Analysis of a Controversial Ad from America First Legal

Author: thett3

Total: 44
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
Most of the things Biden says ire incomprehensible and easy to dismiss as whimsical streams of consciousness, but on this issue, Biden has repeated over and over his condescending concerns for a race he sees as inferior and requiring government intervention for equity based on the color of skin.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@thett3
Also, leftists are the ones shaming and intimidating white people for having the audacity to complain about….being denied medical care and disaster relief aid on the basis of race.
Oh comeon, lets be honest here, they also shame black people for having the audacity to complain about policies based on skin color, including Justice Thomas. Leftists don't actually care about the sanctity skin color if it threatens their power or ideology.
thett3
Debates: 2
thett3
-->
@Greyparrot
Oh comeon, lets be honest here, they also shame black people for having the audacity to complain about policies based on skin color, including Justice Thomas. Leftists don't actually care about the sanctity skin color if it threatens their power or ideology.
They definitely have very strong opinions on what “role” people should play and get very angry whenever anyone steps out of that 
cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@thett3
Academically inclined Asians gotta check their privilege!

I can see the potential benefits of higher education being diverse, but I think our understanding of the word “diversity” needs to be more diverse as well. Why must it mean chiefly black and brown people who relatively underperform?

By the time students who need AA get to college age, our education system— or their parents, or their life circumstances, etc.— have already failed them. These shortcomings don’t get magically fixed in college. Too often, AA students drop out and with a hefty college debt— a worst case scenario, imo. They often major in soft studies such as African American Studies, Rhetoric and Communications, International Relations, etc. These pursuits don’t help a kid get ahead in life…

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@thett3
 can lead to rage-envy. 
Might be an uncommon opinion, but I am a firm believer that envy is the primary factor leading to different populations in the US hating each other. Envy leads to feels of inferiority, which leads to hatred of others better than you and desire to bring them down. One of the most natural human emotions and incredibly destructive.

And it really harms people of their group who deserve to be there because nobody can tell who got in by merit and who got in through affirmative action. Progressives make all of this fuss about studies that show “black” sounding names on resumes get fewer callbacks. Personally I think there’s probably a large class issue there beyond race (somehow I doubt Bubba or Billy-Bob would do well either) 
Exactly, this is something that I have seen brought up before and has never been addressed by any study that I am aware of. Employers dislike names that are associated with low class people. That means these, shall we say "unique" black names, but it would also apply to Billy Bob, Brandy, and other similar low-class white names as well.

affirmative action and diversity policies make this behavior ECONOMICALLY RATIONAL. A black guy with Harvard and McKinsey on his resume isn’t the same as an asian guy with Harvard and McKinsey on his resume. He just isn’t. 
Precisely, when an institution no longer has any inherent merit, you will need to use other means to sort through the hundreds of different job applicants. This creates a very precarious situation for people with parents that chose weird names but the kid is actually very smart. There is always going to be a sneaking suspicion among the college graduate and by the employer that the Ivy league education wasn't really earned. It is just an overall unethical policy against whites and Asians and one that hurts those it intends to help by flunking them out with expensive Ivy league price tag student loans that they'll struggle to pay back because they don't have a college degree.

It’s hard to say. It does seem like the dem worshiping of black people has started to alienate other groups, but some of them either buy into it themselves or use it cynically as a bludgeon against white people, who they view as their only real competition
Yes, we saw a lot of that with the hilarious (in a dark way) blaming of black-on-Asian violence on white supremacy. I have no clue if your average Asian citizen actually buys into that gobbledygook, but their community leaders still push it to keep the Democrat coalition of the fringes together. The attacks on Asians (many of them old and defenseless) are also probably driven by the aforementioned envy because even with intense discrimination, they are still lagging behind Asians by wide margins.

I think ultimately the diversity stuff is something that elites love but the actual people don’t (even black people barely support or oppose affirmative action based on the poll) so on net it will probably be a drag for democrats for a long time.
The polls say that. I'm not entirely sure I believe that because the average voter of all races aren't super informed on the negative impact of such policies. It seems like Hispanics aren't huge fans, even though they do benefit from it to some extent. They seem to be fairly socially conservative, which is why Democrat floundering on economic issues is throwing them into the GOP's arms.

I mean look at the OP. I know I’m more aware of this stuff than most but I would NEVER support the type of people who do this. It’s fucking disgusting and ghoulish, I would hate it no matter what group it targeted and I know there are many good people in every race who would agree  
Maybe my exposure to online opinions and pessimism are influencing me too much, but I don't know that this is true, especially among college reeducated people. There have been plenty of white libs pushing for old white people to be (basically) killed with 'equitable' COVID policies, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a plurality of benefitting groups followed the same train of thought.

I am infuriated that America is in a place where an ad like this can be run on the air without one lie in it, but I am at least relieved that they are willing to point it out and fight against it. As more whites are overtly attacked for being white, more of them will identify with that- at least the ones that aren't broken by self-hatred.

I honestly think that different racial groups could get along and instinctively do want to get along- and getting rid of Affirmative Action is a good way of speeding that up. 
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@thett3
I’m a white supremacist according to this guy. I would take too much stock into what he says
Mharman
Debates: 23
Mharman
-->
@IwantRooseveltagain
Is Thomas suggesting that having a monolithic student body would produce more well rounded and graduates with broader wisdom?
Definitely not. I can't believe I'm saying this about a Fox News article, but this one seems pretty well written: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/justice-thomas-rejects-lawyers-rationale-using-race-admissions-diversity-dont-put-much-stock

From the article:

During arguments involving admissions policies at the University of North Carolina (UNC), Thomas asked state Solicitor General Ryan Park to describe the educational benefit to including race as a factor in college admissions. Park responded that in studies involving stock trading results, "racially diverse groups of people … perform at a higher level."

"The mechanism there is that it reduces groupthink and that people have longer and more sustained disagreement, and that leads to a more efficient outcome," Park said.

Thomas responded, "I guess I don't put much stock in that because I've heard similar arguments in favor of segregation, too."
He's not arguing for a monolithic student body, nor a diverse one. He doesn't care.

Personally, I don't care either. A high-level college is meant for high-level students. It should never matter what race they are. High-level students can still come from any race; there are many minority students that don't need affirmative action to get into some of these places. To insinuate that affirmative action (or any race-based criteria) is necessary, is to insinuate that at least one race is inferior enough to need it.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@thett3
Yep, I understood that.

But was asking what that had to do with white supremacism.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Nope, relative to the thread I was therefore temporarily captured by the American loop.

And so, the rest of the globe is temporarily irrelevant.

You guys are good at unnecessarily conflating issues.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@thett3
So, you feel shamed and humiliated then?
thett3
thett3
-->
@zedvictor4
So, you feel shamed and humiliated then?

Absolutely. I’m not sure I would be able to keep my job if I shared this ad publicly. At the very least I would face severe social attacks from people. It’s a completely humiliating position to be in
badger
Debates: 0
badger
I think this is all complete lunacy but so's a first world country with no free college, healthcare and guns everywhere. An "all lives matter" without those things rings a little hollow. 
thett3
thett3
-->
@cristo71
I can see the potential benefits of higher education being diverse, but I think our understanding of the word “diversity” needs to be more diverse as well. Why must it mean chiefly black and brown people who relatively underperform?
I think there is some benefit, if elite institutions were 100% white and Asian that probably wouldn’t be a good thing. But if affirmative action went away that isn’t what would happen, the composition of students would change but every group would still be represented 

And diversity of viewpoint and life experience is a lot more interesting and important than how people look and they aren’t interested. This thread is already on the cusp of being too negative and whiny but I really have to think that an applicant to an Ivy League who showed up to the interview with a hick accent would be rejected on the spot no matter how impressive he was otherwise 

By the time students who need AA get to college age, our education system— or their parents, or their life circumstances, etc.— have already failed them. These shortcomings don’t get magically fixed in college. Too often, AA students drop out and with a hefty college debt— a worst case scenario, imo. They often major in soft studies such as African American Studies, Rhetoric and Communications, International Relations, etc. These pursuits don’t help a kid get ahead in life…
I agree, everything good starts at home and the home life for a lot of people is really really bad. That’s one reason I get really annoyed at these hamfisted policies. It’s probably hard to change a half century long decline in the family but we haven’t really tried either!! 

cristo71
Debates: 1
cristo71
-->
@thett3
I agree, everything good starts at home and the home life for a lot of people is really really bad. That’s one reason I get really annoyed at these hamfisted policies. It’s probably hard to change a half century long decline in the family but we haven’t really tried either!! 
Yet recently I became aware of the missing black father allegedly being a myth:

So, what’s the explanation for academic underperformance, then? I have heard from multiple sources that one of the big problems is de facto segregation. Ok… then why don’t white and Asian students underperform when segregated?  Then you look at the “white privilege” checklist mentioning that white students are more likely to have a white instructor. So… black teachers should teach black students? Isn’t that segregation? And there’s Obama’s controversial former minister, Rev. Wright, explaining how black kids learn differently from white kids and need black teachers who understand this. Isn’t that segregation?

Below is an opinion piece trying to explain the gap (which is narrowing, last I heard). It says that even when black and brown students are afforded all the advantages of affluence and good schools, they still underperform overall. The final conclusion? Racism. The “soft bigotry of low expectations”:

One thing I will agree with— the US system of funding schools via property taxes basically ensures that richer neighborhoods will have better funded schools and teachers, but that is not specifically addressed in this particular article…