Topic's posts

Posts in total: 43
  • Alec
    Alec avatar
    Debates: 42
    Forum posts: 2,474
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    Do you know why most people on this site don't participate in debates?
  • DebateArt.com
    DebateArt.com avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 1,222
    DebateArt.com avatar
    DebateArt.com
    --> @Alec
    Because we barely have any people here lol
  • Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    --> @DebateArt.com
    But https://www.debateart.com/leaderboard/debates?page=2 states that most people who are on the site did nothing on the site.
  • David
    David avatar
    Debates: 78
    Forum posts: 1,173
    David avatar
    David
    This has kinda been a problem on DDO as well. The vast majority of people seem to prefer to talk on the forums than in actual formal debates. 
  • Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    Most people don't participate in anything on this site.  They don't engage in forms.  They don't engage in debates.  They don't don't comment or vote.  They are in the site in nothing but an account.
  • RationalMadman
    RationalMadman avatar
    Debates: 291
    Forum posts: 8,892
    RationalMadman avatar
    RationalMadman
    --> @Alec
    Alec, you will find that on DI (which is more popular) and even larger percent post twice per month than here etc. The majority being inactive/lazy/incompetent is true in all communities. If the majority are both competent and active, your community is too secluded.
  • Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    I don't like the format of debate island.  I prefer this one because it is like DDO, but without the glitches.
  • DebateArt.com
    DebateArt.com avatar
    DebateArt.com avatar
    DebateArt.com
    Yeah, I think RM is right. All I can add is that I have finished some SEO fixes and maybe in a couple of months we'll have some people from Google as well but who knows ... Also I will try to attract people from Facebook groups devoted to debates, maybe we'll have some luck there.      
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    Debates: 1
    Forum posts: 4,457
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    Reasons:

1. Ringer voting
    2. Silly debate topics
    3. Unfair vote moderation (has recently been better)

That's it.

• Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    Do you know why DA, DDO, and DI combined have very few people?  Compared to everyone in the entire country, I would expect millions of people to be on the site.
  • DebateArt.com
    DebateArt.com avatar
    DebateArt.com avatar
    DebateArt.com
    --> @Alec
    Probably because this is just a narrowly focused website, I don't think we'll ever have any huge number of people here. All we can hope for is to build a nice and active community, but I doubt it will ever be big. 
  • David
    David avatar
    Debates: 78
    Forum posts: 1,173
    David avatar
    David
    --> @DebateArt.com
    This. Pretty much this.

DART is a very niche site. The best way I think we could market is by inviting debate teams to join the site and use the site as debate practice and other stuff.
  • DebateArt.com
    DebateArt.com avatar
    DebateArt.com avatar
    DebateArt.com
    --> @David
    Yeah, exactly. I imagine that at some point we may make it interesting for some other folk that don't participate in the debates but like some other formats but it will be in the future, at the moment debates are the priority. 
  • Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    --> @DebateArt.com
    Debates are a narrow topic?  I thought that this site would be good for anyone arguing public policy and political issues.

• Ramshutu
    Ramshutu avatar
    Forum posts: 1,725
    Ramshutu avatar
    Ramshutu
    --> @Alec
    I don’t really have time to debate, plus I’m on a phone most of the time - so I try and read debates and vote. Forum posts are far less time intensive.

Plus occasionally some idiot looses their shit and freaks out over a single vote, and decides because of that one vote I’m an evil asshole who is part of a secret vote rigging cabal. Which is nice.

• Alec
    Alec avatar
    Alec avatar
    Alec
    --> @Ramshutu
    Your active though.  You comment on other people's debates and you vote.  You have as of right now more silver badges then I do and almost as many bronze.  Also, do you have a computer?  If you do, you can use that to debate.
  • Ramshutu
    Ramshutu avatar
    Ramshutu avatar
    Ramshutu
    --> @Alec
    i have a computer, I also have a small child: so an occasional forum post in between chores, a vote while I’m having a poop, or during the morning commute, or time whilst I’m compiling is most of what I have time for. If there’s a really tasty debate that falls on the right day or time, maybe: but not right now. I’m happy being an impartial debate judge right now.
  • Castin
    Castin avatar
    Forum posts: 1,965
    Castin avatar
    Castin
    Not a lot of people want to mess with a formal debate with rules and time constraints and homework involved. You get more instant gratification from posting in the forums, it's much freer and much less of a commitment, and you get all the added benefits of a dialogue where three or more people can join in. It's way more social, and people are social animals.

I suspect this will be the case in most places that offer formal debates as well as forums. There seemed to be only a minority of active debaters on DDO as well.

• ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    I’m happy being an impartial debate judge right now.
    Lol.
  • Ramshutu
    Ramshutu avatar
    Ramshutu avatar
    Ramshutu
    --> @ethang5
    You still clinging to the idiotic lie that I never vote against the liberal or atheist position, despite having multiple examples of me doing just that rubbed in your face repeatedly?

Kinda hard to repeat that lie with a straight face when every response is wall of links showing just the votes you claim I never make!

• ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    You protest and insult a little too strongly for a guy with a wall of links in his favor. I checked your links, and found not only are you a ringer, you are a liar.

Throwing a conduct vote to a non-atheist while giving majority points to the atheist is not a "vote for" homer. But that is understandable, atheists need the cheat. Your position is poor and illogical as it is.

We also see who always votes in tandem with you. I have never called for any restrictions on you. Even with your cabal, theist and conservative debates have done well. Imagine how it would if the voting was fair?
  • Ramshutu
    Ramshutu avatar
    Ramshutu avatar
    Ramshutu
    --> @ethang5
    There’s only so much I can do, when I produce multiple links of me voting in favour of a conservative or theist position: and you ignore every link, post no evidence, and simply say “no, you still voted against the conservative”,I can’t really help you if you’re that biased and deluded you can’t even give up a lie when called out with evidence.

“This horse is a gift for how bravely you fought in the war”,
    Agamemnon, 2000bc 

“I see no ships”
    • Admiral Lord Nelson 1805

“I am not a crook”
    • Richard Nixon, 1973

“Tis but a flesh wound”
    • The Black Night, 1975

“I did not have sexual relations with that woman”
    • Bill Clinton, 1998

“There are no American Tanks in Baghdad”
    • Muhammad Saeed Al Sabah, 2003

“This was the biggest crowd to view an inauguration in history, period” 
    • Sean Spicer, 2016

“Ramshutu NEVER votes against the liberal/atheist position”
    • Ethang5, 2018

• Polytheist-Witch
    Polytheist-Witch avatar
    Forum posts: 1,932
    Polytheist-Witch avatar
    Polytheist-Witch
    Because the forums are where the word spread this place was open and most of those here are forum members. If you want more debaters close the forums. 
  • ethang5
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5 avatar
    ethang5
    --> @Ramshutu
    OK. You're as pure as the driven snow.

You so underestimated the gentle reader, that you thought no one would notice you were a ringer.

• Ramshutu
    Ramshutu avatar
    Ramshutu avatar
    Ramshutu
    --> @ethang5
    Yes. With my vote history clearly showing I vote for different ideological positions, and both for and against specific people, everyone can see that I’m definitely, definitely a ringer.

Keep trying to convince yourself though, it looks great.