Stricter punishments for troll voters.

Author: Novice_II

Total: 17
Novice_II
Debates: 98
Novice_II
Trolling seems to be tolerated by the ever so competent moderation on this site. This is the likely conclusion many will derive after watching users like ebuc and Shila essentially run wild within the forum. This to me, is less impending than preventing idiots from casting subsequent votes when their voting has already been detected as a problem. 

For instance: users like FLRW continue to cast troll votes on debates despite having his votes removed multiple times for the same reasons. Because the moderators on this platform are very intelligent, they made the obviously brilliant decision not to do anything, allowing him to cast a troll vote on a debate which could not be removed in time, drastically altering the outcome. 

Are you not supposed to act in accordance with basic logic, you may be asking in your head. This is generally true, but some people are actually too good to think about issues this way, and instead, use superior methods like feelings or emotions. So here is proposition x: 

• There ought to be an immediate suspension of voting permissions after the incidence of a troll vote cast deliberately, in a debate where votes are eligible for moderation.  
And here is the formalized argument for proposition x: 

P1) If any user violates a regulation which they are expected to be aware of and act in accordance with, there ought to be penalties to address such violations. 
P2) If a voter has voting permissions, before casting a vote, it is expected that they are familiar with the voting regulations of this platform. 
P3) Casting a troll vote, demonstrates under this assumption, a deliberate violation of regulations this user is familiar and acquainted with. 
C1) Therefore, there ought to be penalties to address such violations. 
P4) Such penalties should reasonably attempt to deter the specific problem which the users actions create for the given platform. 
P5) Revoking voting permissions best reasonably attempts to deter the specific problem created by P3, and C1. 
C2) Therefore, such penalties ought to include, but not necessarily be limited to, an immediate revocation of voting permissions. 

• I struggle to see how this argument is unsound. For its purposes, a troll vote can be defined as any vote that does not qualify as an attempt to meet the voting standards established in the code of conduct. 
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
I would perhaps institute a two strikes policy on a per debate basis if you want to be generous; after first vote is removed, they get one chance to fix it or else lose voting privileges on that debate.
Bones
Debates: 30
Bones
Anyone who objects to this either doesn't understand it, is apart of the problem, or just doesn't like Novice. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Novice_II
A troll vote can also be defined as one you don't like.

No matter how sincere a vote might be, there are whingers on this site, who just won't accept that they are not always the best.

Hence, I don't bother to vote.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
What makes a vote a troll vote, when it occurs, can you give an example, when it occurs, is it always intentional or can a voter unintentionally cast a trull vote, do both sides of the debate usually agree that it's a troll vote?

I'm wondering if you are defining it as a vote you disagree with?
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
Funny how I see things before they come. ;)

(Inside reference)

As for this, I not only agree but told Whiteflame such a few days ago.
coal
Debates: 6
coal
I can think of a solution.

Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
K_Michael: I would perhaps institute a two strikes policy on a per debate basis if you want to be generous; after first vote is removed, they get one chance to fix it or else lose voting privileges on that debate.
Wouldn’t it be easier to just tell them who to vote for? Rather than have Trump call in looking for missing votes.

Shila
Shila
coal: I can think of a solution.
Try explaining this.

Malta Annual Household Income per Capita reached 17,454.490 USD in Dec 2020, compared with the previous value of 14,810.094 USD in Dec 2019.

And in your profile you are claiming you make 150,000$. You don’t even know how much education you received.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Novice_II
Immediate loss of voting after 1 troll vote? We don't live in an authoritarian state. Chill out
Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@Vader
Of course. This is a site where moderated debates expect quality votes that have read and analyzed the arguments. If you cast a troll vote when the expectations are that you have read the voting regulations of the platform you should absolutely lose voting permissions as soon as possible. Mind you, not permanently, just for a period of time. If the action repeats itself, you should lose them permanently. 
Vader
Vader
-->
@Novice_II
This is simply not true. If there were to be an user who constantly troll voted, obviously there is action done and has been action done in the past. However, we allow a system that allows multiple chances to correct a behavior. It is not a major violation that would lose privilege's immediately and the way you are thinking is an extremely authoritarian way. That is also a reason why in order to vote on some debates, there can only be certain users that can vote if they really wanted to
Shila
Shila
-->
@Vader
Immediate loss of voting after 1 troll vote? We don't live in an authoritarian state. Chill out
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke.

Novice_II
Novice_II
-->
@Vader
This is simply not true. If there were to be an user who constantly troll voted, obviously there is action done and has been action done in the past. 
  • This is false. There are two examples of this currently. FLRW and Shila. Nothing, to my knowledge has been done to either of them as a consequence. 
  • Apart from this I am not seeing any cogent response to these arguments. Why isn't casting a troll vote a penalty enough to warrant removing voting permissions? What is the argument that people ought not to lose certain freedoms for committing violations of established regulations. You label this as "authoritarian," however it seems like the foundation for any civil society. 

Shila
Shila
-> @SupaDudz
This is simply not true. If there were to be an user who constantly troll voted, obviously there is action done and has been action done in the past. 
  • This is false. There are two examples of this currently. FLRW and Shila. Nothing, to my knowledge has been done to either of them as a consequence. 
  • Apart from this I am not seeing any cogent response to these arguments. Why isn't casting a troll vote a penalty enough to warrant removing voting permissions? What is the argument that people ought not to lose certain freedoms for committing violations of established regulations. You label this as "authoritarian," however it seems like the foundation for any civil society. 
I gave my reasons for picking a winner with each vote. If the reason given was not valid then cancelling my vote would be the most likely solution.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Novice_II
Shila has not made a vote or comment on any debate, so your point is negated there

In a civil society and especially in a civil case, there are levels to punishment before resorting to the final blow, a ban in voting, an one and done deal is an authoritarian approach that creates a level of restriction that is not sustainable for a debating site. I also do not see how any of the accounts you mentioned are trolls to a degree.
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
are you joking or gaslighting rn?

Shila has voted on novice's and my debates and had her votebombs removed.