Author: Mharman

Total: 55
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@Shila
Just checked your  win ration is even lower. It’s under 21%
That is because I fall into the low effort category. If you're going to try to make that ad hominem attack on me, then you should check your own profile first. Otherwise, it gives me the ability to check yours.

According to your profile, you haven't been in any debates yet. Using your own logic, it is reasonable to say that you have even less ground to stand on here.
Shila
Debates: 0
Shila
-->
@Mharman
--> @Shila
Just checked your  win ration is even lower. It’s under 21%
That is because I fall into the low effort category. If you're going to try to make that ad hominem attack on me, then you should check your own profile first. Otherwise, it gives me the ability to check yours. 

According to your profile, you haven't been in any debates yet. Using your own logic, it is reasonable to say that you have even less ground to stand on here.
It says I have not participated in any debates. It doesn’t say I lost the debates I participated in. In your case you lost the majority of  the debates you participated in.

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Shila
It says I have not participated in any debates. It doesn’t say I lost the debates I participated in. In your case you lost the majority of  the debates you participated in.
Again, because I gave little effort in those debates. Regardless, it is better experience than having no debates on record at all.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Mharman
--> @Shila
Again, because I gave little effort in those debates. Regardless, it is better experience than having no debates on record at all.
Losing 80% of the time need not be a bad experience if you prepare for it.
I have never lost a debate. That works too!

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Shila
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
I only very occasionally debate for fun.

I don't have the time to research and debate seriously.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
--> @Shila
I only very occasionally debate for fun.

I don't have the time to research and debate seriously.
I have never publicly debated. So I am not sure of the outcome.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
To debate publicly one needs to be knowledgeable, eloquent and have a certain amount of charisma.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@zedvictor4
I think that the human race is currently going through a rapid phase of devolution.

I agree. And all gradually and purposefully engineered over the last 50 years.
Shila
Shila
-->
@zedvictor4
--> @Shila
To debate publicly one needs to be knowledgeable, eloquent and have a certain amount of charisma.
How do I test for Charisma? 

thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
It depends on the point of view. From a certain point of view (mine) not only did she want to kill her child, she would willingly deny that child a mother and has “ptsd” because she had to take partial responsibility for her actions. In the other view, the leftist one, nothing at all matters but choice. Nobody has an obligation they don’t want to their child, or to a family member. There’s nothing wrong with choosing to kill your child in the womb simply because you don’t want it, or letting your child grow up without a parent and feel unwanted by their own mother because “choice” is valued above all else and duty/obligation/family etc don’t matter. 

I don’t really get worked up about abortion discourse because I think it’s strongest advocates are often telling on themselves when they act as if this is completely normal and acceptable or that something like late term abortion is okay. Of course they would probably think I’m telling on myself when I express my views. There’s no issue where the belief systems that motivate the positions are more irreconcilable I think 
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
Question for abortion advocates: assuming the story is true, would it have been better that the child was never born in order to spare the mothers PTSD?
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@thett3
The reason for abortions is often to protect the offspring from a life of being unwanted, neglected and worse abused.

There exists no 'safe' foster care method in most countries that even happen to have such a service (less developed nations even lack foster care and it's much more everyone out for themselves).
Mharman
Mharman
Alright, I have some time tonight so I'll out my thoughts on this matter.

At the start, she should've accepted responsibility for her actions and the child she and her boyfriend created. They should've gotten married and taken care of their child together. Given how children with both parents present in their upbringing tend to be happier and function better in society, it is the moral choice. From what I can tell, the relationship between the couple was soured over the argument surrounding the child, which should have never been an argument in the first place.

At the time of the Reddit post, things are a lot more complicated. The father had a divorce that we don't know the circumstances of, and a lot of time has passed since the couple had any relationship. For this reason, I can't say for certain that they should get back together and raise the daughter together. However, I still think the mother has a responsibility to her daughter. The moral choice is to accept partial custody of some kind.

Thing that sticks out to me here is that she didn't even want or care to see her daughter. She even demanded her name never be mentioned to her daughter. At that point, it really is just hateful and selfish. There is no justification for this.

I have seen arguments that this stance is uncompassionate towards people with PTSD, but it really doesn't have to be. Although PTSD is horrible and I would not wish it upon anyone, but there are ways to treat it without abandoning responsibilities. The argument of whether PTSD is undiagnosed, overdiagnosed, or neither can be held another day, but the truth in that issue doesn't change my thoughts here regardless.

I have also seen arguments that this stance is hypocritical given how pro-lifers are constantly arguing for adoption. If that argument includes me, it fails to understand why I (and likely many others) argue for adoption over abortion. I only argue for adoption if there is no way a person can be convinced to take care of their own child. It isn't an argument meant to convince them of the moral choice, but to simply an argument meant to convince them to avoid the worst choice. Sometimes, moral advocates have to take what they can get or they make the situation worse.

For that reason I will say this: If you absolutely will not take care of your own child, put them up for adoption. You would likely do more harm than good to your child if someone attempted to force you take care of them. Still, please try to improve yourself so that the idea of responsibility in this case doesn't repulse you.

The only other arguments in opposition to my stance I have seen are all pro-abortion arguments. Stuff like "a woman should not be forced to carry a child" and "children are saved from horrible futures by abortion" and all I can say to those are the typical anti-abortion arguments: You should've made the decision on pregnancy before having sex and you have no ability to say for certain what a future person's life is going to look like.

That about sums it up for me.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@thett3
"ptsd"
I do wonder about that. I've seen so many people claim "PTSD" over stuff that there is no sense in being traumatized by, but I have know way of knowing if that's the case here. The only way I can see it is if there was a severe complication that resulted in a near-death scenario. Perhaps that would be what got her the diagnosis she received, but I have know way of knowing that, either. It really is just a debate on the definition of PTSD.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Shila
Well, look up the definition of charisma and decide if you fit the bill.

You need to be able to charm the whole audience. Do you think you can do that?

Also, it's easier to present a written narrative than it is to deliver a fluent narrative.

Thoughts don't always flow from brain to mouth consistently.

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Certified OCD moment.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mharman
He changed it quickly enough to not cause the OCD  to be efected by  PTSD.   Thats OCDPTSD
I to do womder about the ptsd thing to hey Harmen? 

Hey but Here we are  Posting  about (  post )  traumatic stress.   O no. Ive post post TSD. 
Or something like that.  

Now i need to select the orange   (  create post. )  button. .   sooooo stressful. 
Now im creating the stuff.  

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
What the hell are you talking about? Please type like a normal person.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Traumatic stress. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Someone said post traumatic stress 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Traumatic stress