Award credit?

• EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 2,206
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @Deb-8-a-bull
    It's hard to deny that men seemed to play the dominant role in spirituality in past generations but I doubt there weren't any God experienced women. I'm sure there were plenty of spiritual ladies just like there are now, but yeah it was the role of men in those days so you could argue the voice of the female was repressed/suppressed back then which may or may not have been natural as men do usually play the dominant role in societies, politics, business ect ect….and the further back you go the more extreme it was. But it wasn't just in religion it was just about in every aspect of old cultures. But as I said, you can't deny there were Theistic girls then or now, they are free to express their creative spiritual expressions and experiences/thoughts ect ect. It's no secret really the writers of classic religious texts were mainly men but I'm not sure if that should only be attributed to religion right? that's just how most cultures were. 
    In ways we are anchored to religious scriptures of old because TBH people rarely except new revelations and sometimes for good reason but I've read some spiritual material from women that was pretty outstanding. They usually aren't the typical fundamentalist pew warmer though, more the free spirited hippie type. Even if you have a point here it's kinda washed up by the fact this role played out in all others ways of life when men dominated the religious arena as well as the world. Would it make a difference to ya if the Bible or any old scriptural text was written by female authors? 

• EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @Deb-8-a-bull
    Also don't forget, behind every great man is a great woman lol. We must not forget that even then women was mans inspiration, what got his arse outa bed to conquer the world.....of course their mark is within scripture somewhere beneath!!
  • Deb-8-a-bull
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Forum posts: 980
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull
    --> @EtrnlVw
    Nice post brother.
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    Forum posts: 4,661
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @EtrnlVw
    Would it make a difference to ya if the Bible or any old scriptural text was written by female authors?
    I'm not sure how much difference it would make to deb and myself but it may have made a rather large difference to millions of people indoctrinated into misogynistic abrahamic religions throughout history.

• Deb-8-a-bull
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull
    --> @secularmerlin
    That's a good question that one hey? 
    I'm thinking.
    I dunno.
     Oh and I'm a 38 year old rugged bloke. 
    I dunno. 

• Deb-8-a-bull
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull
    --> @secularmerlin
    I think of two peoples minds that must of been brilliant. 

The person who made carrot cakes mind. 
    And the bloke who said yeah, he said hey um ,, what we should do is get god to speak scripture. 
    Bammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

I mean wow hey. Their minds.

I also picture a bloke , its always a  bloke for some reason. 
    A bloke inventing the umbrella for a certain reason and then realizing it get used for the total opposite. 

And That's why i don't eat sun dried tomatoes. 
  • Polytheist-Witch
    Polytheist-Witch avatar
    Debates: 1
    Forum posts: 1,932
    Polytheist-Witch avatar
    Polytheist-Witch
    I remember this stupid topic from DDO. 
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @Polytheist-Witch
    Certainly not all religions are male dom8nated but you must admit that some of the most wide spread are suspiciously patriarchal. Cover your hair (or st least in church) don't teach a man serve your husband etc.
  • janesix
    janesix avatar
    Debates: 8
    Forum posts: 1,496
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @Deb-8-a-bull
    Inventing God's what?
  • Deb-8-a-bull
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull
    Inventing god's is really something you do in your own head 
    Inventing religions.
    It's much a muchness. 
  • janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @Deb-8-a-bull
    You still didn't answer, inventing God's what? You didn't finish your sentence.
  • Deb-8-a-bull
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull
    --> @janesix
    Yeah I'm probably going to give invent god's what? a miss. 
    My head feels funny.

• Deb-8-a-bull
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull
    oh i forgot the  FULL STOP.
    We can talk about that if we want.

• janesix
    janesix avatar
    janesix avatar
    janesix
    --> @Deb-8-a-bull
    Apostrophes, and where to place them correctly.
  • Mopac
    Mopac avatar
    Debates: 4
    Forum posts: 7,239
    Mopac avatar
    Mopac
    Yet...

The Ultimate Reality

Is not an invention.

• Deb-8-a-bull
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull
    --> @Mopac
    Correct.

• secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @janesix
    As someone who shares deb's struggle with dyslexia if I could translate. Inventing god(s) not inventing god's. As ypur friend I appreciate your patience with deb as it I sympathize with the difficulty inherent for a dyslexic person to make themselves understood.
  • keithprosser
    keithprosser avatar
    Forum posts: 3,289
    keithprosser avatar
    keithprosser
    --> @Deb-8-a-bull
    Modern scholarship implies that prior to YHWHism becoming strictly monotheistic the Hebrew god had a female consort, Ashreah.  Asherah was worshipped in the form of tree, or pole.

The 'pure YHWHists' fobade the worship of Aserah:

Jer 10:2 "Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not."

Those verses are sometimes used to argue against christmas trees!

• EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @secularmerlin
    I'm not sure how much difference it would make to deb and myself but it may have made a rather large difference to millions of people indoctrinated into misogynistic abrahamic religions throughout history.

That could be considered a rather one-sided opinion considering the majority of the Christian population are women who are free to believe as they wish. I admitted it was likely that the female role was suppressed and I explain everything in my post. It's not specific to Abrahamic religions it was how life was in general. 
  • Outplayz
    Outplayz avatar
    Forum posts: 2,108
    Outplayz avatar
    Outplayz
    --> @Deb-8-a-bull
    What have women created in general? ;p Que... Feminazi's 
  • Deb-8-a-bull
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull
    --> @EtrnlVw
    But these free Christian women you speak of were not invented back then.

The bible writers were a certain type of people. That im sure of. 
    No that sound silly. 

But above everything it seems strange that the bible was some how writen with what life in general was like back then in mind.
    That shouldn't play any part really should it.

It seems like the bible was written without so called knowledge of todays events. 
    It's like the bible was written without any knowledge whatsoever of June the 18th 3759. 

• Deb-8-a-bull
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull avatar
    Deb-8-a-bull
    --> @Outplayz
    You and i.

Well it's what I'm leed to believe. Although i highly doubt my mom and dad did what they say makes a baby. 
    But yeah. I know the baby comes out of the mummies. 

• EtrnlVw
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw avatar
    EtrnlVw
    --> @Deb-8-a-bull
    But these free Christian women you speak of were not invented back then.

I explained my position quite clearly. I don't know what you mean by "invented" though, you mean they were suppressed? I agreed with that but I explained why and why it was common for the male role to dominate culture. That included scriptural texts, but this is why I added my second post. Behind all these men was a beautiful women rubbing their backs while they were meticulously jotting down spiritual writings lol. Yes the female role was certainly not the dominant gender throughout history, but do they need to be? 

The bible writers were a certain type of people. That im sure of. 
    No that sound silly. 

Perhaps spiritual type people? TBH religions and spiritual texts are based on individual and collective observation/experiences. This is then collectively agreed upon and recorded for our convenience. But make no mistake about it, every ancient text will reflect its own culture to a degree we cannot escape that. And it was common for men to have control over every genre on life back then. 

But above everything it seems strange that the bible was some how writen with what life in general was like back then in mind.
    That shouldn't play any part really should it.

Well there are many things within scriptures brother. You have culture, tradition, opinions, varying experiences ect ect but you also have universal spiritual principles which create the spiritual backdrop or foundation for the soul to connect with. All in all religions are a source that individuals can relate to and learn from. But each soul was meant to learn and experience for itself, sources are just foundations for learning. 

It seems like the bible was written without so called knowledge of todays events. 
    It's like the bible was written without any knowledge whatsoever of June the 18th 3759. 

But spiritual truths are universal and they are objective. That means no matter what age they were recorded they are always relevant in the now. I'm not making the claim everything within all religious texts are legit no, that is not my position. My spirituality and experience is not dependent on the perfection of the Bible or any religious source for that matter. Rather I learn from and apply what is useful, discard what is not. Spirituality is no different than learning any other thing...trial and error. 
  • disgusted
    disgusted avatar
    Forum posts: 4,959
    disgusted avatar
    disgusted
    @ET
    I agreed with that but I explained why and why it was common for the male role to dominate culture
    And all of your gods combined couldn't humanise these barbaric cultures, why do you call them gods?