why doesn't congress ban bump stocks?

Author: linate

Total: 35
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
blahblahbla

Australia’s Gun Laws Are Not a Model for America

From 2006-2016, almost 6,885 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings. In 2016 alone, there were 495 incidents of accidental firearm deaths.

From 2005-2014, there were an average of 3,536 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day.1 An additional 332 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents.2

so about 3900 total per year according to the cdc vs 495 via firearms

According to the CDC, unintentional poisoning is the leading cause of injury death for all age groups.
and it's going up, not down.
I question the priorities of people who make arguments similar to the ones you do.

Australia-island, no bordering countries
Australia has an average population density of 3.3 persons per square kilometre of total land area, which makes it is one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world.
17 cities with 100k or more population
we can get into population size and racial demographics but I don't think it's really necessary since just the physical difference alone are good enough
but here take it from an Australian, pay careful attention to #6 if the U.S. can and should learn anything from Australia is this.

Personal conflicts biggest cause of murders in U.S.
“The pattern that stands out the most is we see a lot of intimate partner violence, mental health problems and substance abuse,” said the CDC’s Debra Karch, who led the study. 
While police and politicians may stress crime-fighting to try to lower murder rates, the study suggests that equipping people to better handle conflict may be more effective. 
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-deaths-usa/personal-conflicts-biggest-cause-of-murders-in-u-s-idUSTRE64C53R20100513

lmk if you'd like to read more and I can copy and paste some old ddo stuff here as well.

Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
groovy, how do you just ban bump stocks and under what criteria?  I'm not a fan of government making arbitrary laws so I'm curious how this ban could be done that wouldn't and couldn't be used to ban other things as well. 

Keep the language simple and easy to understand. Directly use the term "bump stocks".

Let's be real here for a sec, you know they will try to word it in such a way as to make it apply to as many other things as possible.  Much like the bill that would have essentially classified most semi auto rifles AND pistols as assault weapons, but yeah government isn't coming for your guns lol
Unfortunately, this is true. the leftists will try to use this to ban other things.

What situation would a civilian use a bump stock for?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Mharman
Keep the language simple and easy to understand. Directly use the term "bump stocks".
they will change the design and call it something else, fyi slide fire came before the bump stock so......

What situation would a civilian use a bump stock for?
it's not useful at all imo, it's totally recreational as are many things, if usefulness was a criteria then silencers/supressors wouldn't be regulated like they are since that can be a noise and hearing loss issue.

Mharman
Debates: 22
Mharman
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Makes sense to me.
KingLaddy01
KingLaddy01
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
this sums it up best, from another thread, but to the same person....

I don't have time to decode your autism. Either start making sense or do not post at all.
enough said.

:,) My life is complete. I never thought I'd live to see the day I became a citation. Thank you, DredPirate, for this blessing. It's beautiful.