Proposal to change the sites official language

Author: PREZ-HILTON

Total: 76
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
I think we need to consider making the official language of the site esperanto. Listen to why.

1. It is an international language that is easy to learn and neutral. 

2. The requirement to learn a second language will keep lower IQ people off of the site, not completely but more effective than the current barriers of entry.

3. Esperanto based debate site, will draw in esperanto speakers growing the site and giving us more debaters.

4. The site will have a more even balance of liberals and conservatives seeing as how most people attracted to esperanto are filthy commies.

5 the language can be learned in less than 6 months with minimal effort

I think the official language should change on June 6th to give every current user plenty of time to learn it. Anyone speaking in English after June 6 2023 should be permanently banned
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Except...this will keep away more users than draw in. Almost no major site deliberately talks in Esperanto, not Facebook, not Youtube. Most people aren't here to learn a language, they are just here to talk, to hang around.

More than that, using an unfamiliar language will make logic more difficult to be accurate in arguments, votes, etc, effectively halting progress. I can learn fluent English in 2 years, but it is not until much much later that I read works by philosophers. More than that, exactly HOW MANY PHILOSOPHICAL WORKS ARE TRANSLATED INTO ESPERANTO?

Accept it. This site is already habitually English. Given our site is already unpopular AF, changing the official language will do nothing but to be an impedance to our goal to be popular.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@DebateArt.com
Implement a thumbs down button so I can say fuck you without being rude about it please. 
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Intelligence_06
Except...this will keep away more users than draw in. 
It should keep. Away more users than it draws in. However I have argued why it would grow the user base. 

More than that, using an unfamiliar language will make logic more difficult to be accurate 
That's why I have advocated people familiarizing themselves with the language. I think it would take the average user here 6 months to learn enough to debate using it, assuming one hour of active learning per day.

HOW MANY PHILOSOPHICAL WORKS ARE TRANSLATED INTO ESPERANTO?
A lot actually, but it isn't necessary. Just provide citations to publications in your native language and translate the portion of text you are using into esperanto. Your opponent is free to use Google translate 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Bona ideo.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@zedvictor4
Dankon
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Bonan matenon Wylted havu bonan tagon.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Yeah. While English is the lingua franca of the world, we're going to start speaking Esperanto.

Btw, nothing is stopping you from holding debates in Esperanto if you want to, or even making forum posts in Esperanto.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
It should keep. Away more users than it draws in. However I have argued why it would grow the user base. 
Given the number of Esperanto speakers vs. English, pretty sure the net flow is external.

That's why I have advocated people familiarizing themselves with the language. I think it would take the average user here 6 months to learn enough to debate using it, assuming one hour of active learning per day.
What is your sample? Control? I genuinely do not believe that I can debate like Intelligence_06 in English in Esperanto in 6 months of learning. My level of debating was thanks to me learning English since I was little, not rushing for 6 months.

If you think you are that smart, you are a genius. If you think we should be smart like that, oh sorry, we are stupid. At least I am.
A lot actually, but it isn't necessary. Just provide citations to publications in your native language and translate the portion of text you are using into esperanto. Your opponent is free to use Google translate 
That defeats the entire purpose. Most sources are written in English. If you have to translate sources that are English anyways, and the majority of the user base uses English, why not just keep using it?

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Public-Choice
Yeah. While English is the lingua franca of the world, we're going to start speaking Esperanto.

I literally dropped out on the 9th grade. I have no ideal what lingua franca means
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Public-Choice
Okay I just googled it. Before English it was French, before that it was Spanish. 

Esperanto is more fair, easier to learn and not the result of conialism 
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Well if Esperanto ever becomes the lingua franca of the world then we can all speak Esperanto. But for now it is English.

I tried learning Esperanto when I was a kid and I don't hate it. I just don't have the time these days to devote to learning a language just so I can debate people lol.

And I think most others feel the same way.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Wylted
Even if we implemented this, most people would just use google translate or some similar service, or worse, leave the site altogether. We already have less than a hundred active users, this would probably kill the site.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@K_Michael
Tute serioze.
RationalMadman
Debates: 568
RationalMadman
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Mi pli frue iĝus transgenra nur por havi lesban sekson kun via eks kaj sendi al vi filmeton pri ĝi ol subteni ĉi tiun politikon.
ComputerNerd
Debates: 15
ComputerNerd
-->
@Wylted
Al la nova uzanto, kiu ne havas ideon pri la regulo, ĉi tiu retejo aspektus malpli kiel bonveniga debatforumo, sed hazarda, obskura eksterlanda retejo.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
@ComputerNerd
@RaciaFrenezulo
@KomputilaNerdo

Sajnas kapti.
PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
Guys AI don't actually know esperanto but I will work on translating that stuff later. That's one of the reasons I suggested it, I didn't want a head start over the rest of the site
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
Plej multaj nur tradukos vian al 'catch' sed mi komprenis la 'catch on' ĉar mi estas traduka plancerbo. ;)
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
Mi pli frue iĝus transgenra nur por havi lesban sekson kun via eks kaj sendi al vi filmeton pri ĝi ol subteni ĉi tiun politikon.
😂

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Public-Choice
;) upvote if you like btw, that is the tradition here.
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
Ĉi KLARE estas kiel estiminda debatretejo devus esti funkciigata. Mi ne povas kredi, ke mi ne rimarkis tion pli frue.Estas EVIDENTE, ke Esperanto estas la sola lingvo por debatoj!!
Public-Choice
Public-Choice
-->
@RationalMadman
upvote if you like btw, that is the tradition here.
Mi forgesis.
Elliott
Debates: 0
Elliott
Having just done a quick bit of research about 293,200 people speak Esperanto as opposed to 1.5 billion who speak English. So probably not going to encourage a rush of new members.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
GPT-3 can translate. Bolded is prompt, unbolded is GPT-3's output.
Translate "this is an AI's attempt at translating into Esperanto. And API tools can hook up to translation services anyways." into Esperanto
Result: Ĉi tio estas provo de AI traduki en Esperanton. Kaj API iloj povas konektiĝi al tradukservoj ĉiuokaze.
Similarly, it can follow prompts in Esperanto.
Rakontu al mi la historion de Sokrato en Esperanto. Rezulto: Sokrato estis greka filozofo kiu vivis en Ateno dum la 5-a kaj 4-a jarcentoj a.K. Sokrato estis verŝajne la plej fama el la antikvaj filozofoj, kaj lian vivon kaj pensojn oni priskribas en la libro "La Atenaĵoj" de Platono. Sokrato ne skribis librojn, kaj tial oni scias pri li precipe per la priskriboj de Platono kaj aliaj. Sokrato estis tre malsama de la aliaj filozofoj de sia epoko. Li ne interesiĝis pri la naturo aŭ la ĉielo, sed pri la homa animo kaj ĝiaj potencoj. Sokrato diris, ke oni ne povas scii, kio estas vero, sed ke oni povas atingi veron per diskuto kaj reflektado.

PREZ-HILTON
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Elliott
Having just done a quick bit of research about 293,200 people speak Esperanto as opposed to 1.5 billion who speak English. So probably not going to encourage a rush of new members.
That is a terrible way to judge it. People that speak it are hungry to be around others who speak it because it is rare, so of the billions of English speakers nearly 0% are on the site. However esperanto speakers while low in number I believe people who are active in the community say 100000 would come at a rate of about 10% 

Elliott
Elliott
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
That is a terrible way to judge it. People that speak it are hungry to be around others who speak it because it is rare, so of the billions of English speakers nearly 0% are on the site. However esperanto speakers while low in number I believe people who are active in the community say 100000 would come at a rate of about 10% 
Given the argument that the small number of people who speak Esperanto, because of its rarity would be attracted to this forum so to be able to communicate with others in that language.

Using that argument you could equally change the sites official language to Cornish, it is thought that only between 8,000 and 13,000 speak that.
Shila
Shila
The Bible is available in Esperanto so Christians will not be affected by the language change.
But I can see Atheists protesting. Having the site bombarded with protest over language will be no different than the current protests against religion.
Elliott
Elliott
-->
@Shila
The Bible is available in Esperanto so Christians will not be affected by the language change.
That only works if all Christians understand Esperanto and I’m pretty sure that they don’t.
Shila
Shila
-->
@Elliott
--> @Shila
That only works if all Christians understand Esperanto and I’m pretty sure that they don’t
If Christians can learn about God, they can surely learn Esperanto. The same cannot be said about Atheists.