Author: Mharman

Total: 47
Public-Choice
Debates: 18
Public-Choice
-->
@Mharman
So I have a few questions lol

How does this work? Like, do we play the entire game in this forum thread? Do I have to download an app? Is it in Discord?

I have played Mafia in person but how long do we have for discussions?

Will this be weeks long or done in a few hours?

When does it start?
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Public-Choice
So I have a few questions lol

How does this work? Like, do we play the entire game in this forum thread? Do I have to download an app? Is it in Discord?
Yes, a dedicated forum thread will be created. Everyone can post in the thread. Votes can be put on or taken off of people at anytime. However if the majority threshold is reached at anytime and you take your vote off, the person is still lynched.

However, the mafia are generally able to talk together via Discord. So you’ll have to give your discord to Mharman and he will add himself and you to a server for the game. There y’all can strategize.

I have played Mafia in person but how long do we have for discussions?
Thread is generally open for 48-72 hours depending on the mod and how far we are in the game.

Will this be weeks long or done in a few hours?

When does it start?
It will start when 7 people signup. You’re welcome to look at past games. There’s an archive. The most recent game was a couple months ago. If you want to play, we can probably hydra together (we both can talk only to each other via PMs, but we both can post)

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
I'm teaching highschool this year so I won't have as much time.
How’s the CRT goin
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Lol, just because I check boxes doesn't mean the kids get to hear shit.
Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
-->
@Public-Choice
How does this work?

Also, I will warn you that forum mafia is far more complex than a typical party mafia game. Since mafia communities can thrive for years, they will also develop their own play styles and recurring themes in setups. With this development comes the invention of new roles. And now that communities are borrowing roles from each other more and more, there are hundreds of different roles that could show up in any given game. Some roles may have different names, and the same name may be used to describe different roles sometimes.

Here's Drafterman's (old DDO user) list of roles. It's simpler and easier to follow than the other two: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W1E0aQ44NuOrtdmualpAotloDjlvyeE7cB30Wle1cuY/edit

This one is the MafiaUniverse Wiki. If Drafterman's list is a bookshelf, this would be a library: https://www.mafiauniverse.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Roles&pageuntil=ITA+Trainer#mw-pages

And finally here's the MafiaScum Wiki. It's like the other wiki, but it has a few roles the other doesn't, and vice versa: https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Category:All_roles_and_modifiers

Now, you might be thinking it's too much to keep track of, but don't worry. With this variety comes a lot of roles and combinations of roles that are horribly unbalanced. So most of these roles are extremely rare in games. A few are extremely common. Typically, you can deduce what roles are in the game from what other roles you know are present.

For example, if you're Town and you see that your role is Cop (a very common role), you can deduce the Mafia has some role that can counter it, (like Godfather or Lawyer), or Town has role that nerfs it (like Miller). Sometimes, a mod will make the game interesting by using a more rare counter (like Fog), throwing players of both factions off the trail. Or a mod will sometimes use a rarer counter if the standard counter doesn't work as well for that game. But the rare roles are typically used sparingly in a game, so don't get paranoid in a game if you get caught off-guard by something.

Like, do we play the entire game in this forum thread?
Yes.

Do I have to download an app? Is it in Discord?
Sometimes you may need to use Discord. Back in the days of DDO mafia you didn't, but that's no longer the case since this site doesn't have group PMs. Since Group PMs are gone, Discord is used for the Mafia team PM, and Mason PMs if applicable.

I have played Mafia in person but how long do we have for discussions? Will this be weeks long or done in a few hours?
It's kind of arbitrary, but since this is all done online and not everyone can be active at the same time, DPs (Day Phases) usually take about three days. Some can last a week, though. As a mod, I wouldn't recommend making DPs that long; you'd be hard-pressed to find any mod that would. Week-long DPs really only exist when several time extensions are granted for special circumstances.

For this game, I'm going to go with the standard three days. One-day time extensions may be granted sometimes.

NPs (Night Phases) will be 24 hours. 12 extensions may be granted sometimes.

Of course, those are just time limits. DPs can end earlier if a lynch is reached earlier, and NPs can end earlier if all players with possible night actions submit their night actions earlier.

When does it start?
I'll post the DP1 thread shortly after the sign-ups list is full.
RationalMadman
Debates: 561
RationalMadman
-->
@Mharman
Okay let me hardcarry town or scum even though I post less
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
If RM is in, I am hard in.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@RationalMadman
@Greyparrot
done.
Mharman
Mharman
Players:
1. Pie
2. Supa
3. Whiteflame
4. That2
5. Earth
6. RationalMadman
7. Greyparrot

Replacements:
1. Barney

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Public-Choice
Sign-ups just got filled.  You are free to watch the game and may also become a replacement later if you so desire.
Mharman
Mharman
Role PMs will be sent sometime tomorrow morning.
Mharman
Mharman
Aight, randomizing roles...
Mharman
Mharman
Randomization complete. Sending out Role PMs.
Mharman
Mharman
Role PMS sent. Creating DP1 thread.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@ILikePie5
@Mharman
I don't really have the time for mafia. Sorry.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@SirAnonymous
That's fine, I got the players I needed. If you're down to replace if needed later on, let me know.
Mharman
Mharman
DP1 thread created. Posting thread and starting DP1 now.