Voting Policy Is In Need Of A Rewrite

Author: Public-Choice

Total: 44
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@K_Michael
It is incredibly  bare-bones, to the point that reading it tells you very little of how the US government actually functions outside of a middle school level overview.
I thoroughly disagree. The military is succinctly covered under Article II in the necessary powers clause and in Article III.

Furthermore, the document does explain what all the branches of government are, what their functions and roles are, and therefore how one is to understand how they implement said roles.

For instance, to find out more about the Army, I wouldn't go to the Supreme Court. The Constitution tells me precisely which department the Army is under.

But I'd also argue your point is a straw man. You are equivocating adherence of policy with the policy itself. No document in existence tells people everything they can and cannot do in adherence to a policy. No such policy has been drafted and seriously considered by any mass of people. The Constitution is therefore no different.

A document merely explains how the process works and key things that will and will not be allowed. It does not make any claims as to every waking duty that every person should perform. To suggest otherwise is to completely rewrite the definition of policy.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Public-Choice
I could write it.  
please give it a shot

and then we might be able to MEEP it
Ehyeh
Debates: 31
Ehyeh
i think public choice should be a mod. I think they would do a really good job of it. 
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@Ehyeh
I appreciate the support, but I am too new to the site to really be competent enough to take over mod duties. Maybe after I've been on the site for longer and I get a better lay of the land it could happen.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Public-Choice
For instance, to find out more about the Army, I wouldn't go to the Supreme Court. The Constitution tells me precisely which department the Army is under.
The constitution details what branch the Army belongs to, but little else. There is nothing about the everyday operation, the training of troops, hierarchical structure under the President, discipline, safety standards, contracts for military equipment, or basically any other detail of how this part of the government actually runs. A voting policy this vague and undetailed would merely outline the appointment of moderators and their powers, and the process for devising new rules. The Bill of Rights could be analogized as the very basic rules such as no doxxing, moderators can't moderate their own debates, but it simply doesn't cover everything. Think of how many things it is illegal to do that aren't in the Constitution. It's a lot.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@K_Michael
Well by your conception of a voter Policy we might as well tell people which devices to use when voting and how to press the keyboard and which type of English dialect to use.

The Constitution has worked for 246 years. People don't need a Les Miserables Voting Policy. Just a concise yet adequate list of dont's and some tips for voting well. Sort of like a Steinbeck novel. Short and sweet and fulfilling.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Public-Choice
The Constitution has worked for 246 years.
It has worked in conjunction with the rest of the government, not by itself.

we might as well tell people which devices to use when voting and how to press the keyboard and which type of English dialect to use.
I'm not saying that the Voting Policy should be as bureaucratic as the full U.S. Government either, but a Constitution level of detail would be insufficient.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@K_Michael
all debate votes boil down to pure, uncut, personal opinion

pretending otherwise is simply ridiculous
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@3RU7AL
all debate votes boil down to pure, uncut, personal opinion
Personal opinion of who won? Yes.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@3RU7AL
Well, if there were 'no rules to voting, yes,
'Some rules though require one justify their vote, which becomes more difficult, depending on the rules and how greatly an argument strays from the rules.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Lemming
Well, if there were 'no rules to voting, yes,
'Some rules though require one justify their vote, which becomes more difficult, depending on the rules and how greatly an argument strays from the rules.
i've been told "the-RFD-rules" are to designed to "prove" someone "read the entire debate" and has "good-reasons" for identifying "key-points"

the whole thing is just layers of opinion on top of layers of opinion

and the lack of perfectly-clear guidelines (or a form of some kind) discourages participation
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@K_Michael
Personal opinion of who won? Yes.
exactly
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@3RU7AL
Personally I tend to find myself confused by considering 'every argument and word,
Feels a bit like retyping the entire debate,
And I'm a person who thinks too much at times, so becomes burden, for me.

I don't mind 'some RFD myself, to prevent vote bombing by cheaters or biased individuals who didn't read or admit any arguments by those they disagree with.

Other than thinking too much,
Bug reasons I don't vote are,
Somehow I find the debate word layout more difficult to read on DART, than on DDO,
Also people talk a lot sometimes, lot to read through,

Though some debates worth reading, even though lengthy.

Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@K_Michael
It has worked in conjunction with the rest of the government, not by itself.
Yes, just like how a voting policy will work in conjunction with people voting and mods moderating. 

We already have a moderator policy and a user policy. This is equivalent to different departments of government making their own policies. We just need a short voting policy akin to the brevity of the Constitution. The rest is already covered, much like in government currently.