Furries

Author: TheUnderdog

Total: 72
TheUnderdog
Debates: 5
TheUnderdog
Here’s what I think about furries:

If you want to dress up as an animal, I think it’s in poor taste, but you should be allowed to do it.  Free country.  I don’t support people bullying you for a choice I think is in poor taste.

If society is to believe that these furries aren’t 100% human, I’m not judging; I don’t judge for things that are victimless.  However, there are some questions people are going to have to answer.

1) Is there any peer reviewed scientific evidence that confirms that some furries are in fact the animal they claim to be and not a human being?  If there are none, I fail to see why this should be taken seriously.  Your personally allowed to believe you are an animal besides human, but don’t expect any resonable person to believe in your crazy delusions.  Delusions that you should be allowed to have and express, but delusions nonetheless.

2) Let’s say you believe you’re a Fox and you’re 10 years old.  Well, Foxes don’t get free schooling, so we would have to kick you out of school.  If any actual Fox was in school,  they are getting killed because they are a threat to the people in the building.  Either that, or they would at the very least be expelled.  If you identify as a deer, it’s all fun and games until someone shoots you for venison.  If you REALLY expect society to treat you as a deer, it means we can kill you for food (unless society goes vegan.  I try to be as vegan as I can be in my personal life, but I know most of society won’t join me, but society would have to be at the very least vegetarian in order to outlaw killing deers or any animal people identify as for food.)

3) What is a human?  If you want me to believe that furries that identify as a non human animal are that animal, you need to be able to define what a human being is.

Until all of these questions are answered, I fail to see why ANY sane person should believe these delusions.  Not judging anyone that is a furry, but if you are a furry, I do not believe you are any animal besides a human being.  At least as of now.

Now watch the media’s tricks against me unfold.
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
You know, furries are actually a very good thing to bring up when discussing trans issues in terms of is there 'too far' to indulging in a trans person's dysphoria with there real birth sex and its associated gender role.

See, a furry is obviously a human being by species but a species also has social aspects that just like gender is to biological sex is what 'being human' is to being a member of the human species. We need to understand that if we are to entertain the idea that this person with XY chromosomes is 'female' even, not just a 'lady' but literally a 'female woman' or if younger and we support underage transitioning, a 'female girl' then we maybe should let furries play out their role in a more literal manner or we are bigots.

That said, I wouldn't support the idea of reducing their rights to literal animal rights since that's kind of irreversible and problematic.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@TheUnderdog
In my experience (as a furry), most who identify as nonhuman do not wish to be treated any differently because of their identity as therian or other 'nonhuman' identities. They simply want to be able to indulge those beliefs in their private lives. It's not like they're insisting the government put "Species: Fox" on their driver's license. Maybe someone has, but not 1 in 3. It's no more harmful than those people who claim to be able to channel their past lives, or believe in astrology for that matter. Similarly, I don't treat Jehovah's Witnesses any differently just because they consider themselves to be God's only Chosen People. What they do in their personal lives doesn't affect me.

K_Michael
K_Michael
I somewhat disagree with RM"s comparison to trans culture. I'm not trans myself, but from what I gather, gender identity for people who choose to transition is far more important to those people than my own identity as a furry. A lot of trans people express dysphoria with not expressing their gender identity through their clothes, behavior, and often, physical characteristics. By comparison, you're not really going to hear about the furry who is depressed because they aren't able to wear tails and ears in the office. I don't tell people in person that I'm a furry, not because I'm embarrassed, but because I don't care if they know or not.
A lot of people use the term "closeted furry" in the same way you would be in the closet about your sexuality, but they're not really comparable.

I think a lot of the reason that I don't feel that strongly about my identity as a furry is because I'm only a furry as a nexus of a bunch of other parts of my life, like transhumanism, an interest in zoology, and a love of cartoon art. If I could get a CRISPR shot to grow a tail that actually worked, with proper muscle attachments and everything, I absolutely would. However, that's more rooted in my transhumanism than being a furry specifically. I would also gladly take a cyborg tail, or an extra set of cones to see ultraviolet light.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@K_Michael
gender identity for people who choose to transition is far more important to those people than my own identity as a furry.
that's because you get cancelled and told to shut up and act normal if you feel like you are an animal.
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@RationalMadman
Look at how NCIS portrayed furries and tell me it was any different from how trans were treated in the 90s.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@K_Michael
So, we agree?
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
Why would anyone feel like they are another animal? I am not presenting the idea that they are not valid, they are to an extent, I just don't understand.

We are smarter than all other animals generally.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Personally,
I think it likely that K_Michael is right,
Though I don't 'know,
That it's more a private activity, a hobby, and not taken so literally by the furry community.

Plenty of sports teams are are called some type of animal,
Even see people in mascot uniforms.

With the level of plastic surgery, one sees in some places, like the Leopard Man,
Though I don't know if he's a furry.

One can assume 'appearance can be changed, as people like, to a degree.
And if people want themselves called X,
Well, many people are willing to accommodate that.

. . .

The trans argument though,
Pushes for normalization,
'More than that really, it pushes for trans treatment as medically correct and humane,
To the point that children are encouraged in it.

Which, depending on our environment, evolution, 'could happen, 'maybe,
I'm not a scientist,

But then, another path,
Could also make humans a bit more furry,

. . .

As time goes by,
I wonder a bit about America's all inclusivity being a bit mistaken,
It's not true to the 'hilt anyhow,
People 'generally, have lines they don't cross, behavior they demand,
Community rules.

If America was primarily Atheist, or of X belief,
I'd be against normalizing and encouraging the belief I was not,
Which is not to say 'no discussion,
I wouldn't be for Re-Educating or executing, institutionalizing anyone,

Hm, but the 'encouragement, normalization people give opposing beliefs.
. . .

Though perhaps they are not opposing beliefs those encouraging.
Best.Korea
Debates: 264
Best.Korea
Look at me daddy, I am a fox.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Wu?
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Wu wu
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
OwO
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@Best.Korea
took you a couple tries, but now you've got it!
K_Michael
K_Michael
-->
@RationalMadman
The difference is that trans have been pushing for open acceptance and medical transitioning, while furries have faded to the background.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@K_Michael
In my experience (as a furry), most who identify as nonhuman do not wish to be treated any differently because of their identity as therian or other 'nonhuman' identities.
I don’t believe in hating those who identify as animals.  I just want to be able to call them out on their inaccuracy.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@TheUnderdog
Awe you saying I am not a weal fuwwy? I am a weal fuwwy and I will pwove it!
K_Michael
K_Michael
>w<
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
Plenty of sports teams are are called some type of animal,
Even see people in mascot uniforms.
Nobody in a wolf mascot insists they are a wolf.

If you speak English and believe you are a wolf, you are wrong.  Plain and simple.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Have you any examples of people claiming to be wolves?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@K_Michael
One got freedom, the other got oppression.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
There are people that have claimed to be wolves.  I had to use some animal as an example.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Do you have a 'specific 'individual, as an example I mean,
Not that you're wrong,
But I'm not sure what otherkin even 'mean, by identifying as a wolf.

“I don’t physically believe I am a wolf,”
aid the Seattle native on the show, the Daily Mail reported.
“It’s more a spiritual and psychological identification as a wolf, like I’m totally aware I’m human . . . but by the same token, spiritually I am a wolf.”

Take that for example,
Spiritual and psychological,
That's a bit vague,
Some people dye their hair,
Or live lifestyles where they go to dances and music,
Because they identify spiritually and psychologically with the look and lifestyle,

Like the Kings in Fallout New Vegas,
Aesthetics.

'I Was Born Human But Identify As A Wolf' | This Morning

. . .

"Otherkin are a subculture of people who identify as not entirely human. Some otherkin believe their identity derives from reincarnation, a non-human soul, ancestry,[2] symbolism, or metaphor.[1] Others attribute it to unusual psychology and do not hold spiritual beliefs on the subject. "

Though as this says soul,
I suppose some people might believe they have the soul of or were once a wolf.

Still, they're not going to suddenly start prowling around naked, or attack people to eat.
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
I’ve never met a furry that identifies as a non human animal, but I know people that have, so there definitely are delusional people out there.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Arguably we're all delusional about something.

Though of course outside the norms exist,
Or outside what an individual thinks ought be desired,
Or desires for their community.

@Self Idle Thoughts
People appreciate presentation, I suppose.

An Otherkin wearing a dog collar, vs an Otherkin in camping gear.

A Homosexual in drag, vs a Homosexual in a suit.

. . .

Arguably Otherkin would be brain related,
Though Trans might argue against this,

I'd argue people desire based on their experiences, body, and brain.
Thus, seems reasonable Otherkin also have 'different brain scans.

. . .

Trans make history argument,

Wouldn't surprise me if one could find individuals identifying as Otherkin in history.

. . .

If a human is not identified 'strictly by intelligence,
Would any other animal,

An argument for why it may be reasonable for otherkin to think of themselves as an animal other than human,
Yet be able to speak English,
Be more intelligent than the animal.

TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
Arguably we're all delusional about something.
There is a difference between opinion difference and being objectively wrong.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
Where does the opinion and the objective,
Come into play?

Also, I'm going to sleep,
Need to work in a few hours.
TWS1405_2
Debates: 4
TWS1405_2
I don’t give a flying rats ass if someone wants to embarrass themselves dressed as a pet. Sexual fetishes like this are nothing new or overtly harmful. BUT the whole “let’s confuse the shit out of your kids with the alphabet soup mental basket case mantra” is inherently dangerous. 
TheUnderdog
TheUnderdog
-->
@Lemming
An opinion difference is where many people disagree.  It’s objectively wrong to think your a wolf when you are in fact a human.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@TheUnderdog
If everyone had an incorrect belief,
Would that belief be objectively true?

I wouldn't say so myself,
True by 'a standard, yes.

And sure, I'd say I suspect there are 'truths, 'facts,
But I'm not sure I can 'know them, sometimes.
. . .

Well, it's a sidebar conversation anyhow,

Even if someone is wrong to the point 'I or society considers their wrongness a fact,
Doesn't always matter.