Bad news in Florida

Author: Danielle

Total: 85
Double_R
Debates: 3
Double_R
-->
@bmdrocks21
And you’ll see 50% of the lefties on here reflexively defending piss poor satire.
How is it piss poor satire? I would love to hear someone explain the key differences between the stupidity expressed within the OP and what we’ve seen from the pro COVID crowd over the past few years.
RationalMadman
Debates: 569
RationalMadman
-->
@Double_R
The Hurricane is going to definitely destroy, Covid didn't kill everyone that was hit by it, I presume that's the primary difference.

A secondary difference is length of time of the oppression.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@RationalMadman
Most people who stick around through the hurricane would survive. There are so many people however that even a small percentage of fatalities results in a very high death toll.

Sounds exactly like COVID.

Length of time is a valid concern if we were really comparing the two, but that wasn’t the point of the OP.
RationalMadman
Debates: 569
RationalMadman
-->
@Double_R
Then the OP actually has a point. What is it you are trying to say really?

Personally, I was alright with most countries' way of handling things until Austria outright blackmailed all citizens to get vaccinated.

Italy and Greece did it for the elderly and such but Austria just blanket-forced.

I think we are too harsh on countries that didn't want to force people on lockdown against their will but did let them work from home etc if it was needed.
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@RationalMadman
There’s nothing wrong with criticizing the government’s handling of COVID. I for one, live in NY and thought the lockdowns were implemented for too long and the rules were too stringent. During the summer I got on a boat where I was required to keep my mask on on the deck while the winds blowing hats off people’s heads.

That’s very different from rejecting basic principals, like the idea that scientists know what they’re talking about better than Joe Schmoe’s podcast, or that government has a place in ensuring public safety. 
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@Danielle
Actually most Meteorologists disagree with climate change. It is the environmentalists who are bought out, not the Meteorologists. In fact, the founder of the Weather Channel recently voiced how much junk science went into climate change:

Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
In the latest survey 48% of Meteorologists said climate change isn't happening. This dipped from 60% a couple years prior, but still shows that they certainly are not "bought out."
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@bmdrocks21
Humor needs to at least remotely in tune with reality. But when you're trying to cloak your animus towards people you disagree with and that is your priority, nothing you say is going to be funny.
Basically this.  Now, Dani is trying to crybully her way out of the humiliation she's brought on herself.  

There is literally nothing that white women will not make about themselves.  

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Double_R
How is it piss poor satire? I would love to hear someone explain the key differences between the stupidity expressed within the OP and what we’ve seen from the pro COVID crowd over the past few years.

Well the main difference is the entire underlying topic being discussed.

Recommending that people leave an area because of a natural disaster shares very little in common with arresting people for not staying in their houses/wearing masks in public due to a disease with a low death rate.

As for questioning "the science", there is no profit motive here to sell people things like vaccines. There aren't major partisan political forces encouraging anyone to classify this hurricane one way or another. Meteorologists have no profit incentive to say the hurricane might go in a different direction than it will or that the winds are faster than they really are.

What the Democrats did with COVID lockdowns would be like making the entire state evacuate under threat of arrest because people in western Florida are in high danger from the hurricane.

Sure, she makes it sound like the two cases are similar. If I was entirely ignorant to what a hurricane is or what COVID was or what the policies were for each instance, I would think that it was fabulous satire. Unfortunately, I'm not
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@coal
Basically this.  Now, Dani is trying to crybully her way out of the humiliation she's brought on herself.  

Very common online strategy following STEP 1: SAY DUMB THING

There is literally nothing that white women will not make about themselves.  

Oh come on now, this isn't exclusive to white women.

It's baffling how quick even conservatives will be in casually mentioning white women (the only form of woman sometimes allowable to be criticized) in a negative light.
coal
coal
-->
@bmdrocks21
I guess she also doesn't understand the concept of irony.

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Shila
You have small hands and an even smaller thumb. Not very convincing.
And you have cooties :)
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Double_R
There’s nothing wrong with criticizing the government’s handling of COVID. I for one, live in NY and thought the lockdowns were implemented for too long and the rules were too stringent. During the summer I got on a boat where I was required to keep my mask on on the deck while the winds blowing hats off people’s heads.
How’s the governor’s race lookin like in New York? I’m curious 
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@ILikePie5
--> @Shila
You have small hands and an even smaller thumb. Not very convincing.
And you have cooties :)
You also suffer from fear of insects. Is there anything right about you?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Agent Shila

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Shila
You also suffer from fear of insects. Is there anything right about you?
There’s nothing wrong with fearing things. I’m officially cancelling you
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Public-Choice
In the latest survey 48% of Meteorologists said climate change isn't happening. This dipped from 60% a couple years prior, but still shows that they certainly are not "bought out."
The scientific consensus is that climate change is real and that it is caused by human activity.

This is from the American Meteorological Society.

“Climate Change is among the most pressing issues facing the world today.

Humans are causing climate to change and it poses numerous serious risks. The more carbon we emit, the higher the carbon dioxide concentrations in the atmosphere will be and the larger the changes in climate we'll face.”

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
The scientific consensus is that climate change is real and that it is caused by human activity to VARYING degrees..
True

it poses numerous serious risks. 
Not even close to a scientific "consensus"
Double_R
Double_R
-->
@ILikePie5
How’s the governor’s race lookin like in New York? I’m curious 
Then use Google.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Double_R
I trust a New York resident over a Chinese based algorithm.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Double_R
Then use Google.
I’ve seen what Google says lol. I’m looking for anecdotal evidence from someone I know 
IwantRooseveltagain
IwantRooseveltagain
-->
@ILikePie5
I’m looking for anecdotal evidence from someone I know 
What a genius. Do you understand anecdotal evidence is not evidence by definition? It’s the opposite of empirical evidence.

Double_R
Double_R
-->
@bmdrocks21
Sure, she makes it sound like the two cases are similar. If I was entirely ignorant to what a hurricane is or what COVID was or what the policies were for each instance, I would think that it was fabulous satire. Unfortunately, I'm not
I asked for the key differences in “the stupidity expressed within the OP” specifically because I knew you or someone else would do exactly what you just did; compare Hurricane responses to the COVID response and pretend that because the two are different, the OP fails. But none of that was the OP’s point.

The key examples I was referring to were;
  • Outrage over the government telling its citizens what to do, even when they are purely just recommendations
  • Complaining about dominant media coverage and suggesting it as evidence of some larger plot to scare people
  • Looking at which groups benefit from the crisis and using that as evidence that they are behind this vague plot
  • Asserting that scientists and government officials should not be trusted because they’re scientists and government officials
  • The assertion of government tyranny because the government took action in response to a crisis
These are the themes and principals we heard over and over again throughout the pandemic, that’s what the OP was highlighting.

ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
What a genius. Do you understand anecdotal evidence is not evidence by definition? It’s the opposite of empirical evidence.
I’m not talking to you. Shoo
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5