 bullet points that explicitly state they do the same thing.

So here’s me, reading four paragraphs of you explicitly arguing that trans and homosexual therapy are effectively the same thing - that one is the extension of the other: and I concluded that you think they’re essentially the same thing and one is an extension of the other. Fuck me, right?

You continue this line of thought in the remaining two paragraphs.

The only things you have said up to this point - is that treatment of homosexuals was pseudo-science (implied via Foucault admittedly)- and that the treatment regimen for transgender care are kinda (but not really - actually) similar. So, I have assumed your reasoning - in this thread - for thinking transgender care is a snare and delusion is because of its similarity to past homosexual treatment - because it’s literally the only point you actually seem to have actually made; how unreasonable of me; what a dick!

I mean - I could assume that elements of the final two paragraph statement and following on examples where you make accusations about children being able to “opt in” to the in group - that all seems to be built on top of the implications of the preceding two points, rather than something inherently separate.

Now; whilst you wholly object that I’m not engaging on any substance - not that it’s even really clear what your central thesis is from the original post; if you paid attention, I’m largely making two key points:

Firstly - you appear to agree that homosexuals are not deviants, and treating their condition as some sort of deviancy is wrong. I mean - why else are you railing against DSM-II and treatment of homosexuals in the first 6 paragraphs of your post, if this is not part of your point?

If not automatically treating homosexuals as if they are deviants - is the right thing to do; which is not a stretch to believe is your point. Then you’re providing some basis for the argument that perhaps it’s not completely unreasonable to also not treat the transgender as deviants either.

If transgender care was electroshock treatment, or telling everyone with that disorder that there was something wrong with them and to commit them until they agree that they are their biological sex - comparing to homosexuality would be an excellent argument - that would be a “snare” and a “delusion” - if I use the terms charitably. Obviously that’s not your argument 

So the issue is, that psychiatry treated homosexuality as deviancy that needs to be cured, and doesn’t any longer - and psychiatry now no longer treats transgenderism as some form of deviancy that needs to be cured; but instead care to help with their quality of life - so all should be right in the world. But as you appear to be against transgender care itself - that could either be because you think the treatment is invalid - or what they’re being treated for is invalid.

If it’s the former - that you think being transgender is not deviancy - the primary reason you’ve given thus far  is that the treatment is similar to that given to homosexuals in the past. If you think the latter - then you’re suggesting transgender is deviancy: I mean, after all - what other reason would there be not to provide affirming care unless what is being affirmed is invalid?

I don’t know which you’re doing, it’s not clear - the argument itself is not particularly well reasoned, or laid out; and leaves open a bunch of ambiguity in precisely what you’re trying to argue or say.

I would lean towards the latter given the things you’ve actually said, but rather than, you know, assume this is what you meant : I presented the logical conclusions to be drawn from what you said, and asked if this was the correct interpretation of what you were arguing or whether you wanted to clarify.

So after asking for clarification to deal with the first- I even assume the best possible case argument from what you actually said in the second - that you merely object to the treatment; which led to my second point - assuming transgender is actually a thing - what would treatment or valid affirmatory care actually look like?

So perhaps there’s more to your belief than what you said; perhaps you didn’t quite mean what you literally explicitly said; perhaps you missed out a key part of the logic - perhaps I’ve interpreted something you said incorrectly; I listed out how I came to that conclusion twice, and once in detail, and it doesn’t seem a particularly unreasonable inference. Or perhaps your argument as presented boils down to something that isn’t actually all that reasonable.

So perhaps instead of unending bad faith screeds and name calling; you can perhaps clarify what have I said that’s wrong, and why?

If not the overlap to treatment of homosexuals ; what other reason do you feel you’ve explained in any detail why affirming care is a “snare” or “delusion”? I can’t see one other than the choice of wording such as “mutiliation” to argue that the care is bad. We could talk about that instead - that would be fine - but that if that’s the actual issue you really have - that care is mutilation its own - than the entire OP is kinda irrelevant. The whole purpose of bringing up homosexuals at all is an irrelevant side track - you can just look at the treatment and say “this is bad”.

I mean - I’m also assuming you’re not merely suggesting that if an action is invalid in one circumstance it’s invalid in all others  - IE: because hormones were used to chemically castrate male adults against their will, that it’s use in transgender children in specific situations is just as bad despite being done with different impacts for different reasons in different circumstances - because that would be a silly argument.

But that all leads me back to my first reply - what would the correct care be assuming that transgenderism actually exist?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Lol, nice rant.

The point is, the only one in this thread who wants to "send people packing" ....is you. Most users do not have the dysfunctional personality of Kathy Neumann, even if you are deluded enough to think such a personality could be tolerated for long in a professional setting. In fact, the entire OP is a commentary about how the Psychiatric community is "sending people packing" because they arbitrarily dismiss alternative explanations for human behaviors. In that sense, you are the living embodiment of the very problems the OP addresses. Everything you say is probably going to be received as pure projection as a defense for your own radical beliefs. We already have enough excuses for why the torture of millions of homosexuals was justified. The world will go on just fine without more from you.

The rest of us are quite comfortable simply ignoring your constant dismissal of everyone's arguments.

And, really, that's the best approach. Ignore the troll. Not worth anyone's time.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Bones
Gender affirming therapists are analytically a contradictory position- therapists, as Peterson as opined,  are supposed to question and ascertain whether your beliefs are valid, they are not supposed to affirm predisposed beliefs. There is no other branch of psychology which affirms beliefs as opposed to challenge outside of the pseudoscientific gender affirming therapists.  
Katherine Imborek, MD, has seen the gender-affirming care provided at UI Health Care’s LGBTQ Clinic in Iowa City change the lives of transgender youths and adults. “It decreases depression, anxiety, and suicide attempts,” says Imborek, co-director of the clinic. To her, that care is “a medical necessity, like providing insulin to a person with diabetes.”
But a growing number of lawmakers, including in Iowa, view some gender-affirming care as medically unsound for youths and even a form of child abuse. Iowa is among 15 states that have enacted or are considering laws to prohibit certain gender-affirming treatments for youths and to impose penalties on health care professionals who provide it, according to the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law in California.The state actions focus on specific therapies under the umbrella of gender-affirming care: hormone-related treatments that delay puberty or promote development of masculine or feminine sex characteristics. Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey signed a bill last week that prohibits doctors from providing those treatments, while an order declaring those procedures illegal in Texas was halted last month by a court injunction pending the intervention of the state Supreme Court. The AAMC joined other medical organizations in an amicus brief opposing the Texas order, arguing that extensive scientific evidence exists to support those therapies and that the law would force doctors to risk endangering their patients by not providing that care.To put the controversy in context, several experts explain gender-affirming care. “It’s not just medication. It’s much deeper than that,” says Jason Rafferty, MD, MPH, a pediatrician and child psychiatrist who provides gender-affirming care at the Gender and Sexuality Clinic at Hasbro Children’s Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Welcome back mr chatbot!
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
Welcome back mr chatbot!
The name is Shila.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
You cant spell Shila without AI
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
You cant spell Shila without AI
SHILA. There you go.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
A human would get the joke, lol.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
A human would get the joke, lol.
But parrots don’t 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
Thank you!
Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
Thank you!
You are full of appreciation for Shila.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Shila
You are most welcome.
badger
badger
-->
@rbelivb
Because it's entirely boring
So fucking boring. It's one for the antagonistic in general also. What's a woman? Bones loves this shit, can hammer a no-brain opinion all day long. That's a hobby entirely without art. 

Shila
Shila
-->
@Greyparrot
--> @Shila
You are most welcome
Don’t forget you are a parrot.

Danielle
Debates: 3
Danielle
-->
@coal
I'm surprised you would present Foucault in a positive light. 

I agree that just because some guys wear heels and some girls want to shave their head and strap it on every night doesn't necessarily mean they were "born into the wrong body." Society has been quick to embrace gender non-conformation as a trans identity as opposed to someone just being more masculine or more feminine.

But I don't agree with the overarching premise that psychiatry is just as evil today as it was in the past. Calling for gay men to have their dicks removed was wrong in part because gay men WANTED to keep their penises. Trans people with penises do not want them, so removing them according to their wishes is not anywhere near as evil or inappropriate. 

Are you suggesting that people's personal freedom and bodily autonomy should be totally ignored and discontinued, or just persuaded against and shamed  like homosexuality? 

To say that  "nothing has actually changed in substance or practice" in psychiatry or psychology over the last few decades is obviously not true. Some things that have changed in the field include but are not limited to gay men no longer being castrated and given hetero testes in place of their gay testes; no more lobotomies for gay people; no more electroconvulsive therapy for gay people; no more shock therapy for gay people; no more aversion therapy for gay people; no more support for reparative therapies or conversion therapy for gay people (plus it's been banned in some states), etc. 

You wrote:

• Instead of surgically castrating them for homosexuality, psychiatrists surgically castrate them to begin their "gender reassignment."  
Psychiatrists don't perform surgery, but what's your point here - that castration should be barred all-together? (Not foreskin though amirite cuz it's ugly) 

• Instead of "treating" the purported "deviancy" of homosexualuty (DSM-II), now the field of psychiatry "affirms" the purported "gender" of supposed "transexuals" (DSM-5).
So should people's gender or sexual identity not be affirmed? 

• Instead of "chemically castrating" stereotypically effeminate, often prepubescent or barely pubescent boys with high dose regimens of Depo Provera (or other such drugs) because of their "homosexuality" (DSM-II); the field of psychiatry purports to "transition" or "block the puberty of" those exact same stereotypically effeminate, often prepubescent or barely pubescent boys, with those exact same high dose regimens of Depo Provera (or other such drugs) because of their "gender dysphoria" (DSM-5).  
No it's not "those exact same pubescent boys" that are having their dicks cut off. Only people who identify as trans and seek out those procedures or hormones have their bodies altered, and that's only after multiple consultations with doctors and therapists. 

Now,  the societal conditions favor inducing children to opt-in to the "in group" that is "trans."  Without any regard for the actual consequences at all. 

This is fear mongering BS. Trans people are still widely condemned and mocked by the majority of the population. They are still the subject of ridicule by pundits looking to get people riled up over things that have no bearing on their lives. They are still discriminated against. Consider that 90% of cis people have no interest in dating trans people. It's not "cool" to be trans. It's not an "in-group." It's the exact opposite with extremely high rates of bullying. Kids and teenagers are not walking around en masse purposefully looking to be part of a sociologically Outcast group that has high rates of depression and suicide. I'm sure some kids might go through a misguided phase the same way some walk around with green spiky hair or Che Guevara tee-shirts only to feel like a jackass years later. But no, young people are not being *encouraged* to cut off their dicks to be accepted by their peers. And finding a few miniscule number of cases where that happens or bad parenting occurs and using it to disparage or condemn an entire group  is not intellectually credible or socially responsible.

Why else would such an alarmingly high amount of so-called "trans" people have so many extensive co-morbidities?  
Probably for the same reason gay people have so many extensive comorbidities. That's still a thing. 

There are legitimate questions and criticisms for the trans movement, but please don't bring up nonsense used against gays and pretend it's applicable to trans people. "Look how mentally fucked up they are! They're coming to hurt THE CHILDREN!" Come on now.