Can Google Replace Calculators?

Author: Mharman ,

Total: 33
Intelligence_06
Debates: 110
Intelligence_06
--> @Mharman
Nevertheless, Google IS a calculator. Is it only a calculator? No, it is also an online shopping junction, dictionary, web search engine, etc. Google is capable of doing anything within the range of elementary mathematics. Even if you try to scare it off with the integration sign and the matrix models, a few websites capable of being accessed by Google will suffice in handling those.

If Google "replaced" calculators, it is already one. If we inject a chip into our brain resulting in us being superpowered and can calculate even the most complex definte integrals in miliseconds, we are calculators then. It is not calculators themselves entirely that are being replaced, only the older generation with the newer gen.
K_Michael
Debates: 30
K_Michael
Programs like WolframAlpha, Desmos, the Google calculator feature, etc., ARE CALCULATORS. I generally use these more than a dedicated physical calculator, especially in online coursework, but there are certain advantages to being able to access advanced functions anywhere, without wifi or power. It's like saying, "can Kindle replace books?" People aren't going to stop reading novels because of Kindles, even if paper sales decrease (and even stop someday?) as they gain in popularity.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
I think to many people are fixated on what functions are available for doing calculations rather than the actual physical functionality characteristics of either a calculator with buttons or a touch screen device. People who do hundreds if not thousands of calculations  a day such as an accountant or book keeper  is not going to use anything with a touch screen. Calculators with buttons will always have their place and will not disappear. You could argue that the number keys on a desk top are the same thing but they are not.
Mharman
Debates: 12
Mharman
--> @K_Michael
You are missing the point lol.

I was simply asking how many people use Google over a "normal" calculator, and vice versa.
K_Michael
Debates: 30
K_Michael
--> @Mharman
You're missing the point that there's no difference other than the idea of a dedicated physical device for a single program that the computer you carry in your pocket can already do along with thousands of other tasks.
Mharman
Mharman
--> @K_Michael
That one difference was part of my point lol. Again, I'm asking who uses one over the other.

Mharman
Mharman
--> @K_Michael
I generally use these more than a dedicated physical calculator, especially in online coursework, but there are certain advantages to being able to access advanced functions anywhere, without wifi or power.
This was all I cared to know.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
--> @Mharman
Book keepers and accountants use calculators