How much has Christianity fucked people up psychologically?

Author: n8nrgim

Total: 60
FLRW
Debates: 0
FLRW

That's Lucifer Morningstar. He called me and told me what stock to trade.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@FLRW
I gamble high stakes sometimes, and winning and losing heaps on shit like the bounce  of  a oblong shaped  ball ( only in the last seconds )  has had me thanking and asking god quite a few times. 
Gambling  even got me to prayer once of twice. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
If we had like one group called the christians,  that would be cool. 
But the christians split into a group that we now know as  " the christians  " 
Then one day the christians had a big argument , ( rubble,  rubble , rubble ) thus dividing the church. one half went this way the other that 
The bigger and stronger group was known as the christians,  whilst the small keep to themselves lot,  them guys are known as the chistians.   

There has to be close to a dozen different kinds. ( hehehe ) 

To simplify.
Them few hundred of christians are ok. 
Them christians are a bit messed up. 
Them ones are bad, actually No they are ok. Sorry sorry they are good. 
Butttttt
Them guys there , the christians are a terrible terrible group. 
Oh and these guys here. The christians,  they eat kids. 
This lot over here The christians are really really good.
And then there are these guys. They are monsters,  they call themselves,  the christians.

How much has Christianity messed up people

Simply × 10
 Christianity hasn't messed up people,  but it so has. 

Simpler  × 100 
Its just Normal shit.  

Simp × 1000
Christianity effects  people whom allow it too.  

And then there's Christians. 

We are talking about the christians not the christians hey? 

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
The Jehovah witnesses aka christians are not very nice

23 days later

Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@n8nrgim
I'm a solid christian in my beliefs. I believe in the afterlife and that God is love. I have concluded that the best way reconcile all this is to say God loves everyone but there r consequences to our actions. 
Sounds like a reasonable position. 

I grew up catholic so that catholic guilt colors my psyche. But beyond that, even focusing on the words of Jesus instead of the rest of the new testament can be disheartening. He said we r judged by how we act, we can't know we r saved, some sins r unforgivable. What do those of us think who know we r wretched sinners? Modern protestantism gives a different spin on all these issues, but if we take the gospels as they r, it can be very upsetting. No wonder there's so much depression and sorrow in the world.
I'm not sure that this explains depression and sorrow. After all, depression and sorrow existed before the church and before Jesus wrote or said those words. In fact it is probably true to say that the world is a lot less depressed and sorrowful since Jesus came into the world.  At least now there is a certain hope that did not exist prior to then. 

Also, surely it is a positive thing when someone can expose us to the realities of the world as it actually is?  The old adage that it is only when we admit our problems, that we can begin to address them must have some weight. Denial of a problem doesn't help.  Yet, when someone reveals the truth and the solution to it, then surely that must be a positive. After all, if Jesus had offered a solution that didn't work, it would be evident by now. The thing is - billions of people in history testify to the worth and value of Jesus' words.  Of course, this doesn't make numbers a test of truth. Yet, it certainly doesn't make it wrong either. 

The answer to the question that you posed in your title is - to those who believe, it has not caused damaged - but to those who don't believe - it is totally devastating to them on almost every level.  And yet despite the problems of the latter group, even they have the possibility of turning things around. And they retain this possibility until the moment they die. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Your closing statement is a bit of a troll statement as you well know. (Trolling is a popular subject at the moment)

Acceptance of the unknown is something we all have to deal with.

Fantasy hypotheses are what they are, and for sure may give some people reassurance.

I personally, am content with my existence. And simply look upon death as the end of my life.

And the older I get the more accepting of death I become. No GOD required.

And if there is a GOD, I'm sure that they understand everything.

And have a right laugh at some of the stuff humans get up to. Theist and atheists alike.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
Nope, no trolling there. 

Of course, the definition of trolling might have changed. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
I would disagree.

The statement in question was designed to provoke a response.

it is totally devastating to them on almost every level.
A typically trite and insubstantial jibe.

What is devastated totally?

What levels?

Almost every, so not totally then?

Just a provocative trolling comment.

BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas

MISS TRADESECRET, whose gender went from a “MAN TO A WOMAN,” and then to “OTHER,” then went to her being 53 years old, then 12 years old, then changed to being 14 years old, Debate Runaway on Jesus' true MO,  Bible denier of Jesus being God in the OT, the runaway to what division of Christianity she follows, the pseudo-christian that has committed the Unpardonable Sin, the number 1 Bible ignorant fool regarding the Noah's Ark narrative, SHE SAYS THAT OFFSPRING THAT CURSE THEIR PARENTS SHOULD BE KILLED, states there is FICTION within the scriptures, and is guilty of Revelation 22:18-19, 2 Timothy 4:3, and 1 Timothy 2:12. She obviously had ungodly Gender Reassignment Surgery, Satanic Bible Rewriter, she goes against Jesus in not helping the poor, teaches Christianity at Universities in a “blind leading the blind” scenario, and is a False Prophet, says that Jesus is rational when He commits abortions and makes His creation eat their children, and that Jesus is rational when He allows innocent babies to be smashed upon the rocks, will not debate me on the Trinity Doctrine or the Virgin Birth, has a myriad of EXCUSES not to answer your questions, and says that the Bible contradicts itself, she is a hypocrite, and she is "AN ADMITTED SEXUAL DEVIANT!!!!!”

YOUR QUOTE PERTAINING TO REALITY OF THE WORLD: "Also, surely it is a positive thing when someone can expose us to the realities of the world as it actually is?"

Conversely dear, how about the reality that our Christianity has a brutal serial killer named Jesus as God, that as shown, is hardly ever loving and forgiving?  How do you deal with this reality other than to HIDE from it?

JESUS IS THE LIVING GOD: “For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.” (1 Timothy 4:10)”

Therefore Miss Tradesecret, I know, I know, you have to RUN AWAY from this post and many others because you just can't address it and remain intelligent looking in the aftermath because you are Bible inept.

THE REALITY OF JESUS BEING A GENOCIDAL BRUTAL KILLER OF INNOCENT INFANTS AS GOD:

JESUS SAID: Samaria shall bear her guilt, because she has rebelled against her God; they shall fall by the sword; their little ones shall be dashed in pieces, and their pregnant women ripped open.” (Hosea 13:16)

JESUS SAID: “Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.” (1 Samuel; 15:3)

JESUS MURDERED THE FIRST BORN OF EGYPT: At midnight the Lord struck down all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh who sat on his throne to the firstborn of the captive who was in the dungeon, and all the firstborn of the livestock. And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he and all his servants and all the Egyptians. And there was a great cry in Egypt, for there was not a house where someone was not dead.” (Exodus 12:29-30)

The innocent infants have no concept of what their parents did in not pleasing our brutal killer Jesus, therefore why did He make sure that these innocent infants were to be murdered in brutal and horrific ways, along with their parents? And, especially when Jesus had pregnant women "RIPPED OPEN" as well in killing the innocent zygote or fetus within?  Get it dear? Huh?

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN LIKE "MISS TRADESECRET" THAT CAN'T DEBATE ME BECAUSE SHE IS TO SCARED, AND EMBARRASSED TO EVEN TRY, WILL BE ... ?
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
I would disagree.

The statement in question was designed to provoke a response.

it is totally devastating to them on almost every level.
A typically trite and insubstantial jibe.

What is devastated totally?

What levels?

Almost every, so not totally then?

Just a provocative trolling comment.
Ok. I see what you mean.  Thanks for explaining it to me.  Your understanding of my words "it is totally devastating to them on almost every level" is that they are trite and a jibe which is intended to provoke a response. This therefore for you is an example of "trolling".  A provocative trolling comment. 

Well ok. Certainly it is a provocative comment. That doesn't make it trite, of course, or a jibe either.  The question of this entire post is "How much has Christianity F.... people up Psychologically?  I was answering the question.  My answer essentially was that Christianity's impact upon people depended upon whether you believe or don't believe. Yes, I used a generalisation. Many people for instance who believe have also been damaged by others within the church.  And many people who don't believe have not been damaged by Christianity because its influence has rarely touched them.  There are always going to be exceptions to any generalisation.  

In relation to the specifics though, there is a general trend by the Left in today's society to reduce the impact of Christianity in our society. They have lobbied to get rid of prayers out of schools. They have lobbied to get rid of the nativity scenes at Christmas. They have lobbied to ensure that Christian influence is removed from almost every arena in society. In some places, churches are not even permitted to preach their own gospel, but a watered down version of it that resembles more of an eclective ceremony than anything Christian.  The reasons for this reductionist approach to Christianity is that it is harmful on society. It is harmful on children. It is harmful on a cohesive society.  The fact that these lobby groups have such a broad brush - shows how total they think Christianity is destroying people's lives.  

Now it is true, that this pervasive brush of the LEFT lobby groups has not gone everywhere and is not as thick in some places as others.  Yet, this diminishing of the Christian religion and its influence is not coming from those who believe - but from those who don't believe.  And it also true that not all those who don't believe share in this vision of the world by the LEFT.  Yes, it is a generalisation, yet it is a real thing.  

Freud stated that sin is a device to guilt people into doing the right thing. Marx declared that religion was the opium of the masses. Nietche tried to argue that God was dead. Dewey tried to de-educate religion  out of schools.  John Lennon - asked us to imagine a world without religion. Most of these people used religion generally - when they were specifically talking about Christianity.  

Christianity is an exclusive religion. It declares there is only one way to God. It rejects the rest as fake. It is not backwards in declaring it.  Yet its path is not by war. Although it has dabbled with it at times.  It is by peace and love. And grace and mercy.  Nevertheless, mention the word sin and that sin is the reason for the problems in the world, and people roll their eyes and say "stop it".   Sin is psychologically damaging for many people. Say someone is a sinner or that what they love doing is sin and it shuts conversations down. Entire groups suggest that even labeling something sin, may well lead to suicide or mental health problems like depression, anxiety etc.  

People who get drunk, drunkards would prefer to be called alcholics rather than a drunk. A drunk implies lack of self control which is sin as opposed to an alcoholic which is a disease. People can't help their diseases. Or their genetics. But call it sin. and it is pyschologically damaging. Most of our known sins are now diseases. Adultery and promiscurity is sex addiction.  Theft has become kleptomania. Call it a disease and it is not my fault. 

And the sad thing is that once you call it a disease, it can no longer really be cured. It can be managed.  Strange really. Once upon a time a disease might be cured. And I guess for some they still are. But these days - mental health diseases are never cured.  Alcoholics can't be cured. The next drink is always the enemy.

Ironically, Christianity would teach at least historically, that drunkardness is a sin which can be cured. And being cured, is not getting rid of the desire to have another drink. But to learn self-control. We call it redemption.  Alchol is not the enemy. Abuse of it is - which is due to your own sin. 

But hey thanks for your thoughts. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Well, left and right have similar aims. Control and power and all the social benefits that a position of authority bestows.

PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@Conservallectual
None. Evidence shows that devout Christians have better mental health than less religious people.
This is true, but it doesn't mean it doesn't harm anyone's mental health. 

For example, let's say you have 100 new christians and 90% of them as a result show improves signs of mental health. It doesn't mean the other 10% didn't show worse signs as a result 
FLRW
FLRW
Various studies have found that, on average, belief in God is associated with lower scores on IQ tests. “It is well established that religiosity correlates inversely with intelligence,” note Richard Daws and Adam Hampshire at Imperial College London, in a new paper published in Frontiers in Psychology, which seeks to explore why. One suggestion is that perhaps religious people tend to rely more on intuition. So, rather than having impaired general intelligence, they might be comparatively poor only on tasks in which intuition and logic come into conflict – and this might explain the lower overall IQ test results.
To investigate, Daws and Hampshire surveyed more than 63,000 people online, and had them complete a 30-minute set of 12 cognitive tasks that measured planning, reasoning, attention and working memory. The participants also indicated whether they were religious, agnostic or atheist.
As predicted, the atheists performed better overall than the religious participants, even after controlling for demographic factors like age and education. Agnostics tended to place between atheists and believers on all tasks. In fact, strength of religious conviction correlated with poorer cognitive performance.
 Not many atheists hijack airliners and fly them into towers while yelling Allahu Akbar!
BrotherD.Thomas
BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@FLRW

FLRW,

YOUR UNGODLY STATEMENT: "Various studies have found that, on average, belief in God is associated with lower scores on IQ tests."

BLASPHEME!  Don't you understand that my God Jesus has seen your statement shown above (Hebrews 4:13), and therefore will remember it upon your earthly demise as you try to enter the Pearly Gates, whereas you were derogatory to me as being a part of His Christian creation?!

“But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)

Let us know when you start smelling sulfur, because this shows that your time on earth in running short!

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas

You know that I am as old as Trump, don't you?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@BrotherD.Thomas

And no, my wife is not from Slovenia.

7 days later

hey-yo
Debates: 23
hey-yo
-->
@n8nrgim
1. Depression is a multi faced beast (metaphor) that often stems from inability to connect with others or our own emotions. If a concept of "you are not what you eat" applying to our actions is concerning, then a revisit to theology is in order. 

2. Speaking of, I ask you to revisit catholicism. Depending on which year was your childhood upbrining, there are some decades where chaticism education was lacking. For example, did you know that all sins are forgivable? Yep. Not a one that is not forgivable - or the better wordage is to be saved from. 

This part relates to "you are not what you eat." Because within catholicism, there are multiple points where a person is not evil because of evil deeds.  No one is wholly evil until that person enters hell. But how do we get there? 

Well evil is the complete  abscence of God. According to chaticism and various teachings, God allows us to choose Him. If we refuse Him, then we exist without Him. Heaven is our existence with God therefore hell is our existence without God. 
the Catechism emphasizes the fact that hell is primarily eternal separation from God. As CCC 1033 says: “The state of definitive self-exclusion from communion with God and the blessed.” It is absolute emptiness and isolation beyond anything we can fathom. The pains are quite real, quite literal, and consist of both the pain of loss and the pain of sense—i.e., they involve the body after the resurrection of the body. They “follow from the very nature of sin,” or they arise from the inside out, not from the outside in. 

SO, how much has Christianity f people up? The answer is NONE. yep.  None. For all possible depictions and examples are examples of human nature. From atrocities to war, these are individual human decisions that had been weighed by the individual according to the situation in front of them. The  outcome was their own doing.  Why? 

We can not blame a system the at its core is about forgiveness and peace. If I kill you how may we claim that my religion which says "do not kill" is at fault? I am choosing to ignore my own religion/fait
FLRW
FLRW

Richard Dawkins himself has joked about atheists possibly being "despairing neurotics driven to suicide by relentless cosmic angst" because they lack the emotional and psychological consolations of religion. However, emerging evidence suggests that convinced atheists may derive consolation from a certainty of belief in their own solidly-held worldview, leading to similar mental health to the highly-religious.
b9_ntt
b9_ntt
-->
@Tradesecret
 They have lobbied to ensure that Christian influence is removed from almost every arena in society. 
To say "from almost every arena in society" is laughable. 
Christianity is proclaimed in churches, on TV and radio, on street corners, waiting rooms, billboards, etc.
Christmas music is everywhere in public during that season.  Bibles are in every hotel room.

Secularists, such as I, lobby to remove Christian influence from tax-supported venues, such as public schools. That is because non-Christians pay taxes too. That is all we ask. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@b9_ntt
 They have lobbied to ensure that Christian influence is removed from almost every arena in society. 
To say "from almost every arena in society" is laughable. 
Christianity is proclaimed in churches, on TV and radio, on street corners, waiting rooms, billboards, etc.
Christmas music is everywhere in public during that season.  Bibles are in every hotel room.

Secularists, such as I, lobby to remove Christian influence from tax-supported venues, such as public schools. That is because non-Christians pay taxes too. That is all we ask. 

Taxes are a general problem. For the record, I don't think it is fair that a nation pays for the education of every religion or worldview unless they are a nation that supports freedom of religion.  (The only way that a secularist nation would be exempt is if they concede that secularism is a religion) Personally, I don't think the government should pay for school at all. And that includes both public and private schools.  The secularists amongst us - we are constantly reminded  - are the most educated, and perhaps the highest paid. This means that presumably that they are also the most likely to be able to pay for their own schooling. Ironic really.  Yet interestingly, it is the elitist Left who presumes that their children should be paid for by the government. 

I think honestly that it is children who suffer.  Either the government pays for NO children to be educated or they pay for ALL children to be educated. If they choose for ALL people to be educated, then they ought to let Parents decide upon what education their children get, with no qualifications.

I suspect you are taking my "almost every arena" and suggesting I am being too minimalistic.  Christianity is in every arena.   Not just almost everyone. I wonder how long it is since you went travelling and used a hotel.  In most Western Nations, the Gideon Bible has been removed from hotels, motels, hospitals, medical clinics, dentists, and the list goes on.  In Australia, we haven't had Christianity ads or movies that promote it for decades.  Our local Christmas Carols like many in our nation actually ban - prohibit any songs or carols that talk about Jesus.  We are not permitted to put up on public land or for public consumption nativity scenes, or anything promoting Christianity.  Ironically, other religions can on their religious holidays.  

But hey thanks for the thoughts. Perhaps America is still more Christian that the rest of the World. 
b9_ntt
b9_ntt
-->
@Tradesecret
Perhaps America is still more Christian that the rest of the World. 
Perhaps it is. I didn't know you were from Australia. I only know the USA, so I can't speak to your experience there.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@b9_ntt
Yeah, come and join us in the wild wild west. Our animals and reptiles and plant life are incredibly dangerous. But our people have become slow and dull and politically correct and worried about offending the sensibilities of anyone - anyone but the Christians.  Offending them is the newest game in town. and Acceptable. 
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@FLRW
Not many atheists hijack airliners and fly them into towers while yelling Allahu Akbar!
1  This should not be a surprise considering atheists don't believe in Allah. 

However, there have been numberous killings by numberous atheists. This should make sense, we are all human. 

2. I have taken similar IQ test as you mention. Possed a section that asked participants to select an image from a series/collection of images as the series change. Basically testing response time, how long does it take for the brain to recognize an image. Im sure video game users are well adapt to this sort of test. 

What would be your opinion of the test itself?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@hey-yo

The  30-minute set of 12 cognitive tasks that measured planning, reasoning, attention and working memory is not an IQ test. What IQ test did you take?
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@FLRW
Most recent is checking on iq after /during covid. Titled "great british..." What ever or such. I found it difficult but pleasureful.
I kinda criticise its effectiveness as it was open to anyone despite it being directly related to the u.k.  also, it seems to better to have individuals partake in the test before and after getting covid. 

Ive been looking for questions from the experiment you list. But have found none. Most articles just describe type of questions. 

What is your opinion on relation between religion vs intellegence? What might I take away from your post?
FLRW
FLRW
-->
@hey-yo

The estimated number of inmates in the prison system was 1,574,700 people. Of these people, less than 1% (. 07%) of inmates identify as atheists.
hey-yo
hey-yo
-->
@FLRW
The estimated number of inmates in the prison system was 1,574,700 people. Of these people, less than 1% (. 07%) of inmates identify as atheists.

I don't know what that has to do with my question about the iq. Im asking specificly about the study you reference. 

You ever been to prison? I have not. I hear it is a hell of a place. Many people are depressed, deal with isolation issues and continued threat of violence. Harsh world. 

Considering that athiesm has a lower population outside of prison, makes sense that such a populas would have a lower representation in prison. I guess it fair to say no one is entering prison for the sake of being an athiest. That would be unjust and unfair. Same may not be said for those apart ethnicity of a minority.

I pressume there are less people in political office that are athiests as well. Hard to say depending on country. China and all. Also what I identify does not clarify how I act. Shame but true 
b9_ntt
b9_ntt
-->
@FLRW
Richard Dawkins himself has joked about atheists possibly being "despairing neurotics driven to suicide by relentless cosmic angst" because they lack the emotional and psychological consolations of religion. However, emerging evidence suggests that convinced atheists may derive consolation from a certainty of belief in their own solidly-held worldview, leading to similar mental health to the highly-religious.
Being atheist is mentally healthy, because it relieves me of the burden of a perfect, judgmental being watching everything I do every moment of my life.
It also stops me from wondering where I will spend eternity. I am certain that the end of my life is the end of me. That helps me to accept death. I won't have to account for my life because I won't be. This is also a nice marriage of the personal view with the cosmic view. My life matters to me, and it is totally meaningless to the universe and whatever else is out there.

FLRW
FLRW
-->
@b9_ntt

Well stated.
b9_ntt
b9_ntt
-->
@FLRW
Thank you.