What do YouThink of Designer Babies?

Author: Reece101

Total: 17
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
1) Do you think it should be illegal completely?

2) Do you think it should only be legal to prevent life threatening diseases?

3) Do you think it should also be legal to prevent major learning, developmental, immune disorders?

4) Do you think it should also be legal for prevention of minor allergies, asthma, etc?

5) Do you think it should also be legal for convenient purposes? (For example if my parents made it that I didn’t grow bum fluff, I’d be so grateful).

6) Do you think it should also be legal for cosmetic purposes such as eye, hair, maybe even skin colour, etc? 

7) Do you think it should also be legal for cognitive/biological enhancement such as stronger than average bones, easier to build muscle, easier to lose weight, greater intelligence, etc. 

8) A no holds barred approach, anything goes. If you want them to have a greater number of arms, eyes, etc, or you want to splice animal DNA with them…
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
I would say everything up until 5 without question. 6 gets a little complicated with questions of race and stuff. 1-4 at the very least seem reasonable, though I'm not sure how much if any allergies and asthma are determined by genetics.
5-6 feel like stuff you could update later with CRISPR, and would largely be up to personal aesthetic preferences anyways, especially 6.
I personally don't have a problem with people making themselves stronger or smarter, but it would probably have knock-on effects through the economy as regular people are pushed out of their jobs by superperforming workers. In a post-scarcity world where people don't need to work to live, I think that removes my moral objections.
8...  I especially support the transhumanist approach of radical augmentation, but not of babies. If it was a choice you could make as an adult like plastic surgery or tattoos are with current technology, that would be fine.

Overall, the main concern I have is that making this technology readily available will also massively increase the risk of bioweapons. It's a lot less work to tweak the malaria virus to be more infectious and deadly than it is to give humans an extra set of eyes. So I do support the use of gene editing for all of these scenarios, I don't think a "no holds barred" approach can be seriously considered.
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
What can be done and what cannot be done should be up to the international committee of whatever medical doctors are in charge. If theysay we can't do something, we don't.

Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Intelligence_06
Why are you speaking like you represent the Chinese government?
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Reece101
I don’t, but it is probably because I live here.

That said, if you disagree, criticize my viewpoint, not where I am from.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Intelligence_06
Alright, do you have any personal opinions? You’re not a prominent Chinese geneticist are you?
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
-->
@Reece101
I am not, so I would leave the opinion to actual experts. However, I do firmly believe that us unprofessionals should not get in the way of these until they have made any kind of decisive decision.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Intelligence_06
Alright well keep getting those As
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Reece101
It would be the best way forwards for the Universe. If controlled by a singular Human State, solely for the benefit of Universal progression, albeit from an Earth-bound human perspective.

What the Universe doesn't need is a planet full of stupid and vain social media celebrities.

What the universe requires is clever technological innovators.

Best.Korea
Debates: 269
Best.Korea
1) Do you think it should be illegal completely?
I am certain that making it illegal would hurt the research that depends on experiments.
That being said, experiments on babies could result in negative consequences. It is not the case where we know that "if we do A, then B will happen".
Its an unknown area that carries lots of good things in case it is successful, and lots of bad things in case it isnt.

2) Do you think it should only be legal to prevent life threatening diseases?
To this, I would say if chance of death is high, and if modification of genes can make that chance lower, it would seem fine to accept it.

3) Do you think it should also be legal to prevent major learning, developmental, immune disorders?
Disorders usually make life difficult for people who have them.

To 2) and 3) I would ask at what scale does modification need to be done to achieve success? Obviously, genetically modifying every person could have horrible consequences. As a specie, we cant afford to threat our existence with everything new we can think of.

4) Do you think it should also be legal for prevention of minor allergies, asthma, etc?
Asthma was horrible to deal with in the past. Today, they have some medication that helps a lot. Allergies too are mostly managed.

However, if it can be correctly detected who will have these and who wont, it seems logical to do modification.

5) Do you think it should also be legal for convenient purposes? (For example if my parents made it that I didn’t grow bum fluff, I’d be so grateful).
I would want to be careful with how far this goes. In this case, it would be on a mass scale. We should not do it on a mass scale until we confirm it's safe on a small scale.

6) Do you think it should also be legal for cosmetic purposes such as eye, hair, maybe even skin colour, etc?
This does carry some potential. No matter how subjective it is, if a person is ugly, then he/she is likely to have a worse life.

7) Do you think it should also be legal for cognitive/biological enhancement such as stronger than average bones, easier to build muscle, easier to lose weight, greater intelligence, etc.
Greater intelligence is what I would support.
Stronger bones maybe.
Muscles might not be a good idea. You need to eat a lot more food if you have greater muscle mass. Plus, muscles are not that helpful in today's society, and wont be in future society where labor is abolished.
Also, muscles vs intellect improvement, I would choose intellect.

A no holds barred approach, anything goes. If you want them to have a greater number of arms, eyes, etc, or you want to splice animal DNA with them
This would be taking it too far. Moral problems are reduced if you dont consider semen as person. However, even those that dont consider semen as person would be outraged if we started giving birth to werewolves.
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Best.Korea
That was a pleasant read.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
I thought of a proposal, not sure if any of you guys thought so too or not.

Allow any repairments for genetic disabilities if and only if repairments to such disabilities are confirmed by peer-reviewed research papers to be possibly and reliably fixable by realistic means.

Disallow anything beyond "repairment". As for what "in between" counts as, I am not a professional, and I believe that is another matter for a doctors' convention, if there will be one.
Intelligence_06
Intelligence_06
Basically is that professionals discuss what counts as an impairment. To list some obvious ones, blindness, Down's, XXY, etc.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
Number 7. Almost fully legal, this is mostly so that way humans can keep superiority for a while longer, though it looks like it's becoming too late for that. 
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@PREZ-HILTON
Superiority to what, AI? The risk of AI isn't specifically that they become more intelligent than us, it's that they decide that humans are not valuable to them/should not exist. See paperclip maximizer.
PREZ-HILTON
Debates: 18
PREZ-HILTON
-->
@K_Michael
Existential threats of AI

1. Gray goo scenario

2. Mass unemployment due to general AI replacing every conceivable job

3. Singularity creating a signal to other civilizations that we have become a threat and have them targeting Earthlings for extermination.

That's odd the top of my head. There are a ton of reasons to be concerned. 
sadolite
Debates: 0
sadolite
-->
@Reece101
I think humanity will get what it deserves in the future. A bunch of retard congenital birth defect freaks of nature.