This is why I support nationalizing the healthcare industry.

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 42
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
-->
@RationalMadman
Lol. I will let you solve that or later explain it.

I talked about my ideal penalty for abortion and how I don’t believe you should be forced to take care of a kid with cancer (just like how I don’t believe you should be forced to adopt a starving child from Somalia).  What do either of those points have to do with our justice system?
Sidewalker
Debates: 6
Sidewalker
-->
@TheUnderdog
What is a "social democrat"?
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
We have corporate welfare because the government paid for the production of the patents, but the corporations get the revenue form the patents.
The corporations get the revenue from the patents in the EU as well.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@TheUnderdog
Alright dude, I hope you can look in the eyes of someone dying of cancer or with a crooked arm that had to heal wrong due to lack of healthcare and justify your assholery.
This would be like me saying, 
I hope you can look into the eyes of a starving African orphan who hasn’t had anything to eat in a week that you would not adopt him if you had the funds to do so.
Guilt tripping does not justify theft.
I may be well-off enough to fund such things once I have sufficiently raised and funded my own (present and/or future) children to the age where they can be independent, whether that is older than 18 or not (I will need enough spare to assure I can do that long-term before ever spending excess). I am pacing myself in life and I actually do some volunteer work if you cared to know, I won't specify how often to avoid people being able to narrow down who I am beyond that. I do care for such endeavours but just as I want that starving person to get cared for, I wish their people paid tax for a public healthcare system in said nation and kept that person sheltered, clothed and fed. So, while you blame me, at least understand that my moral compass is not hypocritical at all since I do not have the resources to reliably fund many such people through their life and you kind of have to help the whole community, I don't fancy playing favourites with just 1 of them.

If you do not support abortion and also hate foster care funding, you are literally leaving babies for dead.
If you care so much about other people’s kids in the foster care system, adopt one of them.  There are around 100,000 foster kids in the system and about 100 million social democrats in the US.  If just .1% of social democrats adopted a kid, foster care gets emptied just like that.  Surely out of 1000 random social democrats, at least 1 is able to adopt a child.

In Underdog land, I want to ban abortions and keep the abortion clinics open.  This means I want the penalty for abortion to be your wages get garnished $11 a day for a year and the revenue goes to sponsor a starving American child, getting that child out of poverty.  Both parents of the aborted baby pay this fine.  If you take a life from abortion, you should be required to save a life by some other method.
I don't know what you want me to say, I am saving and pacing myself for things. I am not in a position to do that.

If I did that, I could be narrowed down irl for doing it anyway but I will at least tell you that I am not in a position to literally adopt people en masse in any way. I don't get why you are making this all about me, I am talking about paying taxes towards public healthcare, public housing/shelter, public transport, public education and ensuring all are at least clothed and fed to some degree.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Sidewalker
What is a "social democrat"?
Someone that is a hardcore democrat on every issue.  I’m not a social democrat even if I support healthcare nationalization.  The SocDems want us to get involved with Ukraine and want abortion unpunished.  They also want to keep the war on poverty (which didn’t reduce the poverty rate).  Just because I like 1 thing the Soc Dems stand for doesn’t mean I am a Soc Dem.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
Not accurate; the medical patents are EU owned in Europe.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
The people own the parents, not the corporations because the people funded the patents.

K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
You are making shit up. I have done over an hour of looking and could not find a single instance of this being the case.

In this article, the company Sanofi owns the patent for the Lantus brand of insulin.[1]
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
How could that be?  The EU has free healthcare.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
Which means that the government pays the corporations, rather than the consumer directly. This is where the limitation on prices comes from compared to the US, the government is the biggest buyer, so if they refuse to pay your premium, you're suddenly very low on customers. Meanwhile in the US about 2/3 of people have employee insurance or private insurance, and Medicaid and Medicare have much less coverage than EU public insurance.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
So my approach is the opposite of what is done in the EU.  They have companies own patents that are government funded, and I wouldn’t agree with that.  The payment is taxpayer funded in Europe, and I think people should pay for their own medicine profit free.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
I agree. The EU system is still somewhat effective at reducing costs, better than the US in most cases that I've seen, but they also pay higher taxes, so I'm not sure where the optimal tradeoff is. Personally, I would like to see patents on lifesaving medications (if not ALL medications) made illegal, so that any licensed pharmaceutical company can make and sell the product, and you can source it from whoever is charging the least. You can't charge $100 per dose of insulin if your competitor is selling it for $12.