Basic Vegetables Farming - Farming Tools

Author: Best.Korea

Total: 12
Best.Korea
Debates: 251
Best.Korea
I would like to begin our basic farming thread by listing and describing basic farming tools.

Some tools are necessary for breaking up soil and creating better conditions for plant growing. Some are time saving. Some tools make certain tasks easier.

Planting stick

Planting stick is a very good tool. The different name for it is dibber.
It is used for planting seeds.

How is it used? You use it to poke a deep hole in the ground. Then you fill the bottom of the hole with loose soil, then you place a seed in the hole and cover it with some more of loose soil.

Planting stick makes it easier to plant seeds at proper depth. It ensures that seed is placed in good loose soil above and below it. This makes germination better. Planting stick also makes it easier to space plants properly.

Another good thing about planting stick is that it is very cheap.
You can even make it yourself out of any stick that can be sharpened to penetrate the ground.

Shovel

Shovel is a tool that has great uses in a garden.
You can use it to remove grass layer and expose soil.
It is also used to dig a hole in the ground to plant a tree.
That being said, using shovel to dig is not always simple. When I dig compacted soil, I usually have to make several cuts in the soil with a shovel before it can dig into the soil.
I would never recommend trying to force a shovel into the soil. Simply make cuts until shovel goes in soil completely.
Shovels can be cheap. Some can be very expensive. I think cheap shovels are good. I wouldn't spend too much money on a shovel unless you plan to use it a lot.
Shovel can be used to till soil. It can also be used to remove grass layer completely, leaving soil bare and reducing the amount of grass. This helps vegetables that are later planted to grow better.

Garden hoe

Garden hoe is a tool used for breaking up the soil around existing plants and between plant rows. It is also used for removing weeds and for putting more soil around existing plants so they grow better. Garden hoe helps with making soil loose and removing weeds, which is very important for plants.

Garden fork

Garden fork is also used for breaking up soil, so that it is easier for plant roots to spread, and so that soil gets more oxygen.

Bucket and watering can

Bucket and watering can are tools used for watering plants and making fertilizer. Buckets have other uses too, like collecting rain for watering. They can also be used for collecting vegetables and moving them.

Cardboard box

Cardboard box is good for making cheap raised beds or planting pots or containers. You just use duct tape to tape the cardboard box so it doesnt fall apart. Raised beds can be very expensive, but cardboard boxes can be used to make cheap raised beds out of them. 
You can also use plastic garbage bag and put it in cardboard box so that it is even more protected from water. This increases it's durability.

Jars for seeds

Jars for seeds are useful. In case you want to save seeds, good way to do it would be to have one jar for each vegetable type and save seeds in a jar.

Mattock or pickaxe

Mattock is very good for breaking up tough soil, in case shovel cant get through.

Knife

Knife is usually overlooked, but is important tool for cutting and collecting vegetables.

These are the tools I use the most. In case you have some tools in mind which you think are important, please mention them.

Next, we will do the basics of vegetable farming.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
What about types of fertiliser to help the plants grow faster? Such as crushed up bones or fish parts we don’t eat such as the head and fins. You could link this to your other threads.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
You can also use plastic garbage bag and put it in cardboard box so that it is even more protected from water. This increases it's durability.
Drainage is important for raised beds to prevent overwatering, so anyone doing this should poke some small holes in the bottom of the bag.

Best.Korea
Best.Korea
-->
@Reece101
What about types of fertiliser to help the plants grow faster? Such as crushed up bones or fish parts we don’t eat such as the head and fins. You could link this to your other threads.
This is a very good advice. People usually throw food remains to the garbage.
They can instead place them around a tree under mulch which would give food to the tree and is very easy to do.
They can also be used to make liquid fertilizer.
They can also be buried in the soil to make soil richer.

The amount of food remains thrown away yearly can be used to make over 100 liters of liquid fertilizer. This would be a strong fertilizer.

Adding 100 mililiters of this strong fertilizer to 10 liters of water and using it to water plants daily would be great for plants and would provide them with constant nutrition.
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
Drainage is important for raised beds to prevent overwatering, so anyone doing this should poke some small holes in the bottom of the bag.
I forgot to mention it. Poking holes in the bottom of the bag needs to be done. Without drainage, the bag would be filled with water. Too much water doesnt just kill plants. It harms the soil too by causing diseases in it.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Best.Korea
This is a very good advice. People usually throw food remains to the garbage.
They can instead place them around a tree under mulch which would give food to the tree and is very easy to do.

Nice way to bring in ants and animals. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
To Polytheist-Witch:

Nice way to bring in ants and animals.
Is a valid concern. I dont usually have problem with ants or animals. If it is a problem, then try burying food remains or turning them into a fertilizer by placing them in a bucket filled with water.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Best.Korea
That's so impractical and disgusting. Composting is pretty old technique. 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
That's so impractical and disgusting
Is not something I would say.
"Impractical" would imply its hard to do, when it is not. Actually, filling a barrel or bucket with water is easy. Then you just throw food remains in it.
"Disgusting" is correct word for it. It does stink after a while. It stinks a lot. However, "it stinks" is something I disregard, when I see how its good for plants.

Composting is pretty old technique.
Is equal to burying food remains or placing them under mulch. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Best.Korea
How much of this do you actually do or do you just post stupid shit? 
Best.Korea
Best.Korea
To Polytheist-Witch:

I did try a lot of it. I have a garden where I grow plants, some trees.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Best.Korea
At least that's something. Thought you're just off from some kind of wild fucking  tangent.