Voting Policy Is In Need Of A Rewrite

Author: Public-Choice

Total: 44
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
After two of my votes were reported and removed, I just figured I had no idea how voting worked on this site because I am newer and only ever voted on DDO. I figured with time I would figure it out and also had a lengthy conversation with whiteflame about how to properly vote on this site.

But now that Undefeatable, Oromagi, Vici, and others who have come to be known as staples on this website have also had their votes reported and removed, I am beginning to suspect that nobody on this site other than the mods can actually come away with understanding the voting policy clear enough to cast a proper vote for a debate.

I think a very straightforward, detailed rewriting of the Voter Policy covering what is and is not proper for each voting category -- based on a pre-defined, agreed-upon standard -- would make a HUGE difference and give mods time to engage in more pressing matters than constantly having to review and remove votes and then debate with users over whether there was vote manipulation from the removals or not and other things related to people casting their ballots.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Public-Choice
I’ve been under the impression that voting was always clear, even though I vote rarely. My vote has never been removed

You have to explain 4 things

Arguments
Spelling/Grammar
Sources
Conduct

In each you have to refer to both sides and justify why you’re giving the points.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ILikePie5
I am glad it is clear to you.

I just happened to see a LOT of votes removed lately and figured the voting policy isn't clear enough.

Maybe it is and the last couple weeks have been an anomaly. But I'm not sure.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Public-Choice
I am glad it is clear to you.

I just happened to see a LOT of votes removed lately and figured the voting policy isn't clear enough.

Maybe it is and the last couple weeks have been an anomaly. But I'm not sure.
I am unaware of your situation, but if you’d like me to vote in the future, DM me as soon as you finish the debate and keep reminding me. I’ll get to it eventually. It’ll be easier if the debate isn’t long
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@ILikePie5
Well just check out the last couple debates by RationalMadman, Novice_II, Oromagi, and others. There are a lot of vote removals going around currently.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice

This is one example of it.
RationalMadman
Debates: 565
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
Leave me out of this beef.

I am on the other side or wanting to change voting policy than you and the status quo both are.

What passes as a valid vote is a pisstake, you can twist it any way you want if you are smart enough or... eloquently dumb enough.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
I am not roping you into it. I am citing past events. It is true that you, of all people, have been very vocal over the voting policy's enforcement.

I don't necessarily think the problem is with the enforcing but rather the way the policy itself is written. So much of it is open to interpretation.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
Yes but I want it stricter, not less strict.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
Well I personally don't think it needs to be stricter. I just think the rules need to be clearer. The mods do a great job getting to votes and providing their reasons succinctly.

To me, the problem is that the Voter Policy is too vague to be enforced properly. So this could cause an APPEARANCE of a lack of strictness.

This is coming from watching about 10 votes being recently taken down, many by top debaters on this website. To me that says the policy is not clear enough to most people.
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@Public-Choice
After two of my votes were reported and removed, I just figured I had no idea how voting worked on this site because I am newer and only ever voted on DDO. I figured with time I would figure it out and also had a lengthy conversation with whiteflame about how to properly vote on this site.
I do hope that conversation was helpful. Based on the most recent vote of yours that was reported, I'd say you've got the idea at this point. I do apologize if my moderation has been opaque at times.

But now that Undefeatable, Oromagi, Vici, and others who have come to be known as staples on this website have also had their votes reported and removed,
I can speak to those. These are all voters who are well aware of how to vote on this site. Undefeatable and Oromagi, in particular, have produced many sufficient votes in the past. I don't mean to call any of them out, but the reports and removals are all publicly posted on those debates, so I'll reference those removals.

Both Vici and Undefeatable had the same problem: they took one side to task for a problem with their argument, but did not examine the side to which they awarded points. That's a common issue we see in a lot of votes, and it's stated in the voting policy:

"Weighing entails analyzing the relative strength of one argument or set of arguments and their impacts against another argument or set of arguments."

Weighing one side's arguments (or lack thereof) is insufficient because it doesn't assess the strength of the other side's arguments. Sometimes, this can be justified by talking about the burden of proof and showing that the side whose arguments you focus on failed to meet it, thus resulting in an automatic win for the other side, but even that requires engaging with more than just what one side did or failed to do, as you must discuss what is required to win the debate.

As for Oromagi's vote, that's a bit more complicated. It's not a lack of analysis, but rather how that analysis is skewed and his re-use of much of the same RFD on other debates between these two debaters. I get into more specifics in the removal:

I am beginning to suspect that nobody on this site other than the mods can actually come away with understanding the voting policy clear enough to cast a proper vote for a debate.
While there are certainly people who struggle with the voting policy and how to produce a sufficient vote (not trying to take a jab at anyone here), I will say that not all of those cases are the result of issues understanding the process of casting a proper vote. Like I said, all three of these voters know how to cast a sufficient vote, so whether they understand it isn't necessarily what is at issue with regards to these votes. Based on the wide variety of votes on the site that I've read (whether because they've been reported or out of interest), I would say that there are a good number of people who understand the voting policy well enough to cast consistently sufficient votes. I know that only speaks to a small minority of the membership of the site, since there aren't many people who vote often, but it's certainly more than "nobody".

I think a very straightforward, detailed rewriting of the Voter Policy covering what is and is not proper for each voting category -- based on a pre-defined, agreed-upon standard -- would make a HUGE difference and give mods time to engage in more pressing matters than constantly having to review and remove votes and then debate with users over whether there was vote manipulation from the removals or not and other things related to people casting their ballots.
This wouldn't be the first time we've considered doing this. Part of the problem with producing a really detailed voting policy is that most people just don't tend to read a longer document. We tried that on DDO when I was the voting moderator, and it didn't yield much more than complaints about its length. It also should be noted that any such policy, no matter how detailed, will not be exhaustive and many decisions will still be made in the margins because votes don't always fit neatly into categories we've seen before. That being said, if there's sufficient interest in getting a detailed version of the voting policy out there, we could work on that. At minimum, I'd be willing to work up a list of examples (I won't put names to them) of votes that we commonly see and remove, along with a clear set of reasons why they are removed, as a reference.

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
We tried that on DDO when I was the voting moderator, and it didn't yield much more than complaints about its length.
Well if doesn't have to be a million pages long. The current one is kinda long, too. Specificity does not entail extreme length.

The Swedish are a very specific people, but they are also really brief when speaking.

I am just saying that maybe something along the lines of a "how-to" style that also lists straightforward rules would be more straightforward than what is currently there.

The original U.S. Constitution was only 9 pages, but it created a government for an entire country and inspired many other countries to follow suit. So certainly we could craft a more straightforward and detailed Vote Policy in 3 pages or less. It could even just be straightforward rules listed succinctly for each of the 5 categories.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
Personally, I a bit prefer high quantity low quality votes,
Over high quality no quantity votes.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Public-Choice
Speaking as someone who has written and edited these before, it's likely to be substantial. The current form of the voting policy is, in my opinion, the short version. What you're asking for is more detailed and specific than what currently exists and, while that would be straightforward, it would also require numerous examples and explanations. Even during our conversation about what we expect to be included in an RFD, it was clear that just giving a list of items that must be included and a list of what cannot be present isn't enough to clarify everything, particularly when it comes to awarding argument points. While I'd love to have the word economy of the US founding fathers or the brevity of the Swedes, I am overly verbose. By now, everyone on this site should be fully aware of that given how long my RFDs often are. So, if you're asking for such a document, expect a lengthy result.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@whiteflame
I could write it.  
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Public-Choice
Appreciate the thought, but it will have to be written by moderation.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
That arrogance is why it stays flawed.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@RationalMadman
It's not arrogant for the moderation team to be the ones who write moderation voting policy. Having someone else attempt to generate their own version of it would likely lead to a variety of disjoints between how moderation sees it and how the writer sees it. I'll welcome input on what we put out, but it is moderation policy we're talking about here, not sure why you'd want someone else to write it.

All this, of course, assumes that we're going to proceed with writing it. So far, only Public-Choice has expressed an interest. Are others also interested in having voting policy written up in more detail?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@whiteflame
I will only participate and take the bait here after the more important MEEP separating the entertainer role from the moderation-balancer role and tweaking to make it harder for mods to just veto the president's decision (and wave it away) are done.

I am actually not necessarily running this year at all, the role as it is is worthless.

After that, maybe we can finally enact the History subforum's implementation.

You will find that responsiveness from leadership and admin and proactiveness from userbase are a snowball yin and yang type thing. The less you reciprocate, the deader the site becomes. I am saying this noting that the site became much more alive literally in the past 2 weeks because Supadudz, yourself and Barney are suddenly very active and are pushing events that get activity going.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@whiteflame
Having someone else attempt to generate their own version of it
To be clear I wasn't suggesting that. I was merely suggesting to offer my services as a writer to help the moderation team draft a new policy. I wouldn't be doing all the creative work myself. I would simply write the finished product after the moderation team decides what they wanted.

And of course revisions and such as necessary during the writing process.
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Public-Choice
Ah, that wasn’t clear from your initial response. Sure, we can do that.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@whiteflame
Well, in my OP I was simply suggesting a rewrite. When I offered to do it, I figured the moderation team or site creator(s) was going to tell me what should be in it. I mean, I'd have to be pretty prideful to suggest I should be writing voting policy for a website that I haven't even moderated for yet lol.

So my offer as it stands currently is to write the new policy that the moderation team constructs in a straightforward yet brief way so that any average person with a 5th grade reading level could understand and apply it.

To do this, I'd need to be able to communicate with all of you in a group chat of some sort, I think.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Public-Choice
Well, in my OP I was simply suggesting a rewrite. When I offered to do it, I figured the moderation team or site creator(s) was going to tell me what should be in it.

So my offer as it stands currently is to write the new policy that the moderation team constructs in a straightforward yet brief way so that any average person with a 5th grade reading level could understand and apply it.
You’re more than welcome to write up a policy to have it put for a vote via MEEP. Let me know if you want me to look at it from an outside perspective considering I vote, but not as often
whiteflame
whiteflame
-->
@Public-Choice
Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

We’re talking about putting in a good deal of work here on all our parts, and while it makes sense in concept, so far, you’re the only one to express an interest in a detailed voting policy. We’d need to get more than just your support for doing this before we proceed.

We can discuss specific details of the process after we’ve determined that.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@whiteflame
I agree with you.
Vici
Debates: 11
Vici
-->
@Public-Choice
After two of my votes were reported and removed, I just figured I had no idea how voting worked on this site because I am newer and only ever voted on DDO
yup this is apparent 
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Public-Choice
The original U.S. Constitution was only 9 pages, but it created a government for an entire country
It is extremely generous to say that the Constitution single-handedly created a government for an entire country. While it laid out the foundations of how Congress, the President, and Supreme Court would (and wouldn't) act and be appointed/elected, the majority of actual government infrastructure remained at a state level for a long time, with most continuing to act as they had before. In fact, all of the 13 states had constitutions by 1780, or continued to use the wording of their colonial charters, which in the case of Connecticut, the first version of which dated back 150 years before the adoption of the U.S. Constitution by 1789.
The vast majority of the governmental structure such as the lower courts, the post office, taxes, and other existing institutions, as well as ones yet to exist, such as the Air Force, were not written in the Constitution.
It is incredibly  bare-bones, to the point that reading it tells you very little of how the US government actually functions outside of a middle school level overview.
Saying that the Voting Policy could/should be like the US Constitution is absurd and not a good thing.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Public-Choice
Yep, popular whingers will get votes removed.

And one is expected to write a dissertation, as if everyone has the time to do so.

Which is why I don't bother to vote.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Vici
The mods liked my vote. 
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Public-Choice

But now that Undefeatable, Oromagi, Vici, and others who have come to be known as staples on this website have also had their votes reported and removed, I am beginning to suspect that nobody on this site other than the mods can actually come away with understanding the voting policy clear enough to cast a proper vote for a debate.

this is a MAJOR PROBLEM

and why i don't participate in the debating system