The White Man's Burden in Qatar

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 33
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
I am absolutely sick and tired of all these westerners spreading liberal values to non-western and non-liberal countries. The West is not the spokesperson for the rest of the world and Qatar has the absolute right to enforce their own laws and values in THIER OWN COUNTRY.

This is the modern version of the white man's burden. When will the west stop their nonsense?
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I wonder if 6500 dead slaves would agree with this?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@SirAnonymous
Not a single westerner cares about that. They only care about gays.
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Your beef is with elite govt dick faces all over the world. The average Joe doesn't give a fuck about your country. You can kill every white man that enters your country as far as I am concerned. They go there at their own risk. I would never go to Qatar, not ever, if that makes you feel better. There, one less white man to worry about.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@sadolite
I'm white. The problem isn't just the government. Plenty of virtue signalers
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Dr.Franklin
So, stay the fuck away from Qatar, two less white men to worry about
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@sadolite
I would have no problem in Qatar because I would respect their non-liberal beliefs. In fact, I am quite fond of that.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Here Here Doc.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Maybe, but your skin is white so you are the problem. Your own words mind you.

SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Not a single westerner cares about that. They only care about gays.
I'm a Westerner, and I care about that. I have seen just as many complaints about Qatar's slavery as about their treatment of gay people. Perhaps that is just a reflection of what I read. Still, I don't think it's true to say that no one cares about the slavery.
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I am absolutely sick and tired of all these westerners spreading liberal values to non-western and non-liberal countries.

And this is you spreading your values, right?    So your thing is intolerance, and you are just whining about others that have different vales than you, is that it?  You are advocating the censorship of “liberal values”, that is typical of a person with your values.

The West is not the spokesperson for the rest of the world

And you are not the spokesperson for the rest of us.  The western athletes are expressing their values, none of them is claiming to be a spokesperson for the rest of the world. 

and Qatar has the absolute right to enforce their own laws and values in THIER OWN COUNTRY.

Yeah, and we all have the right to take our values with us wherever we go, if Qatar wants to host the World Cup, then they are inviting the other countries to come to Qatar whether they share their values or not. Qatar has the right to their values, and visiting teams have the right to express our values at the World Cup games.  People express their values when they interact, soccer players are expressing their values with armbands, intolerance is your thing and you are expressing it with this stupid post.  That’s just how values work.

This is the modern version of the white man's burden.

No it isn’t, it’s the modern version of expressing what you believe in, Qatar has established a world stage by hosting the World Cup games, and western athletes are expressing their values on that stage, that is just the way the world works.

When will the west stop their nonsense?

So you think “liberal values” are nonsense, but that isn’t going to stop anyone from having and expressing their values, so the answer to your question is never.

Fact is, the times are changing, the world is becoming more diverse and more tolerant, your values just haven’t kept up, the real question is when will you stop living in the past.

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@sadolite
Maybe, but your skin is white so you are the problem. Your own words mind you.

Qatar has no problem with whites. They have a problem with western liberalism
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@SirAnonymous
From what I've seen? Not at all close.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Sidewalker
And this is you spreading your values, right?    So your thing is intolerance, and you are just whining about others that have different vales than you, is that it?  You are advocating the censorship of “liberal values”, that is typical of a person with your values.

Not whining at all. The only whining is coming from liberals who aren't allowed to enter Qatar because they purposely provoke the authorities there.

And you are not the spokesperson for the rest of us.  The western athletes are expressing their values, none of them is claiming to be a spokesperson for the rest of the world. 

As a general attitude, the west projects their values onto the world and expects everybody else to conform to them. When Iraq was invaded in 2003, homosexuality was instantly decriminalized.

Yeah, and we all have the right to take our values with us wherever we go, if Qatar wants to host the World Cup, then they are inviting the other countries to come to Qatar whether they share their values or not. Qatar has the right to their values, and visiting teams have the right to express our values at the World Cup games.  People express their values when they interact, soccer players are expressing their values with armbands, intolerance is your thing and you are expressing it with this stupid post.  That’s just how values work.
And countries have the absolute right to refuse to participate in the World Cup. Qatar is the host nation, which means nations must willingly agree to abide by their values when they enter. You don't enter your friends house and shit on everybody there. Have some respect.

No it isn’t, it’s the modern version of expressing what you believe in, Qatar has established a world stage by hosting the World Cup games, and western athletes are expressing their values on that stage, that is just the way the world works.
Again, all athletes are liable to the host's rules.

So you think “liberal values” are nonsense, but that isn’t going to stop anyone from having and expressing their values, so the answer to your question is never.

Fact is, the times are changing, the world is becoming more diverse and more tolerant, your values just haven’t kept up, the real question is when will you stop living in the past.
No I will never stop "living in the past" because I am fundamentally right.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I am against Qatar and won't be watching this world cup, that is a fact. I may watch highlights after a match but I am deadset to boycott it.

That said, I agree that it is very strange people are only against Qatar when every single Islamic nation on Earth is homophobic, abuses their workers and is known for corruption at many levels whether it be governmental or corporate. The only aspect of corruption that tends to be higher in Christian nations than Islamic ones is the domestic level as in a personal individual paying off the police tends to not work as well in a corrupt Islamic nation as a corrupt Christian one.

I am against Sharia law with a passion and know Qatar to be abusive to their poorest and most vulnerable citizens as well as anti-LGBTQ but I am surprised that still the left-wing liberals are so blinded as to what the root issue with Qatar is. How many nations must be exposed until we as the left-wing progressives and liberals, finally condemn Islam and Sharia law instead of being its ardent defender against the right-wing conservatives of our own nations who are slowly coming to realise they have more in common with Sharia society than liberals and progressives of their own nation?

This really seems odd to me. I guess I just don't get cancel culture and don't comprehend why to support the cultures responsible for the most brutal and widespread cancelling of them all; Sharia ones. I am very grateful to the right-wing in certain nations for having their guard up with Islam and its spread inside of them, they may ironically be the reason that the West doesn't turn hyperconservative via Sharia spreading.

Anyone who calls this racism and bigotry is a fool. It is not racist to notice that only 15% of Muslims are even the race of Arab that it originated with; meaning it's been 85% effective at converting/reverting other ethnicities into it, as is:

Although Islam is often associated with the Arab world and the Middle East, fewer than 15 percent of Muslims are Arab. 

Anybody at all who isn't worried about how effective Islam is at spreading and converting other cultures, ethnicities and entire nations towards it, is sorely misinformed and lacking the data. I repeat, Islam not only converted almost every single Arab towards it, it has thus far been 85% (rounded down) effective at converting/reverting other ethnicities to it in spite of any forces or influence against said conversion/reversion. It is also one of the only religions at all to be consistently growing in percentage and population for its entire existence, others are either shrinking or have hit a plateau. It barely loses any and is very effective at converting newcomers.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@RationalMadman
At least your consistent. I personally find the constant conservative crusade against muslims a bit annoying.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I find it refreshing but in time I think it will become secular world vs Islam, Idk where certain people will stand on it, who are religious. I predict this will be 3 generations away anyway so it's not like I have to live through that.
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Dr.Franklin
So its not a "white mans burden" One could argue it's a black mans burden as they are predominantly liberal.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@sadolite
"White man's burden" is simply the phrase that refers to the fact that the west tries to spread their "enlightened" ideology to the rest of the world. It's not necessarily racial 
sadolite
sadolite
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Then quit saying its a white mans burden and call it what it really is. It's a political  liberal ideological burden, according to your words.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@sadolite
The white man's burden describes the west spreading liberalism worldwide and always has
sadolite
sadolite
"The white man's burden describes the west spreading liberalism worldwide and always has' That's a narrative  you choose to buy into and always will. Long live perpetual racism and victimhood.

Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@Dr.Franklin
History is full of people spreading values. Spreading values isn’t bad in and of itself. You need to actually talk specifics about peaceful and non-peaceful means and what any given value entails. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Reece101
Qatar is the host nation. Let them determine their own values
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Dr.Franklin
And let guests determine theirs. This type of logic goes both ways. 

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Reece101
Host gets priority
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Priority for what?

11 days later

ahiyah
ahiyah
-->
@Reece101
lol, you're totally missing the point. 

What do you think of Muslims who come to the West and try to spread their values, especially by using force? No one is criticizing Qatar saying "oh, it would be better if they were this way"...they were advocating FORCED change. They said that the World Cup should be boycotted, that no one should go, that Qatar should not host it, that Qatar should change their rules and their values to host it, etc. That is forcing our values on another nation without their consent, which means nothing has changed for the West and that progressive liberals are all the things they claim to hate; racist, bigoted, intolerant, and hateful.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@ahiyah
This isn’t a West vs whatever competition. This just goes to show how ideologically insecure you are. No specifics at all. 

ahiyah
ahiyah
-->
@Reece101
Then what do you propose it is? These are *western* people making demands and passing judgment on *Middle Eastern* people, lol. That much should be clear to anyone.

ideologically insecure
Oh pls, do expound. No one will have a clue what you're trying to say otherwise.

If you read my comment to you again, you'll see that I was extremely clear about my stance. To explain it in even simpler terms: there was no diplomatic, friendly, or nuanced discussion about Qatar's values and laws. Instead, we tried to impose our views on Qatar and it was not consenting. Qatar don't want to emulate the West, so this was really futile and arrogant on our part. Again, consider "consent" and the importance of that when it comes to having a dialogue and wanting the other party to understand or change in some way. Resorting to threats like we will boycott or we will stop the World Cup from being held there is NOT "peaceful" or an example of people "determining their values"; it is *forcing* another nation to be like you and punishing them if they aren't.

And really, ideology should be irrelevant. We should be able to show tolerance toward another nation without letting our ideology get in the way. Why are people so immature and narcissistic these days? Are you one of them? 😆