Read-only
Total: 85
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@DebateArt.com
@Vaarka
Can you make announcement links or PM links clickable?

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@drafterman
Understanding that Castin informing the userbase of violations isn't actually a punishment, is it reasonable to infer, then, that there isn't a punishment for just ignoring Castin (purely hypothetical of course, as Castin is extremely unlikely to disagree with you).
That is a reasonable inference, but no one but Mike can really "punish" moderation in that sense.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Castin
Everyone already posts naked, FREE YOUR MIND.
I know I do.

drafterman
Debates: 6
drafterman
-->
@bsh1
Then I'm not sure I understand the point of this theater.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@drafterman
The point is exactly as was described to you. 
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
-->
@Vaarka
Can you make announcement links or PM links clickable?
I could try at some point but it's tricky and could take quite some time. I apologize for the inconvenience :(
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@drafterman
Obviously someone is into cyber sex, she puts out.  
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
MOTHERFUCKER DO NOT CALL CASTIN A SLUT; unless it's for me.

Seriously though, what the fuck are you implying, bsh1 is homosexual and Castin has class.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@RationalMadman
Nope 
Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
-->
@drafterman
Diversity of philosophy... now that's a forced diversity I can get behind.
Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
mods are gay
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ethang5
Just someone else she can makes excuses for. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Castin
Didn't you once spray paint the halls of DID in defiance of the idea of assistant moderation? Oh well at least we don't have some fool that wants the job. You cannot trust people who want authority.
David
Debates: 92
David
-->
@Mharman
mods are gay

can confirm 
Castin
Castin
-->
@David
mods are gay

can confirm 
roflmao

Castin
Castin
-->
@drafterman
I agree with that appearance, but I don't believe she would have chosen if there was less than the remotest possibility that this would be realized.

What the mod team needs is diversity of philosophy at the highest level.
bish is a pompous arsehole. There, did that help? C'mon. It did a little, didn't it. Didn't it, draft. A little bit. I'll say it again: bish -- pompous arsehole. Oh ho, it just helped a bit more didn't it! Yesss... admit it... admiiiiiiiiit iiiiiiiiiiit... I have tickled your soft underbelly... your defenses crumble before me...

Honestly, I've been on bish's side of things on many site matters, so yeah I can certainly see where you're coming from. I've also been sympathetic with some of your points and witnessed what I considered to be legitimate criticism of moderation. I'll be looking at things from everyone's perspective and coming to my own judgment. Wait and see and bitch if necessary.

A reserve mod who only has authority in special cases definitely shouldn't be taken as an addition to the mod team at the highest level. Personally I'd welcome any willing and qualified member to the mod team, but I don't know what your idea of "diversity of philosophy" is exactly.
Castin
Castin
-->
@ethang5
@secularmerlin
@RationalMadman
Bummed that I have nothing really to complain about.
Read ya loud and clear, man. LOUD and clear. Message received.

Didn't you once spray paint the halls of DID in defiance of the idea of assistant moderation? Oh well at least we don't have some fool that wants the job. You cannot trust people who want authority.
It's the policy of this administration that everything becomes cool and acceptable if and when I do it.

But yeah, I definitely was not enthused at the prospect of even part time authority.

MOTHERFUCKER DO NOT CALL CASTIN A SLUT; unless it's for me.

Seriously though, what the fuck are you implying, bsh1 is homosexual and Castin has class.
Poly can call me whatever she likes. I'm flattered that she so frequently considers me worthy of her attention.
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Castin
Honestly, I've been on bish's side of things on many site matters, so yeah I can certainly see where you're coming from. I've also been sympathetic with some of your points and witnessed what I considered to be legitimate criticism of moderation.
Not - I feel - where it matters. Consider that in a discussion about my motives (of which I am the only person to speak knowledgeably) you decided to defer to bsh1 rather than me.

Personally I'd welcome any willing and qualified member to the mod team,
Unfortunately, bsh1 and Mike are content to let bsh1 have singular reign over the site.

but I don't know what your idea of "diversity of philosophy" is exactly. 
At the moment, I'd be happy with any member of the mod team that didn't just parrot bsh1's words and philosophy on all matters.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@ethang5
He is a progressive liberal, as such, his morality is based on what he personally likes. That means to him, people who do not share his socio-political views are not just wrong, they are immoral.

He honestly believes he is doing the moral and just thing when he asserts his personal desire. For him, what he desires is indistinguishable from what is moral.

“Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which the human ego defends itself against unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others. For example, a person who is habitually rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude. It incorporates blame shifting.”.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
In reality, I have not seen Bsh1 rule one single way invariably, or for one single person invariably, and the fact that everyone seems pissed off at him is probably an excellent indication of how fair he actually is. 

As long as the rules are enforced in a consistent way,  there’s not normally a problem - and the very fact that bsh and others have accepted the possibility that another moderator is required to defeat the perception of impropriety indicates to me that things are at least heading in the right direction for the right reasons.

if Bsh was an asshole (or at least further up on the asshole spectrum, outer-starfish?) this thread wouldn’t exist.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Ramshutu
and the very fact that bsh and others have accepted the possibility that another moderator is required to defeat the perception of impropriety indicates to me that things are at least heading in the right direction for the right reasons.
Or they possess an average enough level of sense to understand that perception drives the conversation. Notice the implicit concession in the wording here: this defeats the "perception" of impropriety but certainly lacks any teeth to defeat any actuality of impropriety.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@drafterman
It’s not a concession - 99.9999% of the time there is no impropriety and malefeasance - just a tonne if drama generated because one or more individuals don’t like a decision, or the feel the rules are unfair and perceive it to be malefeasance and won’t shut up arguing it.

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Ramshutu
Dude, you literally have the mods asking the site owner to gain access to user PMs.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Castin
Being that you are an attention whore what else would one think.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Ramshutu
They should have made you a mod you fit the excuse making bs they mods live by. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@drafterman
Dude, you literally have the mods asking the site owner to gain access to user PMs.
He knows. The thief who is successfully breaking into houses always thinks the police are doing a great job patrolling.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@drafterman
Wait, you mean that evil, horrible example of  a moderator, had a valid hypothetical situation which could only be resolved if PMs were accessible to mods in limited situations put the issue of moderator access to the community and explicitly understood the issue the community would have should they fundamentally object, and abided by the community decision.

Yeah: the guy is basically Stalin....

drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Ramshutu
Wait, you mean that evil, horrible example of  a moderator, had a valid hypothetical situation which could only be resolved if PMs were accessible to mods in limited situations put the issue of moderator access to the community and explicitly understood the issue the community would have should they fundamentally object, and abided by the community decision.
No, I don't mean that. There was no "valid hypothetical situation." In fact, there exists no possible hypothetical situation where random mods need access to PMs. The very idea should have been killed in its infancy and whoever suggested it removed from mod-ship.

Yeah: the guy is basically Stalin....
Seems like some people wouldn't care unless he was literally Stalin.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@drafterman
The mod has a scenario which could only be meaningfully resolved if they could see PMs. That much is true, regardless of how you want to interpret the word valid. 

You may may not feel, that this would be a valid scenario for some level PM access (and hell it could have meant access granted by the owner by the sender or recipient - but that’s an aside), but I think it’s fairly clear that’s not what I meant.

Now onto to the straw man: you are confused, my objection to your histrionic toy throwing, and claims of some outlandish abuse of power is because these claims are in the face of a moderation team who solicit opinion, act upon the conclusions of popular opinion and have generally engaged more with the community about regulation and policing than any other community forum I’ve seen, made by a moderation team I’ve frequently seen come down on multiple sides depending on the circumstances, all claimed by someone who is obviously over spinning and over hyping his claims, and whose last major objection to a particular moderator decision was to oppose a change that got him caught abusing the system previously.

The issue is, that in both the specific and general examples: I dont realistically expect human moderators to be more open, or reasonable than they have been, and your continued hyperbolic “sky is falling” drama is spinning even the most reasonable or trivial of actions way out of proportion.

Get a nice paper bag, take a few deep breaths, and calm down
If 
drafterman
drafterman
-->
@Ramshutu
All you describe is the fact that the are apt at manipulating public perceptions, which I agree. But the mere fact that they asked for this ability is disturbing, regardless of the fact that they decided to present it for public comment first.

Remember that doing that is voluntary and not done for all changes. And it's abundantly clear that they are not as squeeky clean as you (and others) make them out to be.

If you think I am broadcasting these issues to a greater degree than is warranted, consider that it's a natural reaction when the concerns aren't addressed.

They certainly won't get addressed if I simply shut up. Not that I hold out hope that they'll ever get addressed.