This is why I support nationalizing the healthcare industry.

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 42
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog

I don’t think it’s fair; the US government spent the money needed to create these drugs, so the US government should own the patents and not private companies.  But I guess it’s okay if healthcare companies post BLM in their profile.

I don’t care if you post BLM in your profile; you shouldn’t steal from the taxpayer.  The US government paid for the production of the drug patents; we the people should own them, not corporations.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
I'm opposed to patents on lifesaving medications in general. The government doesn't deserve $1000 a month for every diabetic patient any more than Eli Lilly does.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
If you weren’t allowed to get parents for lifesaving medicine, nobody would want to produce lifesaving medicine (unless a government worker, but that requires free healthcare which I don’t support).  I support profit free healthcare, but not free healthcare.  Pay the $1 per 100 pills it costs to get and make insulin.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
They will still make money, they just won't have a monopoly on the production. If any licensed company can produce the drug, then the free market will bring prices down to a reasonable amount.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
The private sector didn’t pay for the development of the patents.  So they should have NO right to use the patents to make money.

K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
I think there's something to the government incentivizing private pharmaceutical research, especially if it avoids the issue of the government deciding it doesn't want to share with other countries. Not sure if that has actually been a problem historically though. And they should be able to turn a profit, just like with any other product, but the current exorbitant prices are unacceptable.
RationalMadman
Debates: 563
RationalMadman
The US will remain a shithole posing as developed until it can give its poor, no matter how poor, healthcare. It really is that simple.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
If the government funds the research, the government should own the patents because that’s taxpayer money, not the company’s money.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@RationalMadman
Westernite argument, but I disagree.

With so many people wanting to move to the US, we aren’t a shithole.  Latin America is a shithole, and many of those countries provide UHC for their citizens.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
Actually no, they do not, generally. Only 3 do.

Nothing in your deflection justifies the US being so cruel to its poor.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
If the government funds the research, the government should own the patents
If patents continue to be the reason the medicine is so expensive, then they shouldn't be able to patent it at all.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@K_Michael
If patents continue to be the reason the medicine is so expensive, then they shouldn't be able to patent it at all.
Exactly. Good business practices should be its own reward (and profit), not crony patents. Besides, you don't need a US patent system for companies to have NDA's and private corporate espionage security.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@RationalMadman
Actually no, they do not, generally. Only 3 do.

Nothing in your deflection justifies the US being so cruel to its poor.
Middle class Americans should not be forced to pay for the health bills of the lower class.  Just like middle class suburban families shouldn’t be forced to adopt poor children from rural West Virginia and Harlem no matter how likely that child is going to die without someone adopting them.

I support defunding the adoption system and anyone that complains about it can have an orphan shipped to their door.  Virtue signaling is all talk and no action.  Match your talk with action.  If you think foster care should merit ANY funding, adopt a child.  Don’t tread on taxpayers!
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
The parents make the owner the sole producer of the drug.  The government doesn’t have to make a profit.  If it costs 50 cents to make a serving of insulin it should cost only 50 cents to buy a serving of insulin.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
Alright dude, I hope you can look in the eyes of someone dying of cancer or with a crooked arm that had to heal wrong due to lack of healthcare and justify your assholery.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
If you do not support abortion and also hate foster care funding, you are literally leaving babies for dead.

K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
I think that profit is an excellent motivator for companies to continue develop new drugs. If we remove that incentive, new pharmaceutical research will go down. You could argue that the government could be more directly responsible for new research, perhaps even creating a new division of government dedicated to it, but the FDA already takes years and sometimes decades to approve drugs as it is, I don't want these people in charge of any more of the process than they already are.

7 days later

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@RationalMadman
Alright dude, I hope you can look in the eyes of someone dying of cancer or with a crooked arm that had to heal wrong due to lack of healthcare and justify your assholery.
This would be like me saying, 
I hope you can look into the eyes of a starving African orphan who hasn’t had anything to eat in a week that you would not adopt him if you had the funds to do so.
Guilt tripping does not justify theft.

If you do not support abortion and also hate foster care funding, you are literally leaving babies for dead.
If you care so much about other people’s kids in the foster care system, adopt one of them.  There are around 100,000 foster kids in the system and about 100 million social democrats in the US.  If just .1% of social democrats adopted a kid, foster care gets emptied just like that.  Surely out of 1000 random social democrats, at least 1 is able to adopt a child.

In Underdog land, I want to ban abortions and keep the abortion clinics open.  This means I want the penalty for abortion to be your wages get garnished $11 a day for a year and the revenue goes to sponsor a starving American child, getting that child out of poverty.  Both parents of the aborted baby pay this fine.  If you take a life from abortion, you should be required to save a life by some other method.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
The EU develops lifesaving drugs at a comparable rate to the US.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
Are you suggesting EU based pharmaceutical companies don't make money?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
They make money, but it’s from the government; not taxpayers.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
??? Where do you think the government's money comes from?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
I should say the government uses public money to develop new medicines in both the EU and the USA.  But the EU has the government own the parents whereas in America, we have corporate welfare.  It shouldn’t be like that.  If you use government money to make something, the government should own what you produce.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
But the EU has the government own the parents whereas in America, we have corporate welfare.
I have found no evidence online that this is the case.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
The entire justice system is based on guilt.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
I have found no evidence online that this is the case.
We have corporate welfare because the government paid for the production of the patents, but the corporations get the revenue form the patents.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@RationalMadman
The entire justice system is based on guilt.
I disagree, but what does this have to do with abortion and foster care funding?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
Did you forget what you replied to me?
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@RationalMadman
Did you forget what you replied to me?
Yes.  It’s why usually people quote each other here.  What did I say?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
Lol. I will let you solve that or later explain it.